Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

Apart from the OP, you and some others? Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

If you could quote somewhere in this thread, or any where on the site really, that I complained people who wanted to were doing something through Irish that'd be great. You do you, just leave those of us not interested in a dying language out of it.

Wrt services through Irish, the simple, mathematical fact is there are not enough fluent Irish speakers in the country to staff all those roles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just read the first two pages and the amount of anti Irish is madness. Yes I have very little Irish but I feel ashamed considering there are people who speak two or more languages. Yes, I wish I was fluent but I didn't always feel that way which is why I forget what I was taught in school. (over 21 years ago)I never read the Irish part in signs or anything so I just forgot it.

You are on a thread about getting rid of Irish signage. That’s definitely people interested in a dying language albeit to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

Irish is the first official language. So while there is no constitutional issue with Irish being first on signs, there probably is for English being first or dominant. That said the courts have been fairly practical on this subject and have indicated that either language can be used in many cases. So who knows how the courts would rule if the provisions of the Act were reversed.

I am trying to leave you out of it - but whenever I think you've gone away you reappear. If you really want to show your lack of interest you need to try less hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Irish forms should be smaller on, for example road signage, in order to reflect the de facto usage of the two main languages of the state. It's as simple as that.

Nothing really that new in these concerns - look back to the 1960s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Freedom_Movement

Prominent & respected citizens such as John B Keane & Gaybo had reservations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Fishdoodle

• Advertisement

I was accused of "standing around crying" because people were doing things through Irish so I asked for proof of that. The post probaly could use an extra comma or two.

Oh, I see 🙂 I’d imagine you’re indifferent re. Irish. If that’s the case, I wonder what areas of Irish culture you value or have active interest in?

Any historical figures in our history you’d respect who got us to where we are today?

We’re lucky to have a culture and unique identity in the world. Oftentimes it’s easy to overlook what the country has been through …and still a work in progress! Culture has value.

I don't participate in any aspects of traditional Irish culture, I've been exposed to plenty of them but they never held my interest.

I stopped looking into Irish history in junior cycle, the long series of defeats got a bit repetitive.

Yeah, our culture is unique, just like everyone else's.

Culture is a matter of opinion and experience

To some, Tayto sandwiches are part of our culture, to others its getting blinding drunk on a Sat night and for others its being able to waste millions by asking for everything in a dead language

As to what part of what element of culture has value and how great that value is, again is a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Long history of defeats. You will find out the truth when you die. You will be shocked. You might think he is nuts but remember I said this.

See, that’s really insightful as to why you think the way you do. Culture has a creative power -it can open your mind and broaden it. But some people can be numb to culture- that aspect is just dormant. Seems like there is a lot of potential inside you but the view of life & meaning can seem realistically narrow in an unfulfilling matrix-like reality. So if cultural areas of music, sport, poetry, dance, history, art, prose, Irish …don’t hold your interest, (and I’m genuinely intrigued here), what does???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Question not aimed at me, I know, but I'm in the same boat but the obvious answer is - a different culture?

Culture is not an just expression of arts, its an expression of lifestyle, social behaviour either positive or negative right down to the way people do things. And it's not just linked to countries or regions - there are dozens of cultures based on shared interests, politics or arts that trasnscend nationality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So if cultural areas of Irish language, music, sport, poetry, dance, history, art, prose don’t hold your interest, (and I’m genuinely intrigued here), what does???

Good question actually. If I think about for me anyway... the language holds almost zero interest. Irish trad in tiny doses, solo uileann pipes I like, a session in a pub would be more a purgatory. Dance never appealed as it looked like a bloodless twitching St Vitus tap dance before Riverdance jazzed it up. Though most of the trad dancing in Europe would fit that bloodless description, Flamenco being one of the exceptions. Still, the English had morris dancing and that's just sad on every level. 🤣 I'm not into sport in general so... though the Irish cycling legends of the 80's certainly impacted me at the time. Irish poetry and prose yeah, but all of it would be written in english and over the last two centuries. Irish art can comfortably be refined to the prehistoric, Celtic and early medieval, with a looooong gap until the late 19th century and into the 20th in modernism. Save for those periods we were just too provincial for it to have much hold. Being dirt poor didn't help. My appreciation of our history would kinda follow the art end of the things as far as the same periods go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Like PCB said, culturally Irish things outside those areas. I had written then deleted part of my last response that was essentially "I drank pretty heavily in my late teens and early twenties which is a very Irish thing to do." It's partially a joke but it also is, or was then at least, a very big part of the culture.

Limiting what's considered Irish to what's more or less ancient aspects no true Scotsmans the culture straight away. How many of the things you listed would I have to enjoy to be considered culturally Irish? And can someone who enjoys all those things but has never nor ever plans to step foot in Ireland be considered more Irish because of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Spanish and French are both very recognisibly Romance, and speaking one makes it incredibly easy to learn the other, despite whatever changes have occurred in them over the last 2000 years.

Today, most English vocabulary is non-Germanic, and the verb system is highly simplified, whether as a result of Scandinavian influence or French - or both.

Speaking only English, the average person will not pick up German or Dutch in a few months just by being there and hearing it around you: but this will happen to the average person moving between French, Spanish, Italian - or between German and Dutch.

180 schooldays x 14 years (do kids learn anything in TY?) = 2,520 schooldays. Less the days kids miss, etc.

It varies with the language; and being a motivated adult is very different to sitting in a schoolroom where there is no guarantee that either the teacher is competent (and many primary teachers are very poor at Irish) or that the pupil is making an effort to learn.

The 5,000 contact hours are supported by Canadian studies into bilingual/immersion education in Canada; also by studies in the Basque country where they discovered that bilingual schools only produced a minority of functionally bilingual kids.

So people here can tell us what we should know after X hours of instruction in Irish - based on nothing more than their individual opinion (which curiously seems to generally be hostile to Irish) - or we can go with serious academic studies into the matter in foreign countries and then try to extrapolate their findings to Irish.

Probably not in today's Ireland, no.

But some years ago I met a Dutch woman who told me that her first job, at the age of 16, was working in a tourist shop on the Damrak in Amsterdam.

For that job, she had to speak Dutch, of course, but also English, French and German too. For me, this sort of puts our incompetence in teaching/learning languages in a very different light.

So first we force Irish speakers to learn English, and having done so, we then use that as an excuse to deny them services in Irish?

Sounds like a good definition of facism to me.

There's another side to this: a teacher who teaches Irish through English is not providing contact hours, and we know that this is general throughout the English-language school system in Ireland. It is a self-defeating situation, and must be viewed as intended to be so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Language is a tool, plain and simple, there to allow us to communicate with our peers, when that tool no longer fits the job it's no longer useful. The arguments about history and culture are really only relevant for the content, not the language you use to record it or express it. In fact if you think there is more value in maintaining those cultural elements in a language a tiny percentage of our own country speak, let alone zero outside it, then you're missing the point of your own argument. Similar to the history argument being used, having had or used something in the past doesn't mean you need to today. Also comparing this to languages like French and Spanish is pointless, besides both of those countries not natively speaking English to begin with they are in use in other countries around the world based mostly on colonial history. Irish is nowhere else, and again even here only truly spoken by an absolutely tiny minority.

I respect some people want to use it and for their kids to learn it but it should be completely optional and not treated like a core part of our internal systems. Ditto if you take some pride in it, I do in my model collection, each to their own. But I do resent this being compulsory on official documents, announcements and in schools when the time could be freed up for other more useful topics that the child and parents can choose (before you jump on this very clearly 'choose', if they still want Irish fine but if it was me I'd use the time for learning to code).

It took me three attempts before I got the census form in Irish last time out. Many people wouldn't have been so persistent.

• Advertisement

"I never said the onus was on you to provide state services"

"I'm assuming you can speak Irish fluently, you could offer your time to teach a class or start club or any number of things through Irish."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only if you want to run to hysterics or don't understand what fascism is. Indeed the century long top down cultural imposition of the Irish language as part of our nationalist viewpoint meets the criteria more closely, but it would still be in the realm of hysterics.

Irish has been in decline in an east to west direction since the 1700's, the Famine certainly did it no favours, but after the foundation of the state where it got support and encouragement it continued to fall percipitously and London wasn't involved any more. Now it seems to have reached a state of somewhat self supporting equilibrium as a minority language of Ireland and fair enough, but the vast majority of Irish people have spoken and did so as Bearla. English is now the de facto operating and let's face it "native" language of Ireland and the Irish people, no force required anymore and the numbers of people who have less facility in English compared to Irish is a very very small number indeed. That's the reality I'm afraid. Now I do support Irish language services for those who choose to speak the language, or choose to set up Irish language schools, but it is a choice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks for the opinion.

Now, hows about some evidence to back the opinion up?

the century long top down cultural imposition of the Irish language

You see, this is where the problem lies with your outlook - unless you consider every decision by government to be a top down imposition.

The Government makes lots of choices, and we don't have to agree with them - but when a government is voted in and makes a policy, we all have to lap it up, like it or not. This doesn't make it top down imposition in the sense most people understand the term.

Back in 2011, the FG party wanted to make Irish optional after the Junior Cert - and although they got lots of votes and way more seats than anyone else, they didn't get enough to implement that policy.

So go away with your top down imposition; what we have is very definitely there by popular demand, or at least with general support.

Today I learned all classes and club activities are state services.

A school in Kerry has changed from teaching through English to teaching through Irish.

Admittedly, the school was in danger of closing down due to small pupil numbers, and it is in the Education Minister's constituency, which might have helped in some small way.

Still, the rebranding has brought numbers up from 10 last year to twenty this year, so the demand was obviously not being met in the area.

• Advertisement

No, but you glibly told the poster to go off and do whatever it is themselves. Things which receive huge state subsidies when provided through English.

And BTW, many "privately provided" services in English are also paid for by the State, BTW.

Then presumably the poster could also avail of this funding. But the poster would still have to go out and do it, just like everyone else who wants something that isn't available.

Irish speakers are just going to have to accept that when you want to speak the 3rd or 4th most common language in the country, cupla focail aside, you're going to have put the effort in to gather and do things yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At some point you have to stand back and say that "you need x hours to be fluent" is a bit of a moot point. The hours have to be quality and the student has to be willing. If those situations aren't being met, 2500 or 5000 hours doesn't really matter. As you say yourself in the post following the one quoted above "many primary teachers are very poor at Irish". So at this point the problem changes.

Regarding the census forms - I thought they were English one side Irish on the other...? If not, I'd support them being such.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

In fairness, there doesn't need to be. Just have one or two available and let them deal with the people who wish to conduct their business in Irish. Yes, it can happen that there will be times when none are available at certain times, at which point either reschedule the appointment, wait, or conduct in English.

• Advertisement

Matters pertaining to 'creeping prominence of the Irish language'... can you not read the referenced article?

If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does far more of a percentage of our population would be able to speak it and speak it fluently. They don't. If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does we wouldn't have seen the continuous even accelerated drop off in its usage amomg Irish people throughout the 20th century. Yet we did. If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does then how did FG get "lots of votes and way more seats than anyone else"? Though the language was almost certainly low down that list as the afterthought it generally is in the Irish psyche.

As I said earlier we have an odd and often contradictory attitude to the language. On the one hand we might say it would be a shame to lose it, on the other a small minority actually use it as a language. The very reason for its existence. You do a straw poll on an Irish street and you'd almost certainly get a fair percentage saying isn't it great we have our native language, but try the same question on the same street as Gaelige and see how many can answer you. And "Ni thuigim an ceist" doesn't count. 😁

When the Irish nation was formed much of its planning, ethos and government policy was based off late 19th century revivalism and the language was a big part of that and the promotion of its use in education and the public service as an advantage was pretty much across the dail. While the electorate certainly voted for the different parties nobody voted for that in particular and that status quo has remained since. It was not a ground up vote from the electorate at any point ergo it was an imposition from the top down.

Culture is not an just expression of arts, its an expression of lifestyle, social behaviour either positive or negative right down to the way people do things.

...and that's a broad view. If we delve deeper, culture is passed on from generation to generation. There's a life-pulse in it which echoes through the ages, it is a means whereby one can connect to your origins, or 'your roots' as the Americans say 🙂. By delving deeper into culture it serves to broaden the mind. Sure, there are other cultures - and it's valuable to explore them - especially in an immersive sense. In doing so it is possible to appreciate the richness of the Irish culture. Irish language, as a means of expression enables one to see life through a different lens. Unfortunately, lack of appreciation due to poor experience with the language does not in itself make the language poor (far from it!) - only that one's view of things may be shaped through circumstance and limited experience to perceive it so.

Language is a tool, plain and simple

Well that view is plain .... and simple.

Language is more than a tool - it is an expression of nature, it holds a repository of information, it holds a unique way of perceiving the world, it's sounds are a means of expression, it a unique way of understanding others and oneself, one language feels different to another so there's a kind of life in it.

A shovel is a tool - a language can move more than a shovel ever could.

Your initial question was: "So if cultural areas of music, sport, poetry, dance, history, art, prose, Irish …don’t hold your interest. what does???"

You can be aware of the branches of cultural you list and still not really connect with them - even connect with aspects of other cultures more. This is nothing to do with poor experience - people just have different tastes and apprectiate different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The general population's attitude to Irish is like that of the dog in the manger of Aesop's Fable. They won't use it, but neither will they give it up. Faintly ridiculous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dog actively stopped everyone else from using it, did it not? The general population's attitude is to not stop anyone else from using it, bar a few overly zealous individuals. It's just perceived as that way because said zealous individuals get highlighted and their viewpoints disproportionately attributed.

None of that proves that there aren't enough Irish speakers - to provide services to Irish speakers. However, as we are able to find Polish speakers, Latvian speakers, Romanian speakers and a long list of others to provide us with services in English, I think it is foolish to point to that 1.7 million people and then say we don't have enough Irish speakers to provide services in Irish. By all means, say that we don't have enough trained Irish speakers in all the various fields at present - but that statement then leaves open the possibility of training people to provide those services.

For instance, as I understand it, there are something over 50,000 people living in the Faroe Islands - do you think that they are unable to provide services in Faroese to the population of the archipelago?

Now I expect that you'll come back with something along the lines of "But ... but ... Irish/Ireland ... is different ... because" and will finish up with some inane non-reason as to why it is impossible.

But we all know that the only reason that it is impossible is because the country is organised in such a way as to make it impossible. For the last 100 years, we have been trying to tack Irish onto a system that functions through English. By this stage most people realise that this doesn't work, but there are no imaginative proposals as to how the system could be changed, ie organised differently, in such a way as to make what is possible elsewhere possible here.

And in the meantime, would you advise us to refuse to pay taxes for services that aren't being provided to us?

• Advertisement
Advertisement