Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

In summary: a few little annoyances but mostly grand. Can't imagine many here would disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The reason businesses aren't always checking for certs is because the vast majority of people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Is any other country doing 10 to a table in pubs, or anything like it?

That is a genuine question, as in how is 10 to a table suddenly safe now when it was 6 before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That explains why you still think we are in lockdown and are so anxious toget everything completely opened up , bless !

Self imposed lockdown ;)

The part about nobody disagreeing, no I wasn't serious. The part about it being mostly grand, yes I'm serious. The worst thing that could happen imo is that at some point some restrictions have to be re-introduced. We took a step forward today but hopefully not so much that we'll have to go backwards in the near future. I'm still very much worried about what the winter will bring but hoping this more gradual approach will work out well for us in the end.

Most people are except you and JD14 who are determined never to use your Covid Certs , on a point of principle , lol;)

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sitting in your designated seat indoors and having to wear a mask at all times except when seated is not any rational person's idea of fun or normal.

If the vaccines truly work and all the unwashed unvaccinated are kept outside the door, why do we have to carry on with the theatre of masks, table service only, no mingling etc. indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Have ya been to the pub much? Lots of rational people are enjoying the pub. Good to support them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

In German states where you can only access restaurants if you are vaccinated/recovered, there are no restrictions. No masks distancing, table service or any of that nonsense.

At least that indicates to people that the vaccines actually work. Unlike here where you can only get in if you're vaccinated but once inside you have to act like everyone is unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2,399 new cases, as promised by Donnelly, "highest since January ...", 473 in hospitals, down 11 since yesterday, 74 in ICU. 

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2399 cases today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

After today, we'll go back to ignoring the daily figures again as we had been for a while there.

Yes and the experience is a bit shiite compared to what it was. I know people are trying to convince themselves its great but it really isn't.

I'll ask again, if the vaccines truly work and all the unwashed unvaccinated are kept outside the door, why do we have to carry on with the theatre of masks, table service only, no mingling etc. indoors?

I'm not trying to convince myself. I like going to the pub for a pint and some music or to watch the football.

Looking forward to liverpool game later and few beers. Believe me haha

Sounds like you are in fairness. Anyway I'll ask a third time, if the vaccines truly work and all the unwashed unvaccinated are kept outside the door, why do we have to carry on with the theatre of masks, table service only, no mingling etc. indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

What the hell has happened us in this country! People are terrified beyond reason. A work friend told me yesterday his parents (both vaccinated) are afraid to leave the house and rarely do and I am sure there are many in their age group like them. They are supposed to be enjoying the latter years of their lives, not like this!

There are people who want everyone vaccinated and permanently wearing masks! A mass psychosis has hit this country to such an extent we are afraid to live as normal. We have robbed youth of their formative years. It is so bad that is actually a taboo to suggest living normally. I am fully vaccinated and I support vaccination but there comes a point in time where we do have to say stop! If we were to reach 100% what then? This government, NPHET and HSE will come out with something else and people will swallow this hook line and sinker. We need to say stop! Enough is Enough!

Nothing has angered me more than our complete and utter myopic response in this country and peoples deference to it. At this stage I firmly believe its not about Covid anymore. The HSE and NPHET (comprised of some HSE members) are arse covering now. Now that we have opened the Pandora's box of lockdowns and restrictions, they are using these to ease pressure on their failings in the health service in this country and I would have hoped that the government would say STOP on Friday 22nd. Its time for NPHET / HSE to do their jobs now and sort out the shambles of a health service. The health service is there to protect us not the other way around! I do not want to live my life with restrictions to protect a poor health service whose leaders are never off the TV preaching to us day in day out about what we are or not doing (e.g. Paul Reid’s `reset` comment). We should not even know who these people are. Yet they will be defended to the last. We should use any and all tools available including antigen testing which when Mr Snake Oil came out with that statement this should have been the time for government to stand up but no we are too stupid to use them unlike other countries. That finished NPHET for me, the most stupid decision. It’s not a silver bullet but it is an extra tool that could have been used instead of sitting on our hands, something better then nothing. I work for one of the largest corporations in the world and if decision like this happened in our business then there would have been an a mass clear out as soon as this happened.

It pisses me off that there are those who continually swallow their nonsense such as we saw this week with the “the great unwashed/unvaccinated” PR campaign from some hysterics in the media which no doubt is being spearheaded in the background by some in government and department of health as a tool of deflection and spin. How they can look themselves in the mirror after all of this! They should be ashamed of themselves. It scares me that these people have such a platform with the last 19 months with no proper debate as to alternative strategies. It scares me still that there are those who are only delighted to facilitate it.

We have fellow citizens calling for those unvaccinated to be left behind and not allowed partake in life with mandatory restrictions! Genuinely frightening (e.g. Joe O Shea on CBLive last night). The same ones are calling those unvaccinated selfish! The most selfish people during all of this are those who continually support restrictions such as those in the media, leaders in NPHET and HSE when they have failed to adequately question and address the continuing failings in the health service despite the level of vaccination in this country!

I believe it will take a serious scandal involving the HSE, NPHET or government to knock Ireland off this Covid mass hysteria horse and put an end to this sh”tshow! Its indefensible what is going on now with the longest lockdown/restrictions in Europe, the level of vaccination uptake not to mention summer when we should have been open before coming into peak respiratory illness season! As for the vaccine passport a total nonsense with our levels of vaccination the only use I can think of is a means to discriminate and coerce as it, to me serves no other purpose. Nightclubs wear masks unless you are dancing ffs!

A very serious adult conversation needs to be had now and should have been had a long time ago about all of this. We all need to exercise personal responsibility. Our immune system is a muscle which needs to be exercised. Hiding, mask mandates, papers/passports and permanent vaccinations will not allow this. I believe it is possible that due to the protracted nature of our prolonged restrictions/lockdowns, numbers have risen as people have begun to mingle more. If I am sick I will stay at home and take the needed precautions to protect myself and others. I don`t need or want to be listening to Tony Holohan, Paul Reid et al anymore speaking down to us as if we were 2 year olds. They need to get off the TV, sh*t or get off the pot and do their jobs or get people who can!

I know people believe it’s a waste of time but we badly need an inquiry into all of this in time for people to really see some of the nonsense we put up with. I mean surely when Leo went abroad to go to a concert that should have been a red flag as to this shambles? I am delighted he went as it proved that the restrictions we had here are nonsense. We have to go abroad to get some bit or normality but need masks, passes for a cup of tea with 92% vaccinated. We are been taken for fools.

It is now as simple as this, you want the vaccine or you don`t both decisions carry personal risk which the individual needs to weigh up. I am happy with mine to have taken it but under no circumstances expect me to marginalise a small sector of society because of a mass hysteria campaign fueled by single issue media hysterical individuals to deflect from a badly run health service. It’s disgusting and is my line in the sand!

It’s at a stage now people want restrictions or mandates only to protect their own fears not Covid! Now this is ultimate selfishness! If you want restrictions or mandates than you carry them out yourself but do not expect me to live my life ruled by your fears.

This insanity has to stop!

A mass psychosis is exactly what it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Not much gradual about today. Everything is now open, with a bit of token stuff left to be seen to be doing the right thing.

The rules for hospitality will be largely ignored.

It's 10 to a table but I don't see anything about not booking multiple tables, which was the case before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So every single person in a pub or at an indoor concert will be vaccinated but we'll still have to sit down at our tables/seats and mask up when moving around?

What's going to change in February? Do the vaccines work or not? What's the end game here?

Utterly depressing

Think you just need a covid cert to be indoors. Not necessarily vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What will change is the unvaccinated will gain immunity through infection over time.

I've no idea how long that will take, maybe that's why February was mentioned.

Earlier today NPHET basically said that the vaccines are NOT enough to suppress the virus.

They may even be correct about that. Which is why we should have spent the last 2 years doing everything in our power to come up with long term solutions like extra capacity or maybe even a dedicated hospital. Things like Antigen tests etc. Instead we spent our time renting the convention centre and deciding how much a substantial meal costs…

So now here we are with the Doctors telling us that vaccines might not be enough and more restrictions may be needed again. Which could easily become permanent/ongoing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The media arm of the Gov RTE is responsible for turning the nation into scared neurotic hypochondriacs. Turn on Sky news and the difference to RTE is night and day. . RTE ought to be ashamed of themselves for the pressure they are putting on people's mental states

Advertisement