Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

People are more comfortable around injections/treatments that have been around a long time - it's just human nature. There are loads of people reluctant to get this one, and trying to coerce them into it does not work. If anything I suspect it's counter-productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Are we allowed ask what your reason is? No obligation to reply obviously but would like to try to understand it.

To be candid, save where there's a good reason (eg. an objectively justified medical reason not to get the vaccine) I'm of the Jurgen Klopp view. Not getting vaccinated would be fine if the decision only affected the decision maker. But it doesn't. It affects the person(s) you become more likely to infect, the health worker who has to to deal with disproportionate amounts of unvaccinated persons who test positive, the outpatient whose procedure is delayed because the hospital is too busy - to which you again contribute disproportionately, the businesses that are impeded by the additional covid measures your decision necessitates, and so forth. Jurgen used the driving after a few drinks analogy and he is right. It's not just you that you are endangering (fine if it was), it's everyone else too. And before anyone says the obvious, I speak on a macro level - of course the increaded risk per person is quite small (eg., to continue with the analogy, most drink drivers don't crash) but over a large amount of people (370,000 we are told), the increased risk is significant, (eg. If you have 370,000 people drink driving there will inevitably be a large amount of accidents).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I had a quick look at the RTE News website to see the full blown frenzy. Couldn't find anything remotely frenzy-ish, nevermind full blown.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eileen Dunne will never retire her Stay Safe sign off now. We gotta keep the misery going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A bit like the president calling in this morning to discuss the death of two poet's? Line actually died also,

I'm no fan of RTE, they are all over the place on this topic but as others have said, if this was 2019 a school closing because of any health related matter would be reported on. The principal also clearly stated she has no medical expertise.

As an aside, RTE also reporting Colin Powell has just died ( dare I mention the cause) RIP

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah no mention of his lying to the UN about weapons in Iraq. His main legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Well there's a significant cohort that wont listen to reason or facts either. 6 Billion vaccines given worldwide, thankfully there's a lot of people with common sense in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In fairness it was a quick breaking news item.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Whatever about what and how the Government has reacted, I would also argue that the media has a **** tonne to answer for.

They've done their fair share of damage too and scaremongering.

They have not in any way questioned those of authority, never once raised questions as to why people who don't have any authority are tweeting things which are contrary to Government advice etc etc.

They have lapped up everything, not once showed any courage to ask the important questions or push politicians and those in the health service to back up their claims (July's we are all going to die statements from nphet), instead they've pushed and rammed down the populations throats how crap everything is and we need to be careful non-stop for the rest of eternity.

And they get millions from us for this every year, it's a fuckin joke. Absolutely spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is really an argument for people who agree with him and you. Like Klopp, you clearly have no idea why these people don't want to get vaccinated. I don't either BTW. Some of them may not be in a position to be vaccinated, through their own physical conditions. Within that group of 370,000, you have 70,000 with one shot and some may have had such adverse reactions to the first vaccination that they were advised not to get a second one.

For now a lot of this data seems to be unknown but it doesn't stop people opening both barrels on a group who have made their own personal choice, even if it’s one that really annoys a lot of people.  I take the view now we've had 93%, which is very impressive, rather than focus on the 7% that we may never see vaccinated. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh dear...."some of YOU PEOPLE ".......untermenschen perhaps ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I appreciate and understand your views regarding the decision of those who chose not to get a covid-19 vaccination. You're entitled to them.

But are these indoor dining restrictions to be justified on some moral/punitive basis? I don't think any exists that isn't extremely threatening on a wider but fundamental front.

Is it a practical/tangible benefit basis? Surely common sense tells us that retaining this measure will not have a sufficient impact on the spread of the disease to justify it.

Is it that by restricting access to participation in society we will coerce them to get vaccinated? Then we are back to the moral issue. Further, it's being attempted by the backdoor as opposed to in plain sight by passing mandatory vaccination laws, which (and I could be wrong about this), I don't believe would attract general support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Terryfiying it may well be,however it serves to underline just how easy it is to mould & direct the responses of previously normal,intelligent contributors to functional society and turn them into a monitor and judge of other lesser mortals who do not fit their mould.

Sadly,this die is now long cast,particularly in Western Europe.

The hoary old notion of the "rebellious Irish" has been well & truly laid to rest by the Covid-19 EMERGENCY.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Can you show where the conspiracy theory is? You suggested a misread of developers intentions - I contend it’s very possible the intent was very possibly to provide for a replacement of the old vaccine passport system. So, maybe not a misread or a lack of understanding of the development process?

’What governments do with it is separate’ - yes, pretty much what I said?

I'm sorry, I have to ask, genuinely what do you think the motivations of NPHET/the Government/senior medics are? Do you think Tony Holohan has a nefarious reason for the introduction of Covid certs or the Covid restrictions? Same as Leo/Michael?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Planning on heading to his next week and please lord it will go ahead. If it means masks til your sitting down and covid certs so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not sure if you're following what I am saying or not... I'm certainly finding it hard to follow you...

Do you want vaccine passes gone or our nightlife industry back to normal?

Their motivation is just not relevant.

A civil authority should not be allowed do anything it wants as long as there was no evidence of conspiracy/nefarious intent. It could just be the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I know what you mean, hoping to get to some games in Landsdowne Road over November... Showing a cert isn't a massive issue if I can do that

• Advertisement

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but the idea that retaining the covid cert thing is a legitimate way to ensure events can proceed in the future is just guff. There's no cause and effect here.

For whatever reason, the State/authorities or whatever you prefer to call them is very keen to retain this measure, and it is actively holding out the prospect of wider restrictions being retained as an alternative to retaining "just this one". The assessment made has been, probably correctly, that the majority of the vaccinated will not put up a fight on it as it doesn't directly impact them. So the promise is held out, if we just keep this cert thing (which doesn't affect you anyway) you can go to your concerts, matches, other events - nothing to see here, no problems at all right?

Ultimately, people will not only express relief moving toward gratitude that this might be the only restriction retained but they will actively come up with their own reasons why it should be enforced.

Engendering and mobilising this acrimony and dislike of other people in society who have done no more than exercise a legitimate choice involving the very fundamentals of what they want to have injected into their bodies is very undesirable.

Not to mention that, as I keep saying, there is no actual, practical justification for this measure.

The wrong thing to do, putting measures in place to protect the public health?! Do you agree with seatbelts? Seat belts were highly resisted until they were enforced!

And what you suspect to be their motivation is highly relevant to this discussion as it allows me to see your mindset. It allows me to form a subjective opinion as to whether your arguments are stated in reasonable fact or outlandish. Given that some people are comparing these measures to the Holocaust, I dont think that's too much of a jump.

How many of us here took the vaccines for the pure incentive of been able to travel and use indoor hospitality

I took it for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yes the vaccine has allowed life to move towards normal.

Now please let them announce the rest of normal. A few proper nights out are needed starting next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

No I took it because it reduces risk of serious illness or death

Blues beating Bohs in Dalyer would be the perfect start

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

"The hoary old notion of the "rebellious Irish" has been well & truly laid to rest by the Covid-19 EMERGENCY."

Absolutely. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on we have proven again and again that we are weak as pi## and do what we're told. Italian's out on the street protesting whilst we're bending over once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I took it for travel, I haven’t used indoor hospitality. Not getting a booster so I guess my travelling days might be limited in the future.

How am I supposed to prove their motivation? How would my ability to explain their motivation change whether this is a legitimate act by the State or not? How would your subjective opinion matter to the objective question of whether there should be covid passes for indoor dining? I'm willing to accept that they are acting with the best of intentions. Who cares? They are as likely to be right or wrong regardless of intention. This is a side-show. The approach of demanding proof of the nefarious/conspiracy is also a step along the road to classifying moderate people such as myself as extremists/fringe elements/conspiracy theorists/loonies. No proof of a conspiracy = if you're against it you're a conspiracy theorist.

You say "other people are comparing these measures to the Holocaust". So what? I am not. But lets talk about comparisions if you wish.

Seatbelts have a huge practical benefit, as you are well aware, and requiring their use involves no meaningful encroachment on civil rights.

Certainly nothing that stands comparison to preventing the exercise of the right to attend a lawful event, associate with other people etc. The penalty for non-use of seatbelt = a fine and penalty points.

No one has been able to set out what the comparable practicable benefit of retaining the covid pass thing would be. Everyone appears to accept that it will not meaningfully reduce the spread of disease. Further you are far more likely to get infected by a vaccinated person (that's just statistics). To the extent that the "disproportionate burden" line is trotted out (enticing as it is on a superficial level) that has never been the basis for restricting participation in society before, and rightly so.

To the extent that outlandish comparisons are being made, the comparison between the law on seatbelts and the requirement to hold a covid pass to attend a lawful event is entirely outlandish.

(ps yes if you get too many penalty points on the road your licence to drive is suspended. Driving is, in law, a privilege and not a right. Further, you're not suggesting there should be a similar approach taken to covid passes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

This is the second time you have mentioned seat-belts today.

The proper analogy for this; would be manufacturers not putting seat belts in a car being sold to someone unvaccinated. Or not selling to them at all.

Advertisement