Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Farrell has looked at a bunch of other 10s, including fast tracking Harry Byrne despite a very badly disrupted season where he probably didn’t really earn the opportunity he was given in the summer.

He can’t magically make any of these players better than they are. He doesn’t get to spend enough time with them to do so. He’s doing what he can with very limited options. He has to balance the short term with the long term.

We may argue that he could have given a bit more time to certain players at certain times, but there really isn’t much in it and I don’t know if it would really have made any difference anyway. He’s getting a good look at these guys in training too which we aren’t seeing. If he wasn’t bringing them into camp and/or wasn’t giving them any game time then maybe we could cry foul. But he is working to find a replacement. There just isn’t one there right now. Playing guys who aren’t good enough in games now won’t change that. And it’ll just lead to pain now for no reward.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think duncan weir is more of a target as to what Lowry could be as he develops physically

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Have the Autumn series tickets gone on sale yet or have i just totally missed the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I'd like to see Healy called up. He has all the physical attributes as well as a monstrous boot. He might not be a complete player, at least yet, but he's worth taking a chance on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not arguing he needs to play them to make them better players (though it would likely help). I'm arguing that regardless of their ability, one or more of them will play in the next world cup so we should be preparing them accordingly. Not doing so is sticking your head in the sand as much as pretending they're great players.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think maybe I should probably say what I think should happen rather than try and address any specific points. We may find we’re closer to one another’s opinion than we thought. Before I do, I’m not wedded to this specifically. A variation on the theme would be totally fine. But it gives a good sense of where my head is at with this stuff.

Sexton is our first choice 10. For big games he starts until there is at least a comparable option. And right now there isn’t. Obviously Sextons age and injury profile means that we need at least 1 reliable back up. So….

Carbery has been the heir apparent for a few years. We’ve invested a good deal of time in him and we know he can do a job at Test level. I’m not convinced he’s much more than that, and his form right now is poor, but I think he needs to be in the frame as his form can turn around and we aren’t blessed with options.

Burns is our best performing 10 right now other than Sexton. He has his limitations and is playing in a side that plays through 9 more than 10, which may not be the case with Ireland. But given that he is playing fairly well at the moment and has proven week to week consistency he too should be in the frame.

Carty for me shouldn’t be in the frame. He has shown no ability to find that week to week consistency to the point that you simply don’t know what you’re going to get from him from match to match.

Behind our starters at provincial level we have Ross Byrne, Ian Madigan, Conor Fitzgerald and Ben Healy. The first three aren’t in the picture at all, nor should they be (Mads is injured anyway). Ben Healy had a good game vs a very weak Scarlets. But he also was being tipped for big things 12 months ago before that all died down as the season progressed. He has a lot more to do to be a real option. But then, we are stuck so maybe he’s worth a look now.

Behind those guys there is really only Harry Byrne. He’s been in Ireland camp a good bit under Farrell and got capped during the summer. But similar to Healy, Harry Byrne probably still has more to do given his injuries etc. We have invested time in him to date though so he’s worth sticking with if available.

That means Sexton, Carbery, Burns, Harry Byrne and Ben Healy could all be considered live options. Given no league games in the AI window I’d see no issue getting all 5 into camp. Then it’s a case of who plays and when.

We’ll want to have a crack off NZ. There’s no point in that game otherwise. So that probably means a strong team vs Japan. Probably Sexton and Carbery involved there. Maybe start Joey and give him 60 mins. For NZ then it’s going to have to be Sexton to start and probably Joey on the bench. Although Burns on the bench would be very much worth it depending on how Joey does vs Japan. Against Argentina I’d look at Burns to start with Harry Byrne on the bench.

That’s a good look at 3 options (other than Sexton) with Ben Healy getting valuable time in camp as well (similar to Harry Byrne previously). Across 3 games that’s a decent effort, with Carbery and Burns both getting a start each. When you consider the 2 games over the summer as well that’s a decent bit of game time to the back ups over 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Didn't see that question. All I said was I would pick 2 alternatives (for me at the moment it would be Joey Carbery & Ben Healy) and see who's better in the system. I meant in that particular game. One question I have is how come we highlight these factors in all our other 10s but we never hold Sexton to the same standards when ever he drops off, he just comes back and looks good against Zebre and all is forgiven. The only reason it looked neck and neck was down to experience rather than ability of running a game, Healy only had a handful of caps compared to JJ who had a hell of alot more experience. The point isnt who's better than Sexton now, its about who can step up in the future, at the moment the plan should be give an alternative game time so they have a chance of potentially blossoming in time, no 10 is going to improve and attempt to match Sexton by sitting on the sidelines. No matter the situation there is no time to not be brave, there are probably only 2 positions where we need to be brave if we want to fix a problem, one is our depth at loosened but that's being managed for the time being thanks to Porter switching over and him being 26, the other is the 10 shirt and we just need to find every opportunity possible to squeeze in as much game time for our young 10s, for example give Joey and/or Carbery a start versus Japan and Argentine, give them both 10-15 mins off the bench in big 6N matches (versus England, France, Wales etc), give them a start versus Italy and possibly Scotland. That's whats going to help improve a 10, simply chopping and changing every game and giving them only 5 minutes off the bench every game wont improve any of them.

