Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Any word on Prendergast? Hope he's not out for long, I think he's consistently been one of our best players since his injury. Probably one of the hardest working players I've ever seen, and impactful in everything he does, be it carrying, tackling, passing, lineout jumping, counter rucking etc.

I do wonder if he'll be encouraged to slow down a bit. I generally pay very close attention to him and he literally does not stop, he is constantly first man up in attack and defence and if he's not carrying or tackling he's making a nuisance of himself at the ruck or trying to charge down a kick. It's great to see but I'm not sure how sustainable it is, it seems to me that older players have learned with experience to pick their moments a bit more.

Sean O'Brien (our one) was similarly all action when he made his breakthrough and I heard from the camp that he was encouraged to mind himself a bit more as the injuries mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Screenshot below of just after Scannell kicked the ball, he set his right foot down just before the ten metre line, and you can just make out that Beirne has both of his feet before the ten metre line too. so at that moment after the ball had travelled about 10 metres, he had retreated by a metre and Scannell had advanced a bit so they are then in line before Beirne chases the kick.

If that is the picture whether to give or not give a try, I think that would be given most of the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If we stop on this frame, we can clearly see that (in relation to the Dealey Plaza) the outriders are behind the hindmost tail-light of the presidential motorcade and therefore onside.

If you like more of this high quality analysis, don't forget to smash that subscribe button, buy some tat and contribute to my ongoing grift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If you make arguments (seemingly often ridiculous arguments) on a public platform, you're going to get criticised. Don't want the criticism, don't make the arguments. Jesus, it's like me offering an opinion on here and then being upset someone counters my opinion. Surely we haven't reached that point...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Tom Farrell out for up to 8 weeks. Not great for him obviously but not as bad as I thought it might be.

Fifita's non-selection explained, he has a knee injury. Won't be available this weekend.

Prendergast awaiting scan results on his ankle.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1450417281222197253?t=M2fgvxiRN60aqHTwWfKL2g&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The return of the injury imp to Connacht.

Terrible for Farrell after missing nearly all of last season but Connacht do have depth in the centre compared to some other positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Love this line in particular "They have a particular fear of one domestic referee currently,"

6-8k expected in the Aviva……with grounds being fully open from Friday there would have been more in the Sportsground probably.

Poor decision it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't understand why Connacht would play away from their home base. I hope they get a decent attendance. I think there will be about 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I think its fairly clear why Connacht are playing away from the Sportsground. Not that hard to understand. Theyre getting the ground for free. not paying to rent the Aviva and therefore can keep all the profits. They will get more than the Sportsground can hold which is not even 8500 people. 15000 even 10000 is still a few hundred thousand euro that they wouldnt have earned in a time when theyve lost a lot due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So they get to play in an almost empty stadium. Leaving their supporters back in Galway! What if they get only 8k?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Gah, that's very cringey stuff altogether.

Like, Busby got the try wrong and not going to the TMO was a very bad call but otherwise he was decent. Trying to connect that to all these historic injustices visited upon Connacht is some awful nonsense.

The reality is all teams get dodgy calls for them and against them. The reason Connacht seem to be on the receiving end more often than other teams is because they're not as good as the other provinces and therefore find themselves more often in tight games that can be decided by a single call.

Nah, that's a pathetic article.

They will get more than 8K. Many supporters will be travelling over. its not like there is a boycott. Plenty in sportsground on regular basis attend coming from Dublin and many more connacht fans dublin based will likely go to this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can understand the decision but as a season ticket holder for over 10 years now I'm disappointed. We've a christening this weekend, I would have been able to go if it was at home, but not to the Aviva. Know plenty more who can't spare a full day away. I hope they get some late ticket sales and make some money off it, maybe a few more from Ulster will be tempted, but if we give up home advantage, inconvenience a large part of the fanbase and make no additional money I'll be fairly annoyed.

@FF, I agree on the ref, thought he was excellent overall, particularly with his communication with the players. That call, though, was terrible, and hopefully he learns from it.

Plenty of truths in there as well to be fair which makes for uncomfortable reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To be fair to the ref, he can’t be expected to see everything in real time. This kind of scenario is exactly what the assistant refs and TMOs are for. For me it was their failing far more so than the refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

For all the talk of the Beirne call last Saturday there were plenty of Munster fan hysterics after the disallowed try in Thomond last season (I think even TRK knocked their proverbial toys forward out of the cot for days after).

I think Gerry makes some fair points and it isn't cringey at all. There's plenty of Leinster, Munster and Ulster fans I've talked too that downplay how Connacht were in huge danger of being killed off in 2003. The significance of that was massive and still rightly leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many.

The level of abuse players are getting these days is off the charts, imo. And while TRK doesn't directly abuse players, he is part of the entertainment system that allows it happen. Even his aggressive manner makes it easier for others to go too far, imo.

The online stuff does get into players heads, Stockdale and Kleyn have both discussed it recently enough. Stockdale used to check twitter in the dressing room post match, iirc.

Thankfully we have Earls coming out and being honest about the mental pressures players are under, I hope some of the more enthusiastic commentators will reflect on whether they are really adding anything to the conversation with their comments.

I'll put it in a Munster context, there's lads who can't praise Healy without also slagging Carbery. It's needless, and it's usually hilariously ill-informed. None of us (or virtually none of us) have any idea of what it's like out on a professional pitch. These guys are operating at a level way above any level we reached.

To drag the post back to TRK, he's entertainment but he's not really analysis. He appeals to lads who want to be entertained, not necessarily to people who want the game deeply analysed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

TRK is using the Beirne maybe in line when the ball has kicked like Beirne had advanced from behind Scannell, but the law is that Beirne, because no team mate played him onside, he had to retreat behind scannell, or not advance forward until he had been played onside by a team mate

Its not difficult to understand really. Clear as day offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

This thread used to be a safe haven but is becoming as much of a dumpster fire as the rest of this godforsaken site. Shame the Connacht Clan forum died a death.

Most certainly and its a big criticism i would have of officials at this level that you dont hear them enough on kicks in open play call hold or something similar for players who are in front of the kicker to stop moving to allow them be brought onside. Ref cant be expected to see everything as you say especially in real time and it very much is a failing of the Assistants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It will be great to have Tom Farrell back before Christmas. Hopefully Prendergast's injury isn't too bad. He has been fantastic.

Is there a date for the arrival of the new LH ?

Big test this Saturday again against a flying Ulster. To grab a win would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

There's a difference between fans and a head coach. Also, there weren't many articles being written following the rainbow cup game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Are you sure on your maths there? An extra 5000 tickets paying 40 would be 200,000, how much are tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think his point is doubling the capacity of the Sportsground would give you 15k/16k and he feels that number is achievable.

They've basically handed over home advantage and possibly alienated some few fans in the hope of making money. I can see why they needed to do it but it's tough on them now if it's not a success. An empty Aviva might not entice many new fans on board either. Obviously it was a tough decision for them to make but it's not looking to be a great one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Didn't CJ basically come out after that game and call the ref a cheat - 'It felt like we were playing against more than 15 men'? It also isn't as if Munster coaches have never questioned a ref in the past.

There is some absolute hypocrisy with certain people (be it posters or internet personalities) suddenly coming out to defend the honour of refs, the same people who have in the past either had no problem complaining endlessly about them or staying silent when others complained and these people will once again have no problem doing the same if their lose a big game based on a bad call

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tally Ho - go get them internet personalites.

Maybe organise a public flogging in the Avivia at halftime during the Connacht Ulster game. You never know maybe that will increase ticket sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah but I think few hundred thousand extra is a push, I absolutely get why they tried it but I suspect it’s not going to be a very big success. If they get 12,000 and lose the match I’d think it might be seen as a bad idea.

Advertisement