Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

You may have agreed with every word of it, but presenting a bizarre theory on the covid pass being a gateway to enforced digital currency is always going to be dismissed as a conspiracy theory unless some factual basis for the opinion can be presented. Thats the difference between alternative opinion and conspiracy theory, one is based on a rational assessment of facts reaching a different conclusion, the other is "but aliens"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The National Public Health Emergency Team has advised that existing restrictions on hospitality should stay in place for several months.

Public health has officially backed a winter of house parties from 11:30 to closing every night!

But the poster wasn't given a chance to provide evidence or say why he believed what he believed. It's a real shame because once something is relegated to the Conspiracy Theories' Forum that's the end of any discussion. Can't discuss anything there.

Anyway, I've said what I think. I think opinions should be discussed and debated. Give the poster a chance to explain what they mean. Don't dismiss it straight away as a 'conspiracy theory'.

This is interesting. It means if cabinet can't make a decision before Friday everything re-opens as planned... I wonder are any ministers looking at this as a possible route...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Good chance more and more people will abandon the rules anyway after this week, those that already haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As I posted in the main thread the article contradicts itself

If every pub in Dublin stays open till 2am, do the cops shut down every pub in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Some, like the study of 10 million out of China, or the study of a German outbreak last year, show no transmission from asymptomatic cases.

Yeah but these are anomalies in the scheme of studies on this. It's suspected that asymptomatic spread was seen as less in China because of high immunity in the population already. In essence they left it too late to assess. Here's an essay that discusses the contrary findings:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

An RTE article contradicting itself? Never... Sounds as bizarre as a government giving mixed messages... Oh... Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We will top 10k cases a day over Christmas if they get their way on this one

• Advertisement

Whilst you may be correct on their government in COVID terms they have almost nationwide backing of how they are proceeding at this stage (in England at least). I’ve said it here before that people have accepted it, it’s not going anywhere, we are all going to catch it at some point and very few people would consider it to be a mess who live there, they’re to busy enjoying relative normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

If they shut down one high profile pub, the rest will fall into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

It’s good to see that other than an indefinite mask mandate, continued social distancing, restrictions in the numbers in hospitality, and an expansion of the vaccine passport (which we all know is currently useless but gives the government the option to require boosters in the future) we’re completely back to normal on Friday! I was afraid that the “new normal” (read: abnormal) would involve a complete perversion of our society to protect a chronically unhealthy health service and the political careers of the politicians. /s

Seriously though, there’s nowhere to go from here. If we don’t go back to normal now, real normal, we never will. There’s no next step to take, nothing we can do to improve the situation further. We can all demonise anti-vaxxers until we’re blue in the face and feel justified but it’s not going to eradicate covid which increasingly seems to be the only acceptable option to NPHET. We literally had a choice between living under restrictions forever or getting on with it knowing that we cannot fully control the situation and the choice was made to keep the restrictions. This is probably the saddest day of this entire pandemic; the Ireland we knew is not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Haven't been following guidelines for months now personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Staggering that this is their idea, but like i said before, masks until Spring and even then I bet they don't remove the mandate.

Several more months, i.e. 2.5 years of this at that point in time. It's like a car crash on loop.

Ok here's a thought (just a thought) what if every pub in Dublin closed their doors, put all their staff on the PUP and refused to reopen until restrictions were eased?

What if every pub, restaurant, sports stadium, music venue and hotel in the country did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Everything at this stage should be personal choice. For me I have been wearing a masks when required but I am getting to the stage where I am just going to stop. Zero data on what if anything masks have done and zero data on if they have actually caused more harm then good especially in secondary schools where kids are trying to grow and create a personality among people their own age.

Covid certs haven't stopped numbers rising and so this is just a ploy to get people vaccinated and then boosted, and seems the data now indicates the transmission of the virus is similar amongst unvaccinated and vaccinated.

And as for social distancing, if the above restrictions work then why the need for social distancing, complete Joke.

Media and Opposition parties have been as bad as the government in all this. Looks like a winter of house partys and less money being pumped into the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Was over in England last weekend and it's just a different world. No masks on trains, no masks in shops, no Covid cert checks for pubs or nightclubs, just regular life. I'd forgotten what it was like but 3 days of it just made the situation over look so ridiculous in comparison.

Thing is I can absolutely stomach masks on public transport and even in shops, I absolutely think the use of Covid certs for hospitality is fine, and our vaccination uptake rate is so high and yet are they seriously going to tell us today that late pubs and nightclubs still cannot open? What is wrong with these people? How can seemingly every other place in Europe have this even with lower vaccination rates? Just how ludicrously bad is our health care system in comparison to the rest of Europe?

COVID certs and restrictions on numbers for nightclubs? Surely one or the other would make more sense? NPHET always give a bleak outlook, nothing new there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

The passport legislation is due to expire in January.

Another "just in case" extension on January 9th then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

At least in the Groundhog Day film the repetition happened by magic.

This one is caused clearly by cluelessness masquerading as 'expertise'.

"Listen to the experts."

My question now after this string of failures over 18 months: what experts?

The NHS, as bad as it is, is far more capable than the HSE. If we had anywhere near Englands case numbers there would be decisions made on who to save based on their ability to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nothing wrong with them as such, just the people making the decisions aren't effected by the remaining restrictions as they aren't the likely to be going to nightclubs or packed bars in the first place.

They're happy going to a quiet pub with no music and table service so they can have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is it only really nightclubs that remain closed now?

I'm fine with that, feels like we've back to normal life since the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looking like reopening proceeding albeit I'm getting a sense there will be so many T&C's attached it will be almost impossible for most night clubs to reopen. They've already made it clear anything less than 100% capacity is not sustainable.

Masks, Social distancing and covid certs rules/guidelines definitely continuing, how compliance checks will be done is a total mystery I'm guessing reading between the conflicting lines, bars will get their full hours and whatever restrictions left in restaurants apart from covid cert requirements will be removed.

Antigen Testing on the cards or will it be another "under consideration 🤔"

All hearsay at this stage 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Firstly, PUP is not open to new applicants any more, so the staff would have to claim Jobseekers.

You would never get all pubs to agree. Greed would soon out, and one would see an opportunity to clean up. Others would quickly follow, and we would be back to where we are now in no time.

Didn't realise the PUP was closed to new applicants but jobseekers would have the same effect...

I think if the various associations were to get together and make a joint statement to that effect it might change things but, as you say, greed will win out as it always does with the publicans

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

If they can't open this time, they will never be able to reopen, that's the reality. There is nothing else to wait for, are they hoping for cases to drop next summer, so they can reopen for a few months and close again every winter? After nearly 2 years, there is still no prevention and contingency plan. Just vaccinate, restrict and pray for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Can't see it. Too much money in selling drink. The publicans will go along with whatever is suggested imo.

Even music venues have no interest in opening for "cultural events" unless they can sell drink.

Advertisement