Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I would think they are developing the redress scheme as a financial support package for families in dire circumstances because the state has a duty of care to it's citizens. I don't see it as an admission of guilt.

I think you will find that the court cases due to take place soon will be far from open and shut cases. If these cases result in a negative outcome for the homeowners it could really impact on the amount of redress offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

'Dream home' is a term I've heard people campaigning on this issue using so why is it only a problem when I use it? You didn't answer the question I asked in my original post (nor did anyone else) about how many of the affected homes were 2nd homes/investment properties.

I'm listening to the budget phone-in on RTE Radio 1 and the woman who was on about mica would have you believe that the minute you cross into Donegal you see nothing but crumbling buildings and 'people staring into black holes'. Wouldn't exactly attract visitors to the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Im guessing its because you cant tell if someone is a mod or not, hence bold is reserved for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fair enough, I've only realised that you can't tell if someones a mod, yet the bold option is available to all users.

Can you add this extra new rule to the others that are particular to this thread in first post please? In bold of course.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats a good enough idea. Odd thing is that I couldnt post the mod warning in bold in the first post. This new platform is a bloody shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think that's one thing we can all agree on muffler. A shambles is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't answer your question about how many homes are 2nd homes/investment properties as I simply don't know. How would I know that? You'd need to chat to the CSO maybe?

But I can tell you that I would guess that I know at least 30 families personally in close proximity of me, or whose kids go to school with my kids, whose only house, their primary residence, has Mica. And I know of many others who I wouldn't know well.

I also know 8 families personally who have replaced their outer leaf in the last 5 years, at their own expense.

Fair enough, thanks for addressing my question.

As I posted before I'm not against providing assistance to families who are in danger of losing their homes due to mica contamination. What I would be concerned about is that people, mainly from large urban areas, who had built houses as holiday homes and/or somewhere to retire to would get compensated on the back of a campaign that highlights families in dire need. Not that I don't have sympathy for them it's just that I have more sympathy for others who are in more genuine need and dependant on the state's coffers.

As far as I know holiday homes are excluded from the current redress scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Good.

Hope they stay excluded from any scheme that replaces the current one that the campaigners don't think is extensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I wonder if they are excluded from the demand for 100% redress.

The 100% campaign want no one left behind. I don't think they'll get it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Did it cost them more than 350k to do that?

I've no problem with fair compensation, but the estimated cost seem extremely excessive to me.

When you think about what doesn't need to be replaced in a house (windows, doors, roof, stairs, kitchen units, bathroom fittings, any other furnishings, electrical fittings, electrical and water connection, boiler, fireplaces, foundations would still be ok, external sewerage system, most of landscaping and driveway etc etc)

Then you also don't have the cost of planning and council contribution that you'd have with a new build.

To me, the above items account for well more than half the cost of building a house. So is it the case that these people are expecting a brand new house, newly designed and planned? Must be if 300k won't cover half of them.

If that the case, they should be be told where to go. Give them 100k cheque and tell them to spend it however they like

If there is more than 1% mica in the foundations then its game over, it will cost €350k + to right the problem.

This is why mica testing should start with the initial core taken from the foundation, not the wall. If we know the foundation has mica, then its a rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It wouldn't cost 350k to replace outer leaf only but some people who've had this done, at great expense, have then discovered that the inner leaf is now cracking.

In order to avail of the current scheme, you have to reapply for planning. You're not allowing for demolition and disposal in your figures and there's no guarantee that the foundations will be okay. They have invariably been poured with concrete purchased from the same supplier as the blocks.

Article in today's IT on this issue by Jennifer O'Connell.

Donegal’s mica crisis: ‘It’s not who has mica. It’s who doesn’t’ (irishtimes.com)

I read it and as someone not from Donegal I found it interesting. Just wondering what others thought of it?

Another good piece, but nothing we don't already know up here in Inishowen.

As for Cassidys saying they did nothing wrong, and that Mica might not be the cause ..... Not a lot you can say to comments like that.

They say they were testing on-site and their blocks were passing government standards. Well, if that's true, to me that's even more reason why the government need to cover this.

• Advertisement

I suspect some of the questions Cassidys were being asked by the IT that they didn't answer were along the lines of 'were you testing for mica?' and 'have you retained the test results?'.

As highlighted in the article the standards follow EU guidelines but in this country at least are 'self-regulated' with some unknown level of inspection in County Dublin.

There is no evidence, apart from their say-so, that Cassidys blocks were 'passing government standards'. Personally I wouldn't believe anything they said whether it was through a firm of solicitors or not.

Another massive question I would like answers too is are there any blocks being produced today being tested independently and meeting government standards in Donegal or is it still self regulation.

No one seems to know the answer

Indeed. The answer needs to be put out in the public domain.

And if it's found out that the government are still not testing blocks coming out of quarries, despite all the Mica coverage of the past year, well on their heads be it.

This question is frequently being asked in the public domain so seems to be telling me that there is nothing being done, as for on our government's heads I don't think they really care .

This would be a serious issue bordering on insanity by our government and county council organisations if there is a possibility of new houses being built with untested and properly uncertified blocks.

Something seriously stinks here.

Mr mc neeley who was Head of Donegal County council when defective blocks were known to be coming from a certain company has now been made chairman of the independent working group. Even though he has never met the mica action group or any other group for that matter. Well they still refuse to publish the findings of the planning corruption by Donegal county council so what can they not hide or do.

Post edited by muffler on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Remember the famous computer program the council ordered, 3 million and receipts for a lot of expensive meals, but no working program

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It did, but I've seen surprisingly little online about it, on the Mica Facebook page etc.

I don't understand why it isn't being shouted from the rooftops.

• Advertisement

I thought that too but looking at the reaction on Twitter it seems to be a big issue at the moment. He has never met with anyone from the mica action group so I'm thinking that he couldn't of because surely they would of met before now.

Advertisement