Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More likely misinformed and unaware of what you're asking them.

Irish duty rates are well known - it will be blatantly obvious from your sales invoice if you've been re-charged them (albeit not that they've been paid onwards - but its unlikely anyone would go to that effort)

I do have an invoice with funnily enough the correct amount of Irish duty charged

All through this discussion this morning you are continuing a charade that the taxes aren't paid and to enhance your opinion You are saying that a DHL employee are misinformed

MY !

And the correct amount is?

The claim that a small Greek retailer are properly set up here is so extraordinary and unlikely that actual proof is required to overturn learned experience.

I said they used the DHL duty paid service ...

I'll defer to your new request when you post up your knowledge of DHL's customer data base,specifically Greek flavours account with something to counter what they and DHL have said to me other than tar brushing them with stuff about other unrelated companies or inventing that the DHL contact I spoke to is mis informed

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

I keep coming in here hoping to see someone talking about new beers rather than delivery and excise! More fool me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I remember previous arguments saying things like "are you saying that Master of Malt are lying?", "Surely a company like MoM must be legit and doing what they are claiming?", "surely MoM aren't ignorant of import rules?". Well, guess what?

Anyone remember that Irish/French wine company that swore blind that they were compliant? Guess what?

While it is possible that this company and DHL are actually paying duty to Revenue.ie, years of experience would suggest otherwise. This is why L is asking for detailed proof. This would, literally, be the first company in the world to do so.

Please post the exact amount of duty you have been charged and for what. VAT would then be calculated on top of this. What I suspect DHL are doing is collecting Irish VAT, not duty. I'm afraid that nothing you have posted leads me to believe that this delivery is fully compliant. (although I have no doubt that you 100% believe it top be compliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

After all this please tell me it's not just Mythos Lager you've ordered? Fairly sure it's available in Lidl every couple of months.

Alas only during Greek week

It is available in Tesco in the UK

I cannot find any reference to DHL having the ability to pay excise duty. Import duty and excise duty are not the same.

I do not believe DHL have any ability to handle payment of excise duties.

You are being exceptionally evasive about the amount of duty paid.

DHL can pay excise duty in the way I described above

Theres nothing to suspect about it

Look on their site again

• Advertisement

Import duties. They can pay import duties. This is excise.

You are making exceptionally extraordinary claims here and could just tell us what duty and VAT you paid; to potentially the first company to ever actually do this.

ML, it is really easy to see why you think you are correct on this. DHL have certainly given you the impression that all is above board.

Unfortunately, still nothing you have posted leads me to believe that you are correct. Again, how much excise duty have you paid?

Its you L that's is making the extraordinary claim that all companies chance their arm not paying duty

With no proof for this tar brushing other than the notion some do it so they all must

All I've done is provided DHL's explanation as to what's happened

I'm under no obligation to entertain the ranting and raving

Its not "some" its absolutely every single company that people on here have discussed using, even - indeed particularly - those that have given specific promises that they were legit.

This isn't "tar brushing". Its explaining to you that it is exceptionally unlikely that duty was paid on your order

That you aren't willing to say what duty you paid makes me think you're beginning to realise this too.

People here would be delighted to find retailers that are actually meeting the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe all these foreign breweries just haven't realised they just have to ship via DHL and everything will be taken care of for them.

So, why won't you put up the invoice details, outlining the duty and VAT paid on your order? That would finally put the argument to bed.

Is it because after so much assertion that you are correct (which is, to be fair, understandable), you are afraid that, perhaps, you are actually not correct? The evidence to prove your argument (if it is correct) is on the invoice. Why not post this information? To be honest, I can only think of one reason why you won't.

Also, it really isn't outrageous at all to suggest that all companies this retail to Ireland from abroad chance their arm with regard to excise duty when no one can point out a single company in the world, ever, that has actually been compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya so every cupla months, like I said. All this palaver for Mythos. Why not just buy a case or two in Lidl if you like it that much?

Ach,I will,Or Tesco in Newry before Xmas if they have it

There was no palava,I just clicked and went on a website

Given the lack of posted evidence, I think we can assume, that this story is exactly like the other stories we have heard on here over the last dozen years!

No excise duty has been paid!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

C&C seem to have dropped Roundstone red ale and are now pushing Five Lamps Red Ale as their Smithwicks alternative for pubs they have tied in with. It's cropped up in a few places in Derry anyway. Had a pint last night, surprisingly reasonable.

• Advertisement

The 5L Red is vastly superior to Roundstone.

Decided to go a tiny bit darker / not just a box of IPAs with my bank holiday weekend order - Bambricks Brown, Kinnegar Devils Backbone, Four Provinces Hurler and then a packing error leaves me with some Trouble Dark Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brewdog Nanny State.

Surprisingly decent and amazingly is only 20 calories per can.

Plus a Guinness Zero or two. Not the same as the real thing but okay in its own right.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Picked up four bottles of Around the Clock, to put away for Christmas. Sweeney's on Philipsburgh Ave, D3, have a load of it.

Got some Pointy Shoes there as well, but just one can left on the shelf after I bought three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Got four for Christmas too, but with each passing day I'm more and more tempted to open one for a taste. It's going to be a long November!

I bought some to put away, but unless I put it in the cellar, I always end up opening them!

You should definitely try one now though.

I also bought one of the recent Lervigs, at €22, so looking forward to trying that. I love the three bean stout they do, and got the rum barrel version last christmas. Wasn't mad about it, but then the whiskey version they brought out was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya I think I'm going to give in to temptation at some point before December, possibly as early as this weekend 😁

I'm stocking up on my Christmas beer collection at the moment, so will definitely look into the Lervigs. Also trying to source a 200 Fathoms, but easier said than done

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I didn't think version 3 was as good as the previous. There's a raw splintery wood character that I'm hoping will age out of it. Some price difference too: €5.50 in my local SuperValu and well north of €6 in the independent offies.

Is 200 Fathoms coming out this year? I think I may have a single one left, after drinking three in a row earlier this Summer!

My local sold out of two of the four Lervigs they got in, and the fourth doesn't interest me. I think they only got four of each in.

I think I paid €6.30. I didn't like the first version, but liked the second. I think maybe cause they used sherry butts? I've been enjoying the third one as well.

I'm currently about to start toasting some oak, and then I'll char some of it, and then going to quick age it in some mildly peated scotch. Then at the start of December, add it to a batch of imperial stout a friend is making. Had a disaster with an attempt to barrel age a stout a few years back, so trying a different approach this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Just to note if you're using whiskey soaked chips to age homebrew, be very careful! Usual caveat about sanitising to not introduce an infection but from experience, make sure to use a muslin bag to avoid "bits" in your beer and a small amount of oak goes a long, long way.

Advertisement