Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne and Farage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Would I be too cynical in suggesting the reason for having someone so peripheral to Irish life on the show was to try and embarrass him and get some approval on Twitter? I'd like to think that's a cynical view, but I'd say it's probably accurate unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How is her 'journalism' very poor?

He started pontificating about why the Irish fought the British, and she took him to task about his knowledge of the history of this island by showing him a clip of him saying 'up the RA' without any clue whatsoever to what it means to back up her point.

Do you even know what journalism is? Because what Claire Byrne demonstrated is journalism in its most basic form.

I would agree it was rather basic. if she had handled it appropriately she would have presented him with points that countered his argument, but left the focus on him rather than herself. Plus sneering the he hasn't a clue, even if most viewers would deem that to be true, undermines herself rather than Farage, it's the type of journalism you get quite a bit of in the US, where coverage of politics tends to be ideologically driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Pleasantly surprised to see so much criticism here of Byrne. It’s undignified that a serious journalist representing the national broadcaster would allow herself become offended (almost as though on behalf of Ireland) by a clown such as Farage, who was inevitably going to say something provocative.

If nothing else, her implied argument is lousy: that because he wasn’t aware of the meaning of ‘Up the Ra’, his opinion on Irish affairs is automatically invalidated.

I despair at Remainer Brits lauding that clip and the likes of Fintan O’Toole.

But, of course, you have the usual crowd coming straight in with the ad hominem. If you criticise Byrne you must be pro-Farage. The person I quote above bemoans the tone of the thread and pro-Farage and Trump sentiment, before then, themselves, criticising Byrne! I don’t think one person here has expressed sympathy for Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well Corbyn got dubbed a traitor and a terrorist for a remark he made about the IRA so why does Farage get off the hook.

If a lad got Starmer to say "Fk the Queen" for a birthday joke the UK media would go into absolute meltdown and he would end up on top a Guy Fawkes bonfire

• Advertisement

Just for reference, here's the clip the thread is about

Here's a previous run-in between them where she keeps pulling him up on his makey-upey nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Farage is best ignored and not given the air time he craves.

Well observed, this is a huge issue in recent years, if you think A you get labelled as also thinking B, C and D.

In this case pointing out the problems with Claire Byrne's behaviour sees people trying to paint you as an apologist for Farage. Which is stupid. But typical of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Farage is an idiot and no idea why RTE are putting him on in the first place. Was he arranged to be on prior to the "Up da Ra" or did they see a good chance to show him up and hence why they brought him on?

Some people bought his rubbish in Brexit and then watched as he backed away from all the lies he told to get it. Anyone watching what is happening in the UK and think it is a good idea hasn't a clue, at the end they will probably end up losing Scotland and Northern Ireland long term. As Borat would say "Great Success"

It's very hard to see a good reason for having him on now, five years after the Brexit referendum. Particularly as there is no mainstream appetite for leaving the EU here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

How dare you! He has family in Ireland!

But seriously, though, he is the very definition of 'right-wing grifter'. His act is shallower than a garden pond. He was out there last year doing that march for Brexit thing, wearing a flat cap and hunting jacket, and eating a bag of chips, trying to be as stereotypically British as possible. All that was missing was a pint of John Smith's in his hand. I'll give him this, though - it works, but only because British politicians had been so laughably out of touch over the last 15 years, especially since the recession, that desperate ordinary people look to an obvious hack like Farage as some kind of hope. It's only with Brexit passing and the rise of Johnson to PM that Farage's relevance has dwindled. The man is primed to be knocked down by any competent interviewer - but there seem to be too few of them out there and Farage is just a bit too clever to knowingly risk exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well CB would be better suited to a presenter with Daithi o Shea or Afternoon Yak

That's the point, its not even part of the conversation in the media, so did RTE just get him on because of the "Up da Ra"? if so then fair play to them for lining him up, you would think he would of had the cop on not to walk into that one but he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

When the government wants to distract the public they play the patriotism card.

So after folding like a cheap suit on corpo tax and keeping covid restrictions in place till next April or May they use this to distract.

Can't have Nigel telling us all our government lied about guarantees on corpo tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Interesting you're only here a couple months and have enough insight to identify the 'usual crowd'.

Other people are criticising Byrne for taking that approach at all, I'm criticising her for not going far enough. See the difference?

Farage is an odious individual and not enough people challenge him on the various angles of hypocrisy he exhibits. A generation of people in the UK are worse off partly as a consequence of this man and his imperialistic fetish.

In fairness to Byrne, she’s able to hold her own. But yet another example of forcefully interjecting with weak arguments.

Ireland is staunchly pro-Europe at the moment, but that’s largely because it’s anti-English. It remains to be seen what might happen in the future, with the possibility of Sinn Fein, who have been consistently hostile to the EU, leading the next government. Quoting today’s figures while rubbishing the possibility of Ireland leaving in the future is transparently weak.

And everyone knows Lisbon 2 was effectively identical to to 1. The truer argument is that it was defeated because of domestic grievances and so not a reflection of Euroscepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So mad how out of touch this little corner of the internet is with Irish society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

RTE is a mouthpiece for the Irish government and the EU.

It receives major funding from both.

And everyone knows Lisbon 2 was effectively identical to to 1.

Wrong

Before the second vote, Ireland obtained commitments from other EU member states that it would retain control of its taxes, neutrality and contentious issues such as abortion and workers rights. The country of 4.1 million will also keep a full-time seat in the European Commission, the EU's executive branch, rather than a rotating commissioner as envisaged at the time of the first referendum.

I'd say you stand on the pier in Dún Laoghaire wistfully looking across towards 'the mainland' humming Rule Britannia to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Farage is not a serious person. Why should he expect to be treated seriously. He's little more than human clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭Penn

British Rule, was in no way, shape or form, a "Union", and certainly not one comparable to the European Union, an organisation we voted to enter into, share a voice in (however small but that's a different debate), and can willingly leave if we want (as the UK did).

Are you seriously comparing the EU to a foreign invasion and rule for almost 800 years that resulted in a war for independence? Seriously?

I did not miss the point. You clearly don't understand it.

Newstalk school of interviewing. All that matters is a squirm inducing question and a leading question to get a guaranteed soundbite, which can be played on the news.

Never ask questions where the interviewee can actually answer, where you then need to be able to ask a pertinent follow up.

By ‘usual crowd’ I meant the noxious nationalists of this country with their hands permanently hovering over the West Brit card, and you prove me spectacularly right in your next post. What is it with you zealots and accusing fellow Irish people who disagree with you of being beholden to England? Incidentally, it suits me perfectly to be called a West Brit. I am confident enough in my own Irishness to know it’s a ridiculous charge and am grateful for anything that distinguishes me from your kind.

As for your rejection of my claim that the two Lisbon treaties were identical, is a news report in some no-name publication really the best you can do?! The Treaty remained unchanged; what changed was that Ireland was given informal assurances on a number of issues. But anyone with a shred of sense - and I accept that that doesn’t include you - knows that the Lisbon Treaty did not pass the second time of asking because concerns the country had about abortion and taxation had been assuaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I always love this one.

Brexiters: " how dare you say people who voted for Brexit are fools and idiots who were duped "

Brexiters: "people who voted for Lisbon II are fools and idiots who were duped"

I think you'll find that the noxious nationalists are those that are impressed with the focus on isolation that the Brits have pursued. Whatever flavour or Irishness you ascribe to, you're welcome to it. You and the handful of other people who spend their time complaining about pretty much every facet of what is represented by Ireland in the 21st century.

If you don't like the evidence that shows that Ireland received assurances which were adhered to, why not show evidence that the concerns of those against the Lisbon Treaty (either version of it) were founded in reality and Ireland immediately suffered as a consequence of it being adopted. You seem to know why exactly the referendum passed, how about some evidence that supports this view?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Leaving aside the cheap shot about his "Up the RA!" howler. (Why should anyone be surprised by a clown being a clown?) Let's look at some of his statements and take them head on.

"Ireland made the historic error of joining the euro. You now do not have control over the levers that directly affect your economy, The European Central Bank now runs your country. Whoever you vote for doesn't really matter."

Well, having control over an independent currency DOES give you some "levers" by which to steer the economy but did Ireland EVER have such levers? Prior to about 1980, the Irish pound was pegged to sterling. Irish base lending rates were effectively set in London. In those days, interest rates were in the control of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, so the people who operated the "levers" in the 1970s were such renowned Irish patriots as Tony Barber, Dennis Healey and Geoffrey Howe. Independent accountable democracy?

For less than 20 years, between Ireland entering the European Monetary System and the introduction of the euro we had some leeway, as I understand it, but we were required to keep our currency within bands set by the EU to attempt "convergence" of all currencies to permit the introduction of the euro.

Small countries are taking a huge risk if they allow their currency to float freely without being pegged to a larger stronger one. If speculators could force a currency backed by an economy as large as Britain's to abandon a determined policy, as they did in September 1992 (Black Wednesday) they could manipulate the Irish economy, or at least take hold of its "levers" effectively with small change.

"I think it's a matter of time before the Irish people say you know what. We are now a net contributor to the EU. We're not getting anything out of it."

There may well be such a point of view expressed. Whether it would win a cogent argument is another matter.

"No! No! No! No! No! Nobody, nobody on this side of the argument ever suggested putting a border back on the island of Ireland. Only UVDL, your boss nearly did that. Nobody in the British government, nobody in the NI Executive is talking about a hard border. "

Let's see how this one plays out. They're not TALKING about it but will they do it? If they tear up the protocol, refuse any animal checks on traffic across the Irish Sea and then, say, enter into a deal with some country that allows say dodgy drug-fed cattle not allowed by the EU, they will effectively be putting up a border and pretending that it was our fault. He's an utter charlatan. I think he knows this is a likely scenario if the Protocol is torn up.

"What was the point of fighting the British for 500 years. what was the point of it? Do you want to be an independent nation or governed by foreign bureaucrats? That is a debate that will happen in your country in the next few years, believe you me. Do you want to be an independent democracy or part of a European superstate?"

Well indeed. But the crucial difference is, we are a member of this "European Superstate" by our own volition and all we have to do to get out of it is write a nice letter to the President of the European Council. (Charles Michel, today; Donald Tusk when Britain left) Contrast that with what countries had to do to get out of the British Empire. The US had to fight a war for 8 years, the Cypriots had to fight. So did the Kenyans, the Malayans, the Yemenis. India and Pakistan went for the non violent route but still endured decades of repression, massacre, famine and eventually a perfunctory skedaddle and partition which caused millions of deaths.

I don't think the EU and the British Empire are comparable in that regard.

I see you've moved on from being concerned about ad hominem I see.

You're just ranting now. Any evidence, at least I linked to a news report. And if you think the recent conversations about tax are a direct consequence of a Treaty from 14 years ago, I don't know what to tell you. Rant away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Using a 10-second birthday greeting as some sort of benchmark to ascertain the entirety of one's knowledge of Anglo-Irish relations....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

800 years... blah blah blah....

Were the French-speaking Normans (who we invited by the way) British? People keep falling for this 'version' of Irish History, yet then have a go at someone for not knowing Irish History.

Hilarious!

The point is simple. We left one Union, the act of Union of 1801 which merged the Kingdom of Ireland with the Kingdom of Great Britan, and for 50 odd years did things ourselves until we joined what was then the EEC (we only really joined because the UK were going in which is ironic). Now we are in another Union which curtails our sovereignty somewhat.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for curtailing our sovereignty at times and being told what to do because during the 50 odd years we were on our own we made a right old mess of things. We need the Germans showing us the way. But at least I know what's it about and where most of our laws today come from...

Again ill repeat, there is a reason why the hard nationalists and Irish Republicans like Sinn Fein have for decades been against every EU/EEC referendum.

Advertisement