Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its not a hard thing to do to prove your broadband speed though. And its very important to most buyers nowadays. Hell its why a lot of them are moving. Because they have been told they are allowed to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

What about an English broker/insurer. That was my backup if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I didn't know English insurers could do mortgage protection for Irish buyers. Are they more lenient than Irish ones? Was there a broker in particular you were planning to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

How long does the valuation usually take? I received the loan offer last week Tuesday, and booked a valuation right after. The surveying was already done, so I'm waiting on valuation and the solicitor to advise on next steps now, essentially. Also, the lender asked for the BER certificate, would I contact the EA for that or is that something the solicitor will do? Thanks a lot as always!

The valuation itself only takes an hour or two to do. In terms of how long they take to book an appointment it'll probably be down to the bank and how busy they are. In our case they came to look at the place 6 days after I called them, and I received the actual report about 2 weeks later after that. This was with AIB during the summer.

We've gotten great news from AIB today that my partner got her mortgage protection insurance waived 😀 We're very surprised but very happy, we had been looking forward to the new house for months and thought it was done and we'd lose it at the last minute. Hopefully no more hiccups before closing date now.

For future reference, because nobody else anywhere seemed to post about their experiences of receiving a waiver, in our case we had an exception on the 3.5x limit (our mortgage was 4.5x of our combined incomes at the time of applicatoin), and I earn about 35% more than my partner does in gross income. Our LTV was around 79%, it may have been more difficult if it was at 90%. My partner has a death in service benefit to the value of approximately 22% of the mortgage. Apparently they factor in ability to repay on a single income also, and in my case my current rent + regular monthly savings are a little bit higher than the monthly mortgage repayments, even after we get out of the 5 year fixed rate. We also have no other debts, and no kids or dependents. The mortgage was for 35 years, and it was with AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Ha- just replied on the other thread re: your situation. That's great news. Congratulations. I imagine the relief is huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Ah congrats. Waiting on AIB to ok qualification of title for the second time ourselves. I'm feeling hopeful as we are looking for a relatively small mortgauge so fingers crossed. I spoke to a UK broker about it while waiting for our Irish one and they said that they can insure but i didn't need to go ahead with it. I had heard online that the UK is easier for some conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hi. Can anyone who bought an apartment recently help with this query please.

The broker mailed me today to ask me to organise a letter ( insurance) of indemnity with the financial company noted on it.

i mailed the agent to ask for the management companys details so could arrange this, they said this is done though the solicitor.

Mailed the solicitor and they said the venders solicitor arrange this once the contracts are signed.

I’ve gone full circle and still none the wiser how to get this letter.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

My solicitor requested it from the vendors solicitor who provided it. This was after the contract was signed. The bank required a copy of it as well prior to drawdown. I'd let your broker know what the solicitor has said and that you'll forward it once available.

Also, make sure you specifically tell your solicitor they you need a copy and request that it's forwarded to you when available. My solicitor didn't do this until drawdown was requested - don't think he knew it was needed - and it's slowing down the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

So ill get it once the contracts are signed and prior to drawdown yes.

the second i sign it ill get my solicitor on to it. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Hi all. We've been sale agreed since July (selling our home). Things have been moving slowly, mostly down to the pace the banks are running at, so I'm told.

Our closing date (which is next week) was set by the buyer's solicitor 6 weeks ago when contracts were signed by both parties subject to loan approval. The same day, buyers got letter of loan approval. In the intervening time we have heard basically nothing. Our solicitor has been calling and emailing the buyer's guy and getting no response. I reached out to the EA to ask buyer what's going on. Last night buyer's solicitor emailed mine a one liner to say that he's waiting to hear from his client.

I called EA again today and said we need to know what's happening and that she needs to put pressure on the buyer to kick his solicitor into action. She later called to say buyer wasn't aware his solicitor was waiting on him for anything. As far as he's concerned they're just waiting for draw down.

So I'm quite disheartened now as we really don't know what is going on. Our solicitor reckons that there's no chance of it all wrapping up by closing date. Too much to be organised between solicitors and no contact from their side means it won't all get done in time. We don't even know if the draw down has been requested yet.

Apparently buyer's solicitor is a regular in court so house sales are low on his priority list. Baffles me that one individual being nonchalant and frankly unprofessional can interfere with the lives of other's in such a negative way. We had to move out of our home to relocate and are now paying rent in our new location on top of the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

if contracts are signed then your solicitor would have received the 10% deposit. It's not nice but you could suggest that unless closing happens on that date the contract is void and you're keeping their deposit and the house is going back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I don’t think it’s that simple. I think you have to serve them with a notice to complete (think that’s the name of it) and they then have 28 days to get everything in order before you can back out. Obviously your solicitor would know all that better than me but just wanted to point out that you can’t just decide to keep their money the day after things were due to close.

I was on the other side of this situation last year. We were supposed to close on our house at the end of March 2020 but with Covid everything got delayed, banks freaked out, wasn’t clear if the valuation could be done etc etc. Luckily our incomes were secure and it worked out in the end but the whole thing took an extra 6 weeks.

Thanks. Yes, solicitor has received the deposit. He actually only told me yesterday that the buyer's solicitor sent a cheque. He thought this was highly unusual in that it's almost exclusively done by EFT these days. He said the only reason to send a cheque is to cause delay and that he would normally have difficulty accepting a cheque but he knows the firm (knew the current solicitors father) and can trust them.

Thanks for the info. I may have to explore that option because to be honest I can't let this situation drag on where our income is hammered with the expense of two houses. We'll see what today brings. I'm expecting to hear from the EA later as I have instructed her to follow up with the buyer and makes sure he communicates with his solicitor and tells us what exactly is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Hontou

I have just made an offer on a house with tenants in situ for the last 4 months. The offer is conditional on vacant possession. The tenants know the owner is selling and that they have to leave with one months notice which has been given. They rented the property in knowledge of this. The tenancy is registered with the RTB, according to the owner. I have AIP, however, the bank, I presume, will expect it to be vacant when they do their valuation. Does anyone have experience of banks doing their valuation with tenants in situ and as a consequence being refused the loan? Also, does anyone have experience of tenants not moving out, when asked, in the first 6 months - even though they have no part 4 rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Circus_O

We got the mortgager valuation on the house we were sale agreed on while the tenant was in the house. The report from the valuer stated that the tenant was preparing to move and had the end date of the lease and the date the tenant had said he was planning to leave. Our solicitor then had to send something as part of drawdown that confirmed vacant possession.

In our case it had no impact because the tenant left on time as agreed.

I sort of know how you feel. We seem to be on the opposite side of this right now. The seller's solicitor are just impossible to reach all week. Our own solicitor has been making attempts since Tuesday. On Wednesday the EA said that if our own solicitor contacted them requesting a note they should be able to setup a final closing date, and that their solicitor should contact ours "soon". The same day our own said he emailed 2 different solicitors at the same firm so we should expect a reply by Thursday. Our own solicitor tried calling today but only got to receptionist and still no reply.

Probably not as bad as your case but still a bit frustrating not knowing our own closing date, and they've been dragging their feet on this for months (we also went sale agreed in July). In some way that was lucky for us because we had delays on our own end, but the closing date is fast approaching now. The EA has said they expected it would be in November so we're about 6 weeks out at most, and our lease is up at the end of November so we really will need to serve notice to the landlord soon. Can't get insurance policies finalised and in place until we have it either, which has to be signed over to the bank too, and still have to arrange packing and moving out in that time.

Sounds like you're experiencing much the same as we are.

Well I sent a fairly pushy email to the EA yesterday saying that this lack of clarity and communication isn't good enough and she needs to push the buyer into putting pressure on his solicitor.

Today I got a forwarded email from the solicitor saying that they have arranged for the funds to be released on the closing date. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. My solicitor says that it appears the other lawyer is doing the bare minimum. If it were him he would have been in contact with the bank a few times to make sure there weren't going to be any issues on the draw down day. He says if you leave the bank to their own devices they will only flag an issue 3 days before closing which guarantees a delay.

Anyway, fingers crossed they have their ducks in a row and all goes smoothly. We will find out in due course.

Best of luck with your own purchase, it's stressful when you have leases and everything to factor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Good morning everyone. I received my loan offer about 3 weeks ago now, I've my mortgage and home insurance lined up and done the surveying and valuation with no issues or roadblocks so far. I haven't heard anything in about 3 weeks at this stage, is that normal? I'm basically just waiting for my solicitor to inform me what to do next at this stage, my understanding was I should sign the loan offer relatively soon after receiving it, or is there more to it? Thanks, kind of going a little crazy :)

Do you mean you haven't heard from the bank, the solicitor, or the estate agent? You haven't mentioned if you've tried reaching out to any of them yourself. If I was you I'd be asking the solicitor and agent at least what the progress is like on getting the contracts, and asking the bank if they are happy with the valuation or need anything else. 3 weeks isn't a huge amount of time tbh so I wouldn't be getting too worried yet about anything but would still rather have some idea of when the next step will be happening.

• Advertisement

My friend is bidding on a nice little house in Skerries and was the top bidder for the last 3 weeks and about €25k under the asking price.

The agent range her Friday to tell her that the asking price was bid Friday and the vendor was about to close today Monday. Did they want to bid over the asking price. So they decided not to and said they would have to fall out of the bidding.

Agent called back today and said the higher bidder dropped out and would they like to bid their original bid for the property.

Not the first time of heard of that agent doing that.

Methinks games are being played here.

I've had suspicions about this while bidding myself too. It wouldn't be hard for an EA to make up phantom bids to bring up the price. Even if they pushed you to the point of going too far, they can always say the top bidder went elsewhere or that the seller decided the top bidder wasn't reliable. Realistically though, if they were going to do that, they wouldn't go straight with a 25k jump, which is pretty big and would be more likely to just scare someone off instead of cause them to try get into a bidding war.

Just on mortgage protection / life insurance - had asthma as a child but dormant for a very long time - should this affect it negatively?

Its actually the same agent i heard that same story about before.

I really dont see what an agent would have to gain from it.

It really wouldnt be that much more commission to the agent themselves.

The only thing i can think of is they want to try push up to the asking price for their own stats. eg "My sales always get asking price".

Just funny that they said it went to asking price and then all of a sudden when my friend said they were out its back down to their original bid.

They are really annoyed about it. I said to her to reduce her bid by 10k and see what happens :) She has seen another house she likes better anyway.

But if she gets neither she is back to square one.

I definitely smell a rat but i dont see the advantage of it.

Maybe the buyer is demanding asking price too. That would be the agents fault for pricing it too high too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No that shouldn't be an issue, if you are on any meds just have the name of them handy when filling out the form \ on the call.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah, I don't think there's much in it for them either. When I suspected it I was probably just getting paranoid due to anxiety. Unless they can drag an extra 100k or so out of you then it's not going to be much to them, and in general agents would rather sell quickly instead of take time to sell high. The seller demanding asking may be part of it, since they have more to gain, and these days when most houses go for well over asking, it might be taken as an insult to have to sell below it.

Honestly though, most likely thing is there was some other person who swept in with an offer at asking price, but then also got accepted elsewhere and decided to go with that, or backed out for some other reason. It's not unheard of for things to fall through. If your friend had the second highest bid, it would stand to reason that when the top bid is gone, her one would be the one they accept instead.

In my experience, most ask about things that have occurred in the past 5 years or so. If you have not had any symptoms in that time and don't take any medication for it then it may not come up at all. The fact that it's quite a common ailement means they likely wouldn't deny for asthma either

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

I don't really get the strategy either. When I went to view an apartment a few months ago (which I subsequently bought) there was already an offer on it 20k under asking. I put in a bid 5k higher, original bidder came back and bid 2k higher, so then I upped my offer another 2k. EA didn't hear back from the original bidder after a week so called me and said the seller was willing to go sale agreed at 7k under asking (my bid at that point was 11k under asking) if I was comfortable with that. At that point I had already been house hunting for a year and a half so I just bit the bullet and went with the 7k under asking, going sale agreed that day. I'm sure I could have tried to get them to meet me in the middle but I didn't want to risk losing it, and I was honestly willing to go up to asking if it came to that so I still considered myself getting a good deal at 7k under asking.

IMO the strategy that the EA/seller employed there is a much better strategy than making up an offer to try and put pressure on a potential buyer.

Got another reply from our sellers today that their own solicitor won't be in the office until tomorrow and they will ask her to get into contact with our solicitor. However, they also said they are still working out some stuff in their own purchase contract and "hopefully" they'll have that done this week. They're still saying they want a date in mid to late November, but also said they can't give any specific date, even though the house they are buying is empty, so it sounds like even if we do get ahold of the solicitor tomorrow, it won't get us any new information anyway.

This is all a bit baffling to us. We can't think of a good reason why they would be so hesitant to finalise a date with us, especially if the house they're buying is empty already and should be fairly easy to move into quickly. The only thing we can imagine is that they still aren't 100% comitted to the whole transaction and want to still be able to back out, which isn't very comforting. We have no experience with this kind of thing as either buyers or sellers. Does anyone else know a reason why a seller would be so reluctant to just name a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Surely it is as simple as they just haven't been given a date in their own purchase contract for whatever reason, and therefore can't risk giving you a date until that is done. That's what 'working out some stuff in their own contract' sounds like to me; it's just not at the signing stage yet!

• Advertisement

You could be right. I assumed it was not that, as I imagined they would have just specifically said if they were still trying to get their own purchase date figured out (rather than just keeping it vague and just saying there were still questions to answer), but we have no experience at all so we're kind of just relying on our imaginations at this stage. We also just assumed an empty house would have a lot more flexibility on a move in date than one that is currently occupied.

I understand why they would want to keep the option open to back out of the whole thing if that is the reason for their own hesitancy. I'm sure I'd do the same in their position, it's just making it hard to feel secure about it for us. If we don't get a date by next week then we'll have to convert to a part 4 tenancy ourselves, which means a longer notice period required and we'd be looking at mid-December then to end our own lease, and starting to get into the area of our bank valuation report expiring.

Advertisement