Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross was unreal yesterday, there was about 700 lots of cattle in it. Fr cattle in the 450 Kg bracket were €750 - €800. Nearly the last cattle sold were a pair of black Lm stores 400 kgs - €1,170, they were 1 good & 1 average. Heavy cattle in the 700 kg + bracket were making €1700 - €1800 freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's some price.. Wish Brandon was near me!.. If I dealer bought them he'd make close to 100e bringing them to the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Duke might confirm this but i'm guessing that there's a high chance that these are off of "high ebi" bulls and cows. I.e small framed, light boned cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At that price I would not worry. If they are and are hitting 400kgs they be good cattle under 30 months. You might have a good level of finish on them U30 months and if 60% grade O- or better you will do well with them 100 euro is 25-27 kgs DW on Friesians. Those small framed FR can grade well at 320-330 kgs DW.

Had one about three weeks ago nearly didn't send him in. But what ever way I glanced at him sorting the cattle, I taught '' you will grade O-''. His birthday was a few days after. He was the second lightest bullock in a bunch that I bought for 490 euro last days of August 2020 . The bunch was 330 kgs average. They didn't weight in the mart.

He killed just shy of 330 kgs and made just shy of 1300. I killing a companion of his tomorrow he 360 ish kgs DW I think and he should grade as well. When I say companion they were in the same bunch different farms.

Profit on any animal is decided on by the purchase price not the quality. It never pays to breed a poor one it often pays to buy a poor one.

The Bass Reeve's school of economics

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Look a Bandon fr is tall but definitely has a better shoulder than a fermoy or Killmallock one. Theres very little British breeding down here.

I stuck up a photo on another thread of 2 heifers I bought . Eby X firoda freisan which was from deep into west cork.

• Advertisement

For all the talk there is virtually no British breeding anywhere now. If you are in the ICBF us go through your herd and all Fr's are 70%+ HO, if less than that its JE, NZ, Norweigen etc breeding. If you look through your Beef crosses the 50% dairy part works out much he same.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sent an aged he bull and a couple high scc cows to the factory today

Bull ko at 629 kgs dw u- 3-

What sort of money should he come into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was quoted 4.20 for bullocks this evening... Anyone get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

What do you think of newford farm heifer performance which was published during the week on the journal? Heifers only done .77kg per day on their second grazing season and that was after €70 of meal. All bullocks here so wouldn’t be up on heifers but I’d have thought they should have done better than that?

Were they over done during the winter?

As well they are Continental heifers. There may be too much of an obsession with daily growth rates especially during the winter. 70 euro indicates 250 kgs+ of ration over the summer which is 80-90 days at 3 kgs per day.

For Suckler bred cattle this is not a great result.it also show the craziness of suckler's when you see the way these preform. The majority of suckker bred cattle are middle of the road. The more you subisidize these cattle the more lads produce them.

The other thing is this obession with now trying to finish cattle at the end of the second grazing season. This is funnelling finished cattle into what is normally a glutted market anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

And these are middle of the road at best. Crazy carry on too walking them all into a yard every day to meal them. What beef farmer would be at that. If they are doing the same with the bullocks they might as well bring a herd of cows in and milk them for the time it would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Can a farmer send a cow to the factory if gone past herd t.b test date?? Thanks for replies

Yes if the herd is in test. If the herd is not in test you cannot send anything to the factory strictly speaking. There may be exception's for stock bulls gone dangerous.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

My t.b test date is out first week of November. If I don't do my tb test till early December your saying I can't send a cow to the factory last week of November??

Correct. There is virtually no advantage in delaying a TB test as it's now 12 months from the date of your last test unless you do it before your own lapses

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If your round (annual) test is due in the first week of November and you don't test your herd will be automatically restricted until you get a clear test. You cannot buy in, sell or slaughter stock if your herd is restricted unless you get a permit from your local DVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

Bring finishing cattle into yard here, farming heavy clay, ground would be in muck around troughs in couple of days ( dangerous as you'd get stuck in it trying to feed them ) Also their used to coming in the day you want to draft out a few for factory. takes only as long as they eat feed.

No your herd has to be in test. Cattle can be out of test and be slaughtered from a herd that is in test. But you cannot slaughter from a herd that is not in test unless you get a permit from the DVO, they will give that for unusual circumstances. Even the if you do processor's may not take the animals.

Slava Ukrainii

You’re wrong. If you have your cards no factory is going to turn you away

• Advertisement

Cattle cannot move into or out of a restricted herd without a DVO permit even for slaughter.

Says who? You and Bass Reeves!!

Herds that are restricted with TB can move cattle direct for slaughter without a permit. This has been the case since 2013. Prior to that all cards were taken from the herd owner if he had a reactor and a permit was needed to kill cattle from reactor herds. Since then the herd owner retains his cards except for the reactor animal(s) , and can present them for slaughter without a permit. Lads ye can believe me or ye can ring the dept in the morning and ask them.

Cattle cannot move into or out of a restricted herd without a DVO permit other than for slaughter.

Apparently cattle cannot be exported to Northern Ireland even for slaughter from restricted herds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

You my friend have totally mis read the question 😂🤣😂 the two are right your right in what you have explained but not right in what the poster originally asked about

Degetme asked could he kill a cow in the end of November even though his herd would be out of test. It’s post #1119. Check it out. He can kill away no bother , ask the Department, ask the factory , ask me just don’t ask the pair of experts Bass Reeves and Base Price

Well I got that wrong and apologies. I didn't know that the rules had changed in 2013 where animals from restricted herds can go direct to slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

My understanding is you can bring stock direct for slaughter, even if your herd is out of test, without the need for a permit from the d.v.o

That's what I believe to be the case.I may be wrong. Will someone ring the Department for clarity on this.it's the only sure way of knowing now there's differing believes on it.

Just to get thread back on track

€4:20 base price for in spec heifers in liffey meats bjd this coming week.anyone getting more there or anywhere else?

Herds that are out of test are restricted, full stop. You also stated any factory will take them not true. Factories will not take cattle that are out of test. Technically cattle in herds that failed a test are in test, they are just restricted in what they can do. They cannot buy in or sell in the mart but they can slaughter. Some feedlot herds are always like this they are certain feedlot herds that do this. Some can even buy cattle from restricted herds

Herds that are out of test are a different matter. They are restricted from buying in, selling out or slaughtering without premission from the DVO. The DVO will only give permission for certain occasions such as a dangerous bull. However they are not inclined to give these premissions easily, because they want herds tested within the 12 months. There is little advantage in delaying your test. Previously if you delayed a test you new test was 12 months from the test date. Now if you delay beyond the 12 months your test is still from you historical test date similar to an NCT.

In the case of the question that was asked

And the answer for s no he cannot without the DVO's premission. As well processor's will pay a reduced price for such cattle as they are not QA and outside market specification for some some markets.

Slava Ukrainii

You’re wrong and you’re not even consistent. Your second sentence in post #1124 “Cattle can be out of test and be slaughtered from a herd that is in test. “

Third sentence in post #1133 “Factories will not take cattle that are out of test” Which is it?

Ring the factory in the morning and listen to what they say

• Advertisement

If your herd is in test but an individual animal ( that was bought in since you last test and was in test when purchased) is not in test you can slaughter that animals. Depending on the amount of cattle that are out of test in your herd at the time restrictions may apply. The most common restriction is that you cannot sell in a mart.

When your herd is out of test it is totally restricted unless the DVO give you permission to move cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement