Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, believe me I now.

So why, then, are the enthusiasts so opposed to someone not wanting to do something that clearly isn't fit to function? And why are they annoyed when someone who had to endure this complaint about the 'creeping prominence?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A referendum would be like ticking yes on the Census. It would surely pass, but it proves little other than give people a sense of well-being without having to do anything other than drag themselves to a polling booth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And after all that you still don't know how it works? It's pure magic how all the referenda happened since 1937.....

Referenda are held because people feel strongly about an issue and start a campaign to change it, the pressure builds until it is such that a bill is passed in the Dail to hold a referendum on the issue. Now in the all of that time no-one has seen fit to start a campaign never mind to build the broad grass roots to get it beyond that.

You can either sit back and be content to just vote on other peoples concerns or do something about bring your issues to the forefront, it's up to you.

I don't disagree that it'd be nice to see, and if it was something that people could volunteer for rather than be required to do I could get on board, but it's not something I can see happening in my local Supervalu or Tesco.

Learning rote words from the homework copy is not learning a language. It's learning a specific pattern to pass an exam

A teacher of my acquaintance always enjoyed "Agus go tobann... ...cé a bhí ann ach Brian O'Driscoll/Bono/Bressie/whoever?"

My own personal favourite was "Is téama uilíoch atá á léiriú ag an bhfile sa dán seo." I only got to use it once or twice in the actual exam, but it was worth it.

In case anyone gets upset, the meanings of the above passages of Gaeilge are:

"And suddenly... ...who was there but Brian O'Driscoll/Bono/Bressie/whoever?"

"The poet is discussing a universal theme in this poem."

The Irish for "slacktivism" is "lag-ghníomhaíochas".

"the creeping prominence"

I don't think we need to worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think irish is the national language, the government has to provide documents in irish and english .20 per cent of our population is non national ,the economy depends on them to staff restaurants ,hotel,s , shops, .is someone really going to force people to speak irish in daily life , i doubt it.

irish is spoken in gaeltacht area,s , school,s ,tg4, also irish has a problem, the words for modern terms seem to be 3 times longer than english words .a minority of the population is fluent in irish, most shops i go to are staffed by 80 per cent non nationals, i cant even imagine trying to go a week just speaking to anyone i meet , i,d imagine the reaction would be wtf i,d dont understand you at all .the problem is young people know irish is not useful to you in real life .time is limited , you,d be better off studying french, programming, physics etc than try to speak irish perfectly .

i wonder how irish is being taught now, i read some storys in irish, i was never asked to speak a single sentence in irish, i cant remember how i did in my irish test ,or the leaving cert .i just remember peig and irish short storys all of which was about country people ,farmers or people who hated the brits .there was no connection or iota of modern life in the irish storys i read ,it was sad,miserable and old fashioned material .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The status quo is fine as long as it's observed in the same notional aspirational capacity as pertained in the 1930s. Problem is that a minority are using the stated primacy to drive the position of the language well beyond what most citizens care for. That's why we see the 'creeping prominence'. At the end of the day, the only way to address this is to keep the two official languages for the state but with English as the primary language for practical purposes.

Yes, but that's the point - your last graphic for 2000 is quite at odds with the official position on the language. And the amount of legislation, careers, resources and supports put into sustain it.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the 13 years schoolkids spend learning it and still walk out at the end not being able to have a conversation in it, says a lot about the priorities in the teaching of it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In fairness, that's just 'native speakers'. People who speak it fluently - and regularly- as an second language or were brought up.in bilingual homes wouldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Deirdremf mentioned that I might not be from Kerry since I used the Donegal word "Gaelic". To me Gaelic is the language and Irish are the people. I remember being in Colaisde na Gaidhlig near Baddeck on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia more than twenty years ago. Shortly after crossing on to the Island late on a Saturday in August evening we were told about a community dance to support the Gaelic College we attended and enjoyed ourselves. A few days later we visited the College which had a shop and restaurant, everything Scottish that your heart desired was there. The Cape Bretoners are ensuring that Scottish Culture remains strong on the Island. One of my sisters worked for the Irish Gov't translating technical and scientific English works into Gaelic. I had many conversations with her about the aggravation caused by what she described as the five sovereign kingdoms who were obsessed with maintaining the purity of what each of them perceived was the only true green version of the Gaelic language. I do not know if today there is agreement on one version for the whole island of Ireland. At the time it struck me as being one of the obstacles to restoring Gaelic as a working language. In Canada French speakers (mother tongue) make up 23% of the population the majority of them are in the Province of Quebec which is largely French speaking with the full range of education in French from Kindergarten to University. There is a great deal of bilingualism for example in Gov't of Canada meetings the Francophones and Anglophones speak in their mother tongue and it is understood that everybody understands what is being discussed. The Canadian Gov't needed my skills and treated me very well including expanding my language skills.The Premier of Quebec in a speech a couple of years ago said that 40% of the Quebec population have Irish blood. The Irish arrived there between 1845 and 1850 and intermarried at lightning speed. They disappeared into the Francophone community and all speak French. The Irish today are very supportive of the French fact and say the French were good to us when we most needed it and we are returning the favour. In Quebec today Michael O'Connell has become Michel Connel but he still knows where he came from. The Irish are doing very well all over the world it is past time the 10% that are in Ireland widened their horizons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I have no problem. With dual English, Irish signs, what I have a problem with

is millions being spent on useless things like printing all documents in Irish and English advertising in Irish only which most people can't understand it and I think Irish should not be mandatory in the leaving cert let it be voluntary like French or German I think Irish is like poetry or trad music for the people who like it good on ye art and culture is not something to be forced on everyone

No one is saying every child must be forced to learn Irish dancing

I grew up in in a small rural town I never met anyone who had the slightest interest in speaking Irish outside school hours but there's plenty of people who love hurling and gaelic football

As far as I know no one is forced to play hurling

homes in rural areas have acess to free view satellite TV or sky TV by subscription and soarview and of course YouTube and not just rte 1 and 2 and tg4

Freesat gives anyone acess to dozens of free TV channels for the price of an old sky box and a satellite dish

I have no problem with any one who wants to learn Irish even if they don't speak it perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

To me Gaelic is the language and Irish are the people.

everything Scottish that your heart desired was there. The Cape Bretoners are ensuring that Scottish Culture remains strong on the Island.

I am trying to figure this out. You have decided that 'Gaelic is the language and Irish are the people'. So that is the way it is. You then go on to say that the Cape Bretoners are ensuring the Scottish culture remains strong on the island. Presumably the culture according to each individual of Scottish ancestry?

Then (some) Americans and Canadians come to Ireland and Scotland expecting a Disneyland type place that stopped in the 50's (ignoring the emigration and poverty, other than the picturesque bits) just to accommodate their imaginings. And if the country has got it wrong, they can be enlightened and instructed. There are lots of examples of this phenomenon on sites like Trip Advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I had understood it that Gaelic derived from Goidelic, the branch of Insular Celtic (off continent plus Brittany) that comprises Irish (Gaeilge), Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), and Manx (Gaelg or Gailck).

So Gaelic languages (plural), or Gaelic for short to refer to the three languages or just one of them in short if it’s understood which of the languages is being referred to.

so in Scotland referring to Gaelic would be assumed as Scottish Gaelic.

in Ireland it would be assumed to refer to Irish.

the term can also refer to the people and culture of those that spoke a Gaelic language.

In practice in Ireland when speaking in English it’s by far the most common to simply refer to Irish as the language to avoid confusion.

if you try to call Irish Gaelic, people will naturally assume you are referring to the family of languages, the culture, the history or maybe even think you’re referring to sport.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

How many millions are being spent on printing Irish documents? You might be surprised.

There is money spent translating official documents into the two official languages and a lot more money is spent writing those documents in the first place.

