Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So Lower Decks gave us California, Parliament, Obena, NX transport, New Vulcan craft, Pakled, Nova refit, etc

Picard gave us a copy paste fleet of Curiosity Class and the La Serina?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Not to mention faithful interpretations of established races and events plus decently written stories.

Yeah, they went for TNG/DS9 Klingons. Not Discovery Klingons. That was nice.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Here is hoping that Eaglemoss or some other company is watching and makes good models of all the new ships for us to buy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Turns out that the soundtrack has been out for a week already and according to the composer, Chris Westlake, it's been kicking some powerful butt on the Apple music (formerly iTunes) charts.

Personal favourite is the track called "The Cerritos" It's the theme for the shuttle flyaround in the first series movie spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sovereign nacelles and an oval saucer. I wonder is it a kitbash joke

They seemed really desperate for Rutherford to get his clothes off

Didn't Rutherford go swimming with his date, previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When they were leaving the dock at the beginning, we could see the door on the viewscreen, then Gomez popped up onscreen, I was just thinking they were gonna crash.

On first watch I didn't at all cop that she was the same character as Geordies old sidekick

I think she was going with loads of other girls and he missed out cause of Tendi

The first lower decker from TNG you could say. If she thought Picard was intimidating she should be glad it wasn't Jellico.

I'd like to see more of Jellico. He wasnt a bad captain, just preferred things run his own way.

All Eyes On Rafah

There was a joke from Mariner about the possibility of getting a dodgy captain with a riding crop. Was that Picard ?

Jellico was the man came to mind straight away when they were worried about tough captains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

I assumed it was a callback to Freeman turning down a major refit for Soritos becuase it would «End up all `Sovereign Class`»

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Dear god didn’t I enjoy the last one. They certainly know how to leave you wanting more.

They should certainly drag Kurtzman & Co. by the lappells and go “Look!! THIS is how you make a Trek ship & crew that people can give a damn about. THIS is how you take one space event and make it the focus of your story without having the whole f**king galaxy at stake everytime. THIS is how you do it!!!

I couldn’t help but notice confirmation that ships in this series have viewscreens and not more of this smart window trend from the bridges of the JJ Movies. Although that’s not surprising from these people.

Oh….and I actually did order a RITOS tshirt :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

That was a fantastic finale. An episode good enough to have been a straight up TNG story on its own. The only minor niggle I had is that it never felt quite desperate enough on the Archimedes - you see them try to find a solution but they were so calm and composed it never felt like they were running out of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was a fantastically entertaining last episode; had everything you wanted from a finale. And as exciting as plots had been, this was a particularly tense and gutsy move that gave things a bit more heft.

Also. I now want the next Trek to have a dolphin or whale crew member. Let's see some seaQuest DSV inspiration here people lol.

So what of Rutherford then. The shadowed figures suggested something's there in his past.

Could be a Section 31 plot or Romulan spy device. Doesnt realise he is sending information to them.

As for Pakled Planet. They probably set off the second bomb while trying to 'test' it or take it apart or something equally stupid.

I'm sure Captain Freeman will have all charges dropped when the Klingons come forward with Info about the rogue ships Captain.

All Eyes On Rafah

I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't see a Darwin reference

So now that the dust has settled and we're starting the long wait until the next series, there is just one negative I want to bring up and hope is addressed in Season 3. As pointed out on the Disco thread, we have fleshed out a lot of upper and lower characters on this show then they have over there.

There is, however, one exception to this and it's a pretty big one considering he's one of the core characters. We know Mariner's story pretty well, her relationship to Captain Freeman and Admiral Freeman, where she's served etc. We've been to Orion and got a taste of Tendi's back story, we found out where Boimler was born (not Hawaii) and by extension Commander Ranson. Heck we even know Lt Cmndr Billups back story and a bit about Barnes and Jennifer.

Rutherford however has had very little background information dedicated to him. He's treated a bit like a simple pet in some ways. We got a sneak of a regressed memory in the finalé and I hope it's more to do with why he got a cyborg implant in the first place rather then the reset after the first Pakled battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haha, missed this moment the first time I saw Rutherford scrolling through memories

It's definitely from the first time he got the implant because it's them putting on the implant. You can tell from the conversation

Interesting that some of Rutherford's memories seem to be in the third person perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, they dropped that memory in for a reason I'd say. I'd say they will definitely look into that in season 3.

Roll on season 3. I really enjoy the show. Although sometimes I have to turn on subtitles to catch everything said as they tend to speak so fast when excited. It's not a complaint, just an observation and, let's be honest, pretty accurate: They are young, and in exciting and dangerous situations, of course they are going to babble.

I really like the characters. All of them. I love the rather serious attention to detail but not at the expense of making it too in-jokey. I mean I had forgotten about yer man with the riding crop but it was still a funny line.

As per other threads, I'm not as much of a Disco hater as many - like most, my biggest issue is with the Burnham character (Not the actor) being too noble and dour and 100% of the show revolving around her. And Picard had some great moments but also some duff (These are conversations for other threads). But what I love about LD (and hopefully Brave New Worlds) is the fun and joy in the show.

The characters are enjoyable with some real laugh out loud moments (Especially the Bajoran Sec officer). They balance the humour and the overall stories very well. I am assuming they will focus a little bit more on the Pakled situation and (presumably S31) Rutherford thing.

I was certainly wary of this when announced. Was fearing a "Family Guy Trek" type show but I am so glad I was wrong. (I am making my second attempt to watch The Orville but just find the homour/serious mixture much more jarring than Lower Decks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Orville has its moments but its too lightweight and smutty. I don't really know who its aimed at.

Lower Decks seems to pitched just about right.

Advertisement