Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We banned smoking where others were put at risk.

Drink driving tackled for the same reason.

Thats public health and the same principles are behind covid regs.

There is the nanny state banning things for your own good where your behaviour affects your health only but thats a different debate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I am talking about protecting rights of others. You can do whatever you like, as long as it only concerns you. At the end of the day you would probably block the bed in a hospital but I don't go so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

You keep saying "rights" but it isn't a right. Anyway ignoring this, are you happy to perform an antigen anytime you go anywhere to uphold people's "right" to not be infected? You're double vaccinated but the public has no assurance that you're not infected by sars-cov-2 or other viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes missed opportunities.

The advances in mRNA tech may lead to a more effective flu vaccine, one better matched to the strains in circulation by cutting lead time. Currently strains are identified in Asia Pacific region January for the next winters flu season here. It could also lead to an annual combo vaccine for flu, rsv and covid booster.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some of the last 2 pages have been bad. Looking for permanent masks, jaysus. Some people have been affected by a dose of Stockholm syndrome more than anything.

If you want to avoid illnesses on public transport, then surely you’ve two choices. Avoid it, or wear a mask if you think they magically stop viruses. You surely can’t expect the law to make people wear unwashed cloths on their face in a bizarre push to keep yourself safe.

There has to be a degree of being an adult here. If you want to avoid illness forever on public transport, then go ahead, wear a mask if you want. But don’t expect the law to change just for your own fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No problem, Fintan...Am glad you see the error of your ways !

My point was that you pointed out a 'cultural variation 'in your post ,based on opinion/ personal experience ?

You then berated convolved for pointing out the same thing , based on factual information , because it was part of rural Ireland / border counties he was referring to .

On that point @Convolved many of the people not registered for vaccines in those counties could have gotten their vaccines up North with the earlier vaccine rollout there ,and will now be able to register for DCC on the Irsh system .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Its easy to say improve ventilation but it costs tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands in bigger facilities

Who's paying for it ?

It's not banned outdoors. People regularly have smoke blown in their face when they're out and about. Are forced to breathe in the smoke of smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely not. If people want to wear them then go ahead but making it mandatory wohkd be ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Did the weekly shop in Lidl this morning and noticed less and less masks being worn compared to even 2 weeks ago. Great to see normality resuming

Actually the problem is the mixed messaging , not Glynns video .

Its Coveney and Leo and MM al, rowing in when they should shut up till they know the facts and the advice and then go away and decide TOGETHER what they will say and do .

People don't seem to understand that it is public healths role to advise the public on public health ..doing what they are appointed and paid to do . Maybe he should have come out with that video or advice earlier but he obviously felt it necessary to raise a flag .

It is the government's role to take that advise and implement whatever measures , or indeed relax them ,as they see fit...but not to be coming out with pronouncements before they are informed and advised .

Its kite flying and posturing by those politicians ,as if we need to be reminded of all the leaks that have gone on before , and deflection tactics away from Budget 2020 .

Anyone talking about the lack of measures re housing and renters ?

No they think it is likely but still not said by NIAC ..misleading article .

On that as well no mention of high risk group so just a filler piece .

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thebronze14

If you are properly sick you really shouldn't be out in crowded buses etc...If you have flu you're going to be too wrecked to be out and about anyway. People seem to get confused between a bit of a head cold and flu..I think you are horribly overestimating the effectiveness of masks if I'm being honest.

It will be interesting to see what dates get listed on our 4th roadmap for removing restrictions and will we finally follow through.

No end in sight right now

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

What metric would you like? Don't you think other metrics would be proportional? How is it Anti-Vax? They are the facts whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hearing that the vast majority of people dying with covid were fully vaccinated is a darned inconvenient fact isn't it. Hard to have a scapegoat when there is such an obvious rejoinder, it really would be easier if those facts were suppressed.

you see no problem with NPHET intentionally undermining a government message. That’s fine. That’s your view. I 100% disagree and believe that NPHET and the government should have had one voice from the very start

its not NPHETs fault. It’s the governments for how they set up the communications, allowing NPHET their own independent platform through which they could undermine the decisions of our elected officials.

