Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steamboat Quay

• 17-10-2021 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Has anybody experience with buying or renting in Steamboat Quay?

Best Answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, don't. Unless you love drugs and anti social behaviour. Mount Kenneth is right across the street and is a complete shithole. Anyone that says otherwise is a liar or has a vested interests in the area.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25 millionairenot

Thanks Davo2001

Have family going to college and I might be moving there short term for work, was looking into the possibility of buying there.

Are there any other areas to avoid or are good in the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Plenty but the same as any other city / large town. Maybe post the other places where you're looking at here and people can advise.

Claremount Court/Mason House or there seems to be good value in Shannon if its not too far out?

I'm looking at what's advertised for sale, will try get to view some in the next week.

Not overly familiar with them, they are just in my price range, appreciate any views from people who have lived in any or own in any of the areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Avoid Claremont Court too. It’s on Alphonsus Street which is particularly grim.

Do you mean Mahon House? If so, avoid. Lots of undesirables living there too. There’s a reason why these places are cheap/on daft for a long time.

Okay. Thanks for replying.

I'm not overly familiar with the city centre and wanted to get advice before I arrange viewings.

Buying in those price ranges would appear to not be a wise move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Generally, the cheaper the place the less you would actually want to live there.

Newtown House, Riverpoint, Carlton Apartments, The Strand Apartments and Lansdowne Hall would all be good city centre apartments, but you will pay accordingly (if you can find one for sale).

If you're looking to house the family member going to college, an indication of where they are attending would narrow it down. There are 3 3rd level campuses in the city all a considerable distance from each other. An idea on where they are going and a rough idea of where you would be working would get you better results.

Thank you source, good points there.

Family member is going between UL and hospital, so city centre appeals for for transport and nightlife etc.

If I don't have to work in Limerick myself, it's not definite yet but more than likely, I would look to rent the other room. I have a car so it won't be a problem for me, I will be travelling around the county for work.

Is that Hospital the town or UHL?

If it's the town and you don't need to be anyplace specifically then Castletroy, Annacotty, or Monaleen would work. If it's UHL then Dooradoyle, Raheen or Ballycummin would work well, there's a bus that runs from this area to UL.

Both are within easy distance of the city centre and both have regular bus service to town and both have good access to the motorway network.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

There is a 2 bedroom apartment up on daft ie in the Riverpoint complex.

€180,000. No mention of including a carpark and service charges are €1591.00 per annum.

UHL.

The one areas are too far over budget unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I saw that, just can't stretch the budget that far.

Would Shannon be too far? The prices advertised are within budget which will inevitably dictate location of the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

On Daft.ie

Two bedroom apartment for €135,000 at Fishermans Quay, Corbally.

Easy to get to UL along the riverbank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Had the misfortune of going in there once to pick up something. It's a total slum.

Thanks YFlyer. I'm looking up everything on daft.

Do you know anything about them or the area in general?

Seems to be the general consensus here.

I take it with so many buyers in the last year +, the people renting/living in them haven't changed.

Unfortunately I don't. I know it would take forever to get to UL by driving or getting buses. However, cycling along the riverbank be 15 minutes or so. Ideal for the North campus where the medical college is situated.

Corbally to city centre would not be that far away.

Thank you for that information.

Aim to view some next week if I can find the right places/right price. Might be a tough task/ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Older apartment complexes but generally of a good standard and well managed. Not slum like at all. Chilly, given it's close proximity to the Shannon. Aviary House, Windmill House and Riverdock House all located on the Dock Road nearby. Traffic volume is large here. Closer to the city centre, Market Place and Market Court worth a look. Cathedral Place also. Mahon House, mentioned previously, is not a bad shout. There was a problem there previously where drug addicts were gaining entry but a new management company is in place and this has been resolved. No car parking spaces available though (in Mahon).

• Advertisement

Thanks chicorytip

Budget is definitely max €150k, really want to make sure it's in the right complex.

You hear stories about most apartment complexes in Limerick City regarding drugs and undesirable residents which are mostly exaggerated. I would have no major reservations about buying in any of the complexes I mentioned in my previous post. Mahon House is a more recently constructed development than the one's in the Steamboat/Dock Road area so the apartments there would have a better BER rating with gas fired central heating fitted as opposed to the older less efficient electric storage heating. Management fees are another big issue to consider, of course. These tend to vary considerably based on size and location from €1000 up to around €1900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Newtown house may have a respectable clientele but the apartments themselves are poor , no better than Mount Kenneth

Didn't know that, it's a good looking building, I wouldn't have thought it would be the same "quality" construction as Mount Kenneth.

I couldn't view this week, got caught with work.

I am a bit concerned about drug use in an apartment block, I know it's happening everywhere but I am considering outside Limerick city now if budget would match somewhere else that might be more suitable.

I don't think the standard of construction of the complexes in Steamboat/Mount Kenneth/Dock Road area is poor. It is just of it's time. These were built around the same period - mid nineties to early noughties - so standards of insulation, soundproofing and, importantly, central heating would not be on a par with a modern build. The best value is still to be found in the city centre area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Shannon was mentioned as a possible location, there are usually a few apartments for sale but because of https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40199838.html

are not mortgagable so you would need to be a cash buyer. There are usually a few 3 bed terrace houses for sale between 140/160 which almost always need modernising so factor in 6-8k for kitchen 4-5 for bathroom and 1k for general decoration.

Interesting read! Thanks for the link.

I did get to view one today, in need of work but not suitable.

The search continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colombes

Hello, we lived for 6months in steamboat quay back in 2006 and the building was already in bad condition (humidity, insulation issue, you could literally hear your neighbours as if you were in the room with them). And safety wise, as a woman I felt unconfortable sometimes when going shopping in the evenings. So I cannot imagine 15 years later.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement