Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freedom FM

• 10-09-2021 7:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Congrats to all at freedom FM ahead of going national on the 18th.

A station thats ingrained in my youth best of luck to all the folks there for what I'm sure is going to be a great success.

Comments

Not really national, only Dublin,Cork,Galway and Limerick.Nothing for the southeast,southwest and northwest!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Hardly surprising in fairness. Every TX site incurs rental cost as well as a transmitter, antenna array, STL, installation and derigging. Also, the PPI charge a fee per site so it all mounts up and becomes quite costly. Probably not easy to find sponsors to cover the cost of a 30 day licence in the absence of a large promotion/PR campaign?

Fair play to all involved, if it’s even half as good as the original we should be in for a treat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Freedom are using sites that have or will be used for other multi region temporary operators. As LN has said, it's pricey stuff for a lot of reasons and it can't be done with the old Veronica tin box transmitters that were commonly used during the 90's.

Anyhow, they are streaming online which some posters like to tell us is the only way to do it and that it's killing FM altogether and it's only a matter of time before FM is a dead duck 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

As soon as a schedule is released, could somebody put it up here? It will be interesting to see how many former Freedom FM presenters from its pirate days will be on it. I would imagine that those involved with its current online version will feature for starters. A few Freedom FM presenters were in the lineup for the recent temporary license run for Easy Radio - I would say that they will be involved with this.

Virtually all of the old crew will feature at some stage over the 30 days; I only know of one who definitely won't be involved. However, between full time jobs and time zones (A few are based in North America.) and devoted spouses and kids and general old age 👳 a formal schedule will be a day or two away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Has anyone a link to any info on this?

Information about the station receiving a licence is up on their Facebook page along with some photos. Their website should be updated ahead of the weekend.

How does one go about getting one of these temporary licences from the bai ? Is there much red tape involved? I think the original idea for 4fm evolved from a temp station in the mid 00s called Choice FM

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DavidJC

105.2 in Dublin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's on air in Limerick this morning on 105.5 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Interesting feature on how the station operates at present etc posted here today, fair play to them for seemingly putting out as much live content as possible during their license term.

https://radioland.org/author/davidrednagle/

A modest signal this morning in the west Dublin commuter hinterlands.

A mole inside Freedom House tells me that any decent anorak needs to get the tape deck readied from 11:48AM onwards tomorrow.

You have been warned 😊

Is it not starting live broadcasts at midnight tonight, i.e. the start of the 18th September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Listening to the test on 105.2 in Bray - all sounds great. Brilliant to hear Freedom FM jingles on air again.

Best of luck to Sean and the crew, it's good to have you back.

😀

I presume that all the presenters so far on the schedule go back to Freedom FM as a pirate, or at the very least its online state since last year. I would be interested if there any new presenters to Freedom in its current run.

At least two of the people involved with Freedom FM were presenters on the recent temporary license run of Easy Radio: Mike O'Brien and Sean Power, aka Simon Davis. At least three of the people involved in Freedom FM were involved with the temporary license runs for The 90s Network: Mike O'Brien, Ralph McGarry and Greg Browne. Mike O'Brien also turned up on Heartbeat's only temporary license run, and he was involved with a couple of temp. licenses for youth-oriented stations outside Dublin. Busy man!

I am also pretty sure that Greg Browne turned up for the last temporary license of Premier FM in the '00s.

Incidentally, that 105.2 Dublin frequency is pretty powerful - I could pick it up loud and clear this evening in Drogheda!

Further to my previous post, Paul Duffy, aka Paul Dee, was one of the operators of The 90s Network, along with Mike O'Brien. Paul also was a presenter on the recent Easy Radio temporary license run. Robbie Dunbar and Wayne Scales were also presenters on The 90s Network for its temporary license runs. Basically, there's a lot of crossover with Freedom FM!

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 37 onmia

They all were involved with the original Freedom 92Fm and have a genuine love of all things radio.

• Advertisement

Here are a few former Freedom FM presenters from its pirate days, which, judging by its schedule, do not seemed to be involved with its temporary license run: Ronan Scanlan, Tony MacNamara, Fergal Rigby, Gareth Skelly and Jason Dee - the latter was involved with The 90s Network.

Yes , New presenters added to the station line up before the Fm run and more to come.

Siobhan O'Connor

Emma Ryan

Oisín Langan

Adrienne O'Hora

To Name a few

Post edited by onmia on

It's interesting to see Oisin Langan getting involved. He used to be a commentator and reporter for Off the Ball (Newstalk and Today FM), and is currently a commentator and reporter for BBC Northern Ireland. Along the way, he had the same role for Setanta Sports. His involvement with Freedom FM as a presenter is quite a change for him.

Some more info about Ralph McGarry, courtesy of the website: temporary licensed youth based radio stations in west Wicklow, Kildare and south west Dublin during the noughties, consulted on the set up of a temporary arts based station in Cork in 2007.

Dublin pirate Sugar FM emerged from the ashes of Freedom FM, after it closed down as a pirate. Sugar FM was around from its initial test transmissions in October 2003 until it called it a day in July 2004. A number of ex-Freedom FM presenters from that time, and involved with its current run, were on Sugar FM. They include: Andy Walker, Simon Davis, Paul Duffy, Mike O'Brien, Elaine Kane, Louise Scott, Refiq, Wayne Scales and Al Murray. The latter was one of the station owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's a breath of fresh air...

I heard Stakka Bo on the radio for the first time in 20 years.

The other day I heard Darius's "Colour Blind" which went to No 1 (according to Wikipedia) which I hadn't heard since it came out.

Nice mix of music from the era without relying on the hits from the year.

Many of those in the current lineup have dabbled in pure dance pirates: Darren Stevens, Al Murray, Mike O'Brien, Vinny S, Ronan Devitt, Greg Browne, Chris Ryan, Rafiq and Ryan Philips.

I did not realise that Cork's 96FM's Keith Cunningham, aka KC, was with Freedom FM at one stage during its pirate era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Part of the music played on Freedom FM sounds a bit like the former "Atlantic 252" to me. Lot's of 90ies dance from the Celtig Tiger area.

When you go into their website now, a message is displayed saying "This Account has been suspended." Any ideas why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

the celtic tiger era was not really in the 1990's

It's okay now.

I mentioned in a previous post about the presenters who turned up on dance pirates. Another one from the current lineup is Adrienne O'Hora. She has also been a presenter on temporary-licensed (and online) Christmas FM.

There are some in the lineup who have been involved with oldies pirates. They include Mike O'Brien with Breeze FM - '00s pirate playing '90s music, Al Murray with Pirate FM last year and Louise Jordan with Non Stop Nineties a few years ago.

Nothing to worry about , this will be resolved shortly , we have had to change servers due to demand. This results in DNS delays which will be resolved shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I am really enjoying the station. Not only am I hearing songs that I haven't heard on the radio in ages, but I am also hearing tracks that I never heard before. I am glad that the artist and song title come up as a song is playing. It means I can jot down the names, if I have been unsure before.

My mole that lives inside of Freedom House was onto me last night. She says that there's a rumour a brewing that the rascals in Freedom are planning an OB real soon. I'd take this one seriously; such a party will surely be hopping....

They say the real Celtic Tiger was 1994 to 2001, the fake Celtic Tiger based on a property bubble was 2002 to 2007.

• Advertisement

My mole was back onto me this evening. She says that there's one more OB lined up for next Saturday. No word on the location yet but apparently Aidan Power will be live on eyre for it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭maniac2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

The playlist could do with some pruning IMO. Have tuned in at various times and every 3rd or 4th song seems quite obscure. There were plenty of radio friendly hits in the 90s and 00s to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭maniac2003

I like the obscureness it sets them aside from the others

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

If Freedom FM is not available in your town, listen to it online 24/7 https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/freedom-fm

• Advertisement

You can never please everyone, I remember when 4fm opened some people were saying that the music they were playing was too old while others were saying it was too new. When 2fm had older presenters and played music going back to the 60s, most people were saying it should become a proper youth station and target Spin/Iradio/Beat listeners, when Dan Healy took over the running of the station and filled it up with ex Iradio/Spin presenters, most people started saying that 2fm should go Golden oldies and forget about the crowded youth market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

I'm really enjoying this. The playlist very much reminds me of 2fm growing up! Picking up loud and clear in north tipp from Galway on 87.9 Reception from Limerick on 105.5 not great even tho it's a lot closer, but i guess the Silvermines are in the way.

Here are two more names from its pirate days that I don't think are involved this time: Sarah Baybay and Robbie Chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

And it’s gone! Last song they played in full was Angels by Robbie Williams. I think their breakdown tape tried to kick in after that because after a few seconds of silence, SOS by Rihanna played for a bit then stopped. Then Greatest Day by Take That played for a few seconds too. I’ll miss it, was a real breath of fresh air on FM. I enjoyed the obscurity because I heard a lot of stuff that I hadn’t heard for years or had forgotten about completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Any reason why it's gone ?

Their 30 day license period ended. Available only via the app or website now. I wonder how much the license cost them to put on air? It was a good way to raise awareness and drive listeners to their streaming platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Still streaming on the Net though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Heard it for the first time on Sunday in the car (And the last it seems on FM)

Was just giving an early check out for the XMAS FM Station and its on the same frequency they used last year.

I gather the idea was to always have a brief period on FM to gather an audience and promote the station, but the final idea was always to switch to online steaming, and hope to bring as many people with them??

Think the fee to the Bai for such a licence is about 5k

Yes but there are other costs too - rental of transmission sites, rigging and derigging etc. I would think this is substantial. Music rights too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement