Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Well this is progress at least. There was a time here if you argued had we a better healthcare system with more capacity then we wouldn’t need such strict restrictions to protect it, you would be labelled a sociopath and told the sole goal was reducing serious illness and death for individuals. That our decision makers were looking out for the health of each and every one of us individually.

At least it’s clear now that the majority of the restrictions are/were in place to prevent hospital capacity reaching critical levels, and not too many s**ts are given for the sick and dying at a personal level. Stay home, wash your hands, distance yourself and save lives is quite different to Stay home, wash your hands, distance yourself to save our pathetic healthcare system.

And laying that at the door of the unvaccinated is just buying into the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

Do not compare Ireland to Denmark, Sweden, Norway or UK....they have them own currencies and will do it whatever they want (count new cases, testing or doing restriction)to tackle pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

We have only been able to ease restricitons and open up nearly all of society now thanks to vaccination and those who have been vaccinated in large numbers. In absolutely no thanks to the unvaccinated. What's all the crying about and defending the unvaccinated? If you don't pay taxes you don't avail of the benefits and protections of a state. So why would the unvaxxed expect to participate in society during a pandemic when they've refused to be apart of the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I wonder when will we get word what can/can't officially go ahead. Lots of gigs, pubs, nightclubs planning events this weekend and not much turnaround time. It's ridiculous that there hasn't been more clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Done nothing besides not go to work for 8 months, not see my family or friends, not send my kids to school, not travel within 5kms of my house, not play sports, not eat or drink out, cancel holidays, yep I've done nothing to help.

You do know people who don't pay tax here get over 200 euros a week, fuel allowance to heat the free house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Unfortunately the vaccine has an efficacy of zero against the real disease in this country, incompetence. Maybe we should ask Pfizer if they can work on a vaccine for spinelessness which seems to have infected the highest levels of government and the health system.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

For every sensible post (critical or otherwise of current policies - and plenty scope for both, especially today) there are 5 polemics from posters incapable of even seeing what the alternative viewpoint is. Makes it very hard to stick with this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Completely agree. Can't see how they didn't iron all of this out yesterday at latest. Thinking out loud is never a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The figures confirmed this evening are frightening.

Highest since last Jan.

and this is BEFORE we open up nightclubs

I suspect that they “allowed” clubs to reopen Friday for political reasons.

“ah sure we tried...”

I would hope that sense prevails next week and clubs/gigs restricted

i struggle to think of a worse covid transmission space than Irish nightclubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Heading over in a couple weeks, do you need a pcr test coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For myself, its because blaming the unvaccinated for the current status doesn't make full logical sense.

I'm vaccinated, I believe vaccines work and help the situation. I think people should just get them.

But we are well past the levels needed for herd immunity, we have 92%+ vaccinated and a lot of the remaining 8% are people who had the virus already or who had at least one dose. It includes pregnant women and a lot of vulnerable people who won't be mixing much in society anyway. And it includes a lot of perfectly healthy people that frankly aren't at risk from the virus.

Look past the headlines and it becomes pretty clear that the unvaccinated minority are not really the problem and as such targeting them can't be the solution. And that means they are being used as a scapegoat for more insidious reasons.

And that doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Dickie10

some people are easy frightened........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I would tend to agree with this. Once you get over a certain percentage vaccinated, the small number of remaining unvaccinated don't make much difference one way or the other. You could imagine an extreme example where everyone in the country is vaccinated except one person. There would still be some virus going around but that would be because the virus is not 100% effective at stopping transmission. Getting that final person vaccinated would not make any significant difference one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

A different universe indeed. 223 Covid deaths today! Theres a price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Very Confident because when we brought in restrictions after christmas numbers went down immediatly so opening hospitality definitly caused the increase at Christmas

The unvaccinated aren't the people in charge of a 20+ BILLION healthcare budget and have done absolutely nothing to increase hospital capacity or icu in what will be nearly 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Exactly.

I'm am no friend to anti-vaxxers, a genuine anti-vaxxer is a moron, no question.

But the rhetoric this past few days is that they are the reason we are restricted and that is bullshit. Maybe they deserve 5% of the blame, but they are getting 95% of it.

Vaccinate every anti vaxxer tomorrow and you know what will happen next? Cases will rise as we head into Christmas, thats what.

Hounding anti vaxxers as a scapegoat is just taking the attention away from the real problems in this country.

But everybody will in there will be vaccinated.

Or is the penny starting to drop for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Kind of an odd day when all said and done,

No one actually happy.

Government, begrudgingly moving forward with a Yeah but no but yeah approach, utterly clueless in every respect.

Night time economy sector completely bamboozled, confused and awaiting more info and not happy.

Publican, Hospitality representatives un happy, but that's not something new or surprising.

HSE top brass ( with necks of brass) in Panic mode very unhappily concerned.

Nursing, frontline staff exasperated and exhausted, clearly going to be unhappy.

Those in favor, unhappy at any measures remaining

Those against, perplexed & confused ultimately unhappy.

Public service Unions Furious (always) and typically unhappy.

Teaching Unions about to predictably unhappy.

Opposition politicians, like Rabbits frozen looking into bright headlights, want to be unhappy, but as confused as the rest of us.

Very odd , very bizzare, very unhappy world we live in.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

As a unvaccinated citizen I have availed of everything this year I’ve been to pubs/restaurants numerous times, overseas football games and a foreign sun holiday.

I will be going away for a couple of days break soon down the country and another one planned for the end of year all the while unvaccinated eating and drinking with my vaccinated fellow citizens, follow the science.

They can keep the pass forever, it won’t make a difference to my life it’s back to 2019 for me.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nobody was vaccinated in January.

Comparing apples with oranges in terms of outcomes.

Time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Substitute Healthy for Asymptomatic........👨‍🔬

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Great to see it. Rural locations have been like that for a long time now. My local haunts in suburban Dublin are doing similar.

Very well put and its really quite extraordinary that all the experts have by way of explanation (blame) is absurdly claiming a very small percentage of the population at fault. Not once have I heard mention from experts about the large percentage of this cohort that can't be vacinated and never will. I know a few and they are absolutely cautious and act completely responsibly, not just for the sake of their health but others. I personally believe there's at least 100k people in Ireland that can not be vacinated and on top of that many children won't be.

I'm absolutely pro vaccine, got my 2 doses and in a very high risk category, likely needing a booster which I'll accept when offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The hounding of the people who have taken a decision not to get vaccinated for whatever reason is a great shame on this nation. The stench of fascism is rampant in Ireland at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I agree. Most people won't notice much of a difference the day after the 22nd. Masks still in retail and on public transport. Certs still needed to get into the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

This is exactly the problem under current rules you are not supposed to be able to visit Pubs Restaurants but of course our responsible hospitality industry are enforcing all the rules 🤣

• Advertisement

I completely agree and it's despicable particularly when most people with common sense know exactly what the problems are

Advertisement