Why is it a problem that official documents are written in official languages? It's not unique to Ireland, many European countries do the same. The number of speakers, has nothing to do with the cost. Whether 80'000 or 800'000 Irish speakers use the language everyday has no bearing on the cost.

Maybe the issue is the millions spent on official documents that very few people read in the first place?

You're comparing apples and oranges there. 2pc speakers v 20pc workers. Comparing percentages is great in debates but doesn't make mathematical sense.

Your argument suggests that 2pc of public servants would provide an adequate public service through Irish. The irony is that 2pc is probably the number that could deliver a professional service through Irish, but it is obvious to anyone that has tried that public services through Irish aren't widely available.

You forget as well that this is a right open to all citizens including you. If you listen to people's stories of learning Irish as an adult it's very heartening to hear the supports that are there now that wouldn't have been there 20 years ago even.

This is in the cinema at the moment, looks good. Don’t know how the op will take it - irish in the cineama. Looking forward to it, going to see it on Friday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/arracht-tom-sullivan-interview-film-5571211-Oct2021/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It still doesn't take away from my point that pretty much every single person looking for a service through Irish can speak English just as fluently. If not more fluently in many cases.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And what has that got to do with the price of eggs?

Just because you may choose 100 times out of 100 to ignore the Irish language aspect of something doesn't take from the fact that you are entitled to make that choice.

I was really struck one day when I was reading a novel about an Irishman who moved from Conemara to London in search of work with only pigeon-english after a run-in he had had with people in Galway (english-speakers; catholic-irish). The way the author described how the character struggled with learning English, how he had to try and repeat the phrases in his head and the various humilations he experienced over his pronounciation and lack of fluency was so realistic that it was no more fiction and it has never left me all these years later.

Maybe it's time we get over our national love affair with English at the expense of every other language. Here's a fun video I watched explaining how difficult English can be to learn. The western half of the country from Cork to Donegal went through this experience in the space of a generation. Very worthwhile investment, of course, but that outcome should never be at the expense or disrespect of where we have come from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Connemara man in search of work with no fluency in english is not in play today. Not even close. It hasn't been in play for a couple of generations. Indeed your average denizen of Connemara today would likely run rings around many Londoners today in the language. I don't have to disrespect the past to understand it is the past. Using it as a reason for present circumstance is on a hiding to nothing.

And yep English is a thundering bastard to learn. The noun into verb one can throw many non english speakers. You can technically say "I googled something" in Spanish or French, but a Spaniard or French person would look at you funnily. Though I don't see how it's germane to the debate. Russian's a bugger to learn too. So? And it's got nada to do with some "love affair" with english. It's become our native language. Just like the "language of the invader" became Spanish, Italian, French, even English itself. It is what it is. And as it turned out a serendipitous thing it was too considering it's now a world language. I have no issue with people wanting to learn Irish or choosing to put their kids in an Irish language school and that should be supported, but beyond that it's largely cultural window dressing and an imposed one in some quarters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And, then what. What are you arguing for here? I don’t think you are on the side of the oppressed by signs in Irish brigade.

The Conamara man is the past, correct, but he's our past and he also explains our present.

He is the reason why irish language rights exist. To ignore the existence of those rights is to ignore his legacy while also ignoring his living descendants who still champion the language today.

Now we are getting closer to why so many Irish people are attached to a language they are not fluent in themselves.

That is great you want to support kids speaking Irish, the difference between us is that I also want to support adults speaking Irish.

Irish, as languages go, has very consistent spelling and pronounciation rules, but celtic languages with their verb-subject-object structures have "barriers to entry" that don't help their case unfortunately when competing against the world's lingua franca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

For those that want Irish language official/government correspondence available, why not make it opt in? That way everyone that wants it gets it and it saves on paper wastage for those that just skip past it. Plus it would have the added benefit of seeing how many are actually interested/capable of conducting their lives through Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The English language word 'Gaelic' for use to describe language originates in 18th century Edinburgh as a means of describing Scottish Gáidhlig in Scots/English instead of using the more traditional Erse (Irish in Scots) which had become perjorative by that time. This ties in with wider movement which saw formalisation fo aspects of Scottish Gáidhlig and the formal translation of Bible (instead of using the 'Early Modern Irish' version from early 17th century). It derives from combining the word Gael with the English language suffix -ic (compare: Slavic, Slavonic, Celtic, Germanic, Baltic etc.). This just happens to be a homonym for Gáidhlig/Gaedhealg.

Up until this time the name of language in Ireland was always some form of 'Irish' when speaking in English. For example Queen Elizabeth I's Irish primer.

We only start to see the use of 'Gaelic' in and Irish context post 1800 when Irish became a minority language in Ireland.

In context of Donegal Irish there is a conflation of the English word 'Gaelic' (Gael + ic) and the word Gaeilic/Gaeilig which is derived from the old Nominative Gaedhealg -- Gaeilge derives from the genitive case which was Gaaedhilge and it's use in modern standard is reflective of Connacht Irish.

So when Donegal speakers say Gaeilic they basically using modernised spelling form of the nominative that just happens to sound identical to the word Gaelic (in english -- they are homonyms). This is like the way in Scotland they use Gáidhlig (nominative) / Gáidhlige (nominative)

Gaeilg, Gaeilig, Gaedhlag, Gaeilic, Gaelighe, "Irish" (standard and Western Gaeilge, Southern Gaoluinn, Manx Gaelg, Scottish Gaelic Gàidhlig) although Gaeilg is used in Achill and was used in parts of Erris and East Connacht

Already there for the census.

Pity I can't opt in to reliable Irish language services for the rest of the public service. Are you willing to support that?

Re: Census

Those numbers are very overinflated Having reread the latest census question regarding Irish it doesn't have any indication of ability, only frequency.

Re: Other Services

Such as?

How many complete the census in Irish? Not just tick a box pretending to speak irish?

Don't know, I tried a google but didn't find any information.

• Advertisement

It's the option to fill out the census form in Irish I'm referring to (not the question about Irish in the census).

Other services; pay my bills through Irish; apply for planning permission in Irish; use Irish at the local library; do a course in Irish that isn't about learning Irish; get copies of documents stamped by the Garda in Irish. Small simple interactions really, nothing too crazy.

Not a lot.

8,068 Irish language forms were completed in Census 2016 compared with 8,676 in Census 2011.

I'm pretty sure planning permission and most interactions with Gardaí can be conducted through Irish already, although if you're in the process of being arrest "as Gaeilge, le do thoil" might not help your situation. I'm not against companies offering bills etc in Irish, to those that want them, but with that and the other small interactions there's not much you can do outside of forcing people to interact in Irish.

And this isn't solely directed at you Upforthematch but there's a bit of a persistent attitude in this thread that someone else should do it for me. If you guys really want more Irish interactions or courses conducted in, but not about, Irish be the change you want to see, I don't think anyone is going to stop you.

"Be the change you want to be"

If you ever listen to entrepreneurs talking they are always talking about the supports and incentives out there for start up businesses. They talk about Ireland's "pro-business climate" and these are all buzzwords for a country that supports people who want to start businesses.

It's easy for a government to say "be the change you want to be, we're not going to stop you"; but it's another to provide the cash to support business.

There are a lot of enterprising Irish speakers out there you know and the same principles apply. Here's a nice shortcourse on foraging and yoga with Irish just as an example. https://www.wildirishretreat.ie/diseart-na-casca

But it's a lot harder to do your ECDL through Irish.

That said, the cold shoulder being shown by some on this thread would make you wonder why some people have this mission to denormalise Irish in Ireland (yet again!).

I don't think anyone is going to stop you.

No, they will just put up threads on boards.ie about the "creeping prominence of the Irish Language" instead :P

Why the switch from daily interactions and classes to businesses? I'm assuming you can speak Irish fluently, you could offer your time to teach a class or start club or any number of things through Irish.

Your question was "what other services" and I gave you a list that included local councils, libraries, the garda and courses.

No those state services are not readily or consistently available through Irish. Why is the onus on me personally to provide state services or courses? I never said one way or the other what I do personally.

The reason why I mentioned businesses is because it is an example of the way Government supports sectors. Another example is the big difference between saying to a sports club "go knock yourselves out lads, we're not going to stop you" and giving a grant to support building a new clubhouse.

I never said the onus was on you to provide state services. Government Irish language facilities should be available and if they're not I'm pretty sure you could take you local authoruty to court over it if you wanted to, but you want someone else to do it. Same with courses in whatever, bemoaning that they're not offered through Irish but being unwilling to do something about it yourself because someone else should.

What's at issue here is not supports for those who like to learn and live through Irish insofar as possible in the context that they are and will always be a small minority. We can mostly agree that this is reasonable for cultural reasons.

What is daft is the positioning of the Irish language through the Official Languages Act in compliance with the constitution, that places it above and superior to the language that the vast majority of the island speak, read and write in. That's delusional.

For example I have no objection to Irish town names etc on road signage where they are known with some certainty. But they should be displayed in a smaller font below the commonly used names for same towns etc. Except in Gaeltacht areas where all signage should Irish only. As things stand, the Official Languages Act requires the Irish form to be displayed FIRST and of at least equal prominence. This is an example of complete overreach, ignores the linguistic reality of the island and is a case of the proverbial tail wagging the elephant. Time for realism and change.

It's no win with you! Unless I'm giving ecdl courses in Irish I'm lazy or passing the buck. So I need to take a court case to have a basic conversation in Irish with a state service, like wtf? And if I did you'd be calling me a crank 😉

• Advertisement

Why should the Irish be smaller or in the corner of road signs? It suggests the language is inferior. Is this your view?

It's either an official language or it isn't.

They manage fine with dual language road signs in Wales and Scotland.

You're entitled to take them to court if they're not providing the service they're supposed to. I think those services through Irish are pointless because everyone speaks English but that's irrelevant, you do you. You could even have the case argued in Irish too if you wanted to.

If you want courses or activities through Irish but are unwilling to do it yourself you are passing the buck. If every Irish speaker has the same attitude I think we've figured out why they're not widely available.

I'll go as well, but I'm getting Deadly Cuts out of the way first.

Nobody wants to take anyone to court. They just want the service. You were told that, so you moved the goalposts and whinged about Irish speakers not doing things themselves to teach Irish to other people. Lots of us already do that, and lots of others are too busy living and working. It's remarkable the excuses noisy Anglos will make to justify themselves.

We can mostly agree that letting you speak Irish is permissible.

Who asked for your approval?

I'm not against people speaking English, but would they ever stop talking so much crap?

(Before anyone gets triggered, I speak English myself, so the above comment does not mean that English speakers make me literally physically sick)

Well if your right to Irish language services is being infringed, court may be your only option.

I didn't whine about Irish speakers refusing to teach Irish to other people. I pointed out that if you want to do an activity through Irish, including classes taught through Irish but not themselves teaching Irish the only people that can do that are Irish speakers.

Us noisy anglos can't organise and provide activites in Irish after all, that's all on you people.

Depends - what specific services are you requesting?

Edit- it appears you answered, so:

Pay bills - yes

Apply for planning permission - yes (although I though you could do this anyway?)

Do a course in Irish - not unless there's demand.

Copies of docs stamped by guards - again, thought this was available anyway?

USe Irish in local.library - id be in favour of having one irish-speaking librarian in every library. If this person is not available, up to you whether you want to wait or deal with the issue in English.

If the courts are needed, they'll be used. But I've had to take part in cases before on behalf of the State when it hasn't carried out its functions, and it's a costly experience for the taxpayer. So it's sensible for the State to avoid the courts.

I'm not asking noisy Anglos to organise activities. I'm just asking them not to stand around crying like tired two-year-olds while they're taking place.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone's standing around crying while you're doing something through Irish.

Advertisement