Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This was just posted on the AutoStadt.ie page on Facebook

I'll repost in entirety as it's the best post I've seen on importing

.......................................................................................................

Just paid the VRT on the R which was a mainland GB reg consigned in NI.

Just to clarify anyone asking about importing GB/NI reg vehciles and vat/duty situation.

(NI reg vehicle consigned in NI)

No duty no vat is required on these vehicles once the V5 registration document is in NI address and the vehicle holds an NI registration

Vrt and Nox chargeable as like normal procedure.

(Mainland GB reg vehicles consigned from mainland GB)

10% customs duty applies to invoiced price of vehicle.

23% vat on invoiced price of vehicle +10% duty added together. Once paid a customs clearance form is issued and you can then VRT the vehicle as normal including NOX charge.

(Mainland GB reg vehicle consigned in NI)

VEHICLE IMPORTED TO NI POST BREXIT >01/01/21

10% customs duty applies to invoiced price of car.

23% vat on invoiced price of car+10% duty added together. Once paid a customs clearance form is issued and you can then VRT the vehicle as normal including NOX charge.

(Mainland GB reg vehicle consigned in NI)

VEHICLE IMPORTED TO NI PRE BREXIT <01/01/21

No duty no vat is required on these vehicles once the following proof of entry to NI is provided clearly stating date of entry/delivery to NI <01/01/21 including vehicle reg on documentation.

•Garage invoice with delivery date to NI

•Transport company invoice with delivery date to NI

•Boat ticket with date and reg of vehicle to NI

•Proof of tax in NI

•Proof of insurance in NI

•V5 registered to NI address

Any of the above are acceptable once Clearly show a <01/01/21 date and the reg of the vehicle in an NI address.

(NI reg vehicle consigned in mainland GB)

10% customs duty applies to invoiced price of vehicle.

23% vat on invoiced price of vehicle +10% duty added together. Once paid a customs clearance form is issued and you can then VRT the vehicle as normal including NOX charge.

Shipping costs are also factored into the figure that Duty/vat is applicable on.

Mainland GB- England

Scotland

Wales

NI-Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I looked at several Audis in late July and due to the fact they fall in higher emissions brackets there is little to be saved on some models, other models actually work out more expensive and few models would show a saving of money. All depends on the asking price, but you will probably get a better spec car in the north. I have bought numerous cars from the north over the years, but I would only purchase now if it falls in low emissions bracket, is a NI car and their is proof of same, which makes a small market practically tiny to non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Cheers Tom, I had not considered that. The particular car I was going to look at fell through. It was listed as Trade, but actually being sold Privately. Major red flag.

I had checked with VW on the Hybrid Warranty, here is the Q & A for anyone who is interested, from VW Ireland.

Q: "Am I correct is saying that the 100,000 mile/8 year Hybrid System warranty will carry over to ROI?

Also, can you confirm if the warranty is still valid, if the dealer carried out the servicing of the car, assuming the service schedule was adhered to? The car was not serviced in a VW location, does that void the Hybrid Warranty?"

A: "Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Ireland.

We have queried your email with warranty and provided there response below:

With an imported vehicle, the 3rd year warranty reverts back to the country of origin. The HV battery and a number of HV components carry an extended warranty of 8 years or 160,000 km (100,000 miles) from factory, which stays with the car even if it is an import.

As long as the car has been serviced in line with manufacturer’s recommendations – regardless whether by a VW approved or an independent establishment – the extended warranty for the HV battery and components stays valid.

We hope this information clarifies your question"

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Right, I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but here goes:

I've had a long-running exchange with Revenue on what I perceive to be an over-charging of VRT.

I had a very similar specced car the VRT calculation site with a VRT of €5.3K on an OMSP of €23K.

The calculation I got back was for over €7K, on an OMSP of €33K.

Apart from the OMSP seemingly way off based on a very similar model, my main point is this: surely the OMSP already includes a VRT element, so to pay VRT on the full whack means I'm paying twice. I should be paying VRT on the net OMSP amount, which would be (give or take) €33000/1.21=€27272, my bill being therefore €27272*.21=€5727.

Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep the OMSP is based on a valuation that already has VRT included in it so yes your paying VRT twice, welcome to Ireland.

• Advertisement

What VRT do you pay importing full electric car from Northern Ireland? Cant be a Nox fee , but what is VRT charge?

Yeah that makes sense, car I was trying it for had vrt at 2870, but reduced to zero with the 5000 grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 donnnaile

Hi all

Hoping someone can help who has imported a private car from UK mainland since all the changes. I can't seem to find the answers easily on the gov websites! I have imported a number of cars pre Brexit and found it very straight forward.

1. For duty/VAT, is it calculated based on a bill of sale (invoice) created by the private seller? If so is there anything stopping creation of a smaller invoice value to pay less VAT/Duty?
    2. I can't wrap my head around the customs part. Do I have to get a broker to clear customs before I go to get the car? What if I drive it through NI? I am trying to save cost by not depending on a 3rd party.

Hoping someone can help. The car I want does not come up on the market too often in ROI/NI hence looking at mainland UK.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Nothing is stopping you but that is tax evasion and if the amount is suspiciously low Revenue will request bank statements

You can drive it through the North alright but you’ll still have to get it cleared by a customs broker before VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Have the vast majority of commercial vehicles been removed from the online VRT calculator for some reason? Wanted to check on a Fiat and there were only 2 options which I've never gard of - Scudo, Ducato all gone. Same for Citroen with no option for Relay, Dispatch etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is there any type of car that's cheaper to purchase from mainland UK when all taxes and charges are accounted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crionadh

So I went to look at a camper van today in Dublin with an NI reg.

The owner bought it up there in 2019 but never registered it due to 'ill-health'.

Would this be a total nightmare to take on at this stage? The selling price is quite a steal (probably for this reason).

Thanks!

Ian

Nope. Obviously its a private sale so you need a handwritten invoice for the car for VRT purposes. So just put the date, amount, vehicle reg, and the registered owners name and address. Both parties sign. This is assuming they have the v5

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crionadh

If the previous owner bought it in 2019 and never registered it is there 2 years of unpaid tax that I will have to take on?

He has the V5 but it is registered to the owner before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Revenue systems will calculate the VRT based on the information given that is backed up by evidence. IF Revenue bases its calculation on your stated facts, ( i.e. 2 years in the State), then it may apply a late registration charge once the VRT has been calculated, at a rate of 0.1% of the VRT per day late. In this case, the late fee would amount to (Calculated VRT * 0.1% * 365 * 2) = 73%. So, every €1,000 of VRT would attract a further €730 late fee.

• Advertisement

As I said, you bought the car from the registered owner who lives up North. Not the guy that’s selling it in Dublin. Then you will have no issues

The lad in N.I. is likely to have had the camper van notified as sold/exported 2 years ago in order to avoid getting motor tax demands etc. So, if you're gonna do as advised above, you'd be well advised to check if that's been done, as it will come up on any decent cartell or HPI check that anyone (incl the folks in the VRT office) can do. It is the person who signs the Declaration on the VRT forms who will be liable for any late fees, even if that only comes to light much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are the VRT people doing Carcheck and HP checks now?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13 vxdvxvdxvdxvx

Hi, looking for advice from those in the know..

Would it be cost-effective to buy a 2013 - 2015 petrol hatchback (Hyundai i30 / Vauxhall Astra / Kia Ceed) from Northern Ireland, drive it past the border and pay the additional VRT on it as opposed to buying such in Dublin?

You are asking a question that you need to do the maths on yourself, price it here then compare to similar in north, using vrt and nox calculator to get final sum. I suspect there might be little difference either way, will all depend what emissions band the car falls in. probably better spec car from NI. I looked long and hard at several cars, some worked out dearer in NI, some cheaper, all depending on the Co2 band, but almost all the cars in NI had a better spec. In the end I left it, didn't change the car, put money elsewhere, but perviously I have bought numerous cars from the north, but doubt it is worth the hassle anymore and they are tweaking the bands soon, as a result of the last budget, which if I remember correctly will make diesel and petrol cars more expensive to import and likely compound the shortage and continue to drive the market nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 vxdvxvdxvdxvx

Thanks for the feedback. I hate being ripped off. We shouldn't have to pay a premium because we're Irish. I was looking to do the maths myself via the Revenue VRT calculator.

Two issues I had with it:

1) I found the OMSP determined by Revenue.ie was thousands more than the actual market selling price of the car on usedcarsni . com

(I mean like a given OSMP of €20,000 for a car priced at €8000 on the website). Has anyone else come across this / knows why this is?

2) The listed cars for sale on that Northern Ireland used car site (boards.ie won't let me post links yet) only list CO2 emissions, they don't list NOx emissions. Not having the CoC of the car, how do you determine its NOx emissions for the VRT calculator?

Just wondering the best way to go about it..

1. The OMSP is the price the car sells for in Ireland. Not the UK
    2. The Nox is quoted on the V5 logbook. For the sake of calculations, your average petrol car generally has Nox of around 0.030 or thereabouts, and a diesel car post 2015 generally has Nox of about 0.060. An average diesel car pre 2015 would usually have Nox of about 0.100 or more. You pretty much can’t import pre 2015 diesels anymore because of this

The OMSP is supposed to be a reflection of what the car would cost on an Irish forecourt, which would reflect the Irish price rather than the NI price. How its been arrived at has been the subject of debate since VRT came in, with many ppl (incl me) seeing the hand of the SIMI in trying to inflate VRT so that importing of cars is less enticing than it should be.

The Co2 and Nox ratings will be on the V5-C for older cars (https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/nitrogen-oxide-emissions.aspx) and on the Certificate of Conformity for newer ones. It can be a PITA to get while you're just browsing, although some dealers who are interested in selling into the South will list it on the advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Hi, I’m looking for some advice about importing a vehicle from NI

The vehicle first registered in April and less than 6000 miles on it. It’s NI reg and petrol,I know I have to pay vrt on it but do I have to pay vat or anything else on it.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement