Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have just seen RTE ads for a new nicky byrne singing show and angela scanlon show...

And you are looking for me to shell out €160 for this???

F@ck off....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The prize for the singing show is one million dollars €25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Can't blame RTE for the mess that Virgin Media has done with the 3 channels they have. 13 episodes of The Chase across the 3 channels tomorrow. Even if RTE was or wasn't there, VM will still take the easy option of removing Irish programmes, and replace with ITV Studios programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They've had a licence fee freeze for a good few years now but don't seem to have learned anything about living within their means. What happened to all that cash they got from selling land? Píssed away covering their losses I expect...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Tipping Point probably on for 4 hours straight, the 3 channels make no sense when they don't have the content to fill them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

I saw this for the first time last night and thought I was having a stroke. That must be up there among the most horrible ads I have ever seen on TV. Horrible screeching hip version of "anything you can do I can do better" while people apparently are sang at to death, all combined with flashing lights and mega wonky camera angles. The salt in the wound is when the robot with the microphone takes off their helmet to reveal the "oh god not him again" face of Nicky Byrne.

If you are going to get an ex boyband member to host a singing show, you should really try to get one that was actually able to sing. Also, you should stop making singing shows because every time you try, it turns out to be the same old shoite that you always make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Lotto, Telly Bingo, Champions League, Against the head, Angela Scanlons AMA, TG4's Cleas Act, TG4's Junior Eurovision, URC Rugby, Wolrd Cup Qualifiers (men and women), Gymnastics from Japan, Crimecall

Anyone notice the Fair City exploding car already had the interior stripped out, when it blows the drivers door is open and there's no door panel, all they had to do was film from a different angle

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I noticed the reg was from an Opel Corsa and not a Kia Ceed. Harry Molloy must have been watching 'Gone In 60 Seconds', perhaps he has a list of 50 motors he needs loaded on to a ship in Dublin Port by Friday.

I wouldn'be a watcher but was on a teabreak when it was on and just said to myself, that's slack

• Advertisement

Surely if the government start funding RTE directly from general taxation, 2fm will have to go? On what planet could it be justified paying 2fm djs from the exchequer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As I pointed out sport at the weekend (I will give you mid-week also). Is Telly Bingo even produced in RTÉ Studios?. Is Angela's show pre-recorded? Is Cleas Act coming back? A monthly Crimecall show. Are all of these shows recorded between 9am and 12:30 or from 2pm to 4:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

realistically, unless they can swap it with one of the online services then it's going nowhere.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Glow up Ireland got less than 46,000 viewers,

Jim Jenning's justification to me when I asked at Radio Days was that it severed a youth audience and that is part of RTÉ's public service remit as much as anything else, though he omitted the my lead to that question regarding children's TV and Drama and comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's as out of touch with the youth as Ireland's own magazine that's why you have a hip-hop show sandwiched between 2 dance shows on Saturday night

And why does 2fm as a "youth" station have a woman in her 40s presenting a 3 hour talkshow in the midmorning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is, but to be fair most terrestrial radio probably is as well at this stage.

management at 2fm stupidly think or thought that those listening to the first dance show would stick around through the hip hop show, they don't unless they are one of the small few who like both who would be a minority of the audience for all of those shows.

so the management need to change that schedule and put the hip hop show on first, then the dance music.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

And yet Ireland's Own does genuinely impressive numbers. Close to RTE guide numbers. The Christmas edition of IReland's Own sells 70,000 copies. That's more than Glow-Up Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yes Telly Bingo is produced and recorded in RTE studios 3 times a week, Yes Angela Scanlons AMA is recorded in RTE studios twice a week, Yes, cleas Act is coming back, Crimecall was on twice in 3 weeks last Monday. Yes all these shows are rigged, lit, rehearsed & recorded or TXd live from 08.00 - 22.30/23.00. Thos shows I metioned in my post were being shot in RTE studios last week and this. I was just trying to answer your question about what exactly is happening in RTE studios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder will there still be advertising under the new system. If there is RTE could justify 2FM and other populist stuff by saying they are self-financing (or nearly).

Youth station or not, isn't there enough pointless bloody talk on Irish radio already?

Nothing wrong with having stations that just play music - no talk, news, weather, inane chat, or tokenistic Irish, just play the music. Anyone who wants the other things has plenty of other options to get them.

It seems attitudes among the powers that be haven't changed from 40+ years ago when it was somehow seen as immoral that pirates were playing "mindless pop music" all day and corrupting the nation... I thought broadcasting had moved on a bit from the days of Lord Reith but maybe I was wrong.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't mean to go through a list but in the height of the worst historical recession of the late 1980s to the early 1990s... and on up to around 2008

RTÉ ONE (Studio programming)

• Morning News Bulletins
    • News 1pm, 6pm, 9pm
    • Afternoon News Bulletins (inc. News for the Deaf)
    • An Afternoon Show (Live at Three now Today now from Cork)
    • TLLS/Kenny Live
    • Current Affairs shows e.g. Prime Time/Today Tonight (I think they have drop one, Marketplace)
    • A number of mid-week chatshows (Bibi, Lime Light and so on)
    • Live Saturday Morning Children's Programming up to 1998
    • Mass (You can't beat a good mass)/Service
    • and not mention before Glenroe and Fair City (3 eps per week but with a break)
    • Lotto Shows e.g. Winning Streak later Telly Bingo (which was a quiz show at one stage???)
    • Garda Patrol/Crimecall
    • Mailbag/Week in Review
    • Saturday night family programmes

RTÉ2

• 30 mins of Live The Den at least (growing from 1998 with intro of mornings and TTV etc)
    • Jo Maxi (later echo island and others into around 2008)
    • Curasí (Daily Irish current affairs programme)
    • Nighthawks/Later on 2/Jerry Ryan Tonight
    • News 2/Network News/News On 2
    • Evening News Bulletin
    • An Nuacht
    • The Beat Box / 2TV
    • Sports Stadium
    • Live Sports/A range of weekly sporting highlight shows

Now

RTÉ ONE

• RTÉ NEWS 1pm, 6pm, 9pm
    • Nuacht RTÉ le TG4
    • Today
    • Current Affairs shows (minus Marketplace)
    • Crimecall
    • Mass/Service
    • TLLS and/or Angela Asks/Tiernan
    • Crimecall
    • Lotto Programming
    • Fair City (4 eps)

RTÉ2

• News2Day
    • Live Sports
    • Sports highlight programming

• also TG4 light entertainment programming

I just wonder how they did it in the past?

The crazy wages and competition from the other channels is probably the main reason. That and you've got access to free entertainment on youtube, on a scale you've never had before.

Gay Byrne, for example, despite earning over a million viewers per night each night the Late Late Show was on, and earning another 1 million + for the early runs of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, never got the kind of money his successor's got. Notice how, when he retired, the license fee increased quite a bit.

(Scroll down to see the license fee table showing the increase, year by year).

From 1986, to 1996, the license fee was the same cost, and only underwent a relatively minor increase in 1996. (It increased by £8. Roughly ten euro.) Then from 2001, to 2008, it increased annually. 2002 to 2003 saw a HUGE increase (imo) of the fee going from €107 to €150. €43 euros of an increase.

When the economy went belly up in 2008,the license fee was never increased after that. Tho in 2024, it will undergo a 'broadcasting charge' or some crud.

@RabbleRouser2k Ray Burke refused to increase the license fee, he also capped their advertising revenue. He'd hoped that that revenue would go to the new local radio stations, the new national radio and TV station. Mostly it went north to UTV as TV3 failed to get of the ground until 1998.

Should RTÉ stop advertising on TV all most all revenue will head towards Sky, Channel 4, Viacom, UKTV, with Virgin Media TV seeing no increase in revenue.

M. D. Higgins began increasing the license fee to off set the cost of setting up TG4 by RTÉ in 1996. After that it increase almost every year, until the downturn.

At least Burke and Higgins had plans and ideas, weather they were to hurt RTÉ or to create TG4 and Indo TV and Radio.

Their successors sat on their hands and really cause far more damage than Burke could have ever imagined, though helped by a lazy RTÉ.

Well we all know what Burke was up to.

From the wiki article mentioned above:

Century Radio, Ireland's first licensed national solely private-sector broadcaster, began broadcasting in 1990. Minister Ray Burke proposed allocating 25% of the television licence revenues to private-sector broadcasters. The government rejected this, but agreed instead to cap RTÉ's advertising income. A tribunal of enquiry later established that Oliver Barry, an investor in Century Radio, had given Burke a political donation of £30,000. The advertising cap was lifted in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And all this only came to light after Bertie carried out an exhaustive search of every tree in North Dublin only to find nothing on his friend Ray, Bertie who seems to be making a bit of a comeback accross the airwaves these days only ever saw what he wanted to see

As one person noted about Bertie, he hid behind women. Remember when he funnelled cash into Celia's bank account and beautician business, and Cecelia Ahern's bank account, and Georgia's too, I believe?

https://www.thejournal.ie/mahon-tribunal-ahern-3972899-Apr2018/

Bertie was (more than likely) taking money too. I'd say there wasn't a clean politician during that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say there wasn't a clean politician during that era.

I'd say that's an exaggeration.

• Advertisement

Wasn't a clean FFer - now that'd be plausible...

Advertisement