Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Doing my first install next week. Want to keep it as low as possible on the house wall. Will do a check for obstructions with the app, but just wondering it that accurate and will the dish tell you straight away if you have obstructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Download the starlink app and use the check for obstructions. Point it to the sky and its pretty accurate in terms of what area you need clear. Basically collect the green dots without buildings/trees in the way. It stays on 100% processing but just ignore that.

Once you have the dish connected itl take about 12 hrs before it tells you a clear picture of where you are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

The app can overstate obstacles but is a good guide. If feasible, try placing the antenna at different locations - for each move, stow it, turn power off and wait 20+ minutes before powering up again at new location.

Elaine Byrne in Business Post: We abandoned hope of connection, and signed up to satellite instead - Satellite broadband, from a growing number of providers, may be a quicker and better answer to rural Ireland’s offline woes than the National Broadband Plan.

https://www.businesspost.ie/politics-extra/elaine-byrne-we-abandoned-hope-of-connection-and-signed-up-to-satellite-instead-c15581a2

Anyone noticed very poor performance using Instagram or Facebook? Videos either stop playing half way through or just don't load at all.

Instagram is nearly unusable on Starlink for me, meanwhile loads instantly on my vdsl connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Must keep an eye on Elaine Byrne's column in the Business Post, she was very positive about it after only a few days connected.

Will satellite broadband bypass the need for the NBP in some areas of rural Ireland? The answer for this household in the Carlow countryside is absolutely yes.

We do not, and should not, have to wait any longer for high-speed broadband.

She mentioned in the piece that as more subscribers come on board the cost will come down. No indication from Starlink or Elon that this will happen and there is that expedition to Mars to be paid for...

It is more expensive than fibre broadband. The initial setup kit and delivery cost of Starlink is €500. The monthly broadband cost is €100, which is double that of current providers, though that will reduce in time as more subscriptions come on board. Instead of waiting for the state to deliver rural service, the private sector has stepped into the breach.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

She also decides to ignore that the more people who use it the less effective it will be. The "Imagine" effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Was in a rellys house at the weekend who have it.

They had it installed 2 weeks ago. They said gaming is impossible on it.

We did a few speed tests. Clear sky to the South. WQired directly into the starlink router.

Speeds anything betwiin 75mbps and 200mpbs which is fine. Upload speeds aboiut 30 all the time.

Latency and packet loss are allover the place though.

Pings 40 to 120 with a fair few spikes. Packet loss anything from 0 to 6%.

Its funny because the reports of the quality in this thread were better than that.

Cell capacity limitations also, seeing over on Reddit orders being pushed into 2022 or beyond

I still have mine in the garden but played some fifa on it. Definitely not as good as my vdsl ping but I was averaging around 40ms - 50ms. When I get set up properly I plan to test more extensively. And I'm pretty competitive FIFA player so will be able to give a good review.

And this was using the xbox wireless - so Definitely usable.

Its woeful for using any Facebook service for some reason though and the router is very poor in terms of range.

Il put it this way, an excellent mid term solution while we wait for NBI but anyone suggesting it as an alternative is just wrong.

And the monthly price of 100 euro is horrendously expensive. My neighbour eown the road has 500Mb FTTH for 35 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Jaysus there's almost no way I'd be dropping VDSL for anything wireless, whats the story there?

By the time I moved from college the VDSL ping had dropped to 8ms to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting wonder of it's ping related . The likes of Instagram and FB now seem to eat up bandwidth there's days though.

Vdsl is terrible as its distance based. Any additional bandwidth, streaming, downloads would kill the net. I was getting max 14 down and 1.6 up but it became unusable if another device was downloading/uploading.

Starlink is streets ahead of it in that regard, 240 down, 30 up - 4k stream, downloads/uploads all able to run at the same time without issue. Workwise its light and day for me now.

If your only reason to want decent internet is ping, then Starlink definitely isn't for you.

The reality is that Starlink is, for many/most in rural areas, here NOW whereas NBI fibre is jam tomorrow (5 yrs) for many rural areas. If you are rearing kids or want to run a micro-biz you are not going stop the process till 2026. Starlink is admittedly not cheap but its current performance** comfortably exceeds the performance needs of most households and even EU min requirements for 2025 (>100 Mbps DL). No account is taken of the potential of Starlink in terms of possible price reductions or performance improvements with the introduction of inter sat laser links, expanded constellations, more ground stations and other tech advances by Starlink, OneWeb, TelSat, Amazon and many other players exploiting the potential of LEO sats.

** For months I have been securing consistent speeds averaging 190-200 & 25 Mbps DL & UL, latency of 46 ms and uptime of 99.8%. Not as good as fibre but more than adequate for most homes for the foreseeable.

Ah fair enough, you must be almost 1km or more from the cabinet for those speeds. I was 150-300m away when I was using it so it never dropped below 50Mbit.

Personally in your situation I'd keep both lol, I do loads of gaming and the ping jitter on Imagine is high enough for 64 tick or higher games to get packets out of order. Really screws with hit detection. Wouldn't be the first time I used 2 different ISPs for gaming / downloads (2 different sim cards - vodafone / three).

Yeah exactly. Im 1.5Km from the cabinet I believe. I wouldnt have moved off VDSL if I could get 20Mb+. It was even a fight to convince Vodafone to move me from DSL to VDSL due to very little difference in speeds but I told them to do it (I knew the line would be a bit more stable and upload would increase slightly which it did)

Currently I am actually on both - Vodafone contract not up til March. Its interesting looking at the differences

Vodafone - VDSL

• Down 14Mb Up 1.7ish
    • Ping 15-20ms
    • Prone to random drops in quality maybe 2-5 times a day.
    • Crippled if any downloads/uploads taking place (this along with speed is the big one for me) - I know instantly if some device is doing some auto update or upload as the net grinds to a halt.
    • Vodafone router far far better range
    • Not a hope streaming 4k

Starlink (not yet tested wired and I still dont have it mounted where I want)

• Down 160-240Mb (it varies) Upload 30Mb consistent
    • Ping 40 - 60Ms
    • Zero issues with network with multiple downloads/uploads occurring at once.
    • Starlink router has very very poor range - will be getting a different router.
    • 4k content streams without issue
    • Can also be prone to random drops in quality or outages although the outages have been few and far between and speeds dont usually drop often or below say 60Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭oppiuy

for those who have it. What's the power consumption like have you noticed and jump in electricity bills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Mine arrived today, speed is good out of the box, slight concern about packet loss. Its sitting on the ground right now but I'll mount it on the gable end of the house at the weekend. Myself and my sons both game almost daily (them more so than me) so will see how it holds up tonight.

For today it will be just me working from home on it (zoom, voip, vpn etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Anyone getting the "Your phone does not have features required" error with android app? Any way around it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Well speed has dropped off to around 80 to 100 Mbps and I've had 3 reboots plus around a dozen outages according to the app (non caused by obstructions according to it).

System takes at least 12 hours to get orientated once it has access to a clear sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Installed a Starlink today. It doesn't need that much view of the sky, able to mount off single story wall above the roof instead of on the chimney as I though I would. Got "Poor ethernet connection" message and speed was 5 or not working. Other people have had this issue, some saying loose connections are the issue. They did seem loose so put something under cable to keep it up. Not sure if this worked but was ok eventually. Got between 100-290Mbps. Disappointed at the issue though especially if the loose connections are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

Download average 230MB

Upload average 50MB

Location Donegal.

Consistant signal min has been 120 plus max 330MB

Happy camper.

Whats the downtime like? In Donegal myself here so was wondering how being this far up would affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Downtime varies per user. Place you home point on this map( 3rd icon in from the right ) and you will get an idea of the route your signals take to the Gateways & POPs.

https://starlink.sx/

Back to Elaine Byrne, she posted her speeds earlier

But again indicating that the monthly sub will come down, which of course has never been said by anyone from Starlink officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

How have you guys got your's connected to get those speeds ? With an ethernet cable we can get 300Mbs + but with the wireless , only 30-40 Mbs & that is next to the computer. We contacted customer service & they sent out another router but exactly the same results.

My wife is getting the same speeds on her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

only 30-40 Mbs & that is next to the computer.

30-40 Mbps obviously speed limitations for 2.4Ghz wireless band with 20/40 MHz Coexistence  enabled 

In order to get higher wireless speeds you should use 5 GHz wireless band instead. ( some old phones might not support 5Ghz WIFI band)

• Advertisement

40Mbit on your phone is probably fast enough for anything you need to do on your phone! Try a modern laptop with a 5ghz wireless radio. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the speeds as long as it works

Advertisement