Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trump actually achieved nothing.

Really? Nothing

Surely the man had one decent policy ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He set an aggressive timeline to withdraw from Afghanistan, then Biden had to tidy it up. Biden takes the blame.

He gave all the wrong signals on Covid, then Biden had to tidy up the mess. Biden gets the blame.

He overheated the economy with a massive tax cut for the rich, Biden has to tidy it up still. Biden already getting the blame for inflation.

He created a crisis at the border, Biden is tidying it up. Biden is getting the blame for the crisis.

He withdrew from the Paris accords. Biden reversed it. But nothing actually changed because the withdrawal hadn’t actually kicked in yet. Biden is blamed for higher fuel prices.

So, what policy was successful by your estimation?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Medical evidence of the cognitive issues please.

This is hilarious. Trump made a balls of all of this and Biden has to fix it!!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It goes further than that, I'd wager there's books (sponsored by shell) that disclaim the connection between consumption of fossil fuels and climate change, because of 'balance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trump set a deadline based on multiple conditions being kept by the Taliban.

The Taliban repeatedly broke these conditions yet Biden still withdrew.

Regarding the border, Biden is now planning to reintroduce Trumps Remain in Mexico policy. Biden proposed humane immigration reforms but continued harsh, Trump-era enforcement policies at the border. All the while he has encouraged migrants to come to the border, telling them that they will be welcome. Its his mess.

He withdrew from the Paris accords. Biden reversed it. But nothing actually changed because the withdrawal hadn’t actually kicked in yet. Biden is blamed for higher fuel prices.

Biden is blamed for higher fuel prices because he placed a moratorium on the federal oil and gas leasing program. He stopped pipelines being built.

You cant blame Trump for that as much as you'd like.

He overheated the economy with a massive tax cut for the rich, Biden has to tidy it up still. Biden already getting the blame for inflation.

Thats right ,ignore the elephant in the room. Covid-19, did you hear of that ?

Record low unenemployment levels before Covid. Record low black unemployment levels.

For the past year and a half due to Covid hardly anyone was spending money. Now that the economy is back open, people are spending and traveling and, as such, there is a bottleneck with very high demand.

There are a number of unique factors at play.

A supply chain disruption due to Covid, government stimulus spending, and a recovery driven by vaccine rollout and economies re-opening.

But yeah according to you its because Trump gave a tax break to the rich. Blinkered.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

So what Trump policy was a success?

FYI a pandemic doesn’t cause inflation.

they/them/theirs

Biden is now planning to reintroduce Trumps Remain in Mexico policy.

No he isn't, he's being forced to by a judge.

Biden proposed humane immigration reforms but continued harsh, Trump-era enforcement policies at the border. 

No he didn't.

Trump set a deadline based on multiple conditions being kept by the Taliban.

The Taliban repeatedly broke these conditions yet Biden still withdrew.

So the withdrawal should not have happened?

Biden is blamed for higher fuel prices because he placed a moratorium on the federal oil and gas leasing program. He stopped pipelines being built.

Biden is partially to blame for higher fuel prices because he's putting the planet first. Supply is down so the equilibrium price increased. This is what happens when you put future generations first over your approval ratings.

Record low unemployment levels before Covid. Record low black unemployment levels.

The unemployment rate has has little to do with the president, as I've stressed previously.

What you’re seeing is a simultaneous confluence of one-time occurrences that have both exposed economic weaknesses and created a vicious inflationary cycle. It’s largely due to a perfect storm of supply chain disruption from Covid, government spending to fill the economic void and a synchronized global recovery driven by vaccine rollout and economies re-opening.

I see you follow your fellow brethren in trying to pass off other other people's words as your own.

Edit: And now you've edited your post to remove your plagiarism. Pathetic.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He was elected because he promised to stop the pipeline.

And he did, thankfully.

Environment over profit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Take the Trump talk to the Trump thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

100% agree with you.

Now he has 3 years to turn it around but the last 9 months have been a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

You mean I can’t disagree with you unless I produce a history of the US Presidency with a comparative analysis of every President’s achievements? This is a chat board.

Biden’s ratings are now in Trump territory and lower than any other previous President.

You might like higher corporation tax - half the “intelligentsia” in this country would happily strangling our golden goose - but no one has pointed to any practical help Biden has given us, despite his strong words on the NI Protocol. I think Biden is the US President best disposed to Ireland but he’s too weak to really help us.

Delivering on election promises is a poor measure of strength or weakness. In many cases, such promises are made out of weakness i.e. trying to buy votes. (Never happens here, God forbid!, but those Yanks get up to quare tricks)

A strong President is someone with the power to pursue their political vision, controlling the levers of power domestically, including in Congress, and externally through global leadership. Biden is obviously weak domestically. Not only do Democrats have the slimmest of majorities in the Senate, they are utterly split ideologically. Contrast that with e.g. Reagan and Tip O’Neill.

Trump was a failure as President and deserved not to be re-elected (though he would have been but for COVID) but he was far stronger than Biden. He transformed the Republican Party into an instrument of his personal power. It’s funny to read all his critics here who are trying to argue that he was the weakest of all Presidents. Until now, we were being told that Trump had singlehandedly destroyed America. I would rank him along with Carter in terms of power I.e. both came to the White House with great ambitions but neither delivered (yeah, I know both men would hate that comparison). But both were stronger than Biden and both had political vision while Biden is a weak chameleon in the grip of “progressives” who despise everything he worked for over the last 40 years.

Post edited by Caquas on

You mean I can’t have disagree with you unless I produce a history of the US Presidency with a comparative analysis of every President’s achievements? This is a chat board.

You can disagree as much as you like. However, you cannot state things like "Biden was the weakest US President in modern history" when you evidently have not put any effort into quantifying how weak or strong modern US presidents have been. You believe he is the weakest because you want it to be the case.

Biden’s ratings are now in Trump territory

No they aren't, I objectively showed that in my last post.

and lower than any other previous President.

You might like higher corporation tax - half the “intelligentsia” in this country would happily strangling our golden goose - but no one has pointed to any practical help Biden has given us, despite his strong words on the NI Protocol. I think Biden is the US President best disposed to Ireland but he’s too weak to really help us.

What help are you looking for exactly?

A strong President is someone with the power to pursue their political vision

And Biden is doing just that. Unlike previous presidents, he is not backing down on things that may hinder his approval rating nor that has universal approval from his party.

Biden is obviously weak domestically.

You do seem to use that word "obviously" a lot and then when asked you to demonstrate it, you go "what, you expect me to..."? No, it is not obvious. Demonstrate it with evidence.

Not only do Democrats have the slimmest of majorities in the Senate, they are utterly split ideologically.

Good, I'm glad we have critical thinkers in the senate who don't just follow the opinions of their party.

And are you saying that they should have a larger margin in the Senate? Because they weren't expected to have a majority at all.

He transformed the Republican Party into an instrument of his personal power.

That's not a strong president, that's a narcissist.

Now Biden has even lost SNL.

https://youtu.be/QQP_IMxtfBM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No. The topic of the the origins of species is covered under the curriculum standards set out by the Texas State Board of Education. There was some consideration given to putting creationism into the curriculum as an alternate viewpoint, to great publicity, in 2017, but it was ultimately rejected.

It's also to be noted that evolution is under the heading of 'science' (The text under discussion in 2017 is part of the biology standards), whilst HB3979 applies specifically to social studies.

You're obviously not a regular SNL viewer. SNL regularly mocks and calls out both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ah here. They’ve been mocking Biden for years. Jim Carey was a special guest as Biden in 2020

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I do watch SNL and it consistently leans left i.e. it generally makes fun of Democrats in a much lighter vein. I don’t object to that - no one is forced to watch (or pay licence fees to NBC) - but it’s nonsense to pretend that SNL is even handed between the two parties and when SNL starts ridiculing a Democratic President, he must know he’s in trouble with his own team.

Yes, SNL obviously leans left. If they made fun of both sides an equal amount, the episode length would only be 15 minutes due to a lack of material.

when SNL starts ridiculing a Democratic President, you know he’s in trouble with his own team

No, they do it all the time.

There’s no lack of comedic material from this Administration but clearly some people don’t want to see it. SNL never lampooned Obama like they have begun to ridicule Biden.

There’s no lack of comedic material from this Administration but clearly some people don’t want to see it.

If that's the case you'll have no problem replying to my last long post rather than ignoring it.

SNL never lampooned Obama like they have begun to ridicule Biden

Yes they did, Fred Armisen and Jay Pharoah mocked him on a weekly basis. Your revisionist history about SNL and the strength of previous US presidents gives off strong confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

😂

He's a mental aul hoor all the same. At least he said "fewer" rather than "less" 😂

You can disagree as much as you like. However, you cannot state things like "Biden was the weakest US President in modern history" when you evidently have not put any effort into quantifying how weak or strong modern US presidents have been. You believe he is the weakest because you want it to be the case.

• Like I said, you won’t allow me to state my view if you disagree with me. Now you’ve abandoned your ludicrous demand that I write the history of the modern US Presidency but you still deny me my right to express my view of Biden, which I have backed up with clear factual statements over a series of posts.

Biden’s ratings are now in Trump territory 

and lower than any other previous President.

• Did you not read the Economist article I posted?

What help are you looking for exactly?

• Anything would do, really. I’m making the point that Biden’s weakness is also evident in our own country.

A strong President is someone with the power to pursue their political vision

And Biden is doing just that. Unlike previous presidents, he is not backing down on things that may hinder his approval rating nor that has universal approval from his party.

• He is pushing a massive spending spree which he did not mention during his election campaign and which runs counter to his 40 year political legacy. He is captive to “progressives” who despise him (and Obama).

Biden is obviously weak domestically.

You do seem to use that word "obviously" a lot and then when asked you to demonstrate it, you go "what, you expect me to..."? No, it is not obvious. Demonstrate it with evidence.

• No, I don’t. And I gave many examples.

Not only do Democrats have the slimmest of majorities in the Senate, they are utterly split ideologically.

Good, I'm glad we have critical thinkers in the senate who don't just follow the opinions of their party.

And are you saying that they should have a larger margin in the Senate? Because they weren't expected to have a majority at all.

• We agree! The Democrats are split. Hence Biden is weakened.

He transformed the Republican Party into an instrument of his personal power.

That's not a strong president, that's a narcissist.

• Not unusual to be both, possibly even necessary. As I said (but you don’t listen), Trump,was a failure and deserved not to be re-elected. But he was definitely stronger than Biden.

What's funny about that? The average democracy index 15 years (5.52) ago is greater than the average democracy index today (5.37).

Like I said, you won’t allow me to state my view if you disagree with me.

Because you're not stating it as an opinion. You're saying that these things are obvious when, no, they are not obvious and you have provided no evidence to suggest that that they are obvious.

which I have backed up with clear factual statements over a series of posts.

You have provided zero evidence of that. Zero. All you proved is that Biden is not the perfect president by listing some things you believe he has done wrong.

This may shock you to your very core, but every single US president has made mistakes. Listing some mistakes of a particular president does not indicate the strength of that president. You need to compare and contrast that list to previous presidents. And, not only have not done that for several presidents, you seemingly cannot do that for any previous president, and yet you've somehow managed to come to the conclusion that's he the weakest president in modern history. Impressive.

Did you not read the Economist article I posted?

Yes. Did you read the facts the I responded with? Not the opinions, but the facts?

Would you like to explain how Biden's rating is "lower than any other previous President" as you state? It's significantly higher than the last president, it's significantly higher than e.g. Ford's rating and, as I said, every president of the last 50 years has had a similar rating during their first term.

Anything would do, really. I’m making the point that Biden’s weakness is also evident in our own country.

Give some examples then. Seems like you're struggling for reasons to dislike Biden.

No, I don’t. And I gave many examples.

No, you didn't. You gave several examples, and as I said above, you can pick out examples from any previous president and declare them as being weak domestically. Compare and contrast, otherwise you are being disingenuous.

We agree! The Democrats are split. Hence Biden is weakened.

I see you have no concept of what a weak president is. First you stated a strong president is someone who use his party for personal power, and now a weak president is someone who leads a party of independent, critical thinkers rather than sheep. Have you ever considered moving to Russia at all? Seems like you might like that regime.

Not unusual to be both, possibly even necessary

No, it really isn't. Being a narcissist is one of the more obvious signs of weakness.

But he was definitely stronger than Biden.

No, he really wasn't. And his constant crying after he lost his election just shows him as the weak little bitch that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I like that you're willing to be so deliberately obtuse that people will think you're a bit slow on the uptake just so you can defend the aul chap.

Commitment beyond the realms of reality. 😂

• Advertisement

I don't even know what the point of your post is. It apparently wasn't to suggest that he's lying, so what was it?

Advertisement