I’m certainly going to continue go in to the office

UHL is managing a massively underserved area after many smaller hospitals inthe midwest have been closed inthe past few years and promised extra services and staff in Limerick either haven't happened or are only starting now because of Covid . Impossible to manage infection control in a regular winter without outbreaks never mind with Covid .

There has been an outbreak in the hospital I think which is affecting their numbers .

The hospital is getting bad press for being under staffed and under resourced . So who is responsible for that and decisions to close smaller stepdown hospitals ?

I work in Dublin but it galls me that people don't know this when nurses and doctors and the public have been campaigning for years about the conditions in UHL trying desperately to raise awareness.

Waterford's highcase number may be being driven by a surge in mild cases in primary schoolchildren, but they are classed as family outbreaks ..Not requiring hospitalisation.

This group is accounting for over 20% of the high milder case numbers at the moment . Unvaccinated . No fault, no judgement , just saying .

They were 40% a few weeks ago when they bizarrely stopped informing parents re close contacts . Since then numbers in other age groups particularly 25 to 44 which would be common parental age has gone up .

There are communions and confirmations and weddings and all sorts of intergenerational mixing going on,which is why we are seeing the higher numbers .

We have all been enjoying this freedom but the fact that they stopped informing the close contacts in schools just when all of these intergenerational activities and mixing was allowed, was a mistake imo, and I have said this before here . Children are not vectors but they are going to pick it up however mild if unvaccinated as it is circulating in schools.

While contacts were being informed and notified families could protect those elderly/ vulnerable or make choices about whether they went out together or not .

I am not saying isolate or stay at home if not symptomatic but it would have made sense to at least let people know .

Antigen testing would be useful now, in schools and in colleges , and workplaces to keep outbreaks down .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another 2,180 new cases, 406 in hospital, down seven since yesterday, ICU 71, down two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Considering at this point there are masks readily available which are fairly effective at actually preventing you from being infected rather than others, people should not be forced to wear a mask. It's not 2020 anymore when medical masks were in very short supply. The "masks only work if everyone wears them" 2020 logic is not applicable anymore. If you feel that nervous about going on public transport wear an N95/FF2 mask.

It's not normal never to get colds or other respiratory viruses. You can try and avoid them all you want but you'll eventually pick something up and be floored by it since your immune system has been weakened so much. I'm not looking forward to getting colds again but it's necessary for my immune system so I'm not trying to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Why are you going to extremes? I am talking about flu seasons. And you are introducing other viruses and discuss it... You are discussing with yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I didn't think I was being extreme, so I must be confused about your belief that we have a right not to be infected by viruses.

So masks alone are enough to protect this right, in your eyes? Or are vaccines necessary too?

Note that post That Fergal guy got it axxxways ! The HSPC link is April 1st to up to SEPTEMBER 11th!

And @ FrOg hhas not even noticed that😁

You said FROM September 11th . It is UP TO . ! !

It would be better if you got your post right and quoted correctly. How about that for metrics ?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Nope. Good lad , do whatever you think you need to do. Far be it for me or anyone else (except Public Health maybe ?) to advise you otherwise .

Is it Ireland or the UK you are talking about btw ? You have said before you are in the UK some of the time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I think it might be you who has it arseways.

Go back and have a look there, if you dont get it I'm sure frog will comeback and explain it you.

And if you paid closer attention to the posts on twitter you would see that he has subtracted 1st April - 11th September from 1st April - 9th October giving the numbers from 11th September to 9th October. Hence the published figures SINCE 11/09

• Advertisement

Hopefully that is the end of the dispute over HSE figures. The question is why does the HSE keep quoting the number from 1st April to present?

Would you care to hazard a guess?

Advertisement