Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School voluntary contribution - tax refund?

Options
  • 17-10-2021 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I have completed the CHY3 form and returned it to the school for the 2019/20 year. I'm currently doing my 2020 tax returns - how do I claim the tax back on this contribution? Is it through Form 11 or is somehow done through my employer and refunded like the bike to work scheme? I can't find any information online.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭db

I may be wrong but I think the point of this form is that the school claim your tax so in effect they get a topup on your donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're not wrong.

Sorry OP, there's nothing for you. The charity (sic) gets it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks all, I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

you can claim tax relief on school donations ?! how about if you are a muppet who has ended up sending their kid to a private school - any tax relief there ? (asking for a friend 😫)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Tow

You could claim tax relief for the 'voluntary donation' to free public schools, up to about 8 years ago. At one stage you could also use a deed of covenant to pay a friend's fees and they do the same for you. If you are COI the government still pays grant to attend private COI schools.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement