Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He's a journalist though. he writes/has had column in examiner/echo and features on limerick radio. his perspective is from one side/focused on one side as thats his target market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

1. Other than under Law 10.4c, an offside player can be put onside when:
    1. An onside team-mate of that player moves past the offside player and is within or has re-entered the playing area.

molloyjh im not disagreeing with you , but if Beirne stands still he can be put on side by the advancing Cloete, he doesnt have to retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But Cloete never played Beirne onside, Beirne advanced forward from an offside position and played the ball.

Im not saying he did, I was replying to the post where mollyj said that he had to retreat in order to be put on side. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Good performance by Connacht. Prendergast again was great but that injury looks like he will be out for a bit. Was interesting that Jarrad was on the bench but on current form the right call.

Beirne is such a pain in the arse. The abity to strip a ball or to dig into a ruck and pull the ball out shows why he has every right to be considered for Ireland.

It was a good game. I don't think either deserved to lose. The Carty missed convertion proved crucial in the end. And it's really his progress back at international level. He is liable to miss some very simple kicks.

I wonder if Zebo is regretting his move back to Munster. Neither him or Earls hardly got a sniff of the ball which is a reflection on how poor Carbury was. Healy is a far better 10 at this moment in time. His passing the previous week against Scarlet's was sublime.

I thought Sammy Arnold had a good game and Bundee was really aggressive. There was very little going for Munster through the middle.

I guess the most impressive part of Connachts play was how steady the scrum was, after a slightly shaky start. Lineouts were about 50/50 with some won and some lost by both teams.

I just wish Connacht could put the same effort in for each game. There are games that they are clearly up for and others that they are just not in the mindspace for. And it's really costing them big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Ticket sales not looking great for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Luke Fitz is a former professional player who is a pretty poor pundit but still a pundit. He is not just a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not surprised honestly. It struck me as a very strange move when they announced it, but I can imagine they're depserate for any bit of extra cash at the minute and I was hoping that I might be proven wrong. Hopefully they can still get a few extra quid out of it and crucially losing the home advantage doesn't cost us in the end, as the season nearly already hinges on this game now...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That says “other than law 10.4(c)” which is the one that covers a player being ahead of the kicker. So that part of the law doesn’t apply in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can you possibly explain your last sentence as I don't understand it?

The rejigging of the league format has probably affected Connacht more than any other team. We share our shield with the 1,2 and 3 in the combined league table. Losing at home to Dragons without any points, failing to pick up anything away to Cardiff, our season is already in dire straits to be honest, and we'll be very hard pushed to make top 8 and champions cup qualification as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I noticed them pushing it hard during the week which hinted to me that sales weren't great. Forecast doesn't look great for next weekend either which might put off the late ticket buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I think the coaching staff can be called into question as much as the team. I think a lot of honesty required among the team and the staff if there is to be any improvement. As you mentioned some players are not playing well and it needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

What kind of numbers have been sold so far? As someone who wasn't happy about it when it was announced it would be a disaster if they dont at least make some cash from it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I was also annoyed at the decision to move the Ulster game (and still am really), but my in laws are in Dublin, so we're going to make a family trip out of it. For those season ticket holders who are still on the fence, just an FYI that you don't have to take the premium level seat the branch have emailed about - you can select whatever seat(s) you want, and then apply your voucher which will take 50 euro off the total. I booked a family ticket in the tier below premium for €85, which cost €35 after the voucher was applied.

No 10.4c refers to a player being within 10m of the ball/catcher, in that case he must retreat as the actions of a teammate wont put him on-side.

Not sure on numbers but if you go to the website: https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-vs-ulster-avivastadium-presale/

You can click in and look at the seat availability. Still quite a few empties, but to be fair the Aviva is a very big stadium. It looks to me like they've probably still sold multiples of the Sportsground capacity, hopefully enough to make a decent chunk of change off the match. If we can win it will have been worth it.

I'd be shocked if there's 15k at it tbh. I think the internal goal was 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I wish people wouldn't quote that TRK muppet account. Aside from being biased beyond the point of being able to acknowledge a Munster error or ref error benefiting Munster, the guy has made a lot of the fact he had mental health issues in the past, but doesn't hesitate to incite an online pile-on when someone disagrees with him or shows him up. Bang of small man syndrome off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He does nothing of the sort. He doesn't @ anyone in tweets.

Some of the comments on here have crossed a line. People are melting down over one take regarding one decision. Get over it.

TRK is an absolutely useless account that I generally ignore but wish them the best in whatever personal struggles they face. I will say however that in my uneducated opinion being as visible as they are online I hope they have considered whether it's worth taking a break. Anytime I've seen the account critiqued is generally very fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yep. The 42 podcast (Murray kinsella) have basically agreed with Tom's (TRK) view on that offside (that it's not as blatant an example of bad refereeing as Andy Friend and posters on here are alleging)

It looked offside in real time but when you look more carefully it was much more marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It might be due to the slow death of the site, but no one is ‘melting down’ over this. Rassie’s response to the Lions was a meltdown and the person in question found it hilarious.

People find comments about themselves without being @ ed. No one has @ ed him here yet you believe comments have gone too far and he even seems to have taken some huge offense to them. It is all in the name of fun when he is dishing it out, but everyone is horrible when the shoe is on the other foot.

I have real sympathies for people dealing with mental health issues, but you lose me when the person goes out of their way to incite and troll others to react and then plays the poor soul card and uses their mental issues as some kind of strange shield to avoid valid criticism for their actions. It is like a lad who goes out on a night out looking for a fight and then cries when he finds one.

He has done a great job drawing in a certain type of fan to his page, complaining about practically every decision that has ever gone against Munster and is now shouting about other teams ‘can’t handle their L’. Maybe some time away would be good for him, maybe he can get a handle on his own ‘L’ that was that ridiculous attempt at analysis of that kick that was rightly mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If people want to go vanity searching or hate searching, that's up to them. Nobody is forced to read TRK's analysis or tweets. If you think it's bollocks or trolling, grand.

What I think is unfair is the personal nature of some of the reaction on here.

That's enough white knighting from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On Twitter posts get liked, retweeted, or commented on and then pop up onto people's feed - you don't get the luxury of choosing what you see and that is before you even think about what your friends and family see. I certainly don't follow TRK but his stuff regularly ends up on my feed due to interactions by decent rugby accounts I follow - like his 'poor me' act today came up with him looking for those sympathy likes at the same time as name calling those who disagreed with him.

What TRK certainly isn't 'forced' to do is to come on here and read the threads but he seems enjoy the 'hate searching' you mentioned, likely he moreso enjoys the attention seeking 'poor me' posts he can put up more.

Since I've joined Boards people have criticized practically every rugby analyst/personality when they have said stupid things but somehow TRK, along with seemingly several posters here, feel he is a sacred cow who no one can disagree with and definitely no one should ever respond to him in the same tone he uses or how personal he gets with others on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

I can't believe we're still talking about this offside.

1) There is not a single image, no matter how grainy or carefully timed, that shows Beirne behind Scannell before the kick was taken. At absolute best, maybe his foot is in line, with the vast majority of him ahead and the benefit of the pitch lining to show us that.

2) There is no footage or images that show he subsequently was brought onside by a team mate before he played the ball. They don't exist.

He was clearly offside. If you still can't admit that you're either deluding yourself or being purposely misleading with an agenda.

Advertisement