Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mario Balotelli was very much a Rodger's signing after his debut against Tottenham, he looked potentially devastating in partnership with Daniel Sturridge. He was dropped like a hot potatoe when Sturridge got injured and Rodgers began crafting a lineup without a recognised striker.

Rodgers was a weasel using the media to undermine the transfer committee and his behaviour at the end of the 2014/15 season when he had his coaching staff sacked was no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I find Rodgers a bit like Pep in that I'm not sure if they are a brilliant manager or a lucky fella. Pep had Messi at his absolute peak. A player that could singlehandedly destroy teams. Rodgers the same with Suarez. He was just ridiculous that season and Sturridge beside him had the season of his life.

Pep goes to Bayern where there is no competition and does well (though not as well as the previous manager). Rodgers sweeps all before him in another one team league. Pep takes on City and improves them greatly and Rodgers does the same with Leicester, however you could argue that even at Leicester most of the puzzle pieces were already there when he took over but were underperforming under 2 bang average managers.

Basically for the money he has spent Leicester are about where they deserve to be, a Cup and occasional flirtations with the top 4. But I think a lot of managers could achieve the same there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Rodgers is a good manager, the Liverpool job was too big too soon. He made lots of mistakes, the biggest one being clashing with the transfer committee because he was likely young and didn't want to be seen as being run over, wanted to fail on his team no one else's etc. I don't think he has much say at Leicester? But Leicester have the 8-9th highest wage bill and they finished 5th two years in a row along with an FA Cup, that is way over achieving for Leicester. As you grow older you want other inputs, the more the better etc. I'd say he has mellowed a bit and will succeed in his next job after Leicester.

You can see that he coaches his team, he puts his mark on them in good or bad, not like other guys who talk about hard work, hunger and putting tackles in like an under 12s coach in 2000 (or 1970).

Rodgers apparently has his eyes on the Chelsea or City job next which he could get. Chelsea run through managers and he coached there so couldn't the nod from Roman after Tuchel and he's a very very very light version of Pep so could work for continuation purposes of how they're playing. He'll win some big silverware at some point, could do with putting a little more effort into the EL with Leicester though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers is an excellent coach, done a great job with Leicester, kept them really competitive, well able to beat any side in the league on their day. Probably should of gotten top 4 one season but it ain't easy.

He's at the stage now where he needs to go to a bigger club, Leicester are stagnating and so is he but the likes of arsenal and spurs are almost backward steps now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Salah is playing like a man determined to finally make it into a Boards combined United/Liverpool starting 11.

• Advertisement

It was great to see Kelleher keep a clean sheet yesterday and the save from Sarr was impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was going to reply to your post in return to my own but after reading this, it shows that you really have a massive dislike towards Rodgers so there's not much point having any discussion about the man.

I love Klopp too.

Ynwa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One thing I was surprised with yesterday was the energy in the team. Early kick off after an international break is a bit of a recipe for disaster.

I'm pleased that both Trent & Robbo got a decent rest too coming off on 60. It's very rare that they come off in the league games, let alone both at the same time, and early(ish) in the game. The form of Tsimikas seems to have given Robbo a real kick in the ass too, which is no bad thing. Healthy competition.

I would assume that Fabinho will come in on Tuesday. But not sure for who. Keita has played a bit lately so maybe him. But then does Milner have 2 games in him so close together? Ox was brilliant against Atletico a coupe seasons ago so maybe he gets the start?

I respect him as a football coach but don't think he's a nice person. Please don't let your belief that "I have a massive dislike for the man" prevent you from sharing your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Just watched the Brentford Chelsea game don't know how they didn't score Chelsea look so solid at the back.

The fact we conceded three against them is a little worrying but we're playing well, Salah is on fire and mane while not back to his 2019 best is a dam sight better than he's been for the last 18 months. Watford were terrible so it's hard to take too much from the match united game should tell us a lot more.

YNWA

• Advertisement

A lot of the top managers are unlikable I suspect, they are driven and dispassionate, I doubt Guadiola, Mourinho or even Klopp would care much about their players on a personal level once they no longer see them as useful. They have to make hard decisions based on what is best for the team, what did Klopp say, “I am their friend, but not their best friend”. If memory serves me right Rogers had an affair with someone in admin at Liverpool, she was single and is now his wife, it happens, but I wouldn’t judge his managerial ability on his off the field personality, he certainly got the best out of an average team which should have won the league playing thrilling football bar an unfortunate slip. Have any players come out against him on a personal level?

Keita should be fine to play mid week, he only had a bit part in the squad since the Burnley game which was in August. Against Atletico the midfield will need energy from the likes of him, Jones isn't as defensively aware as he needs to be for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's not so much the amount of minutes overall in the last few weeks, it's the amount of minutes so close together for him coming off of the international break. I'd worry for his hamstrings.

And on that basis you can't offer your opinion. 🤣

If you have something to say then don't be afraid to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

This happened last week also. Nothing to moan about team wise so users here resort to sniping at each other. Rodgers is a long time ago, forget him and move on.

Rodgers repeatedly tried to use the media to undermine the people he was supposed to be working with at Liverpool.

News flash: Manager uses media for own benefit.

Not that long ago, his team took apart Man U yesterday playing great stuff, he’s a good manager, his next move will be to one of the top clubs, so he is a relevant topic to discuss on a Liverpool thread.

As I said he was too young for manager position at Liverpool but I'd say he's after learned from the many mistakes he made.

Thankfully we moved onto a more experienced manager and hopefully he'll be here for as long as possible.

• Advertisement

Let me reprase it - Rather than focus on his own role, he instead tried to undermine his colleagues. That is toxic behaviour in a working environment.

Who did he undermine and how? Please don’t tell me the transfer commitee, managers, including Ferguson, Mourinho etc are always using the media to carp about not getting the signings they want, it’s as old as the game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just because it's something that always goes on, doesn't make it not a bad thing... Ferguson I'd say is one of the few who did it, that did it quite well, in that he was very good at 'managing up' and knowing the limits. He'd push where there was room to push. Others like Mourinho and Conte push and sew division in the club right up till the situation becomes untenable and blows up.

I've a lot of time for Rodgers, but the situation he created with the behind the scenes stuff over transfers became an absolute joke, and was only and entirely bad for the club. We were on the cusp of pushing onwards, but he self-sabotaged out of some sense of bravura, and it all fell apart. Now, I think he's grown up a bit since then and learned from it, but he's had to, as that was a big personal failing in how he did things.

He came through the international break unscathed which was a positive. At Dortmund he was rarely injured, most of his absences from the lineup were due to suspensions. If his period of niggly injuries has passed then he should be available to play for almost every game much like the player that had been expected to arrive at the club when he signed.

I think it has been forgotten that he used to cover almost every blade of grass in every game for Dortmund. People have marveled at the way Robertson covers the whole of the left side of the pitch, Keita used to do the same thing in the centre of the pitch. The man was a complete 'Energiser Bunny' that didn't let the opposition settle and was incredible at recovering possession quickly. Bayern's tactic against him was to try to get him booked early and then wind him up in an effort to get him sent off.

There was plenty of blame to go around, not only did we have a young manager untried at this level, we had “young” owners inexperienced in running a premiership football team.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-brendan-rodgers-manager-leicester-city-celtic-fsg-john-henry-epl-a9142616.html%3famp

Holding up Rogers as a “weasel” just because he used the media to complain about transfer dealings is mad, top managers do it all the time when they don’t get the players they want. Ferguson made his unhappiness about the club failing to sign Ronaldinho very obvious, and did not hesitate to slaughter Keane and Beckham in the media when their time was up.

Benitez blitzed both Valencia (I asked for a sofa, they bought me a lampshade) and Liverpool in the media about transfers immediately after winning trophies, for his own benefit.

Effectively what you are saying is that undermining colleagues is ok, as long as you win. That makes it right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Balotelli stayed in the team for a couple of months after Sturridge was injured. He was finally dropped after several utter non performances (Real & QPR being the most notable), acting like an eejit in training and Lallana and Henderson tearing strips off him in the dressing room over how shite he was. It was a predictable disaster of a signing and we'd have been better off just not getting a striker that season and hoping Lambert could've cut it for the year until someone who actually wanted to be a footballer was available.

Let's not forget Rodgers also dropped all of the Kenny era signings bar Suarez when he arrived, tried to sell Henderson to Fulham for £7m, only to later have to restore him to the starting XI by November, along with Downing and Enrique cos the players brought in to replace them, including Allen and Borini, who were most definitely his signings, weren't good enough. Whatever the merits, (or lack of, depending on your views), of Downing and Enrique, dropping them just to wipe the previous regime out without suitable players to replace them was childish.

Rodgers' problem wasn't so much that the job was too early for him in terms of pure management ability, it was that he was too arrogant. Going on about 'death by football' and having 11 footballers instead of a 10 footballers and a goalkeeper, and the sodding envelopes. If he'd been more willing to listen to people around him rather than go in like he'd been managing for as long and as successfully as Mourinho or Ferguson and insisting on his way or no way, it probably would've gone better.

As for his Leicester record, I'm not completely sure what to think of it. On one hand, he's pulled them back into the top 6, and won the FA Cup. That's no mean feat. And he does seem to have learned to work with the recruitment team there better than the one here. On the other hand he was in a Champions League place with two games to go in both of the last two seasons and bottled it each time. Particularly 19/20, their results in the second half of the season were awful compared to the first half.

My reply said nothing about anyone being a weasel...

And it was an awwwwwful lot more than just using the media. He was self-destructive within the basic workings of the club. He refused to work with a director of football, and the compromise was the establishment of a transfer committee. He then actively mismanaged (or just didn't play) recommendations of the committee while favouring his own buys. The likes of Aspas, Luis Alberto, Nuri Sahin, and Bobby were totally mismanaged (or just ignored) at times we could've really used them. (and before any Aspas corner memes pop up - we could reaaally have used him the next season with no Sturridge or Suarez, while he simply continued his career of banging in goals). Every transfer was turned into an internal tug-of-war, with the club itself being the chief loser.

The echo did an article a while back about how silly it all got;

But as I said, he's since obviously realised the error of his own ways, and now happily works with a director of football at Leicester, and has indeed recently said that a director of football is absolutely critical at a modern club. So it would seem he's perhaps on the same page with regards how he handled things at Liverpool.

Leicester suffered injuries to crucial players like Ndidi, Pereira (they led the league in tackles per match up to their injuries) and Chilwell in 19/20. Also Covid halted their stride. With a small squad, it was unsurprising the 19/20 campaign petered out which clubs with larger squads were able to maintain playing levels. Liverpool’s end of season results also did not match our pre Christmas level, Covid again playing a big part.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think he's done really well with Leicester. It's to be expected that a club with less depth are more likely to falter in the final games as the weight of the season takes its toll in comparison to bigger clubs. They were robbed of Maddison and Barnes, along with more than half their defence, with a Jamie Vardy who looked dead on his feet from having to play so much. Iheanacho single handedly papered over the cracks for the last 10 or 15 games last season... but Chelsea were always there, with this massive immense squad, creeping steadily up behind. Honestly, I think it was a huge achievement for Leicester to have stayed in the running for top 4 as long as they did over the past 2 years, rather than a failure to not hang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can you not scroll to a page 2 on the main soccer page now? I was looking for the football humour thread?

I'd just like to point out that Balotelli was used as a lone target man in the game immediately after Sturridge got injured, a role he was completely unsuited for. Lallana started on the left wing and Sterling was benched. Late in the game, Sterling replaced Lallana and Lambert replaced Balotelli. It made no sense at the time because Lallana was better at crossing than Sterling. He also had experience of playing off of Lambert while at Southampton. Sterling was better suited to partnering with Balotelli because of the combination of pace and movement. That sort of reinventing the playbook carry on from the manager was just a taster of what lay ahead.

Just ciick "All Discussions" underneath all the threads, and it'll bring you to a view where you can go through the forum page by page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think the humour thread was scrapped because it was dominated by two or three posters that turned it into a Liverpool/United snipefest with anything they could find regardless of whether or not it was humorous. Should have just permanently forum banned the fuckwits in mention, but I guess this is why we can't have nice things.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

From where Salah had the ball, nuts! Why on earth would a player like Milner look for the ball from a player like Salah who has it feet from goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Look harder.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118029386#Comment_118029386

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Because it's James P. Milner - the P is very important, it's the pocket he keeps Lionel Messi's essence in. There's a reason why Messi is a shadow of the player he was before he faced James Milner, he thought he was cursing Milner when he called him a donkey but the truth is Milner stole his essence.

If Salah had played the pass I have no doubt we would have witnessed the greatest goal that Messi never scored, instead Salah took the shot as a tribute to the greatest goal that he himself ever scored only two weeks previously.

Every player will always call options. It's not "you have to pass to me right now", it's, "i'm here unmarked if ya need".

• Advertisement

seems to still be goin' grand;

The other chap just couldn't find it cause he was on the opening soccer page, where you only see top threads. To see all threads you have to go to "All Discussions", one of the more annoying aspects of the new layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Poxy copy and paste didn't do it's job. The lads have already linked it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Cause that's what a decent player does

Cause that's how you draw a defender to make space for Salah

Cause if you don't then you devolve into a Messi team that just gives him the ball and has no other plan/threats.

Cause that's what Klopp wants him to do.

If I have one criticism it's that Salah only managed to put one defender on their arse to score, in 2018 I think he managed three. Standards must be maintained. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mane has improved and has more to come I think. He seems to have turned a corner mentally and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets close to his corruscating form of 2018/19 over the remainder of the season. He always has the physical attributes to reach that form, would love to see it again anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane and Salah are benefitting from have the summer off and getting in their first real R&R since they joined the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Never heard the word corruscating before.

I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

From the various angles in the tweet above, Milner isn't asking for a pass, he knows Mo is going to score. His body shape and movement are not of a man expecting the ball, they're of someone thinking 'holy ****, he's going to do it again'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Christ almighty, just watching the clips from the Brentford vs Chelsea game there, they seemed to have more chances than against us but didn't score. Annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will the Man U fans try and get the game called off again next weekend to try and get the Glazers out or will they want it to go ahead and hope Liverpool run riot so Ole will get the sack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement