Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

Hey folks! Thanks for the replies, I avoid the one with 156k on the clock, and today I put deposit down on 181 msport 530e with performance pack, upgraded 20inch alloys and the colour is bluestone?... Looks Grey to me so I'll just go with Grey 😂

Only has 60,000 miles so it's 1/3 less then the original one I had my eye on, and I've gone up a year so I'm chuffed.

Can't wait to pick it up on Saturday, as this is my first hybrid (last 3 cars were diesel) is there anything I should be doing when I get the car home, ie: charge it? Anything to avoid?...

I'm looking into getting a charger point installed at home, has anyone got anyone they recommend for the south Dublin area?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Best of luck with it, sounds like nice car. I'm sure you'll spend the first while messing around with modes and settings then settle on just letting the car figure out the most efficient mode for you. Just charge at home, don't go looking for public chargers for a phev, not worth the effort as it won't charge fast anyway. I've had 330e and 530e out for test drives, almost bought a 181 msport 530e early this year but stalled on it due to trying to offload my audi a6 and it was sold, was only just over 30k at the time but I know they've gone up a fair bit since then.

Thanks buddy bubs! Seems like there hundreds of gadgets on the car so I'll spend a good hour or so messing around with them. With regards public chargers, do u find many people plugging them out? Say u park and go do the shopping only to come back and find someone has unplugged it? Or is there a locking mechanism on it? Lucky enough the other half has fast charging points in her job so she can take the car in once a week to charge it for me, only thing is it will take every ounce of me to hand over the keys to her 😂😂

I don't have one yet so I don't know but I don't believe anyone can plug them out only you. What I was saying is there's only a small battery on phev relative to ev so I wouldn't be bothered going to public chargers because you'll probably want to be charging every day so just plug in at home. I don't think the 530e can charge fast anyway so don't bother giving it to your OH to charge at work, shed only be depleting battery on way home anyway. It will charge at more or less same speed no matter what you plug into.

But really nice car, it's a 5 series with the added bonus of electric power for short trips to keep cost down on fuel and considering one myself pretty soon. Just don't want to buy one at todays high prices only for market to come back to normal, bit I don't think it will for a while yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Public chargers are a waste of time for PHEV's , the BMW only charges at 3.7kw/h regardless of the capacity of the charge point. Most public charge points have a hefty surcharge for using them longer than about 45 minutes so it would get expensive pretty quickly.

While you wait for your home charger just use the granny cable and plug it in to a standard socket - Will take 6-7 hrs to charge from empty.

With a wallbox it's about half that time , roughly 3hrs to fully charge it up.

I went with Electric Ireland and got the EO Unit they supply - Does everything you need it to , after the grant it cost ~€400 and was just completely hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Just on the charge time, if you set it to maximum charge in the iDrive settings it will charge in about 4 hours on a 3 pin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

Does anyone know how to display the date on the Instrument Cluster on iDrive6!?

I can switch between analog and digital but it only shows the time.

Back again folks, quick question regarding best driving option, what mode is best to drive in? Obviously sport will eat everything up, but is eco pro best or comfort or edrive?

Sorry but I'm just trying to get to grips with the machine 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement

I spend 90% of the time in Comfort and Auto eDrive, but I do a lot of city driving.

If I am on a motorway and my battery is low I may switch into Battery Control mode to charge it, although with an mpg cost.

As for Eco Pro I don't use it and would only do so if the battery is empty and the tank is near empty also.

I may be wrong but:

Battery Control - uses all available excess power from the engine to re-charge the battery.

Auto eDrive - lets the computer determine when to apply re-charging to the battery.

Eco Pro - won't charge the battery to keep mpg high.

To be clear, the above are engine settings. Re-gen braking is aways on regardless of which mode you are in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

3.3M Yen is about €25k from what I can see , with shipping and VRT that would add another 6-8k at least I guess , which would be about right for a 2018 even with the very low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

In ECO Pro Mode, on the F30 330e at least, the coasting regen is minimised so that you coast for longer.

If you know you're almost home, it's marginally beneficial to fuel economy, since otherwise you'd just be charging the battery up to 25% in a less cost efficient way than plugging it in would be. ie: via speed loss or petrol usage. The car will always try to maintain around 25% or so in case you hit an urban area.

I have an energy monitor on my granny cable, and it shows 100% charge taking only around 3.3kWh. This tallies closely with the OBC when I multiply out the kWh/100km by the achieved range.

It should be up around 5.7kWh, so it looks to be only around 60% of new capacity. On the other hand, the car has 150k km, so some range loss is expected. Has anyone seen similar results, or am I the outlier? It certainly puts me off buying a second hand EV.

Comfort/Auto is probably best for general driving - Although I have mine set to start in "Max Battery" by default as most of my journeys are in the 25/30kms round trip range so that way it stays in Battery only mode.

For longer motorway runs I put it in Eco-Pro/Auto as you are mostly running on cruise control and that just maximises the fuel efficiency. I've seen a few posts online where people have tested their daily commutes under the various setting combos and ECO/Auto came out best for longer cruise control/steady speed trips.

In Eco/Battery the car can be a bit slow to respond to the throttle - e.g. If you plant your foot for a quick overtake, it almost pauses for a second before deciding to react and fire up the Petrol engine and get shifting , that's not an issue in Comfort/Battery though.

As others have said , in ECO mode the car will coast a bit further before brake re-gen starts to slow the car down whereas in comfort as soon as you lift off the car will start to slow.

The battery doesn't charge directly except for re-gen other than when in Battery Control mode, but you get more regen effect from comfort/sport mode than you do in ECO.

Having said that road layout permitting, the extra distance covered "coasting" under ECO could balance out the re-gen charging in a lot of cases - The system counts that coasting as "electric" travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

I'm thinking of selling my 2018 530e just wondering what I could be looking at for a private sale

The car has 90km and is very high spec 20" individual wheels / comfort memory seats / hud / heated steering wheel / display key / 360 camera system / keyless entry

• Advertisement

Is it msport? Big difference between msport and SE prices

I almost bought a 2018 msport from a dealer at start of 2021, had about 80k kms on it and it would have cost me 31k. Nice spec on it, sun roof and a few extras.

Prices have gone up since and you'd be doing well to get similar out of a dealer for under 35k. Do see the odd one up for less though.

I think you'll have to take a big jump down selling privately. High 20s I'd say, 28/29k, thats if its msport. SE knock 4 to 5k off that, even at that the pool of willing buyers will be shallow will zero comeback etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Does anyway know if there is a way of getting additional stats that use to be part of the old BMW Connect app?

I'd like to see a few things like the consumtion for a journey, total distance travelled in electric for the journey / regen. I currently have it set to total consumtipn which is just giving me the running total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I was looking at some of the dealer prices and the Mspots can go for up to 38/39K for 182. What would they be giving if you brought one in, 32/33K, or less?

Some of the higherspec ones are going for 42+

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/5-series/fpa/202111019107633?journey=Search

Go to a dealer and see what he will offer you, remember he can get less than 3 year old cars from the UK without paying 10 % duty and vat free, then pay vat and vrt here when considering the price you want.

Drove by a BMW dealer a month ago, sections of his car park empty and the cars on show near the road had generous space between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

In the market for a used one of these and just wondering do you need to be careful with independent dealers, particularly when they're importing cars, compared to manufacturer dealers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Mine is a 181 m sport

would it be difficult to sell privately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's all about price and if you could arrange extended bmw warranty, you would be on a winner.

Bmw appear greedy on trade in offers. 10k margin between buy and sell at 35 to 40k price range seems to be normal with them.

I'd therefore imagine if you have a car that's worth 37k on a main dealer forecourt, they will be offering 27 or 28 for it.

Private sale at anything over 30k would be a big gain as you can now go anywhere for a straight deal on new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Private sale at anything over 30k would be a big gain as you can now go anywhere for a straight deal on new car.

There's next to zero movement on price from dealers these days, for cash buyers. Especially from higher end marques like BMW. It's full list price plus a 6+ month wait.

There is some margin for them on trade-ins & some are making decent offers I hear. The 530e is popular so I'd be optimistic one would do OK on value, given the current dearth of stock on forecourts.

Car dealers no longer sell cars, they sell finance!

They are more interested in recurring payments than once off cash sales. The former allows them to project future income better and there is also a better than fair chance of repeat business from trading up (e.g. PCP).

So the days of the cash buyer being in a stronger negotiating position are maybe a thing of the past, in recent and current market conditions anyway.

I wasn't necessarily talking about buying brand new. I meant without a trade in, you can go anywhere you like.

With a trade in, you might see a car you want sitting at a dealer but he is giving a **** price on trade in / **** deal overall to change.

Without trade in, you don't have those issues.

If you give me a choice to buy straight or with trade in, I will go for straight sale Everytime.

That doesn't mean not financing. That option is still open.

I wasn't necessarily talking about buying brand new. I meant without a trade in, you can go anywhere you like.With a trade in, you might see a car you want sitting at a dealer but he is giving a **** price on trade in / **** deal overall to change.

Yeah I agree, being able to buy without having a trade-in really does give more options, especially on a used car. I assumed most 530e owners selling/trading would be looking at another brand spanking new car.

I wonder if dealers will start providing a free jar of vaseline with every purchase soon 😂.

New, yes, but I imported it. She's going soon & I have to say with 47k kms on it, it's been one of the best all around cars I've ever owned.

It's averaged 4.5l/100km over the last 2 years (63mpg or 53/54mpg if counting the electricity too). The original front tyres are still on it & have plenty of life left on them. The rears need to be changed now though. The service pack was very reasonable at €450 so the new owner will have the BMW factory warranty until March 2022 & all servicing covered until March 2024 or the next 53k km, whichever arrives first. I'd be suggesting the extended warranty but if it goes through the BMW dealer network, they'll be adding their 2 year warranty & charging accordingly.

I had it down in Switzerland & at vmax on the German autobahns, once or twice.

It's been comfortable, economical & trouble free.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’m feeling the call of the i4 M50 or the iX40 if I want more practicality.

Would it be crazy to trade in my 211 530e? Or is it a good time, with used prices high?

Post edited by AidenL on

Blooming iPad typos. Is it not possible to edit a post these days?

• Advertisement

There should be a little gear ⚙ symbol at top right of your post you can edit. As for your 530e, I'd imagine it's certainly a terrible idea to trade so soon, you'll be walloped. Unless you got it for an extraordinarily low price earlier this year. You could be talking close to 5 figure differential between what you paid and what you'll be offered.

I wouldn't expect less than 10k, but tbh, that wouldn't be too bad considering the value new I suppose.

Lower interest rates from BMW these days too.

Be alot more than 10k drop if trading in I'd say.

Can't hurt to ask anyway.

Quick question folks, I've noticed over the past week my charge when 100% is about 41km, however now it has dropped to 31km at 100%? What is the reason for this? I've read a few post saying weather conditions have alot to do with it, is this true?

I'm charging from a charging point at home and leaving it plugged in overnight and power charge is set to max on Idrive.

Cold Batteries perform worse than warm ones so as the temperature drops the reported performance drops off. If you are doing shorter journeys the battery isn't getting to operating temp so you aren't getting the best out of it.

Also - Now that it's colder you are using the heating, demisters etc. more which also eats into the battery.

If you know when you are leaving you can use the "pre-condition" function to pre-heat the car/battery before you leave , using the charge-point to power the heat up.

Mine was indicating 34ish kms on a full charge in the summer with a 2018 530e. Now is more 28ish kms as the weather has changed.

There are a couple of posts previous in this thread about this. I suggested it may be indicating what kms I will get based on my recent usage (i.e. using air con, heated seats, steer wheel more now under electric power), and that it is not a reflection on deterioration in the overall battery capabiity/lifespan.

Others advised it has got to do with the temp of the battery itself, either under charge on start up where it is colder initially.

Quick Q: does lifting off actually engage the brake in Comfort/Sport or does it use the electric motor to apply an opposing force.

When I use cruise control to slow down, as in going 80kph and knocking it down by 10kph each time, it seems to be more agressive in its deceleration than if I just lift off.

I think it's just the regen impact , don't think it is using the brakes.

You can't really drive "one pedal" in the car , I don't think it will come to a complete stop without the brake unlike some EV's.

Picking one up (3 year old) this weekend. Moving from a 520D which I loved. The refinement of the 530E sold me on it vs the Diesel, particularly at idle or low speed.

• Advertisement

Agree it won't come to a stop. Knocking down the cruise control to slow down (30kph as low as you can go) generates more opposing force than either Sport or Comfort if just lifting off. Would there more regen going on a result?

Just wondering does it make sense to use the "start climitization" function in the BMW app before you leave in the morning to get better battery usage? Also what exactly does it do ? I've read conflicting information online.

If it's plugged in, yes. It'll heat up the cabin & as a result, defrost/demist too. You'll be setting off in a pre-warmed car from the mains electricity & not need to pull that power from the high voltage battery in the 530e.

Pre-heating doesn't do anything for the high voltage battery - it has no means of heating itself.

I thought it did "pre-condition" the battery? - This article seems to suggest it does , but perhaps that's only for BEV and not Hybrids..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

On the pre-condition subject, in my experience pre heating or cooling does impact the battery range. It seems (to me) the climatisation uses the charge quicker quicker than the mains can replace it.

On another note: Had mine in for it's first NCT last week.

It passed but all the values for engine emissions were zero. Brakes and suspension and lights were all tested but not the engine.

It was fully charged going in so the engine wouldn't have come on by default, but I thought these days they controlled low/high idle test etc. via the OBD.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

They have never done emissions test in hybrids.

Automatic pass it would seem apart from visual issues.

• Advertisement

Could any owners interpret what this screen is telling me? Thanks

Post edited by Cloudio9 on

Over the last 10km, you averaged 83mpg. Your 7th, 8th & 9th kms are blue, ran on battery energy & then obviously exceeded the graph's limit (90mpg).

You ran initially, for the first 3kms, at 45mpg approx. (ePower). It then likely went into charge mode & charged up the battery, doubling your consumption, so dropping your mpg into the low 20s (charge mode). Then you deployed the battery & it ran in battery mode.

Another possible scenario would be you drove spiritedly, or at speed on a motorway, for the middle kms, 3 to 6.

You've also driven 123.3kms since that was reset/zeroed.

Yeah sorry about that. I suppose I should be grateful I can actually upload a picture at all on the new Boards

Thanks, just got the car at weekend so getting used to this stuff.

Is the pie chart in the corner just for 10km or 123km ? Is "epower" the regeneration energy and "Charge" energy from the grid ?

Do you know what the grey bar to the left of the mpg scale means? It seems to be level with the 90mpg mark.

The 10km covered above would've been 3 or 4 short local journeys last night, dropping kids to training etc. At the start of this 10km the battery was flat. The 3km in blue was due to the car being charged on mains for an hour or so between two of the short trips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement