Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I can see Hobbs beating OC and Kingston beating Archer, beyond that the tournament seems like an inevitable Bryan win.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

The inner circle vs American top team is the drizzling **** and worst angle of the year.

Need to end this ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well then you best get in contact with Tony Khan so, and voice your opposition to it. I'm sure he'll absolutely value your feedback.

Or just ya know mute or skip their segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

You could have Danielson beat Mix, then complete the Mox heel turn by having him cost Danielson the title in his match with Page, at say the TBS debut episode of Dynamite. That might all be a bit too obvious though.

That leaked Full Gear card looks pretty accurate based on what we saw this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm assuming Mox as you don't want your new face champion (assuming Page wins) to be up against Danielson in his first defence. Heel Moxley (already gotten booed against Page which not sure Danielson will) works and I'd imagine it'll be the Winter is Coming show if they redo that, and if not, UBS Arena with the attendance they'll get would be a good place to do it aswell.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed both shows this weekend.

Don't like to see inner circle back as a group again though. They've just never clicked with me and I usually hate their promos/segments. I like Santana and Ortiz though and would prefer them going off by themselves.

I'd love to see Paige Vanzant properly train for pro wrestling and join AEW. Think she'd be great.

Punk had some great lines and I enjoy it anytime he's on commentary.

Dustin Rhodes was a real random name for the tournament. This is what I want from the Danielson signing though. Just him wrestling different names each week. You could probably get 2 years of TV out of him just wrestling different people each week with the roster AEW have.

That Full gear card that was leaked is looking pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Is the Inner Circle/ATT stuff really the worst angle of the year? I dunno if it's even the worst angle in AEW this year tbh.

Obviously WWE is for kids but the clips I saw of Alexa and Lily's antics against their opponents seemed particularly juvenile, that would get my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

No, in short. It's not my favourite angle by any means but I don't hate it. I think as I said before it would benefit from ATT being seen to be a bit more serious about it and less just playing up to the cameras as the pantomime villains. Paige Van Zant especially.

Omega vs Vikingo is going to be sick, hopefully leads to an AEW appearance for Vikingo at some stgae, he's class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Alarm bells have obviously been ringing already if you're following the leaked fast nationals from WWE and then the stacked Smackdown lineup with a commercial free Sasha/Becky main event was proof, if you needed it, about what WWE thinks of AEW in terms of competition.

Both shows did a 0.24 in the demo.

A regular Rampage, a loaded Smackdown. Smackdown, as expected, big winner in the overall viewership, but the demo being a tie must go down as one of the big rating success stories in AEW history. That is insane. It should not happen, it should not happen this early, it should not happen ever with the lead WWE had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Whatever side you support or if you're pretty much in the middle like myself. It's pretty awesome to have two wrestling companies competing for viewers like this, I'm of a rising tide raises all boats philosophy. If it means we get stuff like Suzuki/Danielson and Becky/Banks then long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW won the head to head half hour according Keller,

Punk vs Sydal & Soho vs The Bunny out drew Becky vs Sasha & the Roman/Brock contract signing.

The Buy IN is closing in on 1 million viewers on the official YouTube channel as well after a couple days being up.

Funniest part is Ruby Vs Bunny tied in the demo with Roman Vs Brock despite having an ad break and being head to head. With the crap Roman said, I find that hilarious.

Acknowledge the Bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The switch NXT is compete against AEW and they kill off NXT.

Now the try with Smackdown and WWE fail in that too.

Tony is going up against the big bad WWE and standing his own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't get that chant. It does sound like they're just chanting "Cowboy's s#!t!"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Page wasn't saying "Cowboy shít!" then yeah, it would sound like that but it's his catchphrase so everyone knows what's being said.

The funny thing is AEW stayed away from competing with the WWE and Vince who publicly states that AEW is not competition moves his shows starting with NXT to compete and try and kill off AEW and it looks to be back firing.

When the next round of bidding for wrestling comes up be it cable or streaming they will look at those 18 - 49 demos and say we need to be putting our ads on TNT not USA.

Smackdown only drawing an average of 2m a week on free TV also must be a huge disappointment to FOX and I can't see them throwing the same kind of billions to keep it when it's contract it up.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That’s a wild story and might be the best headline of 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I always said The Bunny was money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

On the ratings thing - it's impressive that Rampage actually increased it's overall from last week given the competition. That said, the previous Rampage was the lowest of it's run, so there is a caveat.

You'd wonder how much crossover there is between AEW fans and WWE viewers - on the surface you'd assume loads, but if I remember correctly, there was a large cohort of WCW viewers who just stopped watching wrestling when WCW ceased, and didn't transfer across to WWE as you might assume?

If I take my own experience.... I'd have watched WWE since the mid-nineties, and hardly missed a Raw or Smackdown for 20 years, up until the last few years when I gradually drifted away. I haven't watched regularly in a couple of years now, with Becky's 'The Man' run being the last thing that got me interested. Recently I tried an episode of Raw and SmackDown but lasted 1-2 segments before turning it off. I'm just no longer interested in how they present wrestling. WWE could put on Brock Lesnar versus Roman Reigns and I would genuinely rather watch Shawn Spears versus Matt Sydal in AEW.

Saturday Night Dynamite drew 727k and finished 9th on the night behind 2 MBL games and 7 College football games.

The rest of the top 20 shows were MLB or College football except for Rhodes to the Top with 508k finished 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Davy05

Nearly hour long interview in which MJF masterfully stays in character for the duration. Insane that he's only 25 years old and is this damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He's so **** good.

That was a brilliant watch

There's a bit before that as he's waiting around for that interview, and he goes on to another show being aired and absolutely roasts the host, and the host has no idea who he is.

https://youtu.be/JLn7qfcLZzc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Has ratings talk always been a big part of wrestling fandom? I find it so tedious, and it makes me cringe when wrestlers refer to them on air (Demo-God etc.). Beyond wanting AEW to do well and stay alive I could not give a **** how many people watch my preferred underpants playfighting, or whether it's more popular than other forms of underpants playfighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Probably has, but wasn't as easily or readily available to everyone during the Monday Night Wars.

Of course this wouldn't even be happening had WWE just placated Cody's request to dump the Stardust gimmick. But they didn't, and well here we are with a genuine alternative.

• Advertisement

Ratings have always been a part of wrestling and more so since Vince started buying up the territories and going national with his tv show and making him enough money to keep expanding and growing as a company and ratings are the reason the WWE now have multi billion dollar deals with USA and FOX. The reason those companies pay billions to the WWE is because the are making billions themselves from the advertisers that pay to be on WWE programming and the target audience for those advertisers is the 18-49 age range who spend multi billions on those advertisers products.

A good part of the reasons Vince wasn't making money when he was losing the monday night wars is because advertisers were putting their money on WCW shows and not WWE's because that's where the 18-49 demo were.

Advertisement