Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is this the joke about how do you keep a fool in suspense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm just delighted I'm a white, straight male (cis I think I'm called these days, is that correct?) and can get on with my day in peace, do what I want to do. Everyone else seems to be looking around to find something to be outraged about something or other. It must be exhausting.

I'm not sure this whole LGBTQ stuff is in any way as big a part of people's everyday lives as it seems, I only encounter it on the Internet and as Dave himself said on the show, that's not a real place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's people getting offended on behalf others that is the problem, the "others" are usually lovely people who don't wish to cause a fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Exactly. 24/7 on the Internet but I think in the 'real world' people just want to get on with their lives. And for the most part, they do. It's when boredom sets in and the Internet gets involved the madness starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah I would agree it's people getting offended on behalf of others. Which I absolutely hate people like that. Moral crusaders. People who seek out to be offended.

@Buddy Bubs half of me agrees with you that in the real world no one gives a f**k and just wants get on with things. The other half thinks there are a lot of poncy and pretentious people out there. The type of love to put people in their place.

Dave Chapelle’s whole career has been based upon his being offended on behalf of other people, specifically black people in American society. It’s why he focuses on highlighting racial inequality and uses stereotypes to make his points through social commentary. Most of the time he does it through humour, but beneath the humour he’s making a serious point. Like when he made the special about the killing of George Floyd, or when he was talking about why he chose to do the Netflix specials. He couldn’t cancel Comedy Central or HBO, and when Netflix started streaming the Chapelle Show, he called them up and told them to stop because he was hurt.

He repaid them by agreeing to do the series of specials. He was obviously stuck for material so chose to highlight the fact that black people are treated lesser than the alphabet people, who had no quarrel with him whatsoever, until he started on them, and then claimed that they were coming for him, displaying a fairly shìtty victim complex in the process because people were offended by being the butt of his shìtty jokes.

There’s no question he tells a good story when he’s not trying to be funny -

You haven't a bulls notion of dave chappelles career if that first sentence is a serious position

Says you who tried to pull me up on my using the word negro in 2021, completely missing the point, and the reference?

If you say so.

You want to explain the point of that?

Because you havent

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

People who seek out to be offended.

It's really gotten worse over the last while.

Thread after thread on this platform at least started by people who can't help getting worked up by someone advocating on behalf of themselves or someone else. The difference between these people and those who they get worked up by, is one group is motivated on doing something to help others, somewhere, feel better, or be treated better, this other crowd is getting offended just for the sake of it. Well, it's not just for the sake of it probably, I think they're concerned a positive change in circumstances for someone else will automatically mean a negative change for them in some way.

Either way, they have become what they claim to hate. Or probably just revealed themselves more likely.

Is there a character limitation on the new site design I’m unaware of lads? Has it actually morphed from a discussion site into an even poorer substitute for Twitter?

I’ve not only heard of him, but I’ve been a fan of his art for as long as he’s been a mainstream comedian catering for a mainstream audience.

Now, as far as @[Deleted User] is concerned, and you I suppose, you’re both suggesting that I’m not familiar with his work, for reasons which you appear determined to keep a closely guarded secret known only to yourselves. That’s cool ‘n’ all, it means yiz are right, according to yereselves. I’m happy for ye to keep it that way.

@[Deleted User] the reason I used the reference was simple - it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to Chapelle’s making the point that the person responsible for upholding standards on the network had a blind spot when it came to racism. According to them it was permissible for Chapelle to use the word which is blanked out by the swear filter on Boards, because he’s black, whereas he wasn’t permitted to use the other word which is blanked out by the swear filter on Boards, because he’s not gay. He was making the point that he’s not what is commonly considered a racist slur among white people either, with the effect that he was pointing out the double standards of the network that they didn’t see his attitude as racist, but they were quick to point out his attitude as homophobic. He elaborated further on the same point in his latest special -

Chapelle said; 

“DaBaby was the number one streaming artist until a couple of weeks ago. He took a nasty spill on stage and said some wild stuff about the LGTBQ community during a concert in Florida. Now, you know even I go heard in the paint, but even I saw that s–t and was like ‘God damn, DaBaby!’. Ooohhh, he pushed the button, didn’t he? He pushed the button — punched the LGTBQ community right in the AIDS. Can’t do that. 

“But I do believe that the kid made a very egregious mistake, I will acknowledge that, but a lot of the LGBTQ community doesn’t know DaBaby’s history, he’s a wild guy. He once shot a n—a and killed him in Walmart. This is true, Google it: DaBaby shot and killed a n—a in Walmart in North Carolina… nothing bad happened to his career.

“In our country, you can shoot and kill a n—a, but you better not hurt a gay person’s feelings. And this is precisely the disparity that I wish to discuss.”

He was making the point that he made in the last paragraph above, and he was right, as evidenced by the fact that more people in American society were upset by his transphobic comments, than they were about the killing of a black man.

I figured that @John Doe1 being familiar with Chapelle’s work would get the reference and know that it was tongue-in-cheek, I was hardly subtle in making the point that John is neither black, nor American, so it was understandable that he wouldn’t get where Chapelle was coming from, Chapelle being both black, and American.

What I didn’t expect, is that anyone who claimed to be familiar with Chapelle’s work, and is championing Chapelle as a genius and all the rest of it while he peppers his monologues generously with the n-word, would find it astonishing, ASTONISHING, that a white guy would use the word negro - fine with the black guy being racist, but leaps over themselves to point out that the white guy is racist, while complaining about cancel culture and how quick people are to take offence on behalf of other people. @[Deleted User] I didn’t realise you were black or transgender, unless you’re white and not transgender and it’s fine with you when black people are racist and transphobic? According to @John Doe1 it’s a comedians role to attack sacred cows and apparently for a lot of posters here comedy is all about insulting every group in society as though they’re all of equal status.

We’re all aware that in reality every group in society isn’t of equal status, and that the most sacred cow of all is still white straight men who can’t laugh at themselves, but always see themselves as the victim if anyone who isn’t a white straight man takes aim at them for satirical purposes. That’s called punching up. What Dave Chapelle was doing in his latest special, and what anyone is doing by using people who are transgender as a vehicle for comedy, or to make a point about free speech, is punching down, and that’s just shìtty, low-grade, cheap and easy humour, nothing particularly clever about it, let alone genius. It’s setting a low bar for genius if that’s the best anyone can do.

Dave is good when he sticks to what he knows, and leave the jokes about people who are transgender, to people who are transgender. Some crackers below, but this is one of my favourites -

Ok

Two "oh arent i cute" and one six hundred word rambling post later you finally get to the point- its ok for you to use the word negro because dave chappelle uses nigga

Look- it isnt

And you know nothing about my views on any of the rest of it

Even after a six hundred word rambling post, you’re still missing the point that it isn’t permissible for a white guy to use the word negro, regardless of whether or not Dave Chapelle uses the word. You think I wasn’t aware of that? I’m as aware of that as Dave Chapelle is aware of the fact that people who are transgender aren’t to blame for the fact that American white society doesn’t give a shìt about black people.

It’s why I said from my very first post that Dave Chapelle isn’t transphobic, but the show definitely meets the criteria for what is considered transphobic, which is why I provided the definition of transphobia, so at least there was a commonly agreed standard by which an objective judgment could be made, regardless of people’s feelings one way or the other.

It’s fair enough I suppose to point out that I don’t know your views on any of the rest of it, but it doesn’t require a genius level intellect to figure out that it’s not unreasonable to deduce from the fact that you’re of the opinion that I’m unfamiliar with Dave Chapelle’s work, and that you were astonished I had the audacity the word negro in 2021, that your views of his work are quite different to mine. It’s ok though, because I have a black friend who thinks it’s hilarious, ‘no sacred cows’ and all that shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Christ mate, you are really taking all this very seriously.

It is very simple. Women are people who can have babies, female genitalia and an XX Chromosome. Trans Woman are something else. It is not all that controversial to state that fact.

Trans woman is to woman as Rachel Dolezal is to Black woman.

Also, why in the hell are are you using the term "Negro" ?

Just because you struggle with or don't like reading apparently, you should stop trying to dismiss someone who is genuinely making an effort to support their position.

Simplistic off the cuff are all well and good, but this is a very nuanced topic and OEJ is at least putting some thought in to their argument. Maybe we'd know more about your views if you put similar effort in to your content.

Ahh I’m really not taking it all that seriously at all John, because it makes absolute feckall difference to me personally however anyone wants to police language or however people refer to themselves, be it man, woman or child. The only people taking it seriously are the people who try to police other peoples language, and then play the victim when they can’t control how other people express themselves or they can’t control the fact that other people don’t give a shìt about the things that matter to them personally.

That whole paragraph deserves either the biggest round of applause or the biggest facepalm for it's intentional or unintentional use of irony

Arah im out, one that is in a typing contest and one breathlessly fangirling for them

Chapelle is and should be better than his recent material, is my line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Fair **** to him , he calls out all the bullshite and nonsense in the latest closer vid, I watched him for the first time ever when watching that the other nite and found him highly entertaining and a breath of fresh air … Someone not frightened to call out the latest constantly offended woke gobshite generation

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

Wasn't his best special, but worth a watch. The alphabet people need to grow a funny bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

watched it. fairly unexceptional imo, too much politics and rambling. 5/10.

the whole stage show thing must be a difficult format. to fill a whole hour is always going to be a strain, even for great comedians.

podcasts seem like a way easier format for getting the best out of comedians, they can talk with co-hosts and guests and pick out topics as it suits, more creative space.

less successful comedians podcasts have given me way more lulz than this special. if chappelle did a podcast/radio show no doubt it would be way funnier than his recent specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

Not all women can have babies? Are they not women?

Not all women are XX. Are they not women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some women can't have children due to medical conditions,

they are still women ,

Men who self identify as women are still men who just happen to be trans ,

The question posed in the opening post wasn’t whether or not Chapelle should be better than his recent material, it wasn’t asking what in anyone’s opinion does or doesn’t constitute a woman either. I’ve never requested a woman’s chromosome profile or demanded proof that she had the capacity to give birth before I regarded her as a woman, have you? That’s how stupid the idea sounds.

Objectively, the show was transphobic. If people are going to demand that everyone else adhere to facts and objective definitions, the show meets the criteria because it perpetuated prejudice against people who are transgender, and purposely so. That’s why it wasn’t as funny for me as it could have been too, because the whole show just came off as spiteful and bitter, as if Chapelle wanted to prove he has the influence to be a bigger dick than the people he was complaining about -

Towards the end of The Closer, Chappelle joked that he would no longer make jokes that target the LGBTQ+ community, saying, “I am not telling another joke about you until we are both sure that we are laughing together.

“I’m telling you, it’s done, I’m done talking about it,” he said. “All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people?” he said in reference to DaBaby and other Black celebrities such as Kevin Hart who have faced criticism for homophobic comments.

Nobody was punching down on “his people”, they criticised people for their shìtty comments about other people. They weren’t being criticised for being black any more than JK Rowling was criticised for being a woman. They were being criticised for behaving like dicks. Happens to anyone who behaves like a dick, regardless of their skin colour or sex or gender or anything else. Playing the victim means trying to elicit sympathy when people point out that you’re being a dick.

@[Deleted User] there’s no irony in what I said (unless you have your own definition of irony, which is entirely plausible). I’d challenge you to give an example of any time you can think of where I ever demanded that anyone had to agree with me, or where I ever got upset and behaved like a petulant child when they didn’t. You won’t be able to find any, but if you look at the post I was responding to where @John Doe1 is telling me what a woman is, I didn’t ask John what a woman is, and I didn’t care for being told what a woman is either, because I don’t care for what anyone else thinks a woman is, not you, not John, and not Dave Chapelle. That’s what I mean when I say I have no interest in policing other people’s language or how they express themselves. When was the last time you requested a woman’s chromosome profile or proof she has the capacity to give birth, before you regarded her as a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A summation of the argument that not agreeing with them is witerawy violence against trans-peoplekin

This whole "punching up/down" bollocks is hilarious.

Either everyone is ok to be joked about or nobody is. That's equality.

No such thing as bullying if that's the case the dunne, sure it's all just banter and horseplay amongst friends.

Things aren't always easily put in to boxes, no matter how easy it would make things if they were.

• Advertisement

Fair point.

To me, the whole premise of punching up/down could just as easily be classed as bullying, insulting and condescending.

If you believe that any group of people are too "marginalised" for others who you deem more "privileged" , then you are pre-judging and stereotyping two groups and I've seen the phrase used too often to simply shut down jokes they don't like.

It sounds more like a BS excuse to be a dick tbh, and to play the victim when people tell you your jokes are shìt. The whole point of satire and observational comedy is to mock people in power, not to take pot shots at easy targets who don’t have anything like the power and influence that celebrities and politicians or even political movements have.

The whole reason it works is because it’s not ok to make jokes about people in power, they’re expected to be respected, rather than mocked. Mocking people with no power is just shìtty behaviour. Some people think that’s funny, but trying to hide behind equality as though everyone is actually treated as equals in society, especially in American society, is bullshìt.

I’d make allowances for someone who is autistic, that they don’t get nuance and satire, but someone who isn’t? They’re just pretending to be stupid. There’s no hard and fast rule that says everything is ok to make jokes about or nothing is, and people don’t have to accept that sort of bullshìt. It doesn’t excuse anyone being a dick, nor does it immunise them from criticism.

To give you an example, Succession is a satirical dark comedy based upon the Murdoch family and their influence in the media industry. ATN is like Fox News, known for peddling bullshìt. A headline like this wouldn’t look out of place on their news channel -

Obvious shìt about comparing periods to impossible burgers beet juice? That’s not funny, it’s just obvious, well below Dave Chapelle’s usual form. It’s why when he made the joke about “the alphabet people”, that was funny, because it was mocking the in-fighting and politics that goes on in a so-called “community”. It was using exaggerated stereotypes to point out that the stereotypes are bullshìt (six minutes in) -

Nobody seeks permission to make jokes about others, let’s not pretend anyone is or isn’t “allowed” to make fun of other people. They do it anyway, but getting pissy because people point out your jokes are shìt? That’s on you, the person telling the joke, it’s not the responsibility of people who are offended by your shìt.

Netflix don’t care either way, they’re making money off the whole thing the same way as they make money off documentaries like Disclosure, where people who are transgender were pointing out how they are already discriminated against in society because of the fact that they are transgender. That’s why your equality nonsense is bullshìt. You’re well aware of the discrepancies in how people are treated based upon their race, gender, sex and sexual orientation in American society.

Your usual word salad there OEJ.

Satire is not, and should not, be reserved for people in power. That's just a definition you created to suit your argument.

Humour is subjective and just because you think a joke is ****, that doesn't make it so. It takes a special type of arrogance to think you should be allowed dictate what is funny and acceptable and what is **** and offensive.

But if you think that the pushback chapelle is getting is just people pointing out that his jokes are ****, then you are deluded.

You ignored the fact that I didn’t say satire is reserved for people in power. I said the point of satire, is to mock people in power, as opposed to taking pot shots at easy targets. It’s not just a definition I created to suit my argument, it’s what satire actually means -

I didn’t argue about whether humour is subjective or not either, you’re accusing me of making things up to suit my argument, but what have you just done? Humour is subjective, so I’m entitled to think a joke is shìt in the same way as you or anyone else is entitled to think it’s hilarious. Humour is subjective, but that doesn’t mean anyone can’t say a joke is shìt.

It certainly does take a special sort of arrogance to imagine you can declare anything for anyone else, and yet that’s what you’re doing when you declare that anyone else can’t identify themselves however they wish, because you think you have the authority to tell them what they are or they aren’t, or how they should or shouldn’t feel just because of your own feelings about Dave Chapelle or whatever other political or social ideological movement you find offensive or objectionable.

I know well why Chapelle is getting pushback - because he’s a multi-millionaire comedian who still makes out like he’s living in the projects and milking racism for all it’s worth, and it’s worth quite a lot, which is why he was begging his audience not to watch his show on Comedy Central, and instead watch his show on Netflix. Netflix are defending their investment, they couldn’t give a shìt about what Chapelle does or doesn’t say, he says whatever he wants, and some people lap it up like dogs because it’s appealing to their persecution complex that if any other groups in American society were to gain equal status with them, it’s taking something from them. There are plenty of people in American society who still think of black people, and people who are transgender, as beneath them, and that’s all this show gives legitimacy to. It doesn’t even promote your bullshìt about equality.

What Chapelle did isn’t brave, or satire, and that’s why for me it wasn’t funny. If comparing periods to vegan burgers is your thing, then sure, I can see how you’d find it hilarious altogether. Doesn’t mean it’s not just a low-brow pot shot at an easy target. That’s why people are pissed, because they didn’t do anything to deserve being shat upon from a height by Dave Chapelle, from a platform as big as Netflix. It’s not exactly a small audience like the school playground where jokes at that level are common as fcuk and you don’t have to pay anything to be an audience for them, and there’s nobody is going to tell special little you that your jokes are shìt.

The reason we’re unlikely to see any more Chapelle specials isn’t just because he’s worn out all the old tropes, it’s because it costs Netflix more to make the show, than the show brings in in revenue - hardly anyone has watched it, but Netflix can take the hit if it’s bringing in new subscribers and generating “diverse content” (read: content that gets peoples back’s up!). Netflix couldn’t care less about “promoting black and LGBT creators”, and I know you’re well aware of that, which is why your whole “equality” shtick just doesn’t wash.

Lol. My "equality shtick" doesn't wash with you because you believe that some groups shouldn't be laughed at or joked about. I don't believe that any group is immune from being joked about.

Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais etc made a career of saying outlandish and disgusting jokes. A joke about any subject or group can be incredibly dark, uncomfortable and offensive but still be extremely funny.

The punching up/down method of deciding what is acceptable and by whom is arguably more prejudicial, offensive and condescending than most jokes ever could be.

You are entitled to feel that way and write paragraph after paragraph and say definitively that you don't find it funny and that is fine. Plenty of other options for you out there.

But I do draw the line where at your cackhanded attempt to make out that telling a biological man that they are not the same as biological woman is arrogance.

Biology, unlike humour is not subjective.

@One eyed Jack The reason we’re unlikely to see any more Chapelle specials isn’t just because he’s worn out all the old tropes, it’s because it costs Netflix more to make the show, than the show brings in in revenue - hardly anyone has watched it, but Netflix can take the hit if it’s bringing in new .

Hardly anyone has watched it , seems millions Have watched and still rising , hundreds of thousands of views here considering it was one of the most watched shows here all last week ,

It's safe to say we will be seeing more Chapelle specials on Netflix ,

• Advertisement

Where’s “here” exactly, when what we’re talking about is Netflix, a global company?

Just to put it in perspective:

Dave Chapelle Special - Cost $24m Revenue $20m

Squid Game - Cost $20m Revenue $900m and counting

That’s what I mean when I say nobody is watching Dave Chapelle - by comparison, his specials made in the US aren’t nearly as popular on the platform as a show which was made in South Korea.

Figures come courtesy of the employee who was fired for leaking them to Bloomberg -

So after a 2 weeks they have more a less made their money back ,and it's going to be on Netflix for 12 months ,

Comparing to the biggest show currently on Streaming services ,oh look nobody is watching it ,

Nice try - but millions have watched it ,and a handful of complaints so much for outrage

20 million vs 900 million, that’s the only comparison I was making to make the point that by comparison, nobody is watching Dave Chapelle. That’s why I didn’t get your point about it being number one “here”, when Netflix is a global platform with over 200 million subscribers. I’m talking about the value they get for the content they produce. I’ve already said Netflix doesn’t care what Dave Chapelle does or doesn’t say, they only care about whether or not content generates revenue. It’s also fair to say that Dave Chapelle didn’t get as many people’s backs up as Netflix had hoped, but then it was no Cuties 🤨

Netflix needs to generate content which generates controversy which generates revenue. If there’s nobody watching and there’s nobody complaining, then someone’s not doing their job properly. If it can generate controversy for a lot less than it costs to produce content, jobs a good ‘un.

That’s why I didn’t care to mention the Netflix 1,000 staff “virtual walkout”, because apart from it being just fcuking downright bizarre, I know that Netflix doesn’t give a shìt.

Claiming nobody watched it is utterly false millions have watched it ,and a tiny few complaining about it and usually the people complaining haven't watched it , it was the the exact same story when JK Rowling released her last book ,it's transphobic ,it's bigoted , it's anti this and that ban the book and JK Rowling ,and guess the book was neither transphobic or bigoted but that didn't stop a small cohort claiming otherwise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Watched it. Didn't find it transphobic. Seemed to be a lot more "explaining" than in other comedy specials. The crudest joke was probably the paedophile one at the start, but that's not enough to trigger people into wanting to shut him down - like any slagging of "trans" lobby does.

• Advertisement

The trans movement, as opposed to the trans people themselves, is in fact very powerful indeed. It is driven by the US university system after all, at the centre of the World's hegemony.

That’s why I was putting those millions in perspective Gatling. It’s pointless just saying millions watched it when Netflix has 200 million subscribers and what they care about is not so much viewership, but the return on their investment. The whole idea of the shows being on the platform for the next 12 months, also means nothing. Netflix talks in terms of minutes watched, not months. 24 million people is nothing, it’s like ‘the small cohort’, or ‘the tiny number’ in terms of Netflix subscribers. I didn’t need to compare it to Squid Game btw, I was just using that as an example for the purposes of putting the figure of 24 million people in some sort of context. You’re trying to make out that “millions watched it” means something; it means nothing. Even being kind to you and looking at the figures, limiting it to October, limiting it to Ireland, the show doesn’t even come close to the top 10 -

It wasn’t a nice try on my part at all to diminish the millions of people that watched the show, hell I could even include all six specials and the result would still be the same - Netflix is prepared to take the hit and absorb the cost of what it calls “culture defining content”, and in terms of the Chapelle specials, it was a swing, and a miss, by a fairly wide margin. The original claim I made that it just wasn’t very popular and we’re unlikely to see more, still stands.

The tiny number of people championing it as if it’s in any way daring is evidence that they’re just out of touch with reality. I don’t expect that will stop the small cohort with a massive persecution complex from claiming otherwise, even though it’s obvious that 95% of them haven’t watched it. If they had, they’d be up in arms about Dave Chapelle conceding that ‘trans women are women’, and his ‘touching’ tribute at the end where he says that he’s set up a trust fund for his friends daughter, and when she’s 21 he’ll tell her that he knew her father, and ‘he was a wonderful woman’… 😂

everyone just needs to stfu, everything is shite ,get on with it...

I’m not gonna be obtuse and claim I don’t understand what you mean by the US university system being at the centre of the World’s hegemony - I know that 85% of their Universities are liberal leaning institutions, but I would simply suggest they aren’t at all powerful at all, they just make the most noise.

(the trans movement are only a small but noisy minority among the majority of noise makers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think US "liberals arts/social sciences" have shown how influential they are. Previously the ideas emanating from them could be dismissed as "ivory tower" stuff, divorced from regular mainstream life. But now, we are seeing the trans activists (minority with a tiny minority) platform, racial essentialism, and other ideas in common use in mainstream media and even workplace training.

As Andrew Sullivan (journalist, and once considered a gay activist) says, "we are all on campus now".

Andrew Sullivan: We All Live on Campus Now (nymag.com)

It's not transphobic.

I worry about people who complain about comic pieces like this.

It might be helpful if Andrew didn’t contradict himself within the same article - complaining largely about identity politics and how it favours identities over ideas, then ending his piece by focusing on identities over ideas -

The reason I don’t agree with this is because I believe ideas matter. When elite universities shift their entire worldview away from liberal education as we have long known it toward the imperatives of an identity-based “social justice” movement, the broader culture is in danger of drifting away from liberal democracy as well. If elites believe that the core truth of our society is a system of interlocking and oppressive power structures based around immutable characteristics like race or sex or sexual orientation, then sooner rather than later, this will be reflected in our culture at large.

————

As for objective reality, I was at an event earlier this week — not on a campus — when I made what I thought was the commonplace observation that Jim Crow laws no longer exist. Uncomprehending stares came back at me. What planet was I on? Not only does Jim Crow still exist, but slavery itself never went away! When I questioned this assertion by an African-American woman, I was told it was “not my place” to question her reality. After all, I’m white.

———

If there is a crisis, it is a continuing one for transgender women of color. Their lives are fraught with threats and danger. A report that sought to figure out how we can improve things for these most vulnerable people would be helpful. A report that hypes largely meaningless stats to assert a wave of politically motivated murders of gay people is not.

My point has always been that liberals and leftists made their bed, they complain about all these things now when they themselves are on the receiving end of the shìt that they were dishing out, and now they’re seeking sympathy from wider society by trying to portray themselves as “I’m one of you guys, and look what these people are doing to us”. It’s nothing liberals haven’t been trying to do for decades already, and it’s still pretty much contained within their own sphere. The majority of people in the US don’t give a fiddlers about “public discourse”, they don’t care for discourse full stop. They only care about things which they are directly affected by, so Andrew bemoaning the lot of ‘transgender women of colour’ while also complaining about an identity-based social justice movement, while complaining about being put back in his box by an ‘African-American’ woman, suggests that Andrew is trying desperately to play the victim, and trying to convince people that they’re all victims too, when in objective reality it’s just the manifestation of Andrew’s world view coming back to bite him in the arse. Nobody else is feeling butt-hurt by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

The funniest part of the show was the two big fat lesbians in the audience, one with blue hair, just shaking their heads no the whole show.

I dunno how anyone can claim it’s not transphobic when it perpetuates negative stereotypes and irrational fears of people who are transgender. That’s the very definition of transphobia, unless people who claim it’s not transphobic are working off a definition which suits themselves.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t parts of it are funny, like his ‘tribute’ to his friend at the end of the show, but most of it is just recycling the same old stereotypes that were never clever jokes in the first place, they were just obvious, low-hanging fruit type jokes about people who are transgender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My point has always been that liberals and leftists made their bed, they complain about all these things now when they themselves are on the receiving end of the shìt that they were dishing out, and now they’re seeking sympathy from wider society by trying to portray themselves as “I’m one of you guys, and look what these people are doing to us”. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Sullivan

Sullivan describes himself as a conservative and is the author of The Conservative Soul. He has supported a number of traditional libertarian positions, favouring limited government and opposing social interventionist measures such as affirmative action.[43] 

• Advertisement
Advertisement