Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gen Z will never work a day in their lives.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They will live in a different world that is for sure, but why it should be anymore difficult I don't know... There is a big demand for content on the internet and as the population grows older and less active, expect the demand for content will grow. So being in the content provision industry is not a bad thing, but like every other business you have to work at it.

I know the working habits of one guy that promotes IOT type stuff and earns commissions and patreon contributions for doing so. He makes about 8k a month from it. But he puts about 60+ hours a week into doing it. He is up about 05:00am and starts work at around 06:00am and usually does not finish until well into the evening, but which time it is time to hit the bed again. It's a job like any other and not easy money, if you want to make a living out of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"...Twitter...."

There's your problem, right there OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

And I'm of a generation that has no idea what gen z or any other generation of the alphabet are.

Has it anything to do with Zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Us humans were basically doing the same things the same ways for thousands of years until the 1850's. With the advent of fossil fuels/steam/railroads and overall industrial revolution. Things began to change rapidly from one generation to another's. But that rapid change has accelerated almost beyond comprehension in the last 20 years.

The changes are usually for the worse aswell. Most if not all changes from the 1850's on were bad for the planet. And thus bad for us.

We must go 'backwards' now to go forwards.

End of fossil fuels/agri industrialisation/consumption capitalism and hopefully tech industry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was indeed, but was seen as a little lesser because pay was on average below the private sector and it was seen as an "easy" option. It'e much higher on the scale these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I know.. my parents and sister all were teachers. Whereas my brother and I entered business because there wasn't the cap/ceiling for salaries. All the same, over 30/40 years, I'd say that public servants come out on top especially when pensions are taken into consideration. In addition, the job security is very nice.. from my own experience, I've worked at two companies that closed down leaving their employees with little, and a few others who were iffy with contract renewals, especially as time went by and fixed term contracts became more popular for employers.

Once Ireland entered the mid-80s, then most public service jobs, such as teaching, were pure gold (although prior to that they weren't particularly good). Still there were other public service jobs which were very good. I knew a few guys who worked for Bord na Mona, who were raking in the money, and benefits (including housing) for a long time.

Still... nothing is without costs or limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Uhm, wouldn't that be August 2nd rather than Feb 8th?

And in other news... TIL I share a birthday with Hans Moleman... 🤣

Do the kids actually ever make any money from the aul cashapps or whatever?

Apart from the young wans showing their arse cheeks, like

If theres a new problem with the youngsters its that their opinions are stored and shared publicly and that somehow this has created in some people- across all age groups- an expectation that this means they are any more important than the opinions of the young ever were

They might feel theyve been handed a worse world than any generation before, theres a strong element of ego in any such outlook in my own opinion but if they want to pretend what came before them was both this awful horrid world full of toxic behaviour and simultaneously this utopia of opportunity and wealth they can resolve that for themselves

In real life most of the younger people i meet and work with at perfectly fine, well adjusted individuals- maybe thats a self selecting group because i meet them while they are working- probably the noisier ones on the various platforms would be too busy raising awareness to make me a coffee or whatever

When I think of the way my dad bought a house in south Dublin in the early '70s, and he didn't even have a permanent job! After a few contracts he then got a permanent public sector job. My mother was able to be a stay at home mum without being broke due to only one income coming in. But she was a nurse and wanted to earn her own money too. As we got older she took temporary gigs and then got a permanent part-time job when we were teenagers. To me, that seems like an ideal balance. Working full-time while also raising children seems a nightmare. I can't begin to fathom the stress and exhaustion. And the cost of childcare! But that's the way things are now.

Buying a home and raising a family should not be financially drastic. Although the other side of it is that there is much more consumerism now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,167 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think distance from the subject of being young means they're out of touch with how things have changed. That leaves them wide open to the classic idea that "far away hills are greener".

An older person might see young people on their phones and think thst young people have is easy. Shur, there's no bullying anymore so they're all gone soft, and all they do is play on their phones. How would the older person know that young people are being bullied asunder online now and that the bullying doesnt stop when they get home in the evening? It's much less visible to an outside observer, but young people face challenges that older people don't understand so they presume they don't exist and young people are just soft/stupid/lazy or whatever.

The less some people know about something the more confident they are making sweeping pronouncements on it. Its a pity but that's just one of the tricks that age plays on people.

• Advertisement

you might want to look at how people lived in 1840, particularly in Ireland, before promoting de-industrialisation back to pre 1850s levels.

Also technology has clearly slowed in the last 20 years.

Sure, but the same trick is being played on people in their teens and twenties who think the world is a simple place if they could only run it to suit themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,551 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I always find the generalisations about each generation a media driven concept. There is no nuance in it.

People are people, and some of the youth always irritate the older generations. Others see hope for the future and find the youth bring hope.

If you look at this clip from the 1960's where elderly people comment on their lives in Australia.

It does not seem much different from the issues the elderly have today.

If you look at this collection of commentary from the elderly, in the USA in 1929.

Again, I think it just shows that people are people.

All this attempt to put any generation in one label is wrong, in my opinion. And it is divisive as well.

Everyone ends up the same in the end. People, are people. And each person is their own individual, not dependant on a blanket largely (media fed view) of one particular generation.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Kids these days, with their wirelesses and their gramophones and the girls showing off their ankles. When I was a child, the only time we came out of the coal mine was to fight the Kaiser. We're going to hell on an handcart. Not that we could afford a handcart. Didn't even have pockets back then. My mother had to carry the rocks we ate in her bear hands. And I mean "bear" hands. She had them chopped off when she was six to feed her family, and then had to fight a bear to get replacements. But you never heard her complaining.

Your parents thought you and your generation would turn out to be a disaster too. Same with their parents. And their parents. And so on...

It's funny how every generation thinks that they're the first to encounter the fact that the next generation does things a little differently to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As mentioned above, each generation believes that the next generation is a bunch of softies/layabouts that don't know how to work a day in their lives unlike them (Previous generation). Who want everything handed to them on a plate.

"Oh you don't know what it's like having to walk 25 miles to school with turf so you could heat the school (Which was a bush)". "I was beat round the classroom every day and it did me good". "I used to have to work for 28 hours a day before going to work and there was 19 of us in one room house". Will kids have to deal with as many potentially abusive people in authority (Teachers, etc)? Probably not. Will they be physically beaten up by school bullies as previous generations? Probably not. Will they experience more widespread and persistent emotional bullying (More impactful IMHO) via social media? Absolutely. Will they be placed under constant and invasive scrutiny forever going forward? 100%. Some of this is their own fault: Cancel culture IS lazy and narrowminded.

I mean, I even catch myself doing the old man thing from time to time - rolling my eyes at some hipster - and then I tell myself to cop myself on. Who are they hurting? Not me.

Sticking to Twitter as the focus of today's "next-gen-wasters" thread simply as this was specifically brought up: Look at the demographic of the people posting about their "avocado toast/spendy lifestyle". For one thing, that is such a lazy clichè: "Oh if they didn't spend so much money on their avocado toast and skinny jeans and beard moisturizer they could afford a house". But, let's say, simply for argument sake, that all the clichès are true. Look at the demographic: Mainly people in their early/mid 20's. Man, when I was the same age, we were in the pub most nights and certainly hitting the boozer from 7PM until the wee-hours each weekend. Spending a fortune on booze. Hitting Manhattan for food after leaving Coppers or wherever. I didn't have a holiday abroad until about 27 but that was just me for very specific reasons, but everyone else would go on a mad one each summer.

I just thank God there was no Social Media then!!!!! We would have been MUCH worse than today's generation. Except it would have been just p1$$up pictures.

So yeah, the 2nd post was this but more concise :) The next generation WILL work just as hard, albeit in potentially different ways. They will pay taxes, they will settle down and not spend more time instagramming their coffee instead of drinking it, they will buy houses if they can afford them, they will have kids and then b1tch about THEM being good-for-nothings. In the meantime, let them have their fun. Realise they are a different generation and remember grandpa Simpson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's the thing. While I know there can be cantankerous auld feckers, it's not always the case that "young = correct, older = wrong". I dislike when the older person's view gets dismissed just because they are not young. I mean, the younger person will often be wrong - that's the nature of being young! It's about naivety, lack of experience, idealism, making mistakes and learning from them.

And middle-aged folk trying to look like they're down with the kids by dismissing their own generation can be as cringey as the cantankerous ones.

Plus they don't 'get' the language of the newer generation. I am reaching that stage myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They wouldn't work in a convulsion Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Young people are routinely disrespected by those in power and authority - often middle aged slobs who have convinced themselves that their "success" is solely due to their intelligence and hard work. LOL. The same w*nkers also have bad attitudes to the elderly IME.

Nothing new, I well remember when I was a student in the 90s we were patronised and treated as "harmless" by "adults" even though we were also adults. Now there young man - you've got a lot to learn, suck it up. Just get a job! 20+ years later, some of the same people who were annoyed by that at the time have now become that which they hated.

One of the most frequent insulting statements made by boomer managers about good staff in my previous job was demeaning the person's work along the lines of "Jeez, a little inter cert student or monkey could do that work". I think that is telling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe Alberta, I'm not so sure. I'd reckon it's more to do with how people tend to mature. In the sense of trying on different "hats" in adolescence, coming up with one that fits adulthood and fits the peer group they're in and settling into that "mature" hat over time. If and when they have their own kids they have to become more constrained in many ways because of the protective role. The stresses of adulthood can also force people into a rut of the safety of routine. This can mean things outside of that routine bubble can come across as loud noises, even threats to the hat they wear. Add in nostalgia for their youth that appears a lot sunnier than it was in the remembering and some loss in brain plasticity as people age and parameters start to narrow. I have found as a general thing that men tend to be much more likely to settle into a pattern of life that they stick to and are more rigid about it. They don't get a second wind in the way women often do after menopuse when a different life opens up. Old women can certainly yell at clouds, but in my experience anyway less than old men do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I found this great quote by Socrates (born c470 BC) -

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's a pity the Amish and the Taliban don't use the internet for idle entertainment, otherwise you'd get a lot more Thanks for this viewpoint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the technology one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

I thought that was way too perfect to be a genuine quote, so I did some research and sadly it isn't. It is still well over 100 years old though, with the first recorded publishing in 1907. So the sentiment still stands 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Interesting

Misinformation was around before Facebook

Quelle Suprise

Bog all difference between 2001 and 2021. Compared to say 1925-1945, 1945-1965 (especially), and 1965-1985

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nonsense. Smartphones weren't around in 2001 and the change they've effected is immense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rocks. Oh how I used lay awake at night dreaming of having rocks to eat

Advertisement