Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking on broken white line on 2 lane road & parking top heavy bike on uneven ground -noobish qs

Options
  • 04-10-2021 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

On the first one, obv talking about a fairly wide road, say a National Route, if the road is very wide would you (or more to the point An Garda Siochana!!) see any issue with overtaking along the white line (a couple of feet either side of it)? Fair enough you don't want oncoming traffic to have to re-adjust. Seems to me to be fairly safe as neither stream of traffic (cars) can consider overtaking, so you haven't the risk of someone pulling out in front of you, and you can always shove in if needs be - cars not that hard packed going at normal speeds.

On the other question, love the bike (V-Strom 650) but its a top heavy terror that wants the horizontal when not moving - I know there's using body weight to counter, back break tight turns etc, but tbh I'm thinking pull straight in, directly up the line of the slope & hop off. Man handle it later when leaving - which I can do...with care. I can pretty much flat foot it, but any dip in the ground if she leans to the low side its a monumental struggle not to drop it. There are crash bungs so its not a biggie if a drop...though obv best avoided. That sound like a plan, or should I practice practice?? I mean GS owners must have this figured, they look really heavy.

Post edited by Betsy Og on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

on your 1st point no unless the car infront moves in to leave you pass !! not worth the risk or fine and they are a solid white line for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First point. Yes guards can and would do you for that overtake. Just like a car the white line is the white line.

Second point , you may need to lower the seat? If you are just about flat footing it then you are on the cusp of the height. I have a vstrom the only spot id have trouble with its angle is if I pulled up alongside a sloping ditch other than that it's fine.

It is a heavy bike but it's incredibly nimble on the go. Do you practice slow maneuver often ? You might need to up your hours in a car park doing a thousand figure of eights. Skills enhancement

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Lets say it's a broken white line, so overtaking not prohibited as such, would that change anything? Jist I'm getting is that if can overtake without crossing the line then fine, otherwise only overtake if the oncoming lane is free - that about right? (p.s. I'd generally be fairly cagey...pardon the pun... so if you have a big wide road the oncoming traffic tends to be over a bit from the white line, same your side, plenty of a 'lane' up the middle).

On the parking, yes, need to do more figure of 8 stuff, smaller bikes were no prob, this yoke I'm wary (but agree it is v nimble once moving at all, couldn't fault it). It is those awkward slopes "gaps" near beaches, that type of thing - a 'real' carpark not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

For me no ,I'd sit behind until the way was clear to overtake safely , I've seen people do it a few times most of the time it been ok but there is always a risk of someone edging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If there's something coming in the opposite lane you're now lane splitting, because filtering is at low speed.

They can and will do you driving without due care being the most likely outcome.

You have no right to treat a single lane as two regardless of how you see it, if there's traffic in both lanes stay put, simple as.

Just practice, I can't flat foot my cbr and I'm just a hair under 5'11 but can get her around no bothers.

• Advertisement

Good sensible advice. There was another site I used to be on (remain nameless) where if I was brave enough to post that question I'd surely have gotten "Why aren't you doing a wheelie up the middle??!!, I mean are you on a bicycle??" 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

what is your definition of filtering? and why would you not filter if two lanes have traffic?

I have often dones this and gone past gards no bothers? maybe I am misunderstanding something in your response

Filtering usually means going between 2 lines of traffic (both going the same direction) that is stopped or barely moving (stop/start car traffic etc). Would probably also include scooting up past a single lane of stopped traffic to get to the top of a line of traffic stopped at lights. I've done this as "overtake" i.e. opposite lane clear, but sometimes a car appears on the opposite side (low speed turned into the lane from the lights) - no great issue I don't think presuming the lanes are wide enough to accomodate (if its not then dont go unless sure get to end).

Lane splitting is traffic going at normal speeds and you are weaving in and out or just steaming down the middle. On 2 lanes going the same way it would be fairly dangerous as cars switch lanes and may not see you - so if you're bombing it then....... On 2 lanes going in opposite directions with traffic on both, probably less dangerous going down the middle (would be no lane switching) - but still illegal due to higher speeds, somone could still veer about their lane, or you might be left with insufficient room up the middle (so would want to be a nice wide road). So, basically, speed is the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Yea I pretty much follow the same rules as yourself, I generally never lane split. If there is traffic at a standstill in my lane and nothing oncoming I would go if I can make it to the top and there is space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Law doesn't say you can't overtake on a white line - it says you musn't cross the white line. Can be an important distinction if the cars move a little to give you room to overtake without crossing the line. I actually had a guard stop me for the offence and when I pointed this out I 'got away' with a warning... Read what you will into that but my read was he realised a court appearance would not be a cut and dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A guard warning you for not breaking the law 😂

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement