Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I am off to the CT forum. Please direct all « vaccine is waning » theorists to join me there (where we all belong).

Good night Agent Watson ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Exactly, you cannot see it unless you break it down. Have a try but the poster already has done it for you.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'm on my phone. So can't see post number.

What poster said it and at what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No, and who are you, relatively newly registered poster?

Thanks.

Something strange with those numbers.

Up till September there is 41 difference between at least one jab and two jabs after 14 days. To October it is only slightly higher with 45 of difference.

Be interesting to see figures from early August. Along with percentages of population that has been partial and fully vaccinated for August, September to current date.

I'll take the calculator out in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

3 out of 4 back more curbs on unvaccinated according to Mail on Sunday poll.

Populism gone mad?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I do not see any source for those figures from September to October other than from some randomer on Twitter. Does he have access to HSE data?

He states 118 deaths since 11 September whereas the HSE document states 95 (17+78) since the start of September. I cannot see any of the figures he states in the HSE document

the source is the two Hse reports and then he subtracted one from the other. If that makes sense.

Hse released report for apr - sept

and a report from apr - oct

he then worked out sep - oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I fail to see the point your making. If 100% of the population was vaccinated, 100% of the deaths would be among vaccinated people.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The problem with that is they revise figures as death certs are submitted. It's been common throughout this pandemic for figures to be revised 1, 2, 3 and more months later. As I have pointed put his figures for deaths is very clearly overstated

Ah just seen you edit - I see what you mean the numbers don't add up. Good spot.

100% because calculations were only carried out to one place of decimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'd echo these sentiments. I live in England, have done for 4 and a half years now, I got my degree and moved over within 6 months as Ireland couldn't offer me what I needed to start my career in my chosen industry. England has its own problems but I haven't once looked back. I'd encourage any other young person back home in a similar position, whos entertaining the idea of emigrating to do it.

As you said, covid is not even a topic people talk about anymore here. One of the lads in work said recently, "you remember at the start when someone had covid it was a shock, now it's just "for **** sake" because of the inconvenience of it" which says alot about the general attitude to covid here.

Other than when I've had to get an Uber, I've not worn a mask since July when I flew home to Ireland for the first time since 2019. I don't need to show my vaccine status to any business, I can go in and out of bars, restaurants, cafes, shops etc without needing to book anything. When I landed in Dublin Airport in July, I was bombarded with covid information over the intercom all the way until I left the terminal. It was a bit jarring to hear it on repeat. Radio on in the car, covid ads sandwiched between vaccine ads. It's all just shoved down your throat.

My mother is coming to visit next month, she's the only person I know who actively likes wearing masks and said to me recently that it's basically back to normal back home which frightens me as she's just been conditioned into thinking this is how we're supposed to live. I'm hoping her visit to England will make her remember what normal actually is like.

Cool story. 160k plus would disagree. If they, you know, were still alive and could still talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Eh, yes. Anyone trying to portray the UK as some kind of Covid response utopia should acknowledge their deaths to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

MM has spoken, seems a sensible approach, Hospitality Sector won't be please at the "wink & nod" perception re covid cert checking/ inspections.

I honesty can't ever see a return to lockdowns but I'm sensing a delay or perhaps slowing of full reopening and Certs here to stay for the foreseeable future.

No Doubt Leo will have something to say later

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

If you are fully vaccinated and get Covid is this the equivalence of a booster shot for future immunity?

will there be a natural decrease in numbers happen as more and more people have had Covid?

is it right that society should remain restricted including say lack of changing rooms for sports and restrictions in gyms to save the unvaccinated?

has the health service ever had capacity throughout the winter?

Based on current prevalence the likelihood is that in excess of 5,000 vaccinated people daily are getting a de facto booster from Covid exposure daily. Most of these do not result in infection or detection, but do get an immune boost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Anything in the papers about restrictions? Other than vaccine passes staying

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

That's a good post because it means we learned to accept people dying from covid and hopefully we can start moving on: we just need to explain this to MM and Nphet

I would expect that whoever died from covid, was at least hospitalized or in ICU and hence counted on the spot. Unless of course, they died with covid

England may as well be a different planet.

