Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What I want to see, just for fun, is a 5 lap race between Lewis in the Mercedes-Benz safety car vs Sebastian Vettel in the Aston Martin Safety Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,228 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What about going back to the beginning and having a cart race between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not if you put them all in a Haas lol. That would be fun but might be a bit slower than we are used to. Still it would be interesting to see how many could make it to the finish in the Haas. One thing is for sure there would be plenty of spins lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

United States Grand Prix next weekend. I do like watching the races in the evening.

PlanetF1: Adrian Newey couldn't work after bike crash, found set-up issues upon return.

I hadn't heard about this until now. Its unfortunate as it seems Mercedes has turned things around and gotten the upper hand in the last while. Maybe this is a big part of the reason why that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Rumor is that Petronas is leaving the Merc team next year. I read in a book about Brawn who were off trying to find sponsors before Merc bought the team that it was the most valuable sponsorship deal in F1 worth e30 million a year, Even paying part of Lewis's salary direct a few years later.

Wonder will INEOS pay up.

Ms

I wonder who Mercedes will get to replace them and be there supplier? Bound to have an effect on the teams running next year while they iron out all the issues and get used to whatever new oil supplier they get if it does happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The rumour is that Aramco will be the new sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Red Bull would have taken Bottas had he been a free agent at the end of last season. He has always had admirers at Red Bull, particularly Horner. They were not going to lose face by restoring Gasly so Perez was really the only option available. It's clear both Bottas and Gasly are better drivers than Perez, certainly more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What about this season? Is there statistical data available that shows him "miles slower" than Vettel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Doesn't look like a massive gap between the two of them.

For the pink Mercedes was always a difficult year as Daddy Strolls investment will take time to show effect.

This rumour is becoming the new "Ferrari are going to launch a new break away series". Eddie Jordan was once adamant that Daimler-Benz were walking away once Petronas pulled out because the Malaysian GP was off the calendar and that Wolff was going to do a Brawn job on the team. It reignited when McLaren switched back to MB power units that the works team deal was back on as the parent company wound up the Brackley operation. While the ownership structure has changed Mercedes-Benz haven’t gone anywhere and McLaren barely acknowledge that they are running on MB power.

Ms

This day 12 years ago was a Sunday and it was the day that this happened?

It was his turn and hopefully at the end of this season another page will be turned and we will have another new WDC Champion in Max. I think having Max on the grid as a WDC champion next year will make it all the more exciting alongside Lewis and Alonso and it will still be the same as this year seen as Kimi is retiring.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah yeah but his teammate is new. I though it was agreed that it took much longer than expected for the drivers who switched teams to settle in this year. Sainz settled in quickly, the rest didn't. He had the better of Vettel in the first few races but they have had a topsy-turvy season. Vettel has had 2 exceptionally lucky races where he found himself on the podium and with some extra luck, could have won them! But he has been consistently inconsistent this year. Stroll has failed to get out of Q1 a few times this year too! They're both pretty poor and Strol is still behind (because Vettel has scored 2 very unlikely podiums) even after being faster in the first few races.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Lawrence Stroll seems determined to turn that team into a winning outfit though. He said as much in the podcast interview he did on the F1 YouTube channel. With all the money he’s pouring into it and the new facility they are building it seems he’s prepared to play the long game. At the moment though he has one ageing driver who appears long past his best and his son who has improved but just never looks fast in the same way that the likes of Russell or Norris do. Realistically if Lance’s seat is guaranteed it’s going to hold them back, even if he continues to improve.

Yeah they'll always be fighting with one hand behind their back if they always want Lance to be their top driver. They'd want a seriously dominant car to carry Lance to a championship.

But, as you say, they're pumping in a seriously lot of money and the facilities will surely help them in the years to come. These things take time to bed in though. It will take a few years yet to bring everything together even if things go relatively to plan.

Lance could always be kicked upstairs to a management role if they become serious title contenders and need a top driver.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Self made billionaires don't tend to be idiots though. I listened to that Beyond the Grid interview with Lawrence and I'm not convinced this is going to work out the same way as McLaren have in the last 5 years. The interview feels like it was heavily vetted before being allowed to be conducted.

Lance isn't world champion material but he might have a race win or two in him if he turns up and the circumstances align like they nearly did in Turkey last year.

Yeah he might have been ruthless and efficient in his core business thst made him wealthy, but he's treating F1 as a toy for his son and himself - for now while the investment ramps up. If he were being ruthless with his team then he probably wouldn't have hired Lance, and he certainly wouldn't keep him.

But this is a building phase, so there's no point getting the best drivers now as they don't have the car to make it worth their while. Instead they have a journeyman and an over-the-hill former world champion. That's fine for now.

Motorsport.com: Petronas committed to Mercedes F1 team, Aramco rumours dismissed.

Petronas issued a statement committing to the long term future with mercedes. We'll just have to wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rumours were strong enough that they had to release a statement!

• Advertisement
    Ms

Looking back over the years of F1 its strange to see we had a 7time WDC then it went back for a while with Alonso as a two time WDC and then Kimi in 2007 as a 1 time WDC as well as Lewis for a bit and Jenson as a 1 time WDC but then we got Vettel as 4 time WDC in a row as well and then Lewis got back to winning 2 in a row and then 4 after Rosberg broke his run of WDC wins in 2016 thankfully to stop it being 6 in a row. We all thank you Nico Rosberg just wish you would have stayed on in 2017.

Anyway the reason I brought all that up is just to say that Micheal Schumacher is still the GOAT. Why YOU MAY ASK.

Well Micheal Schumacher is and always will be the GOAT because he won 5 WDCs in a row and that is where the real Champions excel. Hamilton has done well yes but he has only ever won 4 WDCs in a row and hopefully that's all he will ever win in a row so Micheal Schumacher will remain the GOAT.

Yes you can quote all the numbers you want about how Lewis has won 100GPs etc but there is more races per season now than there was in Micheals time. I am sure if he had of been in his prime and had as many races as Lewis has had in the best car the Schumachers GP wins would have been over 100 so the target for Lewis would have been higher.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

There are so many things to judge the "GOAT" on, winning X amount of championships in a row wouldn't be at the top for me.

I mean, if Lewis wins this season he's won 7 of the last 8... Even with the break, that's incredible.

I don't like Lewis, but there's no doubting he's a fantastic driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

For me Schumacher is the GOAT! No ifs or buts! Lewis is without doubt a fantastic driver but let’s not escape the fact he won 6 of his 7 in a car so dominant the only question was how far ahead he’d be by the end of lap 1.

I don’t think I’m alone in thinking any of Vettel/Alonso/Riccardo (and LeC/Max if they’d been around long enough) would have won 4 or 5 of the last 6 if they were in the same car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

The massive gulf in difference between Schumacher and Hamilton is that Schumacher did win titles in the best car, but he also regularly showed himself to be comfortably the best driver on the grid in some really awful cars too. He won the title in a Benetton that could barely get into the top ten in the hands of other drivers. He fought championship battles in early Ferraris that were nowhere near the podium in the hands of other drivers. Then when Ferrari finally came out with a decent car he dominated, and continued to dominate even as the FIA did everything they could to keep changing up the technical rules to mix things up. He completely destroyed every teammate he ever had, including some great drivers like Massa and Barrichello who later fought for world championships in their own right.

On the other hand Hamilton didn't stand out without the best car on the grid. He was outscored by Button as teammate. He was beaten to a title by Rosberg as teammate. His mistakes landed him equal on points with Alonso despite Ron Dennis openly admitting the team were trying to stop Alonso beating him. The only teammates he's actually consistently beaten in his whole career are Kovalainen and Bottas, both of whom could do no better than joining back of the grid teams afterwards. When the McLaren was regularly one of the best cars, Hamilton just never got the most out of it the way Vettel did with the Red Bull and Alonso did with the Ferrari, and was in so many incidents with guys like Massa and Webber due to his poor racecraft.

Then finally he landed the Mercedes drive, who had been lobbying hard behind the scenes for the hybrid formula they'd been preparing an engine for for years. Once that engine was introduced the team had a huge advantage beyond anything Ferrari ever had, yet he still failed to consistently beat an average driver like Rosberg and lost one of the titles, but once Bottas was in place as a subservient teammate it was basically impossible to lose.

To sum up, Ferrari wouldn't have won those titles without Schumacher. Without him winning races and fighting for titles in some utterly dire cars, they wouldn't have attracted the sponsorship and technical staff to build up a title winning operation. And even in their title winning years, at least a couple of those were not in the clear best car and Schumacher had to work very hard for them. As for Mercedes, they'd have easily won the same number of titles without Hamilton. Their dominance of the hybrid era was already baked in before he joined them. Three quarters of the drivers on the grid would have as many titles as him in the same circumstance, a good few of them would have won more than him as they'd never have lost to Rosberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The Schumacher/Ferrari combo was one of the Goats, but to say Schumacher was the greatest ever driver alone to drive in F1 is very naive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Schumachers decision to go to Ferrari when they were in the state they were, over McLaren who were openly approaching him, says it all to me. He wanted the challenge to make Ferrari into the team they should have been. He chose the very tough, unwalled path, and the rest is history.

They've made some nice changes to Abu Dhabi. Stupid chicane before hairpin is gone with hairpin moved up the track away from the grandstand. Had it somewhere in my mind I'd read about it before but they're also widening the last couple of corners and getting rid of the chicaney thing at the end of the 2nd back straight, replacing it with a sweeping banked turn. Can't imagine that'll help overtaking but the change to the hairpin should make it a potential overtaking spot as well as allowing people to close up for DRS down the first back straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

This is the key one for me. To go to a team who'd gone so far backwards and help build it into what it became stands alone as what separates him from the others. I've no doubt he could have probably picked up two more championships in 96 and 97 had he stayed with Benneton. It's hard to argue that he didn't win any world championship in anything other than the best car, but it's about how he got there.

The biggest knock I have on Hamilton is that he hasn't won more given the cars he's driven. Arguably should have won in 07 with the full backing of the team, the hijinks that were going on with Alonso's car at the end of the year and that awful mistake in China. I'd give him a pass for this as it was his first year, but that McLaren was much better than the Ferrari that year. And of course 2016.

Ms

How cool is this? Its just a pity its missing Coulthard and Webber too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement