Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Regarding children, where is the evidence for this? Going by the UK who seem to be coming out of their Delta wave, this isn't the case at all. I mean there was always a very (very) small chance that children could become seriously ill with any strain, but it seems like they are saying it is worse with delta. Any actual data to support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You characterised what he said as "Icelands chief epidemiologist has said the way to herd immunity is through infections, not vaccinations."

You added "not vaccinations" yourself when it was clear that vaccinations and even boosters are a major part of the strategy proposed.

The poster who called you out on it was very clear about what you were lying about so I don't understand why you would claim that it was about something else now.

Because he said literally :

"Þórólfur Guðnason said in Sprengisandur in Bylgjan this morning that it is disappointing that herd immunity has not been achieved with vaccination. He says that only one other way is able to achieve herd immunity, to allow the virus to spread throughout the community"

And

"It is not a priority now to vaccinate everyone with the third dose, as we also need to think: Maybe we should get a new variant? Do we need to be vaccinated with another vaccine? ”He says. Þórólfur says that the fight against the virus will be characterized by such uncertainty.

Will not propose hard action "We need to somehow navigate this way, and we are now in this, not to get too many serious illnesses so that the hospital system does not collapse, but still try to achieve this herd immunity by letting the virus somehow run."

I already said - I should have said "not solely vaccinations" but my point still stands. I didn't lie.. However, just let that one thing you can pick on invalidate the guys whole statement why don't you..

Edit: ps been here for more than 10 years, just waiting for my "anti vaxx" moment, woo-hoo! (despite being a fully vaxxed person and my kid too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

While Icelandic epidemiologist may be saying the way to achieve herd immunity is to allow the virus to spread throughout the community, I'm sure he'd also agree that that is only an option once vaccinations have reached a certain level which will avoid over-running hospitals and huge numbers of unnecessary deaths which would happen without the vaccines. Vaccines work with the herd immunity through community spread strategy, not against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

"The epidemiologist believes that it is now necessary to try to achieve herd immunity to the coronary virus by letting it continue, but to try to prevent serious illness by protecting vulnerable groups"

A very awkward sentence in that it is practically word for word what Tegnell claimed he was attempting but finally had to admit it was immoral.The reason why it is immoral is now even more obvious than when Tegnell conceded it.

This epidemiologist appears to be unaware that the herd immunity level he is talking about is the same percentage for the total population either through vaccination or infection. Vaccination greatly reduces the risk of serious illness or death should you become infected. Now that we know this, to do what he is proposing, when Iceland has not vaccinated all who are willing to avail of the vaccines, would be immoral as it would be in violation of the medical principle to do no harm by knowingly allowing people to become infected to a higher risk of serious illness or death.

Tbh, other than him just seeking a bit of publicity or him being all over the place, I cannot see what his point is. He talks about herd immunity, which Iceland looks highly likely of achieving through vaccination anyway, and then "the goal cannot be to eradicate the virus from society" . From that it appears he either does not know what the principle of herd immunity is, or he is proposing a hybrid system of vaccination and natural infection to achieve zero Covid when he has said zero Covid is not achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What do I know? I only quoted a news article. Not looking for an argument, tired of it. You apparently know more than anyone else.

You posted an article you felt had some relevance. I wasn`t arguing with you, or even implying that I knew more than anyone else.

Just remarking out that I felt there was some very woolly thinking and contradictions as reported in that article as having been said by that epidemiologist. Seems the epidemiologist feels the same as I see from another post here he now says he was misquoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

This

He talks about herd immunity, which Iceland looks highly likely of achieving through vaccination anyway

My understanding is that vaccination lessens the potential for hospitalisations. Actual infection gives much higher protection according to Israel.

So vaccinated people can contract covid19, get mildly ill from it and pass it on. This surely means the vaccine does not infer heard immunity but rather reduce the level of hospitalisations to a manageable level.

Herd immunity is not about achieving zero Covid. Zero Covid will not be achieved by either vaccination or naturally acquired immunity through contacting the virus, as in both cases there have been re-infections. It is the principle of having a high percentage of the population immunised from infection to protect those that cannot become so due to them either by age or medically being immunocompromised.

The vaccines were never promised as sterilizing vaccines that would 100% prevent those vaccinated from becoming infected or infecting others, although when developed against the the then know variants they had a very high efficacy rating for doing so. That efficacy has dropped somewhat against the present Delta variant, but now from the easing of restrictions and the country opened up I would have thought, not only are the vaccines working by keeping the numbers of hospitalisations those in ICU and deaths low, it is obvious they are also keeping the numbers of infections low. None of which are possible with naturally acquired immunity.

That has been shown in Sweden, who like everywhere else is now reliant on vaccines to control this virus rather than achieving naturally acquired immunity. Even more-so than Sweden, both Amazonia and India, who both believed they had achieved naturally acquired herd immunity, have shown that in terms of deaths alone it is not a viable option.

• Advertisement

Children can spread the virus like anyone else. They are just not as susceptible to death or serious illness from the virus. There is no evidence that masks to not help to prevent the spread of the virus to others, Stands to reason as to how the virus is spread that they do.

Vaccines were never labelled as providing sterilizing immunity. No more than they were labelled as providing 100% guarantees against death and illness. Nobody expects the flu vaccine to provide any of those so how they were believed by some to do it for Covid I have no idea where they got that idea from Especially seeing as they were developed before this particular Delta s strain was even known.

It`s really immaterial now anyway as in Sweden, like everyone else, the only strategy to counter this virus is vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't think they were ever promoted (approved) as preventing transmission. That was something the UK discovered as an added benefit with the wild strain. Not so much with Delta though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Why are we discussing Iceland, this is about Sweden.

In news about Sweden: Sweden lifted their final COVID restrictions (Large events such as sports/music) around 2~3 weeks ago. FHM have said that lifting the restrictions have so far not caused any change in number of cases (https://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/fhm-slopade-restriktioner-%C3%B6kade-inte-smitta-1.57103033), Sweden is stable at around 2000 confirmed infections/week.

I am now residing in Sweden since a few weeks back and from what I've seen + what I've discussed with people, everyone has just been living normal life here (minus large events). When I tell people about the restrictions we had in Ireland they can't believe it. Death count was high in Sweden early on, which has been blamed on poor protection of nursing homes, we're now almost 2 years in to this pandemic and if you were to believe the anti-Sweden propaganda being spewed online you'd think that everyone here would be dead or sick by now - instead I'm in a country full of life, if it wasn't for the occasional "Be mindful of each other" signs you wouldn't even know there ever was a pandemic. After a few weeks here I regret I didn't fly over earlier, all that time spent in my apartment could have been spent living life.

Why not Iceland ? The title of this thread is Sewden avoiding lockdown so I cannot see how there could be a discussion on that without comparisons to other countries that did use lockdown, and the most obvious comparisons are Sweden`s neighbours.

It`s not as simple to explain away Sweden`s much higher deaths in comparison to those countries as just being due to care homes or the elderly percentage of it`s neighbours. The percentage of eldrly is the same for it`s direct neighbours Norway, Finland and Denmark where all three used lockdown. Care homes in Sweden, similar to Ireland and practically everywhere else, were poorly protected during the initial stages of this pandemic, but I do not see how no lockdowns would have improved on that.

Even if that neglect in safegaurding care homes was the cause of large numbers of deaths in Sweden initially, it does not explain subsequent large numbers of deaths much later in Sweden compared to the other three neighbouring countries. For the three months 1st. November 2020 until the 31st January 2021 Swden`s deaths were 6,234. The other three countries, with a combined population over 1.5 times greater for the same period had a total of 2,051 deaths. Over one and a half times the population of Sweden, yet less than one third of the deaths.

Nobody cares anymore Charlie.

By the many accounts I've read on this and other forums, people in Sweden are enjoying life a lot more than people in Ireland.

They proved that no lockdown doesn't result in bodies piling up in the streets. (Which most of us know anyways)

Meanwhile in Ireland, I still need to mask up and show papers to get a cup of tea.

It's also not completely fair to compare Sweden directly to Norway or Finland for instance, Sweden is way more urbanized with more people living in large apartment complexes (á la "miljonprogrammet").

A number worth noting is average age of death in Sweden in 2019 was 81.34 for men and 84.73 for women, and sure it did drop in 2020: to 80.6 for men and 84.29 for women (https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/sverige-i-siffror/manniskorna-i-sverige/medellivslangd-i-sverige/) which means that for men we went back to the number of 2016 and for women 2018 (see previous link).

If Sweden's strategy was so devastating you'd think, as Jacdaniel2014 mentions, that with no lockdown we'd expect dead bodies everywhere and misery.. Instead we have good mental health with a slight setback in average age of death (-0.5 years).

Every loss of life is a tragedy of course but so is every minute of a human life spent in lockdown for no good reason. The mental health toll is not to be ignored.

Problem is that any government who went with the lockdown route now has to save face: If the general population finds out that they were locked in to their homes for months for no reason, that's not a very good situation.

You have to question the decision to close down small business and lock people in to their home... Wouldn't it be better if the government promoted a healthy lifestyle (exercising, hiking, getting plenty of sun) rather than putting a 5km restriction in place. An approach damaging not only physical but also mental health.

Also at current pace some tightly locked down countries are bound to catch up with Sweden's death counts eventually with a fifth wave sweeping over them (but not Sweden).

You may not care, but I would imagine there are quite a few friends and relatives of loved one who died in Sweden care after seeing how their Nordic neighbours kept their deaths to a fraction of Sweden`s by using lockdown are wondering why the same strategy was not used rather than a failed attempt at an immoral experiment. Especially as their own king believes it a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm going through covid statistics out of boredom here, and I've noticed that Sweden has no new wave of cases like their neighbours have. Are they not testing/reporting or what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Sweden now has the lowest Covid infection rate in western Europe — after double-vaccinated nationals were told they don't have to test for the virus even if they get symptoms.

The Scandinavian nation — which was subject to international scrutiny last year when it refused to lockdown — is currently recording 85.4 cases per million people, according to Oxford University research site Our World in Data.

By comparison, the rate is nearly 1,400 per million in Europe's current Covid capital Austria, which today announced it is going back into a full lockdown from Monday.

Sweden's infection rate is far lower than other Western European countries like the Netherlands (1,048.7), Britain (581), Germany (536), and France (201)." https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/sweden-now-has-western-europe-s-lowest-covid-infection-rate/ar-AAQU25q

They are taking their revenge on Charlie. Sweden will have the last laugh.

Good article about Sweden here. Guess we'll have to see if they can keep it up

• Advertisement

Best of luck to them. Thankfully the local authorities took back control from Tegnell and company and gave up the crazy herd immunity strategy that has resulted in many multiple deaths of their neighbours and went with vaccines and are now giving boosters to their most vulnerable rather than previously sacrificing them in an immoral experiment. I see they are planning more booster shots for early next year, so that should also help.

The problem is not case numbers. It has never been. It`s the numbers that end up in hospital and ICU, and as other countries, similar to Ireland, are quickly recognising is that those numbers, especially in Austria, the Netherlands and Germany are being driven by the vastly disproportion of those unvaccinated relative to their percentage of the population.Nobody is going to strap them down and force them to take a vaccine. They can continue to preserve their "bodily integrity" without giving a care for anybody else, but like everything in life, decisions come with consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@99nsr125. wrote

Sweden's nordic neighbours held up in this thread as the golden child to bash Sweden with are in real trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How does it compare with it's Nordic neighbours.

