Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much has the site tanked...

Options
  • 16-10-2021 6:38am

...in terms of numbers? What is the drop off in posts and traffic (if that's the right word!). It's very noticeable on some forums, but I've yet to see any analysis, none of us know if numbers are dwindling or improving.

I've criticised the State of the Site thread elsewhere. And I still think it's a bad idea, because sending Niamh out once a week to say "yaaay, the timestamp is now fixed on PCs" just doesn't cut it. It actually suggests a failure to grasp the frustration of many and highlights how slow and ineffective the repairs are.

So how about a real State of the Site thread, with info about how much the site has lost in terms of visitors, posts, engagement. And what's the plan for recovery, beyond "yaaaay, it's taken 4 months but the timestamp is now working"

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Never going to happen. It'd be commercial suicide from an advertising point if view.

That's a fair point.

But I presume advertisers know the issues and see the collapse too. And may assume it's greater than it is, like I'm guessing 50% on some forums but that could be way off.

And if stats pointed to a slow down in the exodus or even recovery, I think that would be a better message than "we've finally changed the font from comic sans" type info. But I suspect they don't and so everyone assumes the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Down from 4 million in April 21 to under 3 million in September 21.

25% loss of traffic, and the trend is down down down.

Absolute disaster, and hard to see any recovery at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Was there an attack on the site that prompted the migration to a different platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

No, site was run on a very customised obsolete version of forum software called vBulletin.

Migrating to new platform was the right thing but to mimick the look and feel of old site and integrate all the old posts, images, etc was wrong thing to do IMO.

Now it's stuck in some horrible limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Apparently the old site wasn't financially viable and that's another reason why they moved it. It looks like they went with the cheapest option, rather than the best one. It's a pity really. I think if they'd come out and asked for financial help from boardsies, many people would've put their hands in their pockets and helped them choose a better platform.

Thank you, that's very interesting.

I think that, when it comes to PR, when it's obvious that the s### has hit the fan there's a lot to be said for dropping the defence of "nothing to see, don't worry, it's all in hand" as discontent grows. And switching to "we screwed up, now here's how we're going to address it". It's why politicians and businesses that make a bad call but admit it are far more likely to move beyond it than those that insist there's nothing to see.

I'm surprised there are still Talk To forums here at all. After the debacle of PMs reappearing, there's no way I'd DM Bank of Ireland or Liberty Insurance. I assume Boards gets money from them, and Richer Sounds, for having a presence here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not just posters though, it looks like more than a few moderators have downed tools/abandoned the site. Site admin as much as admitted that they don't have the bodies anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Definitely have noticed a huge drop in traffic. It really seems to be the same handful of posters across a number of different forums I frequent.

But, yes, the migration was an unmitigated disaster. Another change was deployed just a few days ago that has broken the site even more (for me anyway) - The "My threads & My Forums etc buttons on the top are now covered over and you can only see click on the bottom few pixels of them.

It's ironic that boards started out life as an amateur site, yet the dev/deployments back then were far more professional. Now, it's like they don't understand the concept of testing and break production at will. I have led software dev teams across many orgs, and they would be fired on the spot* in every single one of those orgs for some of the stuff that has gone on in here over the past few months.

*just an expression. Very difficult to actually fire people in Ireland, and have done it only a few times. But still use the expression as shorthand for "dropped from the team immediately and then 'managed out'".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

broken the site even more (for me anyway) - The "My threads & My Forums etc buttons on the top are now covered over and you can only see click on the bottom few pixels of them.

Yeah I'm getting that too, thought it was just me

I'm not surprised. They don't have tools anywhere nearly as powerful as what they had on the old site. Even flagging a post for a mod to check doesn't work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Is the search by relevence and most recent gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some really bad low life posting going unchecked.

I for one have reservations about being associated with a site that allows such carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the forums are there but not active according to Niamh in the main update thread. And won't be coming back either seemingly.

I remember posting on one of the threads after the move that the newly reintroduced drop down menu's over the weekend (which are super snappy and I love them) were part of the functionality of Vanilla. Had this been a properly managed move they would have known this and had it there when the change over happened. Ok things go wrong etc but this whole thing smacks of the move is happening and one poor sap being told "better learn quick"

There are limitations vs old boards too and some stuff that's even better but they haven't used. They cut a stick to beat themselves with in a way by trying to stick so rigidly to how the old site looked and worked. This was a decision from the top and those having to implement it had to suck it up. I'll also go out on a limb and say that Vanilla was not a good choice of platform for what they wanted/needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can't find my own posts or navigate anymore. It's just random dumb luck if I get back to any threads I'm interested in. Worse on mobile. I imagine it's worse for the mods.

I don't understand the obsession with keeping all the old posts. The majority are obsolete and you can't post in those threads anyway. They could have archived it all on an different site and started over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Guarantee you that if everyone's post history was to be wiped, there'd be absolute riots going on. This is an example of the problem boards staff had. Damned at every turn. Look around the threads, every change one person makes, another person wants the opposite. This X 100 for every possible change. If one guy wants black, the next guy wants white! 😂

I've seen calls for people to be sacked immediately, heads to roll, calling people bollixes etc. Just seems an absolute no win for the people who run the site. Personally, I've found it super easy to just adapt. (not diminishing the people who have had legitimate problems like locked out of profiles, personal info etc.)

• Advertisement

I’m contributing a lot less due to the mad navigational issues from a user perspective. Boards on mobile is just terrible now and most users use mobile devices - what I have noticed though is less trolling or at least a lot more people ignoring trolls- it’s too much effort to keep up with them so you just post what you want to say and ignore any drivel that might appear in replies.

I imagine mods are having a tough time too- with the additional functionality they have to manage now and the awkwardness of it all, I’d say many are ready to throw in the towel

I didn't say wiped. I said archived.

I dunno what you're adapting too. Half the functionality doesn't work.

I saw a post from a Mod on pretty much the only forum I still use...

Just a note to say I'm not currently getting notified about reported posts so if you are reporting a post could you also drop me a PM to let me know?

That's on another forum I use as well. It's hard to see on mobile who the mods in a forum are, making it less likely that people will bother reporting posts. It's shocking that that aspect of boards wasn't prioritised back at the start. Why would any mod waste their time trying to help out here when it has been thrown back in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Many little things that made Boards, Boards have been removed.

If the site was struggling financially 3,4,5 years ago then how is it going to survive now? I can't even see the soccer forum, you have to go some arse ways round to get into it.

It might be that there's a world of functions I didn't know about/use before the change over. I literally post in threads, get answers, have discussions. I have been doing that all through the changeover (with the exception of the week+ downtime) and for the last (almost) 20 years. I'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing perhaps?

I'm in no way denying other people's legitimate problems, personal info, private messages etc., that's unacceptable and a poor job, but the over reaction?

I've seen posters saying the site is impossible to use, seemingly unaware of the irony that by posting they are using the site.

I get that people don't like the changes and the loss of the familiar, but the over reaction has been mind blowingly out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Very simplistic view. That's like saying my Samsung S2 is as good as a Samsung S10 because I can take photos, make calls and send texts on my S2 despite the S10 being a much better phone.

Simplistic? Yes, I suppose so. But I wasn't going for an essay to cover all possible points about the site.

But if you'd prefer to stick with your analogy, your Samsung S2 is useable? Not as good, but useable. Doesn't have all the functions of it's bigger brother, but maybe not something Mr. Samsung should be sacked for? Maybe not something the people at the front desk should be subject to abuse for? Maybe not something that should provoke endless threads of complaint and giving stick to volunteers? To round off the analogy before it becomes absurd, the S10 costs more, Boards don't have the money, so to continue making our phone calls, texts and pictures, they got themselves an S2.

(for the record, I'm not accusing you of doing these things, I don't know you and you are obviously polite, but I'm sure you've seen the same as I have)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 Helical

I can only post in Feedback because it’s the only thread that I can see the comment box in.

if I go to another thread it disappears.

• Advertisement

That I found this thread a 2nd time is only because it appears in the latest threads on the home page. I have no access to subscriptions, I get no notifications, or I get notifications from ancient threads from years ago. I was getting so many I had to delete my old account and start over. I can only use bookmarks. I can only get to that through going through my profile every time. About 5-10% of my recent bookmark threads still are active. So I assume people can't find them. Threads don't get bookmarked automatically, so unless I remember to do that, I won't find them again.

The activity on the site seems to have fallen off a cliff. I don't believe the 25%.

Advertisement