That's the point when you say "I dont think", noone actually knows for definite and noone will until he's thrown in. If he has assets that we could do with then its worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If I was Farrell I would only play Sexton v the all blacks. The opportunity to view the back ups is right there v Japan and the pumas.

I think Burns has been the best of the back ups thus far, so I would give him the nod. Maybe even have Sexton on the bench!

So far, Carberry and RB have been poor. I don't think they deserve a call up. That would leave Carty, who hasn't been that good either.

We just have the top level 10's. I would be shocked if Healy or HB are included this autumn. Although, I think Healy has been better than Carberry, he has to take the 10 shirt from Carberry at Munster. The same with HB. He must pass RB at the very least.

I hate this take. Players shouldn’t be getting Test caps so that you or I can tell if they are good enough. Farrell should already all but know the answer to that himself before handing out any caps. If he doesn’t then he’s not doing his job right.

I mean you don’t know if I’d be any good at driving a bus or not. But we don’t find out by putting me behind the wheel of a full Dublin Bus at rush hour and saying “go for it there and we’ll see if you can do it or not”. Because that would be really stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Dublin Bus management don’t have the balls to let you try, molloy. Gutless cowards.

The biggest issue is we seem to have no plan for if he's unavailable, either A. Give another 10 some proper minutes in the jersey or B. Alter the gameplan so we arent as reliant on him being fit. It seems the plan is persist with him until he retires and just throw the towel in if he's out. That's tier 2 level of planning for the future and deservedly will end in failure.

He didnt look at a bunch of other 10s because the game time any of them was given is not sufficient enough for a 10 to grow into the jersey, if anything all it will do is make matters worse because not only has the problem NOT been fixed but the players confidence has been damaged. He can by backing one of them, he doesn't do that and as a result the player hasn't improved, its pretty self explanatory tbh. This is where balls is required, he needs to take risks to solve the problem if the problem cant be fixed within reason, simply persisting with Sexton and not fixing the problem isn't good enough at this level. Playing games will change that because these players can get better and more comfortable in the basics of the game like passing, kicking etc, whereas by giving them no time to grow into the jersey they will just **** the bed in these moments and make bad decisions, but with experience they can at the very least work these problems out of their game.

Also you dont know if it will lead us to no reward because nothing has been done. We will only know if there is no reward if the player has gotten sufficient game time at 10 and hasnt improved, so far none of them have so as a result we have no idea what will happen.

That I agree with, the game versus Japan and Argentina is a game for the back ups to impress. Its our own fault for not having the top level 10s as we pretty much ruined both Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery with how we handled their development. All I know is anyone with two eyes and a brain can see that Harry and Ben have what it takes to make it at international level, they just need consistent game time at 10 to add the consistency to their game to help reach their potential, Argentina and Japan are the games to try them out if they are impressing in training, games like the US and arguably Italy is no better than a Champions Cup match imo, to see if they can make the next step Argentina and Japan are the perfect games as we should be good enough at home regardless but potentially if the two excel we might even learn about how good they can be at this level.

They should if we feel the need to do so, it's a case by case basis. The point is call up Joey,Ben and/or Harry and see how they run things at training and if they do so successfully give them a go to see if they can handle test level, Argentina and Japan are the perfect games for this situation. You know if France were in the same predicament this is what they would do, they already did so with Jalibert and Ntamack (the latter didnt even play a big game for Toulouse at 10 before being France's starting 10...) Because France could see these players had potential and they themselves were really struggling at 10 so took a calculated risk that ended up having high reward. The difference is we've seen enough of Ben and Harry for their provinces to know that they have the potential to step up, this is the point where excuses need to stop and we need to start trying to repair the problem.

No player is complete at 22, the point here is he has good attributes and is possibly the most mentally strong 10 we have produced since Sexton, its the sort of temperament we need at 10 badly. The main point is afford him the game time required in order to help him get to the point of being a complete player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

These players don't need test time to grow into the basics of the game. They learnt the basics earlier and develop at club level.

What in your opinion is sufficient time for a 10?

The clear succession plan was Jackson but that failed. Madigan was a good backup and Jonny Holland was also in the planning but had to retire. Those are the players that should be in the game now to take the Jersey. When that didn't work they brought burns back to ulster, moved carbery to get him more game time.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest. Personally I'd play Burns in the autumn. He's the best of a mediocre lot. I don't think Ross byrne is good enough at test level, carbery and other Byrne are made of glass, healy isn't ready but should be in the squad and get time off the bench. Carty is just too inconsistent, missing kicks like he did last week rule him out for me.

Sexton should and will start versus NZL, I dont think anyone is disputing that. But starting him against Japan and Argentina is quite frankly a waste of time as we will learn nothing. These are the games what the autumn is for, you could make a case for the 6N as we have a trophy to win but in the autumn we need to use these games wisely.

Carbery I'm willing to be patient on as he is still coming back from long spells out with injury thanks to being mismanaged and played when he was injured.

Guys like Harry and Ben who have a big upside should be the ones we focus on as the other options (mainly Ross and Billy) arent going to get significantly better by 2023 so its questionable if we would get out of what we put in if we put all our eggs in that basket.

NZL I would ofcourse go full-strength as lets face it, the overall impression of this autumn will be based on how that game goes so the wise move is go all out there but the others should be used to balance both being competitive with looking at the wider squad. Joey & Ben/Harry are the one's we should look at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Besides the obvious why are you even talking about Jackson, on exactly what form would he even deserve to be in the Irish Squad. London Irish haven't won a game this season. Even when they should have won games they have blown it and he has missed kicks to win games. When at Perpignan he was vote in the Top 5 Worst overseas signings by Midi Olympique.

“The point is call up Joey,Ben and/or Harry and see how they run things at training and if they do so successfully give them a go to see if they can handle test level”

I mean this is exactly what has been happening, so……….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

How were Carberry and Ross Byrnes development ruined. R byrne is simply not athletic enough or quick enough against the top teams, he simply offers no threat ball in hand so defences just stand off him. When the pack are in trouble he lies so deep he in a different post code to the pack. We can't simply just make him quicker!!

Carberry is nearly the opposite, he more than athletic enough but lacks control at 10, he just doesn't make decisions quick enough. He looked so good at 15 as got a a chance to scan field to see space. You simply don't get that at outhalf and often unfortunately takes too much out of the ball, without sticking defenders or runs up his own arse.

Billy Burns is just brutal plus a turnstyle in defence.

I hope Healy starts this weekend so we can see if Scarlets was a progression, he is the most physical and up until last game looked like a bit of R Byrne clone solid but dependable. If he offers that range of passing on the line like he did against Scarlets, give him a go against the Argies. He does have a very good temperment. If Harry byrne can last more than 20 mins would love to see him involved as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be fair, I would not describe what you have outlined in your last 2 paragraphs as a "good look" at anyone. If we want a "good look" at someone they need to picked in a first choice team, in successive games, and given an actual chance to develop. Pick one of them and give them an actual go, if the desire is to plan for the future. I am not sure there is much desire for this, and I suspect we'll see a lot of Sexton.

It is fairly obvious that none of the pretenders will ever be of Sexton standard, but it is also fairly obvious that come 2023 it is likely that most of them will be a better option than a 38 year old. I don't really care how determined he is to play on that long, the reality is he can't stop his body aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lads, he just refuses to see reason

You're not going to get anywhere by arguing with him.

A good look means training etc as well. We’re the. talking 5 games where Sexton plays about 80 or so minutes in total. Meaning others get the remaining 320 mins or so. I would have thought that was pretty good myself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No I mean we cannot split 320 minutes across 3 (or more) players. That's basically 1 game and a bit each, it's nowhere near enough. We can't take the approach of basically throwing all the cards up in the air and seeing what one lands face up.

Pick someone, give them almost all the minutes. They need to play with Murray inside them and Aki outside them. They need to play with a first choice pack in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Can someone point to an example of when an international team dropped their best 10 and gave an obviously far inferior out half a run of games, not enforced, in the blind hope that he develops into a test level 10.

And whether or not it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One reservation with Burns, as far as I'm aware Burns doesn't place kick even with Cooney injured, and Doak has been doing the place kicking. It'd be pretty atypical for a 10 who doesn't kick for their club to be the place kicker for their country, can't really think of an example.

Advertisement