Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

If by him, you mean Biden motivating people to be advocates against sexual assault

If by him, you mean Trump motivating people to be advocates against sexual equity, well, how do I pick just one? You did capitalise the word 'one' so I guess I will only post one.

"26,000 unreported sexual assults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?"

-Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's a bit ridiculous but it is actually a semi serious post.

On mobile so excuse any errors and will need to give some background to this.

If your an American watcher you'l know that schools and education have become heated parts of the culture war, in particular school boards etc.

Biden it can be reasonably argued has signalled to activists that there time has come with actions like repealing Trump's executive order on CRT and signing the DIA order (diversity one that only samples minorities if they experience discrimination)

First let's clear a couple of things up. Any Trump/Devos changes to title 9 are irrelevant to this case as I understand it and in fact it's reinstatement seems to be acting as cover. I know this will be honed in on like a missile though so if people genuinely believe that it would, show your workings. Second Bidens administration repealed changes Trump's admin made about gender identity and single sex spaces.

Ok now the story as I understand it.

-Loudon county and it's greater area has had some "progressive" capture /elections into various institutions

- It's been in the news about rows between school board/officials and parents

- Back in the summer some father got arrested at a school board meeting about gender identity AFAIK, went a bit viral. Used as an example of how terrible irrational bigots Republicans are.

- lots of news about the need to protect teachers from crazy parents and some official policies, and republicans highlighting that parents should have an input into education.

https://www.justice.gov/ag/page/file/1438986/download

Note that Loudon county is called out specifically.

- Now about two or three days ago a story got picked up on by conservative and local media.

The man who had been arrested in the summer, had previously been called into the school with the news that his daughter had been physically assaulted, he states that he finds out that she was raped by a boy "who wears a dress". He gets arrested for loosing his mind at a meeting- context making this understandable.

Then it comes out that the same male bodied student had also previously had a serious charge raided against them at a different school. One of the incidents is in a bathroom one in-class room.

Now in relation to the arrested dad's story that's not confirmed. However the sherrifs department has basically confirmed as much as can be with a that the two sex attacks took place at the two schools afaik same student involved. Dates match statements etc.

So now the very progressive school board that remember has already been involved in a big row about bathrooms which got national attention as an example of crazy parents obviously kept shtum.

Democrats have recently gone all in on, dangerous parents- see FBI thing, parents shouldn't have a say in schools- see Virginia governor candidate, bathroom/single sex spaces bills and that any fear in relation to it is irrational- see also that Korean Spa in LA/San Francisco where protesters were defending the right of a sex offender to show their cock to kids (literally not making that up).

And the Republicans have obviously been attacking all this.

So basically if the rather horrible story is true (and at least some of it is), you have all the things conservatives get mocked for saying actually being true.

Hence why though it's local this is nationally bad news for at least the Progressive wing of the Democrats.

I fully expect this will be ignored despite people's kids being one of those things that really touch a nerve with parents who tend to also be voters

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Regarding Trumps statement, if there really was 26,000 instances of sexual assaults by men against women then his tweet is not the problem. If anything, granted with the benefit of hindsight, he was right. H

Trump addressed that tweet at later point:

When asked by Lauer if that meant the "only fix is to take women out of the military," Trump said: "No, not to kick them out."

"But something has to happen," he said. "Right now part of the problem is nobody gets prosecuted. You have reported ... you have the report of rape and nobody gets prosecuted."

So he wanted sexual assaulters to be prosecuted. I still think he's an asshole but this kind of selective quoting is not a good example of it.

This kind of selective quoting is also not a good example of it, as he only said those things after receiving a lot of criticism for the tweet.

And I would not say that I selectively quoted anything, I copied and pasted the entirety of a tweet. He very clearly has a "boys will be boys" attitude towards it.

Anyway, wrong thread for this discussion.

Finding it a bit difficult to follow this post. If you edit in the future on desktop let me know and I will gladly respond to it, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Ah it's grand my post is a bit garbled anyway, if it turns out to be a story that's true and picked up widely, and it might be as that specific county already been in the news will be harmful to at least the Progressive Dems.

Early days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

The piece of news coming from schools that is getting traction at the moment is some teachers in Texas being advised that if they have a book on the holocaust they need to have a book showing the alternative opinion. I am not sure what the alternative opinion is but anyway.

I don't see anything you mentioned as a strike against the left which has generally been more vocal about the issues around sexual assault and that it is a widespread issue in society.

