Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I stil don't understand the market for 1 beds at €1800+. I get many ads for these types of place online too, but I just don't know who they're really for. The only thing I can think of is things like short-term corporate rentals, but there just can't be that many of those. It's not even a case of people paying for it with HAP. A couple on HAP can, at most, rent for €900 (up to €1080 with an exception), which is well less than what these cost.

I understand the rational business case for keeping an apartment empty a few months to avoiding getting locked into a lower rate when you're in a rent-pressure-zone. But with these ones, I just don't see who is ever going to want them at that price. You'd probably need to be earning €90k+ to be able to pay that rent comfortably, and aside from the fact that very few people do earn that much, it just seems like someone on that kind of money would not want to be living in a one bedroom apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I dont think as many are empty we think. I know my company has about 20 at this stage rented from Reits in the city and from our own staff.

They were expecting people back to the office and foreign contractors over a long time ago so the apartments have been empty since offices are not back yet.

I know they are only paying the ones they rented off the REITs half rent until offices are back, but they are paying the ones they rented from our own staff full whack even thought they are empty.

On the 1 beds, I thing a 1 bed is exactly the same as a 2 bed where renting is concerned for the most part. For both, it will usually be a couple renting.

With the 1 beds you get a slightly bigger living space so some people might prefer that to another small room for storage. Most 2 beds in Dublin are too small (at least for me anyway) to be sharing with other people besides your own family.

The thing is that 1 beds are often just very short on space in general. You'd usually be looking at 50sqm or less in a 1-bed, compared to 75sqm for a 2-bed, and that smaller amount of space can be a bit cramped even for a couple if they're there long term, especially one with that kind of money to spend. A 2 bed can also work for small families much more easily. I've lived in 2-beds the past few years and have been surrounded by families (usually immigrants) with small kids in their own 2-beds. Probably not a great a long term solution for them either, but it does still mean they have some time before the kids get older to stay put.

It's also very easy to rent out the second room if you are young and single, which I had done for a few years on my previous place, which is a vastly better experience than living with 3-4 people in a bigger place imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yes but you are talking about renting them not owning them, so you wouldnt be renting out the other room.

Whenever we lived in apartments we always went for the larger 1 beds. Always found the living space in a 1 bed bigger than the 2 beds we looked at. BEdrooms were usually 1 the same size as a bedroom in a 1 bed apartment, and another tiny bedroom. Only when we had aquired more belongings did we go for a 2 bed, just for a spare room to store stuff. Then when we had a baby 1 beds were defnitley out after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I knew Dublin was expensive for renters but that's fairly shocking!

Is there a point rental unaffordability will make us uncompetitive in attracting the best talent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Hardly surprising.

those in the bottom income and welfare have the easiest life in Europe: accommodation for a pittance and highest dole in the world.

the upper 1% are highly mobile, hence the middle pays for it.

My point was around the many transient workers particularly in the MNC sector, when does cost of living become untenable for them?

No, I mean sub-letting. In my case I rented out a 2-bed for a few years and sublet the second room to cover the rental costs. When my partner and I were looking last time though, even larger 1-beds were all smaller than small 2-beds, so we went for the latter. Especially for people who are working from home now, having an extra room to work in is invaluable, it would have been much tougher in a 1-bed setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

A corporate rent is a business expense to the business so they are paying from pre tax income so effectively the true cost is half the rent fig.

Private rental is aid from post tax income so you have to earn twice the rent pre tax to afford it post tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It already is. I had been hearing stories of high turnover at some MNC due to accommodation difficulties long before Covid came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

You couldn't live there as it is right on the seafront with the whole world walking at your gate all day, every day. Not a shred of privacy.

€1.4m?! Unless it could be replaced with apartments?

Is it worse than this place however? A caravan in Brittas for half a million. You'd get 20 years before it's underwater!

When I was reading the articles on Facebook announcing 10000 new jobs were being created in the EU earlier, obviously the main thing that stood out for me was that it said "EU" but also one article specifically said that Facebook could not confirm how many jobs would be in Dublin as Facebook has implemented a policy for EU based workers to request to work in any EU country where Facebook has an office. People talk and the cost of living being poor value here does travel among people. I think we're now at the point where the housing market will grind the economy to a halt.

I don't see how it's particularly un-private. It looks like a normal small-town house to me.

The second one is the one that looks particularly ridiculous imo. I get that there is a premium on beachfront property, and it's finished nicely on the inside, but at the end of the day it's still a mobile home. It's also not even in a relatively handy location like Bray or Greystones. I've a relative who lives in Brittas and even living in south Dublin near the M50, it's a real trek getting out there, and there's not much in the way of a town in Brittas itself. €500k for what is most likely a small holiday home in Wicklow is huge considering what you could buy abroad for that money.

Aside from that, you'd be paying a lot to live in a place with an hilarious name like "Jack's Hole".

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭bleaks

Is there any websites that give an overview of new property developments in Dublin or the surrounding counties, or what's the best way of finding these, aside from being a vulture fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The prize for headline of the year goes to.....

Waterford whisperer were beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

Quite surprised by that price also. Wouldn’t have much change left from €2m bringing that up to standard. And even at that you have no back garden, only a fairly public east facing front garden. Wouldn’t be for me!

Couple of really eye catching houses on that same road up closer to the Marina side. Wonder what they’d go up at!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

No garden and coastal erosion an issue in the area. Seems madness. I guess nice four beds with a decent garden are hard to come by...

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Best place to get aggregated property development news is the Ireland/Dublin forum on skyscrapercity

• Advertisement

The IMF pretty much saying changing the LTI ratios would be suicidal...

IMF: Need for caution as house prices boom in many countries including Ireland

Around the world, "the macro-prudential rules are here to stay", he said, and that it "is one of the lessons that central bankers and regulators have taken from the previous crisis: You need to be on your toes".

The IMF has said it's time to be cautious about a new global house prices boom in many countries including in Ireland, that is being fuelled by an unusual mix of increases in the costs of building materials and by mortgage rates at rock-bottom levels.

He said that although the reasons for the global housing boom prior to the financial crisis were different, that the IMF nevertheless was seeing a similar sharp increase in prices in terms of scale and its pervasiveness in countries. 

Despite the IMF seeing that the underlying causes were different this time he said "nevertheless we have to be cautious given what happened last time”. 

The risk between credit growth and house price growth that existed ahead of the the financial crisis of a decade ago was not as strong at the moment, which explains the reason the IMF is still hopeful for a soft landing for global house prices

Sold in July for 180k, back up on the market for 325k

By using the term "soft landing" it nearly flags that they're concerned there's a bubble. There would be no need for any landing if this was sustainable.

Lived there for a while. 180k was way to low. Maybe a family sale?

Seems an odd case but lots of interesting outcomes

Council agreed price for 16 homes august last year in Limerick village. Builder came looking for more 12 months later citing covid restrictions and inflation. Council prevented from paying more so Focus Ireland stepped in with funding from Estonia based crowd funding to pay the "much higher" price.

The development is 16 3/4 bed semi d's. The figure quoted is 3.5 million which works out at just under 219k per unit.

Thats not bad with covid disruption, material and labour inflation factored in plus a return for the Estonians.

Puts the cost of building an A rated 3/4 bed home in perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Are they paying 3.5mil for finished or unfinished houses though? Its not really clear from that article and the builder is in examinership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Understandable that a higher price was needed on the back of materials costs and that Council did not have the ability to match. Hard to say what the real story is with limited details, but it sounds fairly messy.

But in the skeptic in me feels that the "council claimed not doing so would result in an unfinished ghost estate" is a bit of a smokescreen, given the current housing market.

I wonder how much of the funding of Focus Ireland was actually from the local council(s) as they get a lot of funding usually from the State. In effect the councils could just have bypassed the financial rules they have to adhere to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

From what I read the company will be taken out of receivership to complete the houses. 250 K is starting to become a base price for 3 bed houses anywhere in the country. The article never stated if the 3.5 million as the last price or the new price for the development.

That area is an nice part of Limerick, you are along the Shannon and off the main road. There is an agricultural college based in that village and AFAIK there is a Secondary school attached to it so everything at your doorstep.

I say the Council's problem is if the receivership happen the houses would have gone on the private market and any replacement project would cost 20-30% more.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Do you know if the land there built on is state owned.?

Would be interesting to know to what extent if any the final price is subsidised.

The social/affordable homes in Mungret where purchased for a similar price.

2 very good locations

Advertisement