I've noticed that people have started talking in terms of 'it's normal apart from x, y and z'. Reminds me of that scene from The Life of Brian in which Reg is trying to argue that the Romans have never done a single thing for the people. When the people he's talking to list about 10 things the Romans have done he says "All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

I remember reading a post about someone who went to France who said that apart from having to wear a mask, the distancing and having to show my papers everywhere I went, it was all very normal. Another person would say that it was totally abnormal. The problem is the normalising of these restrictions by NPHET. Glynn was at it again the other day when he was talking about the measures we're all so used to.

But, as I knew would happen, posts about England are very often dismissed. Exact same is true of Sweden. It's always compared with its neighbours. Notice how it's never compared with countries with extremely harsh restrictions that it has fared a lot better than. It's actually very different from its neighbours, but comparing it with the likes of Spain and France doesn't work for the argument.

When you reduce everything to the avoidance of covid death (I think Lord Sumption was wrong when he said 'the avoidance of death' because it's only 'the avoidance of covid death' that matters) then nothing else matters. It's not important to be able to see people's faces. That's only a minor thing now (even though it has been the norm for centuries). It's okay to abandon the handshake and to go around bumping elbows, even though the handshake is fundamental to our culture and way of life. It's fine to have to show an app on your phone to have a cup of tea, even though it is perhaps the worse interference with liberty in our history.

So, like you, I too would encourage anyone who's considering emigrating to do it. It's a no-brainer.

Oh no, whenever they rule something out it means they're actually not ruling it out.

Same with vaccine passports in England. For months Government Ministers were falling over backwards ruling them out without mentioning that the contracts had been signed and that they were in advanced development.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More is the pity he didn't do something like this during the week in the first place. Looking statesmanlike after the fact reminds people of just how foolish those comments were. Hospitality initiative looks like an attempt to be seen to be doing something as there are limited environmental officers to implement that plan. We know that large gatherings, where there is no need for passes, such as the rush for communions and confirmations can produce lots of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I don't think we'll honestly see lockdowns again, nothing would be achieved by taking such measures given the high Vacination rates. I do get a sense we will see a further delay in fully reopening and a greater emphasis on Covid Cert checking & verifications ( being objective, it's been pretty poor in relation to venues checking certs, I've seen it myself)

I know there are those who solely focus on the fact serious illness is avoided by Vacination and this is clearly very true, but equally its known, Vacination does not stop transmission, so the real questions are, can we actually reduce transmission or reduce case numbers and I think not. The next question is can the health system cope and I think we all know the answer , whatever side of the argument your on, is a definite No.

Can we live with Covid, perhaps we've no choice, I remain concerned the real crux of the issue is Vacinne protection waning and whilst a booster program seemingly the next step in governments approach, I just get a sense of a merry go round approach. I'm not blaming government or Health professionals, but a few things that really annoy me is lack of transparency, HSE blaming everything on a really small percentage of un vacinated (a lot of whom can't be) , Shocking mixed messages. Yesterday a perfect example, one minister saying one thing, Medical expert saying another, NPHET members saying something different, it's just bizzare. There's too many expert and not so expert opinions, is it any wonder people so vexed and confused.

I for one sensed an almost complete erasing of the Pandemic by main news outlets from their main programs, Government turned to a nothing to see here mode for the past 3 months, HSE deflection in over drive, Basic measures like contact tracing abandoned, NPHET seemingly banished and silenced, an almost obsessional refusal to accept there was outbreaks and issues in schools as examples.

Now, we're back to a frenzy of speculation, Number 1 news story on most news outlets, Journalists falling over themselves to get the latest story on Covid, they've even returned to the department of health for evening bulletins. Honestly, the only thing I'm really surprised about is the fact anyone is really surprised about the current situation. Complacency definitely set in, I'm not being critical, it was only natural, but I do think those in charge took the foot off the pedal and I'm sensing a bit of ground hog day.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement