Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - Online shopping for the first time

• 18-10-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Is it difficult to shop online for the first time using an AIB debit card? ( E.g. Amazon) Is the AIB banking mobile app involved in same?

Thank you.

Comments

Nope it's not difficult at all. You just need the details on your debit card (the long number on the front, the date of expiry, and the CVV code, which is the last three digits in the number on the back of the card). In some cases, Visa might require an additional check (for example, sending you a text message), but the website you're buying from will lead you through anything it needs you to do.

I don't know if it's still a thing, but previously you needed to use your debit card in an ATM to activate it before you use it online. This is just a once-off thing to make sure no one's intercepted your card in the post (because it proves that whoever has the card also has the PIN).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And in some cases, the authentication text message won't arrive, or the AIB app won't realise it's needed, and then you can't make your purchase. Hooray for two-factor authentication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Speaking of the two factor authentication, I got a code from AIB via post, to input into the AIB banking app. Does this allow for making purchases online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭beachhead

Don't have AIB but I imagine the code you received is part of the verification process for you personally.It probably links all your personal details with the app.It should mean you are ready to go online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

• Advertisement
Advertisement