Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I assume the previous comment was in relation to the lack of interconnection, the poorly Winter-proofed generators and other factors that led to last winters massive multi-day load shedding event and Texas being under 10 seconds away from a black-start event.

Not that Ca is much better. I mean, it would be great if the utilities would spend a few dollars fixing old equipment so it doesn’t start any more fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That's pretty impressive. I didn't know that Texas produces the same order of magnitude renewable energy as CA does. One fact pops out from EIA data. You are in a small minority of people who have small scale solar in TX. CA has about 10 times as much rooftop solar (but smaller utility scale). This is strange if as you say TX makes it easier than CA to install rooftop solar.

PG&E is a complete mess and a poster child of unregulated capitalism. Short-termism to the extreme and no planning or investment for the future because the US economic system makes it irrational to do so. Rather let 100 year old power lines stay in place and then pay the fines when they cause a fire because it is cheaper than proactively replacing them. And this after the highest electricity costs in the country. The state should just take over PG&E and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well even a few metres of hieght difference gives you a lot of potential power, and the incline doesn't matter. For example where I live (Swords) isn't a hilly area, but there's a 60 metre height difference to sea level, and Malahide estuary is just down the road. That height difference would give you plenty of power

We do have a lot of lakes and rivers, some of which already have dams. What other coutries have done with these is to add pumping stations downriver which can refill the lake when there's excess electricity, effectively turning the whole thing into one big pumped hydro. There's also the added advantage of better control of water resources and flood defenses.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Looks like EasyGo just got handed the chequebook, I wonder will our gallant government match the funding like they did with the ESB?

Good news overall I'd say, we need some real competition in the charging space. Hopefully EasyGo use the funding to get into the HPC market at motorway services, instead of installing 22kW units in Lidls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Could you imagine what they could do if the Government matched the investment? A combined €30M could go a long way with an interested and motivated company like EasyGo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I believe they are going the 50kW DC route, with some 75kW units, but to have them everywhere.. (see Supervalu & Eir Phonebox announcements).

So if they get this right, they could be a big factor in convincing people to go EV.....

If you live in an apartment, and are thinking about going EV, do you want to go to your grocery store and see an AC22, or do you want to go and see a few 50kW DC chargers? or if your down the country in your holiday rental, are you going to Tesco with its AC plug, or are you going to SuperValu because there's a 50kW DC unit there.

Let eCars have the route networks (but just bloody do it already!!!), and let EasyGo handle the local needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Hi, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place and feel free to move if needed.

It'll be a year or 2 yet but I've been thinking that my 1.6l diesel will need upgrading and with 3 kids, I was thinking an SUV might be the way to go. To help the environment I thought it's probably time to start looking at electric cars. The electric SUVS that seem to be available in Ireland look (limited enough research mind!) a bit on the small size, nothing say as big as a Kodiaq or Peugeot 5008 for example. For exampe the Id4 of Skodas model (name escapes me) I'm just wondering is this the way electric SUVs are going to be or will the technology catch up to allow efficient large SUVs (granted this might be contradicting the environment issue). Tho I have seen the electric mini vans but wouldnt be the most stylish! Just a q if anyone can help. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

The Skoda you're talking about is the Enyaq. I would definitely test drive the Enyaq if you can. Generally EVs can be a bit roomier Interior wise because all the batteries are under the floor and no Drivetrain. This means more footroom and because the Electric Motors take up far less space than ICEs and all that comes with, The vast Majority of the length of the car is dedicated to Cabin Space.

The Skoda Enyaq has the roomiest boot in the class. The Hyundai Ioniq is so spacious in the interior and the boot space is still excellent due to the 3m Wheel Axle to Axle length.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

All that money that they haven't been spent preparing equipment for events which happen once for a week in thirty years has been being spent on renewables which are used 364 days of the year. Being grid-isolated is one thing, but I can live with the lack of winterisation. Honestly, water was more of an issue, burst pipes caused a lot more damage and hardship to people.

The reason residential solar is less popular here in TX is that there's less incentive to switch to it. As I said, the standard electricity prices around here are very cheap. So what ends up happening is that you pay less for your install, but it takes you much longer to earn your money back. I looked into Solar when I was living in California, it would have taken 6-7 years before showing a 'profit'. but the upfront cost was much higher, not least because you needed to get a battery to get most use out of it. PG&E would give you peanuts in cash for your excess power, and charge you full rate. My local group, CPS (Actually a "semi-state" owned by the city) gives me full credit on a 1:1 basis for my generation making the battery mostly redundant. That knocked most of ten grand off the cost of installation to start with, before other cheaper costs like labor/installation. However, I don't expect to start earning a 'profit' for about 30 years. So, more people can afford their installations, but with cheap kilowatts coming out of the plug, more and more of which is green, and CPS also permits 'fractional ownership' of solar farms, only the folks with long-term plans are mounting panels on their roofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

There are a couple of 6-7 seater EVs out there, however in general they are very limited availibility

There's the Nissan ENV-200 Evalia, which can best be described as functional

Tesla Model X, if you win the euromillions

Mercedes EQV, or Citroen e-Spacetourer, if you're okay with vans

There's the VW ID.6 available in China. It's basically a bigger ID.4 with an extra row of seats. There's no definite plans to bring it to Europe yet

I've an ID.4 and it fits a baby seat and a fairly big kids booster seat no problem. There's no Isofix in the middle seat, but you can probably get a small booster seat in there. Or there's Isofox on the front seat if you get fed up of the kids fighting in the back seat

I'd say it's just big enough for 3 kids, but it might be a bit head wrecking if you're doing long journeys. However it does come with a partition net between the front and back. Doesn't do much for space but it could help with your mental health 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

In German only, recently opened "campus" between Stuttgart and Munich. Similar to Gridserve in Braintree, how long will it take for something like this to happen here, if ever?

some more detail

35kW 35ct kW/h

70kW 49ct kW/h

105kW 59ct kW/h

280kW 69ct kW/h

I really like the design of those chargers. The ones that hang down from the ceiling are genius, doesn't matter what way you park or where the charging port is

The ground mounted ones are really good as well, a lot less likely to be damaged by cars or someone leaving the plug on the ground

Minus points for needing an app, should be possible to just tap and pay, but I'm guessing the site is designed for plug and charge eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Up in north atm. Been out and about last two days and only seen 1 model 3 (Dub reg) and one etron while charging. Not even the ubiquitous original Leaf to be seen.

Compared to home, uptake seems very slow. Can’t say I blame them with the charging situation

On the school run yesterday (6km total), I saw 3 Model 3’s & 5 ID.4’s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Free charging...isn't it brilliant!! Had to go to dundrum today to do a few things. Park up, plug in and go and do my bits and pieces. Come back and I've added 30% to my battery....for free. That's roughly 120kms of free driving.

As part of its €20 million investment programme for 2022, it wants to add EV charging hubs, with at least three chargers, to its sites in Ballycoolin in Dublin, Mitchelstown in Co Cork and Castletroy in Limerick, as well as four sites in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ballycoolin is a good one but the mulhuddart site on the M3 would be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭bkeane

But Ballincoolin is beside a big ESB substation so cheaper to get a connection maybe?

The 1 thing going against the M3 Services in Mulhuddart is it's a bit of a ball ache to get back on the M3 outbound from it... other than that, it would be a great location for a hub of some sort.. Catch a lot of inbound traffic visiting Dublin, and a nice top up before hitting the M50/City..

I'd actually say Ballycoolin is the easiest to access from both directions. Mulhuddart is only really useful heading into the city, and a total PITA heading West

angry young man here....

"Hired gun for the luddites of mediocrity" has to be the quote of the year so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That time of the year again folks, those of us with Night Rate need to change charging times over the weekend, going to Winter time of 11pm to 8am

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Nah, my car is set to charge at 3am, and it’s always finished by about 7am…. Never have to worry about clocks changing!!!!!

also, just on this, does everyone actually schedule their car to charge at bang on midnight/11pm to coincide with the night rate starting? I’d say it puts an awful strain on the grid if you have thousands and thousands of cars all suddenly pulling 7kW at that exact same moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I've always just kept it in my head that night rates are between midnight and 8am. I lose an hour on one side but luckily it doesn't make a huge difference for me ye

"While the network will be open to the public, Stellantis customers will receive “exclusive conditions” that have yet to be set out. Installation is to begin before the year’s end in Italy. Stellantis does not disclose more information on the schedule and exact locations."

Might come here at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ah yes. Was in the back of my mind that was soon. I'll miss the early morning rush to get a wash and a tumble dry in before 9am. Always felt 9am was very late for what is an "off peak" rate. I kill charging at 7am here anyways. There'd be a potential for a perfect storm of car, washing machine, dryer, oven (mmmm scones) and a kettle to try trip the mains... again.

Advertisement