Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's called acting dear boy

re: aisling bee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Whats Father Tubridy preaching about this morning?

Was the budget KIND?

Wont affect his wholly undeserved 500k salary...he will be better off.....

If i was minister for finance I would tax RTE staff over 100k a "kindness tax" of 70%.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

James' strong and positive wife Ann rang in to tell Ryan all about her husband.

She said: “His funeral now was brilliant, absolutely brilliant."

Funny how Tubridy seems to attract this type of conversation. I feel for the lady, but there's something deeply disturbing about his behavior. It's wrong to have people on who are still in a vulnerable state. He was going to have Andrew McGinley on the Late Show last Friday. It just seems like he's using these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

He doesn't just attract it, he actively seeks it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Just had a look at his IG.

Brown speckled corduroy sports jacket, oh dear.

Can't post pic.

• Advertisement

What, this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

That wouldn't affect Tubridy as RTE pay fees to his company for his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The very one.

For six marks, can you tell me what direction the wind was blowing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

What's this award he's getting from the Trinity Law Society then?

Most taxes dodged or something?

Even his 'gram is self indulgent, although to be fair he wouldn't be unique in that respect-some people love talking about themselves all day.

The wind must have been blowing directly down-seems to be a bit of dandruff going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Tubs with Guy Smiley this morning

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

i'd love to have a freaky fri or a "big" type scenario with tubs, i'd have great craic , sounds like he had a blast in trinity

tex, the voice of Darth maul in the phantom menace!

and the voice that induced orgasm in black books!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The boy McCullagh must be an even bigger nerd than Tubberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Well respected academic is McCullagh. A deep grasp and understanding of history and politics. I belive his PhD thesis was published with some edits for consumption by the general public. A proper intellectual. Who doesn't need to pretend to read books, regurgitate the same historical tidbits and have a couple of kids books that are mostly illustrations to his name.

Awh here is the rub, its Freshers week. It's the week all the big socs used to blow their load and get in all the big speakers for the year. I remember seeing Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, De Clerk, John Major, Desmond Tutu, etc.

Bit harder to find guests with COVID.

It does bit boast well for the rest of the years line up. If the best law society can do is Stickman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

As far as I know McCullagh is a heavyweight intellectualy and also has a genuine varied selection of interests out side of his work.

This is the opposite of Tubridy who relishes the self perpetuated reputation of being bookish and a 'nerd' but in reality its all phoney and all for show.

Not a bit genuine. It's all hollow talk. The only thing I think he has a genuine interest in is JFK and his connection to Ireland - that and death / illness / suffering of course.

https://universitytimes.ie/2021/10/keep-knocking-on-doors-lawsoc-awards-praeses-elit-to-ryan-tubridy/

He was given the Praeses Elit award for his significant contribution to society. That's bloody hilarious.

"When you reach that fork in the road, choose fun", says the misery merchant to Trinity students. Inspirational!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

when you reach that fork in the road, choose fun!

Surely he is trolling us all at this stage, considering he chooses misery over fun at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Reading that link RT seems to have gone down well in the halls of academe.

I don't suppose we have many students on here, probably a different demographic.

• Advertisement

Yeah the article makes it seem like he went down well, as does his own review of the event given on today's radio show.

In 2020 the award was given to Lenny Abrahamson, the Oscar nominated director. His interview is on youtube.

Maybe they'll upload Ryan's too and we'll have the pleasure of seeing his hilarious authentic self, which apparently has to be hidden from the LLS show audience and replaced with a morbid, awkward bore

(see the article and listen to today's radio show for more on how Ryan is such a different person off screen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think elpo was being passive-aggressive. Just my uneducated view on the post. I'm probably wrong as I, along with the rest of the demographic mentioned, are apparently not student types (or so elpo would like to portray the filthy peasants that slag off the amazing Ryan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Ah seriously

30 seconds in the stick man is doing a promo for his Late Late **** show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Ryan says pity he hadn’t known about #CyberSafeKids or he would have taken more notice etc. It’s been all over Twitter the past while. How about, like, some research?

Gaybo used to do that kind of thing, made him the broadcaster he was.

I hear ya, but it's all good. Alternative viewpoints welcomed and all that!

I'm not really sure what @elperello means by "student type" though, and why Ryan would appeal to them and not others. Students are a diverse group of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds, etc. Maybe it was a reference to the typical first-year who is in college for a drinking session as much as anything else. But Im not sure why Tubridy would appeal to that type of audience in particular. Like, do Tubridy's critics just not get him cos they're not young students? And what was he doing during this interview that he couldn't do on air? Maybe he bought them a keg or something 🤣.

The funny thing is that yesterday Tubridy was boasting that students were telling him how sound he is in real life and he admitted to putting on an uptight persona for the LLS. It's an acknowledgement of how stale the show is.

He's saying that he acts a certain way on air because the LLS is for a specific type of viewer. He didn't describe this viewer though. Who is it? Old people from the country? Maybe as the nation's main TV programme, it should be aimed at a wider range of viewers. Why does Tubridy think his authentic fun persona should be reserved for Trinity freshers? Is he afraid that if he is entertaining on LLS, Bridie and Mary from Ballybackwards will abandon ship? Maybe he should be given a show specifically geared towards pissed-up students?!

Or is he just waffling as usual and none of what he is saying actually means anything?!

I would guess that his interview in Trinity just involved him spouting a load of vague cliches, as he usually does. "Keep on knocking on doors" , says the fella who never had to knock on a door in his life.

I did find the knocking on doors and the "I spent a week in Kings Inn" very telling.

If anyone is interested the fees Kings Inn are about 5k. Obviously less back in Stickmans day. But in line with inflation and all that.

Fair chunk of change for a 21 year old to walk away from after a week.

Lots of knocking on doors to find THAT.

Hopefully Mammy and Daddy Tubridy understood that their little lad was just "choosing fun"!!!

Must be nice to have such a privileged fellow telling you to choose fun this while your break your bollix studying so you can maybe get a gaff in the arsehole of Longford in 10 years time 🤣

but, but, but... Twitter is BullyLand! Cant be looking at that!!

• Advertisement

• I had my poor parents’ hearts broken, though they were extremely sanguine about it. Walked out of Science as so much of first year was a repeat of LC, tried Psychology and found the first year stuff very boring. Then refused to take place in Art college. As unsettled now as then, definitely have ADHD, restless and unfocused since birth. But did take up a pensionable very modest income job, and suffered it enough to retire early with pension.

I am sorry. I hope you are doing ok. It wasnt a dig at you.

And to be fair to Ryan, when you are born into a place or privilege. It is very hard to step outside that privilege and realise how much easier you might have it. Compared to someone else.

Boards Mod..?

Who would have thought that a simple inoffensive two line post could cause so much misunderstanding.

Thank you for quoting the military person's post which I missed.

Probably best if I quote my post again and explain it. (post in bold type)

Reading that link RT seems to have gone down well in the halls of academe.

(pretty self explanatory reference to the link which stated that the students enjoyed RT.)

I don't suppose we have many students on here, probably a different demographic.

(I think not many students listen to Radio 1 and most likely even fewer are on Boards Radio Forum.)

I hope this is helpful and in conclusion I would like to underline the fact that I did not refer to "student types".

The first part in bold was clear. I'm still not sure what the relevance of the second bit in bold is. Are you saying that students enjoy Tubridy and that we are not students here so that's why we criticise his show? Students wouldnt complain about the show on this forum? It wasn't that long ago I was a student and I will most likely be a student again in the future at some point. That doesn't have any impact on my opinion of Tubridy.

It's gas that a fella who takes so much money from the state, has such a controversial tax set up, and who does so little work, is being awarded for his contribution to Irish society. It'd make more sense to award licence fee payers for their contributions to Tubridy's privileged lifestyle 😝

I'm not explaining it again for you.

If you want to go back over the posts do so if not that's cool too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nothing to report from Tubs show this last 2 mornings?

Is he off?

Or just such a boring show now that it's not attracting any listeners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

On the other hand, there is dead air that needs to be filled from 9 till 10 each weekday morning.

Any proposals for an alternative?

• Advertisement

“Power hour” a mix of 80s and 90s noise rock (uninterrupted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

How to fill 1 hour of dead air.

We could cut the bloated MI crew by 33%. Lets face it, there has to be a couple of coach loads arriving there every morning. Then use that 33% to extend MI through the dead air 9-10 slot. No extra salaries shed out and a saving of what 300k p/a. Ryan then has lots of extra time to visit book shops and museums.

Dee, if you want to drop me 10k from your own salary for showing you how to do your job, I'll gladly accept. Cheers babes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Toy Show overload. Inside 20 seconds. Off next week for the mid term. Handy

Teachers hours, I keeps telling’ yez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Same ol same ol . Gibberish for 10 15 minutes. With fake laugh and stupid voices. Find something to slag trump over. Talk about something on the nasty mean twitter. Play a song Annnnnnnndd straight into misery story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Squeeze those tears out Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

No matter how good a mood you are in tubs will do his best to ruin your morning. Misery ghoul. He's overtaking duffy with the misery

choose fun as the fella says, ok changes station

On Monday he was going on about the deaths of Brendan Kennelly and Ronnie Tutt. On Tuesday it was Colin Powell. Not hard-hitting but death-themed nonetheless.

It got a bit heavier yesterday when he almost got tears out of Nadine Coyle by asking her about Sarah Harding. He was telling her he didn't want to dwell on death while obviously wanting to dwell on it.

Then there was today's interview, in which he again lied about not wanting to dwell on the circumstances of the young girl's death.

But he also talks about how he likes books and autumn so I guess, as the song goes, THAT'S Entertainment!

The only thing more depressing than today will be if he interviews Hillary Clinton this week and you have to listen to him licking her hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement