Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They know why this is. Its just not in their interests to state it.

The reason average rents are going up is because all of the ones locked at lower rents are leaving the market.

Therefore the average rent is going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes i agree but you could spend what you like modernising it and landscaping etc, the location is great but its strong money for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I got a decent commuter bike a few months back on the bike to work scheme and have tried to use it to get around Dublin to shops or friends' houses as much as I can. One thing you start to notice is that bike lanes are complete crapshoot in this country. You get some stretches that are fantastic and have nice new lanes, separated from traffic, and then suddenly they'll just disappear. We have lots of bits of bike lanes but no real bike lane network. If you want to get from A to B, you will absolutely have to spend some of that time on normal roads sharing with cars, which is too scary for most people to do, and cycling ends up just being for the enthusiasts. Sometimes it feels like the council was just told they have to put down X meters of bike lanes, so they did it at random in various spots with no concern for the idea that people might actually want to use them to get places.

I think overall, infrastructure is our biggest issue. The government has relied on people driving themselves around in cars instead of really building it up. The city is already developed more or less everywhere, the only way to increase the supply is to build denser, but that won't work if so many people are dependant on driving around a car with them every day to get to work, but it won't be at all popular to tell people they need to give up their cars and get on trains, especially if it takes years to develop the infrastructure, which is why no party will really make a major effor to persue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not sure how Daft.ie culls stale listings but from my own experience I would guess that many of those 1749-997=752 were long gone even back then. These sorts of numbers are already within statistical noise of zero for a region with a circa 1M population and I gave up any pretence of hope in the Dublin A&P market a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I wonder if Clancy quay is full now?

only one listing in daft. Probably 40 units or more for rent there....

A shame vacant property tax didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Not sure about Clancy Quay but walked down the docks Wednesday evening and the small few lights on from Capital Dock and Hannover Quay(I think) is a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Was just looking at the RTB Stats that they publish and it's interesting to see that supply of rental properties registered is decreasing

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Interesting paper published by the Bank of England, which given the similarities in our societies and housing markets, must equally apply to the Irish housing market. “Real house prices in the UK have almost quadrupled over the past 40 years, substantially outpacing real income growth. Meanwhile, rental yields have been trending downwards — particularly since the mid‑90s. This paper reconciles these observations by analysing the contributions of the drivers of house prices. It shows that the rise in house prices relative to incomes between 1985 and 2018 can be more than accounted for by the substantial decline in the real risk‑free interest rate observed over the period. This is slightly offset by net increases in home‑ownership costs from higher rates of tax. Changes in the risk‑free real rate are a crucial driver of changes in house prices — the model predicts that a 1% sustained increase in index‑linked gilt yields could ultimately (ie in the long run) result in a fall in real house prices of just under 20%.”

If you have the time and the head space, here is a link to the published paper : https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/working-paper/2019/uk-house-prices-and-three-decades-of-decline-in-the-risk-free-real-interest-rate.pdf?la=en&hash=7C12A901353CB615C3FC1A58557918D50775E470

essentially, it is low interest rates, i.e. the low return on “risk free” govt gilts that determines the price of property. Landlords are accepting a lower return on property investments - rental return versus the cost of financing property - than at any time previously; and the paper’s authors have concluded that supply has very little impact on the price of housing. However, in Ireland the failure to properly tax REITS makes a return on investment of 2% - 3% even more attractive compared to yields of .02% and under on A rated gilts. It also makes it still a viable investment if many of the units are left vacant in order to avoid reducing rents, as even a yield of 1% far outstrips any other “safe as houses” investment out there.

So I’m summary as yields on government debt falls it pushes up the price of houses as investors chase yield.

if yields rise then crashes the house market, the stock market and bond prices as all these assets have had their risk repriced when yields fell.

Here is a link to a post from Jan 2021 where I highlighted this.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/115887268/#Comment_115887268

As I have said before rates have been falling for 40 years.

Inflation is the only thing that will change the situation. But inflation won’t last unless their is wage inflation that enables consumers to pay for higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭old_house

Interesting data. What I take from this is that a large chunk of the capital currently tied up in the property market (which serves as a "money sink" for investors chasing yield) could move on to another asset class as soon as it is perceived as lower risk/higher yield than housing. That gives me hope that investors might find a new playground eventually and house prices correct back to where they should be in relation to incomes. I don't know which asset class that might be, though. Bonds seem to be an unlikely candidate in the foreseeable future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭hometruths

Most things revert to the mean over time. Sooner or later interest rates will too. As will other aspects of Irish property that are out of whack with long term trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im not convinced property prices will 'correct' at all, as theres actually no such thing as market equilibrium, thats just a concept humans created to try simplify our (mis)understanding of how the world actually works. theres astonishing complexities occurring, that are causing these divisions, particularly in relation to property prices and income levels, it wont be easy to resolve this, many employers simply cannot afford to increase pay, and lowering property prices would probably destabilise markets here and globally, and not just property markets, our whole global financial systems are ultimately based on rising property and land values

Unfortunately it’s not a ‘money sink’ because property is not that liquid an asset as even with a discount it can take 6 months to sell and longer in a falling market.

AAA rated bonds (government bonds) are the most liquid and safest asset. It is for this reason that in a falling market investors pile into Bonds which in turn pushes the yield lower as the price of the bond rises.

Additionally the main reason that rates would rise is due to inflation. Investors traditionally will go into property and gold when there is inflation.

The way I see it there will be either a massive crash of all asset classes bigger than 08 or we are in for a very long period of stagflation. The only country that has had a similar scenario in the past is Japan and the result has been years and years of stagflation.

Look at the mean for interest rates... They have been falling for 40 years which is a long term trend.

The global financial system is not just based on property and land values. But it is based on assumption that an asset will appreciate in value and the main driver of assets appreciating in value has been an increase in debt. As rates fall as they have been doing for 40 years debt becomes cheaper to service and as a result the volume of debt increases which results in higher assets values.

If you look at the Dow Jones for a prolonged period where interest rates were rising such as 1966-1984 you can see there was practically no asset appreciation, if you invested 1000USD in 1966 it would have been worth around the same in 1984 in nominal terms but the investor would have lost money in real terms due to inflation.

Without Wage inflation there will be no sustained inflation in the economy as prices will be rejected because people can't afford them. So I don't see a situation of prolonged inflation that would create a rising rate environment for a prolonged period. Instead we will probably see rates rise a small bit, economy will slow, rates lowered again.... (Basically the same cycle we have been in for 40 years)

most developed economies are falling into the trap of primarily fire sector lead and run, china is currently experiencing the major faults of such an approach and design, yes you are correct that global markets are not just solely based on this, but it plays a vital role in being, but again, its important to realise, central bank rates are only playing a limited role in this, the main controlling factor has been the actual access to credit to global markets, particularly for the purchase of property and land. we re still stuck in this approach, hence the continual rise of private debts globally, largely coming from global financial markets, its running out of steam, we have to radically change this approach or else.....

i will agree with you in regards rates though, i suspect central banks will be forced to maintain low rates, as increasing them, will more than likely cause economic slow down, possible recession inducing in some nations, forcing them to reduce once again, its a very difficult situation, and im not sure anyone truly knows what to do about it, i can understand the calling of debt jubilees, but that would also be fraught with serious problems, worrying stuff

i agree I think we will be stuck with low rates for a long time and unless there is an implosion in asset values due to massive default of debts house prices will remain at current levels.

The only time i see house prices leveling off or dropping in value is when rents start to fall due to an increase in supply or a drop in demand for rental properties due to social/affordable housing. Rent will be the canary in the coal mine for housing prices.

yea we re stuck in a very dangerous game, if there is a massive default in private debt, it has the potential to destabilise global markets yet again.

its gonna take a while for supply to come onstream, so i cant see this happening anytime soon, we also have the rapidly rising materials cost to deal with, and i have a funny feeling, the state may have to also intervene here to. i have a funny feeling there are actually many canaries lurking around the place, some we dont even see yet, theres a lot of worrying stuff lurking around the place, and the electorate aint getting any happier in all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate of mine rents his 3 bed semi for e1200 a month, his tenant works n pays e100 a month n hap pay the rest. The tenants 2 kids stay over at the weekend. There'll be no drop in demand for social housing as it is too attractive now. A days wages pays for his housing for the month.

I see in the paper today single workers on 25-45k are e2 a week better off in the budget while rents and commuting costs are skyrocketing. The journalist called this bracket future emigrants, it's hard to disagree with him.

i.e. property and land speculation has failed, and government policies encouraging to do so, are also continually failing

• Advertisement

I would see that as private accommodation being heavily subsidized by the state as opposed to social housing which would remove people from the private sector and lower rents

It is, but to get HAP you have to go on the social housing list, which presumably is what the above poster is referring to. At this point I don't know how you'd even really unwind HAP. Feels like it's done a lot more harm than good overall, but so many people have become reliant on it that if it was to end, it would really pull the rug out from under a lot of people.

I agree you can't pull the rug out but the only way it will change is by providing social/affordable housing and gradually unwinding the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Inflation and rising interest rates are one to watch out !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do we need 2 - 3 bed houses for a 4 person family assuming the 2 kids stay with the tenants ex parner during the week

It would seem odd that we have homeless families when others have 2 with at least one almost completely state subsidised

Personally, I think a lot of the reason that things like HAP have gone this far is because of the political backlash to homeless families. The quickest band-aid fix to that problem was to just give loads of people more money to spend on rent so they wouldn't be homeless anymore. I don't think it's that odd at all tbh with the way things have worked out. Possibly this tenant was one of those previous homeless families. Alternatively he was on HAP before all of this, but they aren't going to take it away now or he'll potentially be back onto the list of of homeless. Nobody ever really gets removed from housing lists for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Populism will continue to rise in Ireland, as it has done in other countries. The BoE paper above can be applied to the Irish situation and, as mentioned before by people, the housing crisis is not unique to Ireland and is impacting many countries. The same conditions that are causing similar housing crises in other countries are impacting the Irish housing market. The corollary to this is that conditions which lead to a decline in housing markets in other countries could similarly lead to a decline in the Irish housing market.

But I think populism will grow before anything too dramatic happens in the global economy and housing market, with the ECB recently announcing that it is looking to justify further QE beyond covid, even with no crisis. This means the situation will get worse before it gets better and, as in other countries, Irish people will start to vote with their feet on these issues.

It can only be wild speculation as to where our populism leads but even just taking Sinn Féin seriously as a government party was unheard of up until very recently, on the policy section of their website, they have no mention of any pro-business policies. That would mark a dramatic shift in Ireland's approach to the economy compared to the last few decades; having a government less open to making the country as pro-business as it has been. The political change will happen first and then the economic changes will follow; it will happen gradually and then all of a sudden, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Dublin (county) rental ads on Daft today stands at 956.

However (to highlight the lack of affordability and dearth of supply), of the 956;

105 are 1 beds costing at least €1,800 pm.

151 are 2 beds costing at least €2,500 pm.

84 are 3 beds costing at least €3,000 pm.

It is too much effort to count the student accommodation ads and places only available on a short-term basis but for most renters there are at most only 616 realistic ads for rentals in Dublin - despite us being under pandemic restrictions and workers predominantly WFH and therefore not back in the city. The rate of decline of available rentals has slowed from a few weeks ago but it is still declining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You would think something has happened to make landlords stop renting their properties or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Yes on this. I know a LL who recently was struggling to let her place. Was about to drop the AP on it. Low and behold someone who was on HAP came in and offered her what she was looking for.

Advertisement