Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't be ridiculous. It's only Ireland. The rest of the world is completely open with no restrictions or covid passes. They've even banned their media from mentioning the word covid, that's how much they've moved on. It's only here in Ireland that covid still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lol the thread is gas. So we’re going from stadiums being full along with nightclubs opening to a lockdown . Which is it lads? I think MM said yesterday we won’t be going backwards at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Really disappointing to see antigen testing will only be' encouraged' in large indoor settings.

Encouraged, adviced, guidance etc are all just fluff words. They mean zilch. Nothing is ever implemented in this country until it is legislated, and even then it will not be followed without actual enforcment and legal follow through.

It's the same as ventilation. I'm in multiple premises and offices, most of them dont even bother opening windows any more, let alone co2 monitors and hepa filters etc.

I was just watching MM in the dail and he was questioned on the lack of legislation on ventilation and why the goverment are still talking about cleaning and washing their hands etc, when it's been proven to be a very low risk transmission route. He just ignored the question completely and waffled about something else, when called out on it, he mumbled something about schools getting guidance and moved swiftly on.

They are moving into gross negligence territory here again. Antigens have to be given a chance, as does legislated ventilation. Either that, or boost us all before christmas, becasue the way things are heading, it's going to be another meaningful one.

That was true about the UK up until this week. Now Covid is headline news again and a lot of angst about case numbers.

it appears that the most likely policy responses are a mask mandate and a return to WFH where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

My ticket for the Aviva states "IMMUNITY COMPULSORY". I assume that means vaccine (or recovery) pass is required.

• Advertisement

Those two issues go hand-in-hand really, and it's why the UK has been such a perfidious beast when it comes to covid. The British media's failure to act independently in any sense has led to lax attitudes about covid throughout this pandemic, and the sky-high numbers that have beset the country.

The day where more restrictions were lifted than NPHET wanted, or any of the usual doom-mongers on here thought would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The government literally announced that they are not needed for outdoor events or sporting events:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Did MM make his speech? Just out of a lecture, may have missed it

Today is a very sad day in my opinion. We are essentially saying now that even with everyone vaccinated we might need restrictions.

Plenty of people on these threads have been called conspiracy theorists and so on but our leaders, doctors and media are slowly pushing us down a path to accepting that restrictions are needed to suppress illnesses and protect the hospitals.

Not to masks and vaccine passports seem to be becoming normalized. Maybe we'll need to get boosters next year to keep our vaccinated status and passport.

I really feel like I'm screaming at the top of my lungs but nobody is listening. Most people I speak to still seem to think this is all temporary and will be gone away soon.

We're still going to have lots of rules and regulations in place and no end date in sight. Looks like more trips to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You cant go into the office but you could all mill in to a nightclub together

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We've had a fair few days like that so it's no great shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The resolution to this is very straight forward & obvious for a year not but the movement won't act.,

Take all the government money we plan to plough into projects we don't "NEED" for the next two years and simply use it to make more ICU beds available & the have man power to run them

Once we do that we can then open up society fully & get everyone back living normal life's , with the boost to the economy it'll pay for its self and then in 2 years you can get back working on all the other vanity projects

So I see this in the new government advisory

Antigen testing

NPHET has recommended that

Did they really say yes to antigen tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We're paying the price for a **** health service.. and there's no political will from any party to fix it. Fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I can somewhat understand the logic there. Office workers can keep working from home. Nightclub workers can't.

Some reports are suggesting indoor events will need to be seated, and if that's accurate that's where things stop making sense to me. Why have a nightclub open with dancing but no standing gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't think anyone said you can't.

Can you not see the difference with a nightclub requiring a covid cert to enter and a workplace who legally can't ask or demand one. We certainly don't want to go the way of other countries mandating passports to work.

This is very much a case of the government trying to demonstrate that they have opened things up and that the plan to include nightclubs and remove limits on activities has happened. The trouble is there are all manner of weird hoops to jump through for this to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where do you draw the line between a nightclub versus and indoor gig where a DJ is the act? They're functionally the same, but the latest announcement essentially rules out the latter?

The whole thing smacks of decisions made by people who haven't a breeze about the industry. I'm sure some will defend it, but 18 months later this isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spot555

Interesting. @seamus whereabouts was the guidelines bit pointed out/who pointed it out? (Want to find out more) - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is a bar in a live indoor event setting still table service only?

It was someone on Twitter, but here anyway;

https://www.thejournal.ie/nightclubs-restrictions-latest-ireland-announcement-5578399-Oct2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes thank I can . But I can also see the difference between a work place and a night club . Can you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Laurenf35

Lamestream Media

We should have listened to Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can someone summarise what we CAN'T do? I want to know what I'm missing :)

You can't NOT wear a mask and you can't NOT distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Your post is based on assumptions which are inaccurate , as others here have and is par for the course with the boards " experts " .

Asymptomatic / presymtomatic spread is one of the main drivers of the spread of this virus . It is why it is so difficult to contain. And why INMO is calling for increased regular testing of healthcare workers , which you would imagine would be a given in a pandemic , wouldn't you ? And boosters for healthcare workers also .

That tweet from that ridiculously inaccurate Conor Riocht is pure spam and does not even understand the basics of testing patients in hospital .

Yes , there have been some well documented outbreaks in some hospitals around the country but it is not because there is no separation of Covid from general patients , but largely patients being admitted for elective reasons totally unaware that they have been exposed in the community. This testing in house ensures safety , but unfortunately some slip through the net , and nurses live in the community and are mixing as we have been told we are allowed to do the same as everyone else

I believe there was ONE outbreak that related to sharing a hospital staff room for meals , among porters in ONE hospital in the last 20months .

Incubation periods are 5 to 14 days , for a reason , because infection / symptoms can start at any time between those dates , and in fact may in some rare cases go to 21 days . People can be infectious from 2 days after contracting the virus but may never show symptoms .

R number ( r0 is when no vaccine or mitigation is employed ) is known to be higher among healthcare workers looking after Covid patients than standard community levels , even with mitigating PPE , for the obvious reason that they are dealing with higher viral loads and more aerosol producing procedures .

The take out here is that you and other posters are trying to blame staff in overcrowded hospitals for infections in the middle of a surge of infections in the community .

Advertisement