Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Indian Style Curry

Options
  • 17-10-2021 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Looking for some feedback in relation to a curry i have been trying to recreate from memory

Beef      1 Kg

Garlic Powder 1/2 Tsp

Ginger Powder 1/2 Tsp

Turmeric   1/2 Tsp + 1/4 Tsp

Coriander    1 Tbsp +  1 Tsp

Garam Masala  1 Tbsp +  2 Tsp

Chili Powder  1 Tsp + 1/2 Tsp

Mustard Seeds  1 Tsp

Salt      1 Tsp

Bay Leaves   x2

Cinnamon Stick x1

Coconut Milk  400mls

Tomato Puree  1-2Tbsp

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

stay away from Tomato Puree as far as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If it's heat you're after, I would be going with fresh ginger and garlic over the powered type.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DaveQuinn2020

I would recommend using fresh ingredients where possible. Fresh Garlic, Ginger, Chopped Tomatoes and Chillis, rather than the powders and puree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would use fresh garlic and ginger as others said. Also fresh chillies are better than powder. If you are near an Asian store buy a bag of birds eye chillis, they are tiny but pack very good heat. They need to be deseeded unless you can tolerate high heats but with the seeds out there is a lovely kick to them without burning the mouth off yourself. Wash your hands well after chopping them. I always keep a bag of them in the freezer and then take out 8 of them out (for 2 meals) to defrost about 30 minutes before cooking a curry or stir fry.

With the coconut milk be sure to buy the full fat version for a rich decadent curry, the low fat stuff can be watery.

Also cumin seeds bashed up in a pestle and mortar will add heat as well. If not then cumin powder is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement