Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

He is 100% committed to deliberate misrepresentation. His post should come with that tag line

Primary endpoint of Covid vaccine studies was prevention of symptomatic illness not prevention of infection. If you read the studies, as you said you did, you would know this which makes me think you just enjoy being a liar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

That's what I said:

Efficacy is defined by the manufacturers as prevention of COVID-19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

What happens if the extension of the passports fail to stop rising cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

It's perfectly obvious that pretending to restrict about 2% of the population from going into hospitality won't make a blind bit of difference to cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Beatings will continue until moral improves. The 3rd shot will be the one that gets case numbers down I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

But that will be a Level 5 lockdown which lasts for the rest of the year including a soft lift for Xmas week

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Will you come back and apologise when it happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Don’t be so naive of course they will stop cases from rising, as an unvaccinated citizen I will be going away for few days now and sit in a packed bar and restaurant follow the science..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

In relation to simple science, here's an excerpt from the guardian by the great ben goldacre. I suggest you read any one of his books.

Even during the avian flu scare, Ireland were at the top of the table for embarrassing idiocy.

A classic example of getting all the column inches.

No difference this time round so, Prof NOLAN Et al!

How to be beautifully, blissfully wrong about Tamiflu: just call it a bird flu vaccine

Ben Goldacre

Sat 18 Feb 2006 00.08 GMT

The interesting thing about the Tamiflu vaccine for bird flu that everybody keeps going on about, is this: it's not a vaccine. The manufacturers even spell that out in their factsheet. It's a drug, an antibiotic for viruses.

But you wouldn't know that if you read Paul Routledge in the Mirror, Alan Hall in the Daily Mail, Sally Guyoncourt in the Express, the London Evening Standard, Simon Byrne in the Sunday People, and my own "yikes" favourite, Gavin Maguire, head of the "National Office for Emergency Planning" in Ireland, all of whom would tell you otherwise. I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

By the middle of November there will be talk of a "circuit breaker" lockdown before Christmas with all the medics and politicians going into bat for RTE.

These thíngs escalate quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Very Nazi-like. Apparently Hitler's plan after murdering his way through Europe was to implement public health measures aimed at protecting the majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Posters like that have so much egg on their faces by now that I'm surprised that they can see, and for some odd reason they seem to want even more egg on their faces.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Then why are you claiming that the vaccine only being 70% effective at preventing infection is a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Probably shouldn't call it a circuit breaker this winter considering we'll probably be out of electricity by then 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm not saying it's bad or good, I'm saying that it isn't sufficient to prevent 1) widespread infection, 2) widespread need for hospitalisation (because relative to unvacc'd, some proportion of vaccinated, infected people need hospitalisation), 3) overcrowding of hospitals. Therefore vaccination, as it stands, isn't sufficient to use as THE basis for public health decisions.

If, for example, NPHET recommended that "on Oct 22nd, nightclubs may open to full capacity but only for cert holders", this decision will lead to the same overcrowding of hospitals in winter (i.e. overcrowding beyond capacity).

The only effective measure at this point to get through winter is strict lockdowns. I don't want that, but that's the fact of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A level 5 lockdown will send a message that vaccines don’t work and any booster campaign will be an abstract failure

• Advertisement

When Holohan announces a Level 5 lockdown for the rest of the year? Yes, I'll come back and apologise*.

*I won't have to...it's pure PTH2009 fantasy.

That's not what PTH2009 said though. He reckons Holohan will put us in Level 5 next week and ease up at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So, tomorrow is the big day.

What are we thinking is the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The example of Waterford and what De Gascun said today, tells us everything about where we are heading.

The vaccinations are not stopping the spread. They are mitigating the symptoms but not stopping the spread.

Waterford is the example. De Gascun as good as said your viral load is exactly the same as an Unvaccinated person.

So essentially the faffing around waiting for the U40s, U30s, U18s vaccinated was absolutely pointless. It did absolutely nothing. And now there will be more hidden carriers. People who don't know they have it because the symptoms will be mitigated and then spreading it.

There's only one way we are heading . Full on, level 5 lockdown. More people will be carrying the virus without knowing it thinking "I'm vaccinated, I'm grand, I can do what I want now".

Case numbers will be through the roof. Far beyond last year, if they have enough tests. Hospitals will be in trouble. NPHET know only one way of supressing the virus. Lockdown. Opposition parties will be demanding lockdowns, they'll be putting every single death on Micheal Martin, like they did last year. Media will be wanting a lockdown. They absolutely love them.

What do you think the weakest, most servile human being ever to lead a sovereign nation is going to do? We are going full on, Level 5. It's only a question of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well we probably won't get any leaks until late at night so Tuesday really before there's anything that you can't take with a pinch of salt.

My guess for what it's worth, outdoor stadiums allowed 100% capacity, pubs and restaurants get their normal hours back, covid cert use extended. I do think nightclubs will get the go ahead primarily due to the if not now then when scenario, they might need another week or so to get the process of checking certs etc beded down, much like the pubs and restaurants couldn't implement it with 2 or 3 days notice.

But really it's a guessing game, there's not even a concensus across the media as to what might happen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Slight Delay in fully reopening, maybe three weeks.

Covid Certs will continue to be required to enter Pubs, Restaurants, Nightclubs etc with greater enforcement checks (albeit that's not going to happen)

Not sure about live events but probably still restrictions on numbers etc

They'll allow greater numbers at weddings etc .

All Just a guess mind you 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Agree generally just not convinced pubs will get an extension in opening times if they delay night club reopening but just a guess 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I guess a sense this will be NPHET's last throw of the dice, aren't they being disbanded? Seems to me there's certainly a cohort of very senior civil servants and ministers longing to see the back of them , my only concern would be having to depend on what's supposed to be governing actually taking charge , scary and alarming thought .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

paying pup to hospitality workers and closing bars didnt cost the state much so the economy will survive and dosent cost votes, so if the badly managed HSE, its union and bosses cannot deliver without restrictions its the lesser of 2 evils and kids get to stay at school so go for it, i am based in canaries for the rest of the year, I had 1 night in dublin recently its barely open so it wouldnt be missed, outside service and inside by appointment all limited no atmosphere, am sure rural cope better less checks and nod and wink.

We alway where the out lyer in EU but NI is easy access, UK for weekends and families can stay in a hotel and dine together no vacs needed.

Lot of job openings in UK for our educated this country is a dump always was and will be bring on L5 just MNC open we ill be grand

Advertisement