Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's cos hybrid is a cod.

In office works and is productive, WFH has been proven to be productive.

Hybrid and dragging people in for the sake of it on arbitrary day is an unknown and therefore a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Decline in productivity. Guess managers will have to start managing again! If someone stops pulling their weight when WFH, then that's a HR issue and needs to be dealt with that way. Punishing the rest of us who work just as good, if not better, from home is a sign that they don't trust staff. Just heard our place rented out 1 floor to a partner, so before when we had some issues with desk spaces and sharing, now we're going to have even more issues and sharing. And they keep sprouting that shyte that our health and safety is the priority... lies, lies everywhere! But that's grand, that'll be my nail in the coffin for coming back in, not a hope I'm going back in now, and if they want to fire me for that, go for gold, I'll just let the internet know who they are and how they work. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Does anyone know what the latest updates mean for offices?

Return to the workplace continuing on a 'phased and cautious basis'.

Allowing people to WFH if they want to is a really simple way to reduce the spread, it's silly that they're not encouraging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

NPHET advise to the Government:

• homeworking has played a very important role in containing the spread of COVID-19 throughout the duration of the pandemic. With the easing of social and economic restrictions, a majority of employees have already or will need to return to the workplace on an at least partial basis over the coming months. This should continue to be phased and cautious and the NPHET continues to recommend that all who can work from home should continue to do so. All other protective measures currently in place, as set out in the Work Safely Protocol, should continue to be adhered to by workplaces, employers and employees. In particular, there is a need for an ongoing partnership approach between employers and employees to ensure that the importance of self-isolating when symptomatic is understood, communicated and facilitated, such that employees are not disincentivised to identify themselves as symptomatic and stay at home where appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

No change to what has been in place since September 20th - return to workplaces will continue on a phased and cautious basis for specific business requirements

The government should have followed Glynn's message with an explicit message to work from home where possible, some companies and managers have had a very loose interpretation of the above with many people dragged back to the office full-time since September 20th or under unnecessary pressure to do so after working from home for 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EtonMess

^^What is the source of that NPHET advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

What exactly is a phased basis? We have been phasing in 50% of the time with a full office return on the 26th Oct. Hopefully employers will open a dialogue with employees but I doubt my place will unfortunately

Government advice:

• return to workplaces will continue on a phased and cautious basis for specific business requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

RTE saying that a "full return" to the office cannot occur until "Spring". I take that to mean that social distancing is needed until March? i.e. 50% capacity max in most cases.

The NPHET advise is that they "continue to recommend that all who can work from home should continue to do so". Some employees will no doubt quote this back to their employers if they are been pushed to return to the office.

My money is still on ... hospital cases getting worse over the coming weeks, government gets under pressure to do something but not something big and the government reintroduces 'work from home where possible'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Never mind the benefits to city center traffic, rents, housing etc. that could come with less people in the city as opposed to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah leo said the spring thing at the end of the presser.

If you can work from home it should be facilitated he said. And office for training / meetings.

But also mentioned people working from laptop on bed that they could be facilitated in office if kept away from each other or something

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We'd just use it as an excuse to cram even more people into the city centre.

You can be damn sure the govt issued the same amount of student visas etc as they did last year, covid be damned.

If it's not to be expected until the end of Spring, why send out the ambiguous "phased basis" message? That's what I don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Irish Times are saying that the Government is going to meet with Unions and employer representatives over the coming days to update protocols.

Sit and wait for the time being I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

That the problem, NPHET said it to the Government but the Governement didnt say it to employers. They should have come out and said in order to reduce incidences to allow other industries to return to some sort of capacity & reduce pressure on the healthcare service during the busy winter period, that anywhere where you can work from home, you should work from home... but they didnt.

Our place has said nothing is changing, they are pushing ahead with return to work as they planned - absolutely gutted. I'm terrified of catching it in work, and despite all their 'we care about your mental health', all conversations have been one sided - we are here to support you, as long as you do what we say.

No one is cleaning down surfaces after them or sanatising coming in & out anymore either, people think its gone.

Leo did say to work from home if possible today and the return to work full scale is off till spring. Really offices are for training/meetings

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's nothing official about this and as it stands it's too open to interpretation.

Pushing for strong wfh would, to me, seem a much better mitigation measure than the current plans for the entertainment and catering areas.

This is a strange situation:

• Ronan Glynn says WFH for Autumn and Winter.
    • NPHET says those who can work from home should continue to do so.
    • Leo says to WFH where possible until Spring and only use the office as a 'facility'.
    • Social distancing stays till Spring.
    • "Full return" not possible until Spring.

BUT the official guidance says that a phased return is still allowed. Why are the government not simply updating the official guidance?

Are they waiting for things to get worse before they update guidance?

• Advertisement

It might be updated after they meet with Unions and employer representatives and discuss what's what.

I agree it's not clear enough. And hopefully they do what it takes to make it clear.

But gov.ie does say:

• return to workplaces will continue on a phased and cautious basis for specific business requirements

For me that does not mean go to the office to do work you can do at home.

Anyone dragging staff in well know they shouldn't be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It's certainly strange but straight talking is not really one of the government's forte.

That being said the public would conceive this as going backwards again.

I hope that I am wrong though...

I work for an MNC which has, to date, followed government guidance. We are back now at 50% capacity on a hybrid basis. There is no intention of changing that and going back to a more WFH footing. And if a financial services MNC isn’t going to follow that new guidance, I doubt that anyone is

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EtonMess

I work for a MNC too. Not a peep from management today about anything changing. We were due to go fully to the 3 day/wk hybrid model next week. Not sure if this is still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Meehole was fairly sketchy just now on RTE when asked a straight forward question of are people returning to the office or not.

I'm far from confident after his non answer.

Good to see that gov.ie have updated advice but yeah it is not clear enough. Seems like they want to keep some MNC's happy with broad wording.

The Gov.ie advice could be read a lot of ways but I read it a similar way as you, one should be working from home unless you have a damn good reason to be in the office. This is in line with what Leo and others have said.

This throws return to office plans in the bin for most companies until March.

I suspect that once things get worse, which it seems like they will, the government will simply change the advise to 'WFH where possible'.

Yep trying to keep everyone happy is a good summary of the announcement.

Of course night clubs can open. Obviously table service... what? Oh well sectoral discussions then.

Be interesting to see mm interview mentioned above. Doesn't sound good.

The UK government are now under pressure to mandate WFH for Winter as part of their Plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Yeah I agree, its too open to interpretation - the Government advice was still 'work from home where possible' when our place started bringing people back in 1 day a week, they said they were getting advice from IBEC... all well and good but IBEC isnt the Government.

We are due to move to 3 days a week from 22nd, nothing has said about that changing internally and any challenge to it is meant with 'this is a company decision.' Its too open to say proceed with caution - because they 'feel' they are and other people disagree, so its an opinion rather than hard and fast guidelines. Will be interesting to see what IBEC recommends they do now........

Some departments are at 100% capacity return to office now... my gut is they are going to push ahead with all the rest of them now.

Advertisement