Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Stop indulging him.

He clearly hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

No magic required, just give a young 10 with potential game time and let them grow. If Ntamack was Irish he still would probably be getting skeleton minutes off the bench and we wouldnt know how much potential he had until probably his mid twenties. They havent put time and effort into Carbery, he wasnt challenged in any game he started, likewise Harry Byrne. Ntamack had to go through a full 6N and mix the good with the bad to improve and by the end of 2019 he was nominated for the Young Player of the year award, if he was Irish he would have been at his provinces in pre season rather than a RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Oh my God, SSSSSSSSTTTTTTOOOOOOPPPPPPPP!

For the love if God just stop. We get it. So can we please move on!?

With Addison out, who gets in as the 2nd fullback?

Haley

Zebo

Lowry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Having Murray or others in the team for kicking doesn't necessarily mean you can carry burns.

In around 90 international caps Murray has kicked just 10 goals. He doesn't kick full time for his club. A bit of a risk to give him the reigns at this stage at international level and no guarantee he will be starter in 2 or 3 years. Doak might be a different story if he keeps progressing he might be first choice kicker regardless of who starts 10.

Burns is a good club player, solid, but never has been and never will be a top quality international standard 10. If he was or showed that potential he wouldn't be playing for Ireland. The fact his own team have given the kicking tee to a 19 year old ( a gifted one) tells its own story.

How Andy farrell and cat picked him last year to start in 6 nations is actually beyond me.. you'd nearly wonder are they watching him play and kick.

I think carberry deserves a place in the irish panel for November. He did reasonably well( against poor opposition) in the summer and while he has missed a number of tackles having the tiny Craig casey one side of you and Dan goggin the other with little protection and very low tackle numbers from your back row is not ideal. If we allowed Murray and sexton time to try play back into form then the same could be afforded to carberry.

I think the 3rd 10 will be Harry byrne. The fact Ross wasn't in the 50 man group that met up last month or put in ahead of burns tells its own story. Farrell and cat simply underrate him.

While Harry is not spectacular he is more than capable and has shown great potential at times. He will be used to playing and training with about 10 of the starting team for the ireland games too. If he is not given his head now.. then when. These are basically challange matches with no bearing on RWC pool draws and all the games are going to sell out.

What I would love to see personally is Frawley named in squad. I just wonder would a second playmaker at 12 take some focus off the 10 inside him.. be that sexton carberry or one of the byrnes..

I dont think we will see too many uncapped players named tomorrow given the numbers of caps handed out in the summer. But hopefully we see 2 or 3 in the likes of Doak and Frawley. And maybe some of the deadwood cut loose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The POM and James Lowe bashing was more enjoyable than this.

Changing topic completely…. No Champions Cup games before the AI’s this season for fringe players to maybe force their case. The 3 games are all against decent opposition tho, which perhaps gives Farrell more options than usual, as there isn’t the usual 2nd tier game.

The back-row selections are going to be very interesting. Personally, would love to see Coombes get (at least) one start, but there are so many options / combinations possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He may decide he has enough cover in the squad already with Lamour and maybe Stockdale too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Irish fans are far too harsh on our options at 10. Joey, Burns, Carty and Ross are all internationally capable options but desperately in need to be backed for a run of games.

I'd love nothing more than for one of them to start all 3 tests and see Sexton moved into more of a bench finisher role for the last season or two of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

All I know is anyone with two eyes and a brain can see that Harry and Ben have what it takes to make it at international level.

What top European games have Harry and Ben played in that makes everyone see they can cut it at international level?

I've seen 2 fairly ok 10's play alright against some of the weaker league teams. Have you seen something different?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why would you 'love' nothing more than our best 10 by a street to be benched?

Nobody is saying Carbery, Burns, Carty or Ross are bad players, but they aren't in the same league as Sexton but yet you would 'love' to see him benched? Why? None of the four have put their hand up to take the jersey off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I see rumours of the forum's death due to the change in software has been greatly exaggerated. What a delightful scroll

Please stop feeding him.

He can't be reasoned with. It's futile.

The 10 debate has been exhausted.

Yeah I can see Carbery playing 15 this November...

for Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've skipped the last four pages of posts, can't remember the last time I did that on an Ireland thread, but it appears the topic is the same.

Would we as Irish fans love for their to be someone else other than an ageing Sexton stepping up and taking the mantle? Yes.

Are any of the other options available doing so? No.

Have they been given the opportunity? Yes, though not as much as we'd like.

Is Carbery the answer? No. I (and others) have long since said we don't think he's the answer, and his form at Munster backs that up.

Who would I pick that isn't Sexton? All things being equal as regards fitness, Burns.

Do Harry Byrne and Ben Healy have a shot at it? Yeah, for sure. Some good game time and runs in the Leinster/Munster jerseys at top level and then some games for Ireland and they're 100% in the mix.

Do I think it'll make a difference as regards 2023?

Nah.

Then again I'm a pessimistic bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GeordieC

Gerry Thornley's The Irish squad might, or might not, look something like this:

Hookers: Kelleher, Herring, Sheahan.

Props: Porter, Kilcoyne, Healy, Furlong, O’Toole, Bealham.

Locks: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, Wycherley.

Backrows: Doris, Conan, Van der Flier, O’Mahony, Coombes, Timoney.

Scrumhalves: Murray, Casey, Gibson-Park.

Outhalves: Sexton, Carbery, H Byrne.

Centres: Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, McCloskey, Hume.

Back three: Keenan, Earls, Larmour, Lowe, Stockdale, Conway, Zebo.

Would feel bad for Baloucoune if Zebo is thrown straight in ahead of him

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Carty has to be there ahead of harry byrne, notwithstanding the fact harry byrne is currently injured

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

New Zealand, 2015, Dan Carter took a 6 month sabbatical then almost didn't make the WC then made it and won the final with a drop kick.

If we could do that I'd be happy enough.

I'd also take the 2011 version of travelling with only one international quality OH, having him and his two inexperienced backups injured good and winning the thing anyway with the equivalent of Ian Madigan playing the final.

I'd even be OK with sending a team with no OHs whatsoever, playing Murray at 10 and Doak at 9 and losing the final by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GeordieC

Same article disagrees

"Harry Byrne is seemingly set to play this weekend after recovering from the hip injury he suffered last Saturday week against Zebre, which could contrive to see Jack Carty and Billy Burns miss out."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think Carty will feature either way, Burns will be ahead of him for the third OH spot.

Think that squad would be OK, overall it's pretty progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Really hope Sheehan gets the nod. On the contrary, I hope Carbery doesn't, he really needs to build some confidence before expecting him to play for Ireland. Putting "you are backup to the very injury-prone Sexton" tag on him is only crippling his confidence IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Poor ruddock if that's the case what does the guy gotta do to nail down a place he's consistently good and does alot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

is Baloucoune injured?

He only has 59 minutes so far iirc.

If he's not its just weird that he's out of favour. Genuine pace is something we are crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Whycherley would be an interesting inclusion if Thornley is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Would be delighted for Sheehan if he gets the call. Getting capped for Ireland at this point would be an unfortunate one way ticket for him to another province (should he choose to go)

I'd take Molony over Wycherly at present but would take Thornbury over both if the kid could just stay fit.

Would be happy with that squad if announced apart maybe 3 positions.

fcrumhalfves are not picked on form or ability. 2 are provincial subs.

Think zebo got in as cover for FB when Addison pulled up.

Id be more wondering what Conway has done to stay ahead of Robert Baloucoune.

Also I'd have frawley in ahead of mcloskey As he could offer us something different from 12 then bash it up Or chasing box kicks

Conway was beginning to regain his form towards the end of last season and has started this season pretty well. There's a case that it's Lowe (who wasn't in the Summer squad) that has been selected ahead of Baloucoune.

Yeah true Lowe hasn't done alot to deserve his selection either.

I'm a fan of Conway. Defensively he is very solid and maybe his ability to chase a conor murray box kick gets him in ahead of Baloucoune.

• Advertisement

Mack Hansen and Jack Carty robbed

Everyone just hates Connacht

Advertisement