As you say early days, which is what we have heard on many different processes that Republicans hope people will believe before the facts come out and show them to be wrong. We were repeatedly told that Biden would not be president now and to just wait for the evidence and it was early days. So honestly I don't care about early days and "big if true" anymore. In two months nothing will come of it and we will have a new "big if true" story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The thing about the Texas 'holocaust' books is being taken way the hell out of context. It was a hypothetical example as a local school district leadership were debating the meaning of a recent education bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Per the article, the superintendent said, when asked about the Holocaust, "believe me it's come up." The reaction's been fierce, deservedly so. Because of more junk legislation from the Texas GQP legislature which is all about government overreach when they want you to think their way.

Texas where a virus's reproductive rights are enshrined in law. A woman, not so much.

That article does not help the context. It seems like a very real possibility given an absolutely horrific bill that someone will complain about holocaust books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Perhaps there's some that will "complain about holocaust books", but I don't think Texas schools are going to be putting Robert Faurisson on the curriculum any time soon. All sounds a bit hysterical to me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

Strictly speaking, if this new state law requires ''both sides'' to be told on any particular subject, they should technically have to.

Mind you, they will probably just weasel their way out of it somehow, even though we all know this state law is just a b*llsh*t smokescreen for them to fight a variety of left wing causes. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Holocaust denial is less both sides and more a fictional rewrite of history. I don't have an issue with libraries having such books in the fiction section. But there's not two sides to the bloody holocaust..

OK, here's the full text of the law in question. It's all of six pages long, takes two minutes to read.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/billtext/pdf/HB03979F.pdf#navpanes=0

Whatever about the merits about Critical Race Theory, the only way that one would find a requirement to consider keeping a 'book on the other side of the holocaust' is if one feels that the holocaust is categorised as a "particular current event or widely debated and currently controversial issue of public policy or social affairs"

Does anyone here feel that it counts as such? It turns out that the school district in which the comments were made doesn't.

Carroll ISD Superintendent Lane Ledbetter quickly clarified late Thursday that the comments made in the training “were in no way to convey that the Holocaust was anything less than a terrible event in history.”

“As we continue to work through implementation of HB3979, we also understand this bill does not require an opposing viewpoint on historical facts,” Ledbetter said.

What most school districts are doing will be simply sticking to the curriculum as put out by the Texas Dept of Education, that curriculum is not affected by this law at all. The law does, however, place limits on extracurricular teaching and individual teacher initiative in certain areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It sounds like an absolutely stupid law designed to cause confusion. The definition is so broad it is almost useless.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I have to say I’m starting to feel sorry for joe Biden because his two bits of major legislation are being stalled by his own party in congress. And if they do manage to balls this up like the democrats seem to have a unique ability to do, then when democrats in seats which aren’t a democratic lock lose their seats next year and the GOP take back control of the house then they as a group deserve the blame hat will no doubt come. And I’ve seen a report that Biden voters are annoyed and want him to pass immigration reform, which while an important issue, is kind of down the line and seeing as how they can’t get infrastructure passed I wouldn’t put much hope for immigration.

And even if they do somehow manage to get infrastructure passed, they will liKely repeat the failings of the Obamacare messaging and let the GOP frame it in a negative way. To quote Brian Williams of MSNBC, the democrats have “piss poor messaging” in that voters don’t know what they’ll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Don't feel sorry for him - the buck stops here. Back in May, I scandalised the bien pensant posters on this thread by saying the Biden was the weakest US President in modern history. Now, his true calibre is apparent and his defenders are scrambling to justify his failures.

Joe Biden owns the budgetary mess because he pandered to the "progressives" although his entire 40-year career was built on being a "moderate" i.e. working with Republicans, and he won the nomination because the Democratic Party establishment had to stop Bernie.

He owns the current legislative chaos, just as he owns the Afghanistan mess. COVID should have been his strongest card as vaccinations rolled-out but a brutal surge this summer has overshadowed Trump pandemic failings (which probably cost Trump the election). Does anyone know what Biden's plan for the Middle-East looks like (apart from getting back into bed with the mad Mullahs of Tehran).

I'm sorry that the first truly Irish-American President since Kennedy is proving to be the least effectual. Did he help us in any way so far? He talks tough on the Protocol but he can't match Bill Clinton as a deal-maker. Did he help us on corporation tax? Having made the concession on 15% to Janet Yellan, what we need now is for Congress to endorse the deal but fix 15% as the limit internationally. Unfortunately, the progressives didn't get the memo about our great triumph in deleting "at least".

I scandalised the bien pensant posters on this thread by saying the Biden was the weakest US President in modern history. Now, his true calibre is apparent and his defenders are scrambling to justify his failures.

Would you care to explain how you have come to that conclusion by listing the achievements and failures of the previous US presidents of modern history in their first nine months as president?

I'm sorry that the first truly Irish-American President since Kennedy is proving to be the least effectual. Did he help us in any way so far?

Which presidents helped us in any meaningful in their first nine months as president since the last Irish-American president?

I don't disagree with you, but at least it doesn't mean that historical facts like 'the holocaust' need to be presented with altering opinions. The idea of requiring both sides of an extracurricular controversial argument be presented is laudible, quite how it is to be written in legislation is much more difficult and they obviously haven't done a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

I agree that more time is needed to tell if Biden is the worst President but what I said is that he is the weakest President in modern times i.e. he is the least able to achieve his goals and we can judge that already, as I explained in the earlier post. In essence, he is weak domestically because he is hostage to his own "progressives" and he is weak externally because his deeds are not aligned with his words - he speaks of multilateralism but he behaves unilaterally (Afghanistan, AUKUS).

Once upon a time, Presidents prided themselves on their First 100 Days but you seem to treat Biden's first 300 days (almost) as a Mulligan. I take that as an admission that Biden has had a very bad start. His poll ratings are down in Trump territory but he could redeem himself. The only modern US President to suffer a foreign policy catastrophe comparable to the Afghanistan withdrawal during his first year was Kennedy's Bay of Pigs debacle.

I think we agree Biden has done nothing substantial to help Ireland and the corporation tax deal could do us serious damage. In contrast, Clinton transformed the Irish peace process by granting a visa to Gerry Adams during his first year in office.

You want me to recount the achievements and failures of every modern President? Let's keep it simple - who do you say was weaker than Biden? Don't say Nixon - he was a crook but he was not weak. Likewise Trump. Carter showed weakness dealing with the Ayatollah but he had far more authority than Biden. Johnson came a cropper over Vietnam but no one thinks him weak. Clinton after the impeachment trial was a lame duck but he had had some very strong years, once he ditched Hilary's health reform.

So, who is your alternative nominee for Weakest US President of the Modern Era?

Trump was absolutely weak and corrupt. He did very little in the end which was largely a blessing for the US admittedly. International leaders were openly laughing at him and most international meetings were just to use him to score points at home by making him look silly (which was not hard). If you look at his main goals it was the wall which was never done, lock her up and Hilary never even faced trial and that healthcare would be so easy which ended up in such a disaster that Republicans had to vote to save the Obamacare system they hated so much. At best he didn't actively impede Paul Ryan's tax system.

A lot of Biden's early goals were based around getting the covid vaccine available and vaccine mandates since covid was obviously the biggest issue he had at the start and well that is done with the main failing behind the vaccine roll out being the US education system.

I agree Biden has not done a massive amount for Ireland. He has helped push back on the UK's nationalism a bit and well he is the US president not the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not done much for Ireland?

He basically told the UK, a far bigger and more important ally, to sort Ireland out properly to have any chance of a trade deal.

The biggest economic threat to Ireland and he is 100% on our side and made no bones about coming out and saying it.

The problem is who decides that a subject is controversial or debatable. Some people want to debate that the Holocaust actually happened. If some day there are enough peopled debating it do both sides need to be taught in school.

The big one I can think of is intelligent design v evolution. Over 40% of people in the US don’t believe in evolution, I’d say it’s higher in Texas. Do they now have to teach stupidity

they/them/theirs

he is the weakest President in modern times i.e. he is the least able to achieve his goals and we can judge that already, as I explained in the earlier post.

Which earlier post? I assume in that post, you've listed all of the goals of the US presidents of the modern era, including Biden, and shown that Biden has achieved the smallest percentage relative to the others?

His poll ratings are down in Trump territory but he could redeem himself.

His poll rating is currently 7% higher than Trumps was at this stage of his presidency. That is a huge difference considering how partisan the country currently is. Every president of the last 50 years has had their approval rating go below 45% in their first term, it's in no way significant.

I think we agree Biden has done nothing substantial to help Ireland and the corporation tax deal could do us serious damage.

I disagree strongly, based on what has already been said by others above. Also, I've in favour of the increase to corporation tax and wouldn't mind if it went a bit higher.

So, who is your alternative nominee for Weakest US President of the Modern Era?

Trump, and the idea that Biden is weaker is madness. Trump only kept 23% of his promises during his four year term. Biden has already completed 12% of his promises within his first nine months and 42% of them are also in the works. So, to respond again to your statement

he is the weakest President in modern times i.e. he is the least able to achieve his goals and we can judge that already

No

I take that as an admission that Biden has had a very bad start.

And also no.

Anyone suggesting biden has been anything other than a disaster so far just hasn't recovered from their tds yet..

You will then gladly be able to respond to my post rather than just popping in and out to insult posters.

Trump is the weakest President in the last century, possibly ever. He actually achieved nothing except sewing chaos for his successor to clean up.

they/them/theirs

That's not replying to my post. Would you like to try again? I could go on to explain why what you posted is nonsense, but trying to have a conversation with a conspiracy theorist who can't even directly reply to a post when asked to is a waste of effort.

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

Advertisement