When there is no present medical treatment available for a virus you mitigate to prevent the spread. Not encourage it as Tegnell & Co. did with their herd immunity strategy. If that is the strategy you favour then why not do the same for the Ebola virus which has a case fatality rate of 50%.

There are a few misconceptions with Sweden and lockdown. Swedish authorities did not introduce as strict a lockdown as some others, but if you dig a bit into the figures people imposed their own lockdowns. consumer spending fell to the same level as Denmark who did, and while they may like a few others attempted to disguise their unemployment figures by putting workers on furlough, the reality is the numbers unemployed were no better than practically anywhere else in Europe. Their GDP figures also show that. Thankfully in October when Tegnell was in denial of another wave already happening and looking to drop restrictions on care home visits, telling the vulnerable it was safe to mingle with the general public and increase numbers at public events the local authorities had enough, called a halt and put their own measures in place to finally begin to get control to reduce the numbers.

Vaccines greatly reduce the chances of severe illness or ICU care. Natural immunity does not. Neither is their any proof that natural immunity is lifelong. To the contrary, it wanes as well.

If people wish to hold up Sweden`s neighbours to bash them with, then it is not difficult to do. Sweden`s deaths are adjusted for population size 8 times greater than Norway, 3 times greater than Denmark and 6.5 times greater than Finland. When Sweden were following their herd immunity strategy for 2020 they had excess deaths of over 10%.

Austria, like many others in Europe, Ireland included, are seeing that the inability to provide life saving treatments and diagnostics are being driven by the pressures being put on their health systems by Covid-19. In particular by the vastly disproportionate numbers of unvaccinated occupying hospital and ICU beds. The unvaccinated at 10% of the population eligible for a vaccine are presently taking up 66% of ICU Covid beds and 25% of all ICU beds. Life saving transplant surgeries this week have had to be postponed due to that disproportion of unvaccinated taking up ICU beds due to their choices not to receive a perfectly safe and free vaccine.

Austria like everywhere else is getting sick and tired of people shouting about their bodily integrity, while they blatantly show the could care less if they tried about anybody else other than themselves. They can still refuse to get vaccinated, (mandatory vaccination is not a new concept, it`s been around as long as vaccines), but if there are consequences for doing that, then that is a free choice they made while knowing what the consequences would be. Nobody to blame for that other than themselves.

"Vaccines greatly reduce the chances of severe illness or ICU care. Natural immunity does not. Neither is their any proof that natural immunity is lifelong. To the contrary, it wanes as well."

Are there numbers available on that anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,604 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's being discussed on the main vaccine thread.

the [CDC] found that both infection-induced and vaccine-induced immunity are durable for at least six months — but that vaccines are more consistent in their protection and offer a huge boost in antibodies for people previously infected.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118199877/#Comment_118199877

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Apologies. That reads a bit confusing alright.

I mean that if you are vaccinated then the chances of you requiring hospital or ICU care are greatly reduced should you become infected. Unvaccinated and become infected, that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

"Vaccines greatly reduce the chances of severe illness or ICU care. Natural immunity does not. Neither is their any proof that natural immunity is lifelong. To the contrary, it wanes as well.""

This is completely untrue. There have been plenty of studies done on this at this stage, and we know natural immunity is much, much stronger than any level of vaccination. The most well known was the very long term, very widespread, Israeli study:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/study-covid-recovery-gave-israelis-longer-lasting-delta-defense-than-vaccines/

"Delta was 27 times more likely to break through Pfizer protection and cause symptoms than it was to penetrate natural immunity"

Natural immunity is not just a little bit stronger, its *27 times* more protective than double vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,604 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This study suggests more protection from vaccines - seems like more research needed. To suggest that natural immunity is lifelong is without foundation at this point.

"Among hospitalized adults with COVID-19-like illness whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, vaccine-induced immunity was more protective than infection-induced immunity against laboratory-confirmed COVID-19.”

Recommends a vaccine booster for those with previous infection. That might be the strongest protection.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-do-vaccines-protect-better-than-infection-induced-immunity

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement