Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My one experience of the beer was in 30c heat in northern Greece, it was not the thirst quenching beverage I had been looking for. I'd say it's an altogether different experience if you're drinking it fresh in a medieval style brewpub in Bamberg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

It's definitely a marmite experience. I checked out the website for that brewery in Bamberg and the food/drink menu plus setting is my idea of heaven.

https://www.schlenkerla.de/schlenkerla/karte/speisene.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One of four things will happen:

• Courier will refuse to deliver if they don't allow liquids
    • Customs will seize and destroy it
    • Customs will charge you duty and the courier will charge you a nice admin fee on top
    • Customs don't spot it and it gets through with no duty.

Who knows.

Can't believe that anybody would go to the trouble and expense of shipping two dozen beer bottles from Greece though... big savings to be made on spirits and some wines alright, but it's illegal and you always run the risk of getting nothing for your money.

Theoretically there is a fifth possibility:

• They seize it and then prosecute you under the Finance Act 😈

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

All wrong I'm afraid

Greek flavours are the company in Athens and they are registered with the Revenue here for selling alcohol, they've told me by email

The tax on the beer in the invoice is paid to the Irish Revenue

DHL have also confirmed this for me 🍻🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 34,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plenty of online sellers have said that, but it turned out to be porkies. Strange if true. Still doesn't explain how it's worth anyone's while to ship two dozen beer bottles from Greece to Ireland if paying Irish duty and VAT.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

It works out at €3 a pint for a beer I like

Nothing wrong with that

Not all sellers are registered with revenue,this one is

Its my first time dealing with them,so I guess it'll be the last if I've to pay more tax next week when it arrives

Both DHL and the company say I won't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had a chuckle at the label on this, but the lad in the off licence said it's good, and he wasn't lying. basically a porter, goes down very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are absolutely no entities outside the State on the Revenue licence register as it stands. But that list can be slow to update. It is the same list as non-Irish entities are listed on as some non-Irish charter airlines have been on it when operating Irish bases.

As said in the post you quoted, lots of sites - including large notable ones - have insisted they were registered with Revenue. And weren't. And now don't sell here.

Contract brewed by the Porterhouse - wonder is it a unique recipe or a Porterhouse product rebadge.

I didn't say licenced, I'm referring to the ability to pay excise to the revenue

As per the above link,Greek flavours have assured me by email,that they have charged me Irish tax as part of the price I paid

Ditto DHL

Are we happy now?

If that's not the case I'll soon know

But ,my thirst is growing 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does that mean it's brewed on their premises, by porterhouse staff, or simply that their claimed brewery isn't actually a brewery?

Licenced and able to pay are the same thing.

I don't believe them and I'm not the only one.

Isn't a brewery, yet if ever. Some real breweries start as contract brands

How sure are you about that,Have you had that confirmed somewhere and by whom,or is it just your opinion?

And....its out for delivery on schedule by DHL

2 boxes of 12

Haven't been informed of any tax to pay

Will update when it arrives

Actual real experience of the process with this particular company and DHL anyway

Arriving doesn't mean it was paid. Just means it wasn't caught if it wasn't paid

On this forum, over years, we've seen tens of sites selling beer, wine, whiskey etc (and even some breweries) insist they were all paid up and then withdrawing service to Ireland. Not one site has actually been set up.

That some random Greek company has gone to the significant expense of getting set up with Revenue is basically implausible.

In your opinion

You might be right,but you don't know

I doubt anyway DHLwould allow a direct delivery like this if all was not in order,it should be perfectly clear what it is

I will post up the attached docs/labeling and a photo of the merchandise when it gets here

This is my real life experience,not an opinion

But real life experience is worthless when its a case of "it snuck through". I've had orders arrive from a UK vendor who were not paying the appropriate tax (but claimed they were) and have since stopped (because Revenue noticed and started siezing)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought Brennans, like Sullivans, was contract brewed in Dundalk? I have no issue with contract brewing, but those two kind of push it with their marketing (Sullivans having a "taproom" in Kilkenny).

A couple of new Stouts over the weekend - well one new, one new to me. Thought the Wicklow Wolf x Nobo was really nice almost dessert stout like for a relatively low abv (6.5%). I don't know how I'd gone this long without have Stag Stout, but it's a belter for me anyway.

Also had Brú Fire Starter - Brown Ale. Smoked Malt. What's not to like? Absolutely nothing not to like! Hopefully all this stuff survives this merger, unlike my favourite Carrig beer Coalface...

Jesus with the hyperbole and factless opinion

'It snuck through'

• Advertisement

There is absolutely nothing hyperbolic or factless here

Countless, major, online alcohol retailers from outside Ireland have either believed they were OK not paying duty or pretended to pay Irish duty, been caught, and have stopped. Master of Malt were the most prominent in the "all duty is paid" but actually not camp. That's fact.

Not one retailer outside Ireland is currently registered on the public register of licenced alcohol retailers in Ireland. That's fact.

People frequently get deliveries from duty unpaid retailers because they don't get noticed by customs. Using the word "snuck" there is not hyperbole.

You getting your delivery today does not automatically mean that duty was paid and is of absolutely no value in telling someone else that they'll get a delivery from that retailer.

You don't have to be Registered as per the link I posted up thread

You just need to nominate someone to pay it on your behalf

I'd rather you didn't tar brush everyone just on an opinion

Cans say Porterhouse, or at least the pictures on their own site/socials do.

Sullivans actually have a brewery licence in Kilkenny now - but I've no idea what they do there. Having a brewery and still getting your big sellers made contract elsewhere is not uncommon, Dead Centre are/were doing it and I've even been in a brewery in Portugal who did it - small batch made in the basement of the bar, the mainstream products contract

There's a lot of attention on the whiskey scene to spurious origins in product names; maybe that should also be focused on contract brands where a location is mentioned in or alongside the name!

Its an educated opinion based on facts and events.

You are attempting to represent receipt = legit when that is absolutely not guaranteed to be the case.

Its tar brushing L,you know nothing of the company and whether or not they have someone nominated to pay taxes

as I said upthread both they and DHL have confirmed to me all is in order

I specifically asked DHL about duty a couple of days ago and posted this upthread

I'm not here to account for your opinion, you are entitled to it

I'm just posting my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regardless, still not Gorey! When I raised this before, I think someone said that Sullivan's do have a pilot kit that they have occasional taproom only specials. Like I say, I've no problem with contract brewing. Contract brewing in the "system" helps new breweries get going and keep growing (for example Dead Centre), and probably helps the ones with the breweries that offer their vessels out to be more sustainable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Look, over the last decade of so, this kind of thing has come up again and again - with, ultimately, the same results. People who believe that they are going through legit channels (often because the channels have falsely claimed to be legit), invariably, get rather angry when it is pointed out that they are actually, illegally, importing alcohol and said alcohol is at risk of seizure or charges.

No one doubts that you have ordered in good faith.

No one questions the fact that many illegal shipments get through.

No one doubts that many, many overseas suppliers either think they are compliant or lie about the fact that they are.

To date, no overseas retailer has ever been compliant. I also find it implausible that this Greek company is registered with Revenue.ie. Your "real world experience" does absolutely nothing to change my assertion. If your parcel get's through to you without seizure or charges - that proves nothing other than the fact that many illegal parcels get through the system.

I'm not sure why you are bringing DHL into it - they really couldn't give a toss as long as they get paid to deliver.

To put this whole argument to bed

I rang DHL

They have a duty handling service and pay the duty on Greek flavours behalf

They then invoice Greek flavours for said duty who have an account with them

Greek flavours added that to my invoice,it was paid by me at checkout on the website

So totally 100% legit and tax paid

Approx 3 euros a pint for a beer I like

As I type its arrived

Treat this as a school day and say thank you ML 🍻🍻🍻

Here's the label

That's a delivery label. It doesn't prove anything other than you got a delivery.

A DHL person talking about duty likely thinks you mean export duty (which they definitely are able to handle), not excise duty.

You could show us the actual sales invoice for one thing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement