Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, "thin" was the only word to come to my mind when tasting it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,765 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

“Thin” is an excellent description.

I bought it for a recipe as I didn’t want to waste any good stuff, but definitely wouldn’t bother with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Was working the last few days and the missus is away so Monday and Tuesday are my weekend and I'm planning to go through a good few samples! First up is JJ Corry The Battalion.

A blend made up of 40% 13 year old single malt finished for 9 months in Mezcal casks, 30% 9 year old grain finished in tequila casks for 7 months and 30% 9 year grain finished for 7 months in Mezcal casks. 41% abv and limited to 700 bottles.

I've been trying Mezcal over the past year and it's something I've been enjoying more and more of so this is one I've been looking forward to. It didn't disappoint. Notes of apples, pears, vanilla, sweet honey and White pepper. Grassy and vegetal from the agave with hints of cucumber and aloe vera. No sign of smoke from the mezcal. A really nice and unusual whiskey.

Next up is some Springbank 12 year old Cask Strength. A lightly peated whisky at 57.1% which has been distilled 2.5 times which means some was double distilled and some triple.

This is gorgeous. A light peaty smoke. Citrus fruits, cinnamon spice, dark chocolate, sea salt, creamy mouth feel with a dry sweetness. Right up my street and on the list for a full bottle.

I'm glad I read a few reviews on here about this as it's saved me buying a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Cazale I don't think you can still get that mezcal finished JJ Corry anymore?

I had a sample at a BWW tasting I think it was and really liked it, remember drawing a blank when I had a search around for a bottle (outside of auction sites).

Back story is good too - the 'battalion' is the battalion of Irish \ Irish-Americans who fought in the Mexican army as "San Patricios" in the US-Mexico War of 1848. I'd only recently seen a film about it on TG4.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,720 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If barley can have terroir, why not sugar cane?

Just in case it wasn't obvious enough from my previous post, I think that's complete horseshít too... Marketing BS to sell not very remarkable whiskey at eye-watering prices.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

Three more tonight. Heading to Japan, Kentucky and Leitrim.

Taketsuru Pure Malt

A no age statement blended malt whisky from Nikka. 43%. Contains around 10 year old malt. A lingering peat smoke in the background. Dark chocolate and dark fruits, coffee. A nice pleasant whisky I'd try again.

Makers Mark 46.

Supposedly a step up from the standard Makers Mark which I haven't tried. 47%. Creamy vanilla toffee, fruit, oak, spice, maple syrup. Buttery mouth feel. Not overly sweet. For under €40 I think this is worth trying a bottle.

Drunshanbo single pot still.

In the winter I sometimes make porridge with a dash of cream and a dash of whiskey which I top with honey and some nuts. That's what this is with some cinnamon spice thrown into the mix. A lovely whiskey and one which I don't think has been in the conversation as much as it should be. I have a full bottle of the inaugural release that I got as a present and I'll definitely be opening it soon.

They did two batches of 700 but I haven't heard of anymore. You'll get a bottle for €80-100 at auction. Don't think you'll get it anywhere else at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

With a baby due in a couple of weeks had a notion of buying a bottle of whiskey and putting it up till she was 18 or 21 and if she wanted to sell it for a few quid or drink it. Im easy. Is it worth doing that anymore? loved the idea of getting MVR 2021/2022 and putting it away.

any other recommendation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I did exactly that with my two, so I think it's a great idea

I think everyone agrees that MVR is probably overpriced and may not be the best out there, but for a present like that it's very hard to beat, the presentation is spot on. The year is very obvious, the wooden box it comes in is class, it carries a reputation for being the best Irish whiskey (even if it's not true). I think it's the best choice

One thing I'd recommend for yourself is getting a sample to try. Drinkshero certainly did them before. That way you know what you've bought them

And congratulations! :)

Congratulations! Let's hope they don't drink it when they are 15 and you have gone away for the weekend 😁 Midleton seems the obvious choice. You don't know if some of the other newer distilleries will hold their value etc so it's a bit of a gamble. As Electric Nitwit says the packaging and year will look the part too.

With dwindling stocks, high prices and doubts around some of its authenticity I have always found that reality doesn’t quite live up to the hype around Japanese whisky.

India for me is where it is these days for an interesting world whisky experience with the Amrut distillery one of those leading the charge.

Amrut Fusion is a single malt which gets its name by using both Indian barley and peated barley imported from Scotland. At 50% this was aged in ex bourbon barrels. It has no age statement but it’s a young whisky due to the high humidity which ages the whisky quicker than it would in Ireland.

This is a top tier Indian whisky. Fresh tropical fruits with a gentle peat smoke. A creamy and very rich mouthfeel. Spiced Christmas cake and caramel. A long and luxurious finish. Superb stuff altogether.

Kyro Malt Rye is the first Finnish rye whisky and a first Finnish whisky for me. I could also probably count on one hand the amount of Rye whisky I've tried so I'm coming at this almost blind. Distilled from Finnish malted rye and aged in virgin American oak casks this was bottled at 47.2%.

I get earthy notes. Fresh cut grass, creamy vanilla, fruit and spice. Lots of spice! There is a lot going on and I'm not sure what I make of it. I don't know if this is a good rye or a good Finnish whisky. I do like it but the flavours are different to what I'm used to. I'd drink a glass again but couldn't see myself sitting nursing a bottle. Maybe that could change if I experience more rye. As a glassware obsessive they do get a bonus point for giving me the very nice free glass.

That Amrut Fusion sounds great @Cazale, might have to investigate

It's been a long time since I tried anything from Amrut but everything I've had previously was awful. Sounds like they've upped their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What percentage of rye is it, and what's the rest of the mashbill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I wouldnt know enough from drinking it, but if you think waterford are over doing the marketing ‘BS’ then you must be losing the will to live looking at all the other ‘distilleries’ around the country selling bushmills with some other label and some makey up historically significant geographical relevant load of tripe in order to sell spirit under a different name.

You can call Waterford a lot of things, but they are leading the country and the Irish whiskey industry on transparency

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cazale,

Paul John and Amrut have long been producing award-winning whisky, and I agree they merit a second look. I wish they were as available in Ireland as they are in the UK...

In terms of Japanese whisky I think the tragedy is that they are victims of their own success to an extent. 15 years ago Japanese whisky was of an amazingly high standard - Scotch origins or not - and it won awards and rave reviews as a consequence. What happened then was surging demand and ballooning prices. The same great whiskies are still there, the difference is that now they are at a much higher price point and not as competitive as they were. What has also happened is a glut of entrants into the Japanese whisky market who are rushing products to market that are just not that good. That, combined with changing rules we have discussed in relation to Scottish exports, means that Japanese whisky is on course for a protracted and painful correction. I think in the long term they Japanese will end up with a tremendously good domestic whisky culture that is entirely separated from dependence on Scotland, how could they not, with their focus on pursuing kaizen in all things, but it will be a shock to the system.

Jim Murray gave it 97 in his bible before he was cancelled. I loved it but I hate people getting whiskey on my recommendation. Maybe Amrut is still awful and I have awful taste.

I was watching an English lad on YouTube reviewing takeaways. It was good at the start but I noticed that he gave every takeaway he tried a glowing review. I think he just liked takeaways full stop.

Paul John do some great whiskey. I was a fan of Japan before I was a fan of whiskey. I spent my teenage years tracking down old Toshiro Mifune samurai films on vhs and have had an affinity ever since. I regret that I wasn't drinking whiskey at that time before the market exploded. I have tried some really great Japanese whiskey but like you say they are at such a premium that I can't justify them.

Hopefully they can reset and move away from the underhanded repackaged scotch shenanigans. The history and culture deserves more than what we have seen in Aldi recently.

• Advertisement

Genuinely laughed at that story 😋

I'm the same, don't like making recommendations to people. But I like trying new whiskies and you've piqued my interest in returning to Amrut

Flying to the UK next month, for the first time since proper duty free returned. Must look into what can be got there

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

To chip in on the Aldi Kyasuku: I wasn’t impressed with my first pour. Lime and sandalwood smell but in a synthetic kitchen cleaner way. Pineapple and grapefruit taste but it’s thin and sharp and tingly - reminded me of mouthwash.

ill work through it some more, but first impressions and all that….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm going to be in Northern Ireland soon. What whiskey should I pick up that would be a good bargain? Bushmills American Oak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Thanks lads. Ill try get my hands on MVR 2021 before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks. I was being lazy so didn't look it up myself. I'd be interested in giving it a try, so might try and source some. Where is it you get your samples from?

Uncle Nearest 1856

£55 from Master of Malt

My only real experience of Tennessee whiskey is of the Jack Daniels variety. Interestingly or cynically depending on your view Uncle Nearest refers to the first African American master distiller and the man who taught Jack Daniels how to make whiskey. Formed only a few years ago the liquid in this is sourced from neighbouring distilleries.

Made from a mash bill of 84% Corn with a healthy dose of Rye thrown into the mix although the exact amount hasn’t been disclosed. First impressions are that this is very loud and very brash. Bottled at 50% and it shows. Angels delight butterscotch made with whiskey rather than milk. Apple flapjacks with vanilla and spice. Loads of wood comes through from the virgin American oak barrels. I’ve learnt that rye equals spice and that is here in abundance. I like it!

Glengoyne The legacy series chapter two

€90 from Celtic Whiskey

My first ever glass of Glengoyne was at Christmas a few years ago when I was generously gifted a sample of the Glengoyne 25 year old. One of the great Scottish whiskys and one of my favorite whiskeys I've tried. They call crack cocaine the broken promise as the high you get the first time is never repeated. Starting with that 25 year old has left me chasing that promise every since when it comes to Glengoyne.

Known for its sherry finishes Glengoyne have the slowest stills in Scotland which help impart beautiful fruity notes. Glengoyne Legacy Series Chapter 2 is finished in 17% first fill sherry casks, 48% first fill bourbon and 35% refill oak casks.

The nose is pure tropical. Pineapples, ripe bananas and coconut. It’s so tropical that if you put your ear to it you might hear a steel drum in the distance. Creamy vanilla with dark fruits. A warm finish. This is a pleasant whisky worth trying but it’s not a must have. The promise remains broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Or maybe he liked getting free takeaways in return for some positive social media traffic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's a pet hate when bloggers and reviewers slide into a cycle of doing only positive reviews. Although I'm sure that in some instances it is motivated by a realisation that if they play their cards right they can ensure various review items, junkets and potentially the offer of a job within industry or in the old media adjacent to it, I also think there are a few who lose their teeth once they can put names and faces to the companies and products they have been slating. I can understand that, it's human nature.

I have given up on most Irish whiskey bloggers - present company excluded - it seems that no matter what the product actually tastes like, the green jersey is pulled on and it is received with open arms, as long as it is Irish.

• Advertisement

@Black Sheep

You are 100% right. I only did my blog for a short time for those reasons. It was actually doing well visitor wise but you get into a rut on twitter and Instagram and forget why you bothered to start drinking whiskey in the first place. I had a load of master distillers and brand ambassadors following me and you start tailoring your posts accordingly especially when you start corresponding with them. Drinking whiskey for likes and not for joy. I was drinking whiskey at the weekend so I could hashtag and circle jerk it. Just became a burden.

The last straw was when a new Irish whiskeys brand offered free samples that I knew would be no more than grand. I saw a load of the usual suspects on Twitter etc giving unconvincing glowing reviews in the hope of more free stuff. I declined. Fook that.

Advertisement