Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AP2021

If they follow the same timeline as last year then you'd expect to hear this week alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

There are over 500 in the first batch though for this year, more to be viewed, so perhaps it would take longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Friday of the Bank Holiday weekend is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mariagirl

Hi all, I failed the video interview last year. I am hoping to be called later on in this competition. Can anyone advise on what is the best way to approach question 2 of the video interview stage? I just described one example but should there be a brief description of a few areas that demonstrate management? Any guidance at all would be appreciated as regarding how the structure of this question should be approached..3 minutes only for an intro..few examples and summary is tough! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Meadow1013

This is a tricky one and the most important question. On one hand, they want sufficient evidence, which would mean that you have to elaborate a bit on your examples. On the other hand, it seems that they expect us to fit an overview of your whole management experience in 3 minutes. Everyone has a different approach and I guess it all depends on the quality of the content. Perhaps we will get to know more once the results are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

results out, i passed the video interview this time round and got a score of 177 so will have to wait but I'm eager to hear what the next round is as it seems they have gotten rid of the e tray

I passed as well, delighted. How do you know they've got rid of etray?

We are currently inviting those candidates who achieved a total score of 186 or higher to Stage 3 of the selection process - Main Interview and Strategic Analysis Exercise. Candidates who achieved a score lower than 186 will be called forward in due course.

Last year the e tray was a separate exercise, someone could correct me though and say they call it a strategic analysis exercise

I failed mine last year after using the same example for another video exercise so changed my approach this time round and it was my best score. I gave an overview of my management experience using 4 different short examples instead of using one good example I also focused more on budgets and finance this time round whilst last time it was very much people management focused. Hope that helps

Oh yes, just saw that. Didn't read the whole message first time round. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CoonCat01

What on earth is a Strategic Analysis Exercise??

I had one before for the UK civil service, you got a briefing pack which you had to read, write a letter to the Minister with your recommendation. So I'm guessing something similar but I could be completely wrong

I should add this was done on the same day as the interview back in pre covid times. about 15 of us in a pc lab and then a 15 min break and in for our interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Just got results. Failed on Q2 (management experience). In hindsight, maybe I didn't structure my answer very well.

I talked broadly about my management experience first and then gave two examples I thought were quite strong.

Hard to know what the correct approach was.

Anyway, on to the next one.

Best of luck to everyone!

Post edited by JoeSexton on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Diddlydoe90

Failed this. They’re looking for a kidney it seems or your first born. I have massive experience and set it out clearly. Absolutely gutted. I scored 35 in decision making - cannot see how. And got insight from last years successful candidates. Best of luck to all who got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jaeger_Jen

Thanks for this information. Obviously a new approach they're taking. I'll be in the 2nd batch too so hopefully its a bit of time to research the structure.

Twenty points lower than last year, but enough to get through. Interesting given the content was precisely the same, and delivery pretty much the same too.

I wonder if they intend to do interviews in person if they're doing a two-section thing with the analysis exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

I failed too, my answer was a more detailed version of that for last year's which I passed, so I'm at a loss now. Maybe my delivery was awful (I don't think so), the criteria different or the competition just stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Diddlydoe90

I am stumped. Sorry to hear this for you too. I’m already operating in an AP role. But at this stage I think maybe specific competition may be the way to go. And they wonder why people move to private sector. Sorry for being a negative Nancy. Good luck with next steps everyone. I think the standard is extremely high this time so fingers crossed all 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

Also failed on Q2. I listed recent experience from before joining CS that obviously wasn't sufficient. Problem is, I wont get the anywhere near the same level of experience (or higher) in my current role in CS. Certainly I wont by next year's competition. Not sure what to do now 🤔

Congrats to everybody that got through!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz Ella

Out of morbid curiosity, those who didn't pass but are working in the CS already - what grade are you currently serving at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Meadow1013

Failed Q2. I got 83 points in the HEO comp for my management answer. I tweaked it a bit to include a short overview of my management experience to date, perhaps I should provide more evidence for the overview part.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

Well, I have failed leadership question but passed the other two. So it makes my situation a bit clearer for the next time. On the bright side, no more tests and interviews for a while :) Life goes back to normal. Best of luck to the ones who made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chloe_boards

Did anyone happen to have saved the info booklet by any chance? Looking for the recruitment unit’s contact details that should be on the front page of it but obviously did not save it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sheepgobahhh

Passed the video interviews and made it into the first batch for the next stage. Very curious whether it'll be in person or not. Suppose they didn't want to be too specific given updated government guidelines coming out this week.

congrats, please keep us updated. I have to say personally I prefer the zoom interviews.

have they said when they will update you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 collywobbles1

It’ll be online I’d say, PAS office undergoing big renovations at moment so technically they’ve no office!

Takes up to a week, I imagine that there'll be some logistical difficulty with scheduling if they are proposing to hold the interviews in person. Presumably can't check vaccine status for instance, so they'd have to be very cautious with social distancing.

Would prefer an in person interview personally, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue with zoom as it would allow them to move much more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Massive experience is a hindrance in civil service :-) I was bemused I got 35 (I was selected in another competition for an AP position and that comedy with PAS was a different story altogether). Out of curiosity: those who didn't make it, did you get this magic 35 as well?

Advertisement