Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You've been railing against Antigen tests for months because you can't seem to get beyond a very basic premise - they aren't to replace PCR tests. They're an additional measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

To implement antigen tetsing nationwide is to set up a completely new service.

Staff, space, ppe, reflex testing for pcr, contact tracing and hundreds of thousands of devices. Performing one test is quick. Performing them on hundreds or thousands of people takes a lot of time and labour.

I don't think it's worth blowing millions more to catch a handful of cases. That isn't cheap.

The remainder of restrictions on events and businesses should lifted anyway without it.

And I don't believe they add anything.

I don't think we need them. I think it's a waste of resources.

Limits on events and capacities should be lifted on the 22nd without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You can self-test to a reasonable degree of accuracy

It doesnt need to be centrally recorded or have dedicated staff, just the dissemination of test kits. Antigen tests for travel amount to something similar anyways, a "professional" does the swab and then takes a photo of the result alongside your ID. Just stick a page on one of the covid apps to submit a test result incl a serial number of the test so the result cant be reused.

They dont add anything - and yet all the countries who added them saw a big decrease in the incidence of covid and community spread.

Almost as if widespread quick tests are breaking chains of transmission.. - I must tell those countries that they are doing it wrong because Martina on boards reckons its a waste of resources though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Except this time around approx. 90% are vaccinated, this is already significantly changing the relationship between the number of cases and the number requiring hospital and/or ICU care. Taking the effect of vaccination into account we should be able to operate with fewer restrictions than last Summer while still avoiding over stressing our hospital capacity. Where the optimal point is is something for the Government to decide based the advice they get from various experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

It is covid theatre, along with all the other rubbish coming from RTE, NPHET and government over past week or so.

Ramping it up to a big media event even though we are better than our most optimistic forecasts.

Its shocking that this has come to pass again.

What is still the most shocking thing to me is that there is literally NO political party and no media outlet that has even offered any form of opposition to any of this. That really is the scariest thing for this country.

What countries have seen a reduction in incidence that can be largely attributed to antigen tests.

The UK have been using them for ages. They're incidence is far higher than here. They've been found to not prevent outbreaks in nursing homes or schools there.

Slovakia tried to test their entire country to break chains of transmission. Didn't make a difference.

speaking of making money, nobody is going to buy vaccines that are ineffective and yet somehow here we are.

Speaking of claims, it seems the efficacy is waning and yet the companies bank balances wont be waning. The vaccines went to trial and then every NIAC type group of eggheads started to deviate from t hose trials, like giving second doses sooner or farter apart and mix and matching one vaccine with another based on what was indicated in the field but not (as I understand it) used in trial. And if they were, the trials were for only months in the making.

And I never said I disregard or discredit any and all because of one man in one coat but as I said yesterday earlier in the thread, Irish "experts" have huge form when it comes to matters of medicine being ill advised. Look at the Pandermix debacle, look at Cervical smear campaign. sure look at the two huge payouts in the last month for medical negligence FFS. I don't hit the internet for my facts which feed my opinion, these are my informed thoughts on the matter.

I think nurses and health carers have the most thankless job on the planet but the fact that they're being used as human shields by fuckwit civil servants and pat politicians is a joke. and the unvaccinated are being used as lightning rods for the media and the mob alike.

It's despicable to see the fabric of society being cut into rags and sewn back by the blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Look at that shocking psitivity rate

Ye are all a shower of dirty feckers

Big Tone back this week to put manners on you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are you using it for? To find infected people at random? Or as part of a covid pass to gain entry to pubs etc?

Because for the latter, 50% effective means 50% chance of letting someone in who shouldn't be.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I still to this day can’t get over that advice, if you test positive for this deadly virus stay at home for 2 weeks ye be grand.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Why we are not at over 50% positivity? We really should only be testing those who are actually sick with at least two symptoms. This thing of running off to get a test after being vaccinated and not being sick has to stop.

As soon as people get this into their head - covid is NOT going away. It will be here next year and the year after and after that. We have done enough. We should have been open fully once the 50 year olds were done which was around June / July. Everything done away with.

Yet, here we are this afternoon talking about Antigen tests!! What a joke of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

Are we not at similar numbers as we were a few weeks ago and nobody was getting excited.

The government then decided to go for herd immunity in the schools and the cases dropped a bit as the testing stopped of close contacts in schools and now it back up as kids that have been infected by Mary who they sit beside and are now giving it to family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ongoing positivity rates and the rise in hospitalisations are of immediate concern, that so-called "wrong turn" of COVID!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone know when the NPHET advise gets released today?

Anyone willing to guess as to how this will play out over the next few weeks assuming the hospital situation continues to get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It doesn't get released today. It goes to government who consider it.

The letter could be released in the next few days probably

Based on your logic, not testing would be 100% letting someone in who shouldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It will not be officially released, it will just go to government but there will be leaks.

• Advertisement

High chance it gets leaked though. FG very cosy with the Examiner and Indo Pol Corrs so they might be first to have the news.

Neither of which have got any leaks in the last few days. Its as if the well has dried up for them

I think the reason for no leaks lately is that NPHET are waiting to meet and Tony was out of office so they have no power to do anything without his approval.

I'd say later this evening or tomorrow morning there will be leaks. And I think NPHET will want no change at all or maybe reimpose restrictions. probably the latter.

two of my friends are Vaccinated and both were dying with sore throats and coughs this week. Yes likely it was a cold or similar seasonal malady of course, However neither got tested Because it's their belief that they'll be fine. To say nothing of the fact that it could have been Covid and off they went into work.

This is what happens when you frame the Unvaccinated as the vectors. There's tons of this happening every day. I saw a man in his 70's on the bus wearing a mask like a chinstrap penguin. 🤣

sure why should he worry, it's the unvaccinated that are the cause of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

"Covid behaving in a certain way"

Christ... he's learned nothing about communication. You'd swear he can negotiate with covid the way he talks about it

“This isn’t an absence of clarity,” he says: “it’s that Covid is behaving in a certain way.”

such absolute pearls of wisdom from Sinbad and the seven advisors!

Oh sure Covid is acting in a way unbecoming of a novel virus and not in keeping or in standing with our predictions, projections, preventions and protections.

looks left and right to received nod that public have tuned out and gone ta fuuk!🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

ah for fûck sake! Covid is different in Ireland to anywhere else in the world! Absolute numpty of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

11 ICU beds apparently now left in the country. Who should be prioritised to take them, should the non vaccinated get them as they would have the least chance of survival?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bikeman1

There will be no leaks from the NPHET briefing. But as soon as Leo is involved the message will get out. The sub-committee are meeting tonight and during or after it, the leaks will come out and we will know where we stand. Cabinet will be all but a formality to sign off.

Advertisement