Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing becoming difficult

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What did you expect? You started this when you went to the landlord to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Is even moving home an option because once you involved the landlord the situation between you all was bound to get worse you really have no choice at this stage other than one side moves out and that is most likely you .

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

No, unfortunately that's why I am renting in the first place.

Ok did not really think it was an option but looks like you will have to go full on looking for something else do your best not to let things get you too down know its easy for me to say that of course best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Thought I would give an update. I moved out just over a week ago, I feel like such a different person. Clearly the place didn't suit me any more, glad I took the chance and moved on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well done! Sometimes it's the best move to make, other people can be hell, best bite the bullet, as they say.

good to hear you got things sorted it was the best option for you to move .Hope things work out in your new place good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I really relate to the situation OP. Had a similar problem myself a few years back. Was in a 4-way houseshare for a year that was fine, but 2 of them moved out leaving myself and one other HM with the place. She was a very close friend and we got on really well so we decided to try rent out the other two. We had a mutual friend and one of her good friends from college looking for spaces. The latter guy seemed sound at the beginning and we all got along well, but it soured with similar behaviour to what you're describing. He would regularly come home late (as in after midnight when most of us were already asleep) and start playing music loudly off his phone, drinking, and turning the heat on for the whole house, so if the noise didn't wake us up the temperature would. Then set alarms for around 6am in the morning that seemed to only wake my other HM and not himself, because he was never up early. Also had a habit of inviting friends around late and making a lot of noise too, or staying up to all hours.

Despite the bollocking you're getting in the thread for thinking this is inconsiderate to do without giving notice, I do agree. Shared areas belong to everyone, and if you're going to be taking one of them over for the whole evening it's common courtesy to at the very least give a heads up to the rest of the house. In a lot of the cases I had I probably would have tried to make arrangements find somewhere else to be if I'd known I wasn't going to be able to get any peace to study or sleep for the evening. Even later on when I was subletting a room in my apartment, I'd 100% always give my HM I was subletting to some notice if I was inviting some friends over for that reason and make sure it was ok with him, and he did the same for me.

Didn't clean up after himself either. We tried having meetings to discuss rules and shared responsibilities but they never really had much long-term effect. The close friend and I were driven up the wall with him. It is very frustrating, because you feel like when you've been there first and invited them in then you should have seniority, but it really just doesn't work like that in any way. Unlike you, we actually outnumbered him and still couldn't do anything. The defacto power lies with whoever is being the most obnoxious and causing the most trouble for the rest, because they can stick it out longer. We really didn't want to leave, because it was a nice place at a good price, and we were there first, and you are basically just rewarding everything they've done to piss you off, but we had to give in eventually and get out. As others have pointed out, the LL will never really care as long as they aren't violating the lease, and even if they are it's difficult. The bad tenant could stop paying the rent, start wrecking the furniture, and sell heroin out of the apartment and it would be months of court proceedings to get them to leave anyway. Glad to hear you managed to get another place at least, and you've also learned the hard way to be incredibly cautious in future about who you invite into a place to share with you.

Really appreciate your post, C14N. Glad someone is on the same page as me in terms of being respectful and considerate of others and mutual areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Good to hear Lilacnails!

I know you got some shiit in here but I think it was due to the only real solution being moving out. Your former housemates were inconsiderate by the sounds of it but unfortunately there was nothing you could do about that.

Its a shame that the more annoying people can call the shots in this situation.

Hope everything works out for you. Out of curiosity, did you get your own place?

Just looked around on notice boards and online. I looked a bit further outside of the place I was in. Just a extra dew min on my journey in the car. Had to accept id to pay a bit more for rent also.

Sad that you're stuck paying more, but I suppose you do have to do the maths on that at some point I suppose and ask how much is it worth financially to be able to live in relative comfort and peace. It's just very unpleasant living with somebody you do not like and feeling like you want to avoid being in the same room with them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Learn from it, sort out problems yourself or move. Your LL is not a social worker or mediator, it's not their problem. If you ever end up house sharing again. Act as the LL and sublet to a licensee, who you can kick out whenever you want, they pay you, you pay the LL so you will need to have some savings to cover somebody leaving or been kicked out. It will work better you can lower your rent, any hassle they are gone end of, just make it clear upfront what the situation is. Get somebody who is from down the country and plays sports. If their county is in a final you will be invaded but the rest of the time they will be gone home at weekend

I took the same lesson myself. In future, don't let any people onto the lease who don't need to be there. Even if they're friends, because they may not be anymore after you have to live with them. The more people on it, the bigger the headache you'll end up with. If you can pull together a deposit on the apartment or house, then do it and sublet the rooms, or if you're stuck, only have someone else you really trust go onto it. You'll have no trouble filling the other rooms in today's market.

Advertisement