Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

That is also a good idea, another could be if he goes well look at Frawley at 12, maybe having 2 play makers could limit the dependence for someone like Sexton at 10.

I’d get that if Sexton was 33 or something like that, not when he’s 36 and going to be 38 at the RWC.

we can plan for the future by at-least giving a second option good game time off the bench so they can learn the ropes and at the same time do what we can to prepare ourselves for the situation as best we can that Sexton may not be here in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

You never know what might happen. Murray made his debut in a warm up game in 2011. Ntamack only made his debut in 2019. Ford a year out from 2015.

One of Healy, H.Byrne or Crowley might come good. Tector might burst onto the scene. Frawley might develop into a 10. You just don't know.

There's only so much future planning you can do. One thing's for sure, sacrificing short term results in the blind hope that an average player becomes good enough isn't the answer. Build a settled, winning team with your best players, and if/when a good enough alternative emerges they'll be slotting into a cohesive team.

Things never turn out as terrible as you think they will. I understand the hysteria to an extent, but these things usually sort themselves out. The World Cup isn't for another 2 years. That's an awful long time. We'll be grand. Somebody will come good.

I don't see how ranting and raving hysterically on the internet about something that may or may not happen with the Irish rugby team in 2 years time helps anyone.

Because the previous two were the most relevant, if I went through every one of them I would be here all day. What they all have in common and is the Irish performance was gutless which is understandable because we take no risks and while highlight the problems we make no effort to fix it, we much rather hope the issue fix itself and then just moan about it after the fact.

You don’t but we seem to as we refuse to play anyone other than Sexton, further proof of my point that we aren’t resourceful.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It is not surprising at all that come RWC time, Ireland is not in the top 4 nations in the world.

• Advertisement

we refuse to play anyone other than Sexton

He was literally left out of the last squad!

What is wrong with you?

And you accuse me of not living in the real world

How can you be a test 10 when you haven’t played a test at 10? And of those 14 how many were a consecutive run of games in the shirt? That’s what’s required for a player to get up to scratch, not just sporadic chopping and changing.

The point is we won’t know if a player is up to par for test level until they get a consecutive run in the shirt, Ross Byrne has had 2 starts both of which were over a year apart. Joey started 3 test matches at 10 in the last 3 years (both against Italy and one against Japan)…that’s not going to teaching these players anything and it’s not going to give the players the opportunities they need to fight for the 10 shirt.

Because having only 1 ten ready to step up for a big match is bordering on insanity especially when that 10 will be 38 by the next World Cup and every game in the meantime at his current age could be his last, all it takes is potentially one injury.

What would have happened with Sheedy is he would be thrown to the wolves in a match, deemed immediately not good enough and never played again, the usual treatment of our 10s that aren’t Sexton.

The only other country I can think of that had the issues at 10 like we have is France in 2017 when they didn’t have a single 10 that would be considered top standard, they recognized this and over the next 2 years they took a risk and picked Jalibert at 10 when he had only 15 games for Bordeaux and the biggest of all was Ntamack in 2019 when he hadn’t even started a big game for Toulouse at 10 (played either 12 or 15), couldn’t even get ahead of Zack Holmes at Toulouse yet was starting for France in the 6N, Safe to say France are now reaping the benefits of this risk and they deserve it as they have the guts and balls that we can only dream of having. They knew they had a big issue and took a big risk to solve it, we have a big problem and our big risk is hope a 38 year old is fit and in form in 2 years which is laughable…If France were in our shoes they would back Harry and Ben knowing the potential upside could be huge.

The crop below Sexton have never been afforded to opportunity to challenge Sexton, we all know this will blow up in our faces in 2 years yet we choose to continue down this path…only in Ireland…would rather be cowardice and safe.

Harry and Ben need to be given a proper run in the Jersey, the Irish coaches have already screwed up in the development of Ross and Joey so need to not screw up on this occasion. If you play Ben for example this autumn he needs to start atleast one of the games and either him or Joey needs 10-15 minutes off the bench versus the ABs and other match, not 2-3 minutes but 10-15. You need to challenge these players to see where they stand, not too much (like the brain dead idea of throwing Ross Byrne into malfunctioning Irish side against England in Twickenham, Sexton looked worse when in the same position in 2020 but that’s glossed over as always) but just enough, I can see Healy having impact against a Japan and Argentina, it’s where he stands right now and then if he comes through the next step is to see can he step up versus a 6N side.

also even if Sexton is the starting 10 the alternative idea needs to be altering the game plan so we aren’t reliant on one 10 being fit. If we know that we have a weakness in a position maybe the idea is don’t build you’re entire game plan around that position, if you are SA or Scotland you know then all you have to do is injury Sexton and the whole game plan is out the window. For me there is no excuses from an Irish perspective if that happens, that’s just poor planning from the coaches and nothing else.

A land where building you’re game plan on a 38 year old being fit is not what works in the real world man…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Who would you start at 10? Put all your eggs in the Carbery basket when you know you can't rely on his fitness? Harry Byrne has the same issue.

You don't have to play a player to know they aren't a test level player. Carty, Ross have been around the squad for a long time. The manager sees them in training and knows what they give. Burns is around the squad now and is getting chances.

The reason for the chopping and changing is that none of these are good enough. Harry Byrne can't stay fit long enough to get a chance. So the only player who you could actually say to just throw in there is Healy.

Last year he couldn't get ahead of JJ in munster, this year there is a case to be made for him. Since the squad isn't even picked yet how about waiting to see if he makes it before complaining.

• Advertisement

Nobody is doing that.

I want to win games. You do that by, you know, playing your best team.

Not a difficult concept to get your head around. Although you seem to be struggling with it.

You want us to sacrifice winning games in the blind hope that an average player might magically become a good player in 2 years time.

Only one person here isn't living in the real world.

Anyway, you clearly have your mind made up, so I'm out. Maybe you'll get your wish and Ross Byrne will start against the ABs and in the 6N. And no doubt you'd be the first the call for the coach's head when results go accordingly.

But the difference is it’s clear Healy and Byrne have parts of their game that Ireland are crying out for, we have a nice run of games this autumn where we could test these guys in so it would be smart and brave for us to do this. Why leave it to the last minute, one thing all 3 countries have in common is they bombed out at the QF/PS. I agree o the future planning but but right now we have a very serious issue to solve at 10 that we simply can’t leave unresolved until 2023, I’m okay with leaving other positions like for instance Second Row for longer as we know we are strong there and we can just leave the players fight amongst themselves for the shirt in the meantime.

It doesn’t help but we don’t even give ourselves a chance to fix the problems.

We don’t prepare for RWC’s like a top 4 nation does so it’s understandable. Even the likes of Japan and Scotland in previous RWC’s looked more prepared for their QF than we were.

But again for essentially 1 game

We need to test our young players against decent opposition on a consistent basis, like against Argentina and Japan. 2 tier 1 nations in 3 weeks, perfect opportunity to give one of the options a run in the team, and in the 6N if Sexton starts 3/4 matches the alternative needs to be given 10-15 mins off the bench, not 2-3 mins. That way they learn how to chase a game or close out a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We're in big trouble at 10 imo. Carbery was the heir apparent and he's unfortunately gone backwards for various reasons (injury, Munster?), and imo none of R.Byrne, Burns, Carty are going to be the guy to step up and replace Sexton. Harry Byrne seems very talented but has barely had a run of games in his career and seems to get hurt just about every time he plays. Healy is a decent, solid player but again is he at that level, personally not sure.

Comes down to who fits the game plan better, the issue is if Sexton’s hip injury ends his career (hopefully not ofcourse) we will have no choice but to put our eggs in one of the other 10’s basket. While we still have control on the situation it would be best to back a 10 and prepare them just in case Sexton doesn’t make 2023 or is bang out of form.

The reason I like Healy for the position is he has a mentality similar to Sexton, absolutely nothing phases him and no matter the level so far he’s played at nothing has phased him, even against Quin’s when they broke his ribs he kept going and did take a backwards step.

You wouldn’t be able to asses if a 10 was good enough or not in the time given to the options so far, someone like Ross needs a run in the shirt, not 2 starts in 16 months. I remember when he came into the Irish team in 2018 (I know it was only Italy and USA) but it was noticeable when he was on the field he really stabilized the ship and Ireland actually improved when he came in. The issue is we have completely stifled his development by not giving him a run in the team and as a result we now have to cross off another 10 on the list. I worry we will do the same with Harry and Ben, they need TIME in the shirt and need to be allowed fail and make errors so they can learn from them, not be compared to Sexton straight away.

Think that was down to Munster conservatism more than anything, it was clear Ben was the better 10 when he was on the field. No coincidence once an experienced 10 returned JJ was off.

But a team that wins doesn’t build its whole game plan on a 38 year old being fit. It just gives Scotland and South Africa a target on how to make Ireland fall apart, just break Sextons leg and boom Ireland’s game plan is done.

Maybe if 10 is a problem position maybe build a gameplan that doesn’t require 1 specific 10 to be fit?

I won’t if the coach is taking risks, we have been stuck in conservatism in Irish rugby for decades and it does nothing but end in failure at the RWC and for us to have any chance of breaking that cycle we need to actually take risks or decisive action to resolve big problem instead of leaving the problem unresolved.

Well it comes down to two options. Are we going to A. Do nothing or B. Do something when it comes to fixing the problem? I quite frankly don’t care what problems are highlighted, what matters is what the hell are we going to do about it? The situation we are in is a direct result of poor planning and succession plans and now it’s time to change the script if we have any common sense.

Well there is only 1 way we will ever find out if Healy or H.Byrne are up to it, and that’s by playing them. I’ve no doubt they can step up against Argentina and Japan as it is quite modest opposition as far as tier 1 nations go. The challenge after that is can they step up for the 6N?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

I pity the player that's picked to stand in for Sexton, the analysis on his performance will be over kill just to prove the coach was wrong to pick him while leaving player X out.

The one thing most posters will agree on is we're in a tough spot when Sexton is not available and unfortunately time waits for no man so we're getting to the point where he will be permanently unavailable for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We get it. So can this please stop now? We don’t need another several pages of the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The point is we won’t know if a player is up to par for test level until they get a consecutive run in the shirt

On a fundamental level this is just so incredibly incorrect and where your view falls down spectacularly.

Ireland won’t be in a good way once sexton goes. I suspect we have a potential few rough seasons until an at least decent 10 comes along. This can happen unexpectedly at times though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Do people think that Andy Farrell is unaware of Sexton's age and injury profile?

No one would be happier for an alternative option to emerge at out-half but there just isn't one. You can give Ross Byrne or Jack Carty all the minutes in green you want, it won't make them good enough. They are deeply average players. I'd like to see a bit more of Burns but for now he's in that category too.

Carbery remains the only game in town. He's been pretty poor and a turnstile in defence but there's something there to work with at least.

Healy should not be in this conversation at all (yet). One game against a terrible Scarlets is no basis for anything. If putting rubbish Pro14 teams to the sword was a measure of anything, then Ross Byrne would have been the Lions out-half this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd like to see Michael Lowry be given a run for Ireland at out-half at some stage.

He has the best feet of any of the options, just electric whenever he gets on the ball, something about him makes me think he would even be better at the higher intensity level of test rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Lads, there's no point...

"grow a pair of balls"

"a team of losers (aka us)"

"pants pulled down in the end."

"and the Irish coaches balls have dropped"

"gutless and quite frankly cowardice"

"be brave or be soft"

"show some balls"

"proven me right"

"the media sucking Sextons cock"

"you’re a c*nt "

"another team with a pair of balls"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just for pig iron i did a little research this morning.

since andy farrell took over ireland have played 16 games... totalling 1280 minutes.

Johnny Sexton has played 857 of those minutes, and someone else has played 423 minutes.

so exactly 33% of available time has been given to "not johnny sexton" since Farrell took over.

maybe thats not enough time for some people, but personally i think thats loads of minutes for looking at other 10s to see what they can do at test level.

The fact they havent been able to claim that jersey over a 36 year old sexton says more about the players than anything to do with the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I asked a direct question of who you'd back and you avoided it. You say that Healy doesnt take a step back and gave his rib break as an example. We have different memories as my memory is that his form fell off after that last year and he seemed a lot more hesitant in defence.

It wasn't clear that Healy was the better 10. It was neck and neck and then Healy broke his ribs and went backwards, and JJ played well against Clermont and kept his place. And we havent stifled anyone, we are currently discussing 7 players for one position, these 7 players get regular game time across only 4 teams, one of these players is a clear head and shoulders above the others and so gets the majority of the time in green.

Its a tough position to fill. Whoever takes over from Sexton will be a worse player. We will suffer if we drop sexton now and just play another player for the sake of it. Its easy to use France as an example of what happens but France were awful for years before they finally made the brave decision.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he was about a foot taller and about 10kg heavier maybe.

Lowry is unfortunately just far too small. He'd get smashed in the tackle at test level and he'd be a turnstile in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This approach leads us to the exact same failures of previous world cups. Going into important games with 10s who have barely played for Ireland. Its so short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I say, if he gets more time there with Ulster, give him a go. If your fears prove correct (and I understand them), fair enough. I understand he was playing 10 and 15 in training with the Ireland squad durjng the summer. He's small, but brave, and unlike a number of our tens, has a good tackling technique. If he simply is too small, so be it, but give him the chance to prove otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think Healy is the immediate answer, but if you were 2 points down with 10 mins to go, his range would be a huge asset from the bench.